Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The "Chernobyl" sequel is happening right now

While Americans obsess over whether "Fredo" is an ethnic slur, another nuclear accident is fucking up Russia as we speak.

American intelligence officials are racing to understand a mysterious explosion that released radiation off the coast of northern Russia last week, apparently during the test of a new type of nuclear-propelled cruise missile hailed by President Vladimir V. Putin as the centerpiece of Moscow’s arms race with the United States.

American officials have said nothing publicly about the blast on Thursday, possibly one of the worst nuclear accidents in the region since Chernobyl, although apparently on a far smaller scale, with at least seven people, including scientists, confirmed dead. But the Russian government’s slow and secretive response has set off anxiety in nearby cities and towns — and attracted the attention of analysts in Washington and Europe who believe the explosion may offer a glimpse of technological weaknesses in Russia’s new arms program.

Thursday’s accident happened offshore of the Nenoksa Missile Test Site and was followed by what nearby local officials initially reported was a spike in radiation in the atmosphere.

Late Sunday night, officials at a research institute that had employed five of the scientists who died confirmed for the first time that a small nuclear reactor had exploded during an experiment in the White Sea, and that the authorities were investigating the cause.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63August 25, 2019 12:31 AM

Per Rachel Maddow Tuesday night, the Russian government announced an evacuation of the local area, then reversed their decision to evacuate. Apparently whatever blew up went into the water, and local officials need to pull it out.

Eek.

by Anonymousreply 1August 15, 2019 1:02 AM

Russian cellphone footage of the original explosion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 15, 2019 1:06 AM

Another one of these nuke powered missiles crashed into the Arctic ocean earlier this year.

The USAF explored the concept of flying a nuclear reactor. One test vehicle was flown before the program was cancelled in 1958. Someone realized out the there would be a big mess when a nuclear reactor falls out of the sky onto a populated area.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 15, 2019 1:16 AM

Good god. At first, I wondered if they were testing ion propulsion, but this is much more serious based on that concentric shaped explosion.

by Anonymousreply 4August 15, 2019 1:38 AM

I’m so happy they got another season. Season 1 was fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 5August 15, 2019 1:51 AM

That explosion looks odd and not in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 6August 15, 2019 2:28 AM

"Per Rachel Maddow Tuesday night, the Russian government announced an evacuation of the local area, then reversed their decision to evacuate."

Dear God, my deepest sympathy to anyone who lives in that area! The Soviet government didn't make the lives of local residents a priority in 1986, and the modern Russian government probably puts even less value on the lives of ordinary citizens.

I bet the richest residents were helped out within the hour!

by Anonymousreply 7August 15, 2019 2:46 AM

Apparently the Russians have developed the world's first Nuclear Selfie.

by Anonymousreply 8August 15, 2019 2:57 AM

R8 That is the single most wickedly funny thing I have read in months.

by Anonymousreply 9August 15, 2019 2:58 AM

Leave it to the bumbling, incompetent Russians to ruin the world.

by Anonymousreply 10August 15, 2019 6:04 AM

Russia should send their internet trolls to go clean up the mess.

by Anonymousreply 11August 15, 2019 4:53 PM

Russia. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 12August 15, 2019 5:18 PM

The Russians recently sent nuclear capable bombers to the region facing Alaska. This deepens my hatred of Putin.

by Anonymousreply 13August 15, 2019 5:27 PM

R5 wins the prize!

by Anonymousreply 14August 15, 2019 5:27 PM

And Russia just invented “Surprise Nuclear” which really does supersede “Surprise Anal”.

by Anonymousreply 15August 15, 2019 9:58 PM

Great. Even more mutant Ruskies crawling round the planet.

This incident is definitely going to screw up the Russian made version of Chernobyl where instead of almost destroying half of Asia, Putin rides in on a unicorn and parts the land around the reactor and all the fallout waste gets levitated to Heaven.

by Anonymousreply 16August 15, 2019 10:42 PM

As long as Trump is potus, Russia & China will do whatever they want.

by Anonymousreply 17August 15, 2019 10:52 PM

I can feel the radiation from my house.

by Anonymousreply 18August 15, 2019 10:56 PM

Shithole country.

by Anonymousreply 19August 15, 2019 11:46 PM

The video at r2 is chilling. Is it real, though? It looks to dramatic to be real. How would a civilian have a camera setup ready? Though, Russia has a lot of webcams.

by Anonymousreply 20August 16, 2019 6:17 AM

^Too dramatic

by Anonymousreply 21August 16, 2019 6:17 AM

I worked in nuclear submarine design and construction. The Russian sub fleet is a disaster.

They made series of subs with titanium bulls. It’s a priceless material, so the expense was massive. The material is incredibly strong. Much stronger than the steel of that era. So, the material was expensive, but the hulks were thinner than steel hulls. One series flaw is that titanium is subject to “stress corrosion cracking”. This means that their subs could go deeper than ours, but that they could only do their deep dives a limited but unpredictable number of times, before the material becomes brittle and catastrophically and unexpectedly fails. *pop*

My friend’s Dad died on the USS Thresher in 1963. It failed critically during sea trials. I later, coincidentally, worked on the same systems that were the cause of the failure. All the SECRET classified info I knew in the 1989s is now published in Wikipedia. I don’t know how that happened.

by Anonymousreply 22August 16, 2019 6:26 AM

I think their titanium subs are all useless now. Though, it is a full generation later. The first US subs I worked on are being decommissioned now. Death in a subsurface sub collapse is a horrible way to die.

by Anonymousreply 23August 16, 2019 6:28 AM

Please this is tiny compared to Chernobyl. It's like saying a sneeze is a sequel to double pneumonia

by Anonymousreply 24August 16, 2019 6:31 AM

I meant “titanium hulls”, not “titanium bulls”, of course, in R22.

by Anonymousreply 25August 16, 2019 6:31 AM

This is tiny, R24, but it tells us the Russians are building nuclear powered missiles. We abandoned this idea decades ago because it’s stupid. Think about it - a nuke reactor powering a single-use missile.

We only use nukes for subs or aircraft carriers with 30-year life expectancies; some other ships; or land-based power plants with similar life expectancies. We also use it for spacecraft, which is risky in case it fails during launch, but that failure would at least be in the deep ocean and not over a city. And we use it for bombs, of course. But even our nuclear ballistic missiles are not powered with nuclear reactors. We don’t make nuclear powered aircraft, for this reason.

by Anonymousreply 26August 16, 2019 6:40 AM

[quote] I think their titanium subs are all useless now

Looking it up they were taken out of service for scrapping in the 90s. It's unclear if Russia ever came up with the money to actually cut out and dispose of the nuclear reactors.

by Anonymousreply 27August 16, 2019 6:52 AM

R27, makes sense. The titanium material was quite valuable for recycling purposes.

When I was building subs, I played a roll in that business with the mythical $200 toilet seat, and so forth. It was actually more complicated than was depicted and simplified in the press. Anyone remember that?

by Anonymousreply 28August 16, 2019 6:59 AM

^Role, not roll.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 29August 16, 2019 7:17 AM

The video at R2 is of a Russian - non-nuclear- ammunitions depot that blew up last week.

by Anonymousreply 30August 16, 2019 7:19 AM

Almost unknown to most in the West there is another Russian nuclear sub carrying nuke weapons that was lost at sea and leaking radiation,. The only one of her class, they decided to not build any more like it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 16, 2019 7:46 AM

[quote]The video at [R2] is of a Russian - non-nuclear- ammunitions depot that blew up last week.

Oh really? Please explain to the class how that's a totally different explosion.

by Anonymousreply 32August 17, 2019 1:26 AM

[quote]Please this is tiny compared to Chernobyl. It's like saying a sneeze is a sequel to double pneumonia

Uh-huh.

The doctors who worked on the first casualties were fucking [bold]RADIOACTIVE[/bold].

The three injured men arrived at the hospital around 4:30 pm, naked and wrapped in translucent plastic bags. The state of the patients made staff suspect they were dealing with something very serious. But the only information they had at the time was that there had been an explosion at a nearby military site around noon.

“No one — neither hospital directors, nor Health Ministry officials, nor regional officials or the governor — notified staff that the patients were radioactive,” one of the clinic’s surgeons told The Moscow Times by phone this week. “The hospital workers had their suspicions, but nobody told them to protect themselves.”

The hospital was Arkhangelsk Regional Clinical Hospital, a public healthcare center in Russia’s far north, and the day was last Thursday, Aug. 8. After the explosion, radiation spiked to as much as 20 times its normal level for about 30 minutes in the region’s second largest city of Severodvinsk. Russia’s state nuclear agency Rosatom has reported that the accident killed five of its staff members.

Russian authorities are keeping the circumstances surrounding the explosion shrouded in mystery. With government agencies releasing information piecemeal amid a mass of contradictions, the state’s response to the accident echoes its behavior after Chernobyl, the catastrophic 1986 nuclear accident in then-Soviet Ukraine.

Official reaction has included initial denials that radiation spiked at all, and an announcement four days after the accident that the village of Nyonoksa, close to the military site, would be evacuated. Authorities later denied that they had ever ordered villagers to leave. The lack of information has led to confusion among locals, who reportedly scrambled to buy up all of the iodine, a chemical used to limit harm to radiation exposure, in the Arkhangelsk region.

They are not the only ones who have been left confused and demanding answers. Four male doctors at the Arkhangelsk hospital — two in senior positions — and a medical worker told The Moscow Times that its staff have been left shocked and angered by the events that took place. The doctors spoke on condition of anonymity, citing a period of heightened attention by Russian security services.

Doctors say colleagues who treated the three patients were persuaded to sign NDAs by the FSB.Marina Kruglyakova / TASS While none of the doctors worked directly with the patients in question, they all attended a briefing at the hospital on Aug. 12 by a deputy health minister for the Arkhangelsk region and are in constant communication with colleagues who did treat the victims, they said. The doctors said that all staff who worked with the patients directly were asked by Federal Security Service (FSB) agents on Aug. 9 to sign non-disclosure agreements that prevent them from talking about what happened.

“They weren’t forced to sign them, but when three FSB agents arrive with a list and ask for those on the list to sign, few will say no,” said one of the senior doctors.

The Moscow Times was unable to speak with any of the doctors who tended to the three patients or obtain a copy of the reported non-disclosure agreements.

But the versions of events that the five men recounted are identical. They also concur with two additional anonymous accounts published on Aug. 15 — one from a female doctor at the hospital in a local news outlet, Northern News, and one in a local chat group on the popular Telegram messenger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 17, 2019 1:29 AM

[quote]Doctors say colleagues who treated the three patients were persuaded to sign NDAs by the FSB.

"Make signing of dokumentations or your dog will die."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 17, 2019 3:11 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35August 17, 2019 11:19 PM

As I thought, the Russian government didn't give a rat's ass who was exposed to dangerous or lethal levels of radiation, and only evacuated or cared for the ordinary citizens when the news got out. It's too late for a lot of them, now.

by Anonymousreply 36August 17, 2019 11:50 PM

We totally blew that up.

by Anonymousreply 37August 17, 2019 11:54 PM

That's not the nuclear explosion in R2's post. It's the ammo dump that blew up in Achinsk.

We did that, too.

by Anonymousreply 38August 17, 2019 11:57 PM

An ammo dump won’t have a perfectly spherical shape R38

by Anonymousreply 39August 17, 2019 11:58 PM

Russia has a long, long history of this. In 1957, a nuclear waste site exploded and killed hundreds of people. The Soviets did not admit what had happened until the 1980s. US intelligence analysts, however, knew something was up at the time when the USSR published new maps--and dozens of villages had simply vanished.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 17, 2019 11:59 PM

Nuclear power is SO much easier to manage, when you don't mind if it kills a few people here and there.

by Anonymousreply 41August 18, 2019 12:02 AM

[quote] The video at [[R2]] is of a Russian - non-nuclear- ammunitions depot that blew up last week.

[quote] Oh really? Please explain to the class how that's a totally different explosion.

Here's the explanation, dipshit -- all you had to do was pay attention to the news during the last two weeks. These were even 2 separate Datalounge threads last week about the explosions in Russia and both differentiated between the ammo depot explosion and the nuclear explosion.

And, since you're ignorant, we'll bother to tell you that non-nuclear thermal explosions make little mushroom clouds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 18, 2019 12:06 AM

[quote] An ammo dump won’t have a perfectly spherical shape [R38]

Yes asshole. They do.

by Anonymousreply 43August 18, 2019 12:07 AM

R43 Go fuck yourself. I’ve been doing this particular shit for almost 50 years. Now, go back to fucking chickens and terrorizing subway stations with rice cookers you retarded hillbilly.

by Anonymousreply 44August 18, 2019 12:11 AM

An explosion produces hot gas that quickly rises. The air above actually blunts this hot gas as it tries to move upward, literally pushing it downward and forming the distinctive cap.

Rayleigh-Taylor instability describes the interaction between two materials (fluids or gasses) of different densities when they are forced together. In an explosion, the less dense hot air is meeting the more dense cold air and (not to be too technical) smooshing into a mushroom cap. That's why mushroom clouds aren't confined to nuclear explosions. They even appear after 1000- or 500-lb. bomb blasts.

by Anonymousreply 45August 18, 2019 12:15 AM

Ammo dump in Siberia explodes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 18, 2019 12:17 AM

This sounds as brilliant as the Polish submarine designed with a screen door.

by Anonymousreply 47August 18, 2019 12:20 AM

[quote] I’ve been doing this particular shit for almost 50 years.

What particular shit would that be? Making shit up, obviously.

Behold the ammo dump explosion in tbe above video at R46, which occurred 4 August 2019 in Achinsk (there wras another explosion at the same depot on August 10).

The nuclear explosion took place in Severodvinsk.

by Anonymousreply 48August 18, 2019 12:26 AM

I hate posters that post whole articles in a post. Summarize and link!

It does not make you sound smart.

by Anonymousreply 49August 18, 2019 12:31 AM

There have been too many fuck ups in Russia recently for me to keep track of what’s happening.

Rachel said tonight that at least 4 Russian radioactive monitoring sites were taken offline to keep them from reporting the damage, apparently.

I hope we’re reporting in Russia what’s happening, to the Russian people, in the Russian language.

by Anonymousreply 50August 20, 2019 2:21 AM

Probably not since we're the ones who go blew up the missile and the ammo depot. Putin can't keep fucking with the US, telling Trunp to pull out of treaties and develop limitless range missiles and expect US military intelligence to sit in their asses.

And no, they wouldn't notify Trump any more than Trump would allow a translator to monitor his talks with Putin. No doubt Trump is rattled by it because Putin can't be happy - but Putin can't accuse the US because it would be letting Russians (and the world) know we can blow shit up inside Russia.

by Anonymousreply 51August 20, 2019 2:31 AM

R51, it’s a nice thought, but I don’t believe it. They’re pretty incompetent.

by Anonymousreply 52August 20, 2019 2:32 AM

[quote]I hope we’re reporting in Russia what’s happening, to the Russian people, in the Russian language.

not likely

by Anonymousreply 53August 20, 2019 2:34 AM

My sister was in Hungary during the Iron Curtain days when Chernobyl melted down. She did not hear anything about it until she got back on the other side of the iron curtain. I am guessing there is a good chance the Russian people are in the dark.

by Anonymousreply 54August 20, 2019 3:18 AM

Can’t they get the internet there?

by Anonymousreply 55August 20, 2019 3:20 AM

There’s runet, which is heavily monitored (okay, censored). The Russian Communications Ministry conducts regular “tests” to ensure compliance with their security standards.

The official government policy is there is no censorship, but you know there’s so much demand that sometimes popular sites are just down for weeks at time.

by Anonymousreply 56August 20, 2019 3:30 AM

R35 OMG Russians are so stupid

by Anonymousreply 57August 24, 2019 10:49 PM

Wasn’t there a Russian nuclear submarine that blew up recently too?

by Anonymousreply 58August 24, 2019 11:20 PM

R58, it’s hard to keep track.

by Anonymousreply 59August 25, 2019 12:11 AM

Who is in the cast for season 2?

by Anonymousreply 60August 25, 2019 12:15 AM

They’ve signed Shelly Winters, R60.

by Anonymousreply 61August 25, 2019 12:24 AM

Of course r61! No one makes an escape like Shelly Winters! No one!

by Anonymousreply 62August 25, 2019 12:28 AM

R58 R59 Yeah, it was a narrowly averted nuclear catastrophe last month. Russia is keeping it very hush-hush:

[quote]Families of the 14 Russian servicemen who were killed after a fire broke out on a nuclear submarine have reportedly been told that their relatives averted a “planetary catastrophe” before they died. A high-ranking military official is said to have made the comment at a funeral for the crew in St Petersburgh days after the accident in the Barents Sea earlier this week. The incident remains shrouded in mystery after the Russian government refused to reveal the submarine’s name and its mission, claiming them as state secrets.

by Anonymousreply 63August 25, 2019 12:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!