Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I'm Being Driven Insane

My neighbors are animals. The girls get in the pool as soon as the sun comes up and throw/hit/bounce a large ball constantly. There's a boy who spends all day hitting a baseball with a bat. He also makes very loud yelling/grunting sounds. It's driving me crazy. There's something about the constant, repetitive sound of ball bouncing/smashing & baseball whacking that is causing me headaches. I was thinking of using that sound that only young kids can hear to drive them indoors, but it turns out I can hear it, too. What is it about these ball noises that makes my head feel like exploding?

by Anonymousreply 85August 20, 2019 8:49 PM

How can you hear it sitting with your TV and air conditioning on?

by Anonymousreply 1August 14, 2019 11:28 PM

This is why country life is better suburbia. At least you have land and don’t have to be close to assholes.

by Anonymousreply 2August 14, 2019 11:29 PM

[quote]I'm Being Driven Insane

Really? You’re being driven?

I’m close enough to walk.

by Anonymousreply 3August 14, 2019 11:29 PM

Why I don't live in suburbia.

by Anonymousreply 4August 14, 2019 11:29 PM

I can see OP cradling his mug as he types!

MARY! If the worst thing about your neighbors is they play some baseball in the yard you need to come down off the cross.

by Anonymousreply 5August 14, 2019 11:33 PM

R1 You’ve obviously never lived in a regular neighborhood, have you? Neighborhood kids can be loud as hell and you can hear some that are a few houses away. TV and air conditioning do nothing to block out the noise.

by Anonymousreply 6August 14, 2019 11:36 PM

Please pass the FFs, Muriel. I need one for r5.

by Anonymousreply 7August 14, 2019 11:40 PM

Poor people problems.

by Anonymousreply 8August 14, 2019 11:41 PM

We got idiots next door who love noise. Basketballs, gas powered leaf blowers, nail guns, saws and some kind of pile driver thing that shakes you to your bones. Thank goodness it's sporadic, only if the main idiot is off work. The neighbourhood used to be quiet.

by Anonymousreply 9August 14, 2019 11:51 PM

It mostly bothers you because you can't control it.

by Anonymousreply 10August 14, 2019 11:53 PM

I live in the country. The neighbors are here from Memorial Day to Labor Day. They have an acre, as do I. They chose to put a swimming pool and a patio right up against my side yard. They have a backyard that is 3/4 of an acre and they never set foot in it. They let it get overgrown with weeds, then hire someone to weed whack the property. Not mow it - weed whack it.

Why?

Because when they dug the pool they had the builders dump the dirt in their back yard. They never leveled out the dirt or put down grass seed. Since the ground isn't level, landscapers refuse to use their riding mower.

They live in Bensonhurst the rest of the year.

by Anonymousreply 11August 14, 2019 11:54 PM

[quote]You’ve obviously never lived in a regular neighborhood, have you?

You’re right. You caught me. My acres and acres of land at my Beverly Hills estate produces no intolerable noises, save for, of course, one of the help sneezing. Now I can sympathize.

by Anonymousreply 12August 14, 2019 11:54 PM

Play Norwegian death metal at top volume while wearing noise-cancelling headphones.

by Anonymousreply 13August 14, 2019 11:55 PM

I'm thinking of recording arrhythmic hand clapping and running it on a loop.

The boy makes very loud, aggressive yelling noises all the time . He's like an animal. He's not autistic because he interacts with the girls. He's just a turd.

by Anonymousreply 14August 14, 2019 11:58 PM

Oh and I got a freaking tick on me today for the first time in years. I was in part of my yard that is next to their weeds. They're fucking diseases these people.

by Anonymousreply 15August 15, 2019 12:01 AM

Toss a cyanide laced Red Bull to the kid.

by Anonymousreply 16August 15, 2019 12:05 AM

Maybe they will buy one of those basketball hoops, you haven't lived until you hear a basketball being dribbled constantly.

by Anonymousreply 17August 15, 2019 1:07 AM

School will start soon and your peace and quiet will return until around 3 PM.

by Anonymousreply 18August 15, 2019 1:08 AM

Bose noise cancelling headphones, fug OP.

by Anonymousreply 19August 15, 2019 1:18 AM

OP I understand your complaint, but you remind me of my father, who used to live alone on two acres. Then he moved into a high-rise condo with 200 other tenants, and now all he does is complain. These noises, those noises, these smells, those smells.

I'll tell you what I told him: you moved into a beehive and now you're complaining about the buzzing.

You have to do better, OP.

by Anonymousreply 20August 15, 2019 1:27 AM

OP, did you do your due diligence before moving there?

I just turned down a property because I saw six small bikes in what would have been my neighbor's yard.

by Anonymousreply 21August 15, 2019 1:33 AM

R21 I don’t blame you one bit. No way would I want to live next to that!

by Anonymousreply 22August 15, 2019 1:38 AM

[quote]You’re right. You caught me. My acres and acres of land at my Beverly Hills estate produces no intolerable noises, save for, of course, one of the help sneezing. Now I can sympathize.

You’ve obviously never been to Beverly Hills because if you had you would know that even many of the mansions don’t even have a full acre, let alone several.

by Anonymousreply 23August 15, 2019 1:40 AM

I've lived in this house for 26 years with good neighbors who were renters. But the owner sold the house 2 years ago to these ...people.

Yeah, I didn't do my due diligence when I bought an acre 26 years ago when there was no pool or patio or kids, R21.

And I shouldn't have moved into a beehive.

Who builds a $40k swimming pool and dumps the dirt around it, letting weeds grow? Then they put in a$20k patio 10 feet from my property ....not near their pool. When they get out of the pool, they step into a pile of dirt & weeds.

They're trash.

by Anonymousreply 24August 15, 2019 1:46 AM

It says something about where you are that folks from Bensonhurst are attracted to it.

by Anonymousreply 25August 15, 2019 1:51 AM

What THE FUCK are you implying, r25?

C'mere, buddy. No, closer, closer... I need a good aim at your about-to-be-former front teeth.

by Anonymousreply 26August 15, 2019 1:55 AM

OP? You should be grateful. I live on a dead-end street and when I bought it, my property bordered a beautiful prairie. But two years later, a hurricane blew through the center of the state (which never happens) and left a lake where the prairie once was. Now I have to contend with airboats barreling by my place at all hours of the day and night. Rumor has it the night-time boaters are poaching alligators, but I can't tell. All I know is that they stop every now and then and shine a light in the water.

Plus, every now and then a deplorable or three gets hammered and fires guns across the lake (I hope!) just for fun. Gunshot noise carries, so I can't pinpoint where it's coming from even if I cared to venture into that area. But I've hears everything from a .22 to a shotgun blast.

Oh! And I had a momma bear and her baby in one of my trees the other night; the neighbor came over with a spotlight because his dogs wouldn't stop barking, and he spotted her up there. And I just found out a few hours ago that some of my other idiot neighbors are putting out food for the bears - just what I need. It's illegal to shoot them, by the way.

Be grateful that the noises in your neighborhood are only annoying -- they're not going to kill you.

This is what I get for wanting to retire someplace rural where I'd have some "peace and quiet."

by Anonymousreply 27August 15, 2019 2:20 AM

You should check yourself into a psyche ward and stay in a solitary confinement, then have some psychiatrists prescribing you some schizo meds. Schizophrenia is you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 28August 15, 2019 2:33 AM

Some kids are actually playing outside, in the sunlight? I think that would make me smile.

by Anonymousreply 29August 15, 2019 3:28 AM

What is a ball?

Can I eat it?

by Anonymousreply 30August 15, 2019 3:47 AM

You need just three things to curtail that hellish all day pool party, OP: An extension cord, a toaster, and a good throwing arm.

by Anonymousreply 31August 15, 2019 3:50 AM

[quote]country life is better suburbia. At least you have land and don’t have to be close to assholes.

Not necessarily. In “the country” you have yokels shooting guns and racing around on ATVs.

by Anonymousreply 32August 15, 2019 3:55 AM

If you don’t already have one, form a neighborhood home owners association. Then you can become the tyrannical president of it who enforces ordinances on lawn care, etc.

by Anonymousreply 33August 15, 2019 4:47 AM

R32 Could you tell me more? How many acres of land did you have and how close were your neighbors? Were they riding their ATV’s on your land?

by Anonymousreply 34August 15, 2019 4:55 AM

OP - might I suggest that tomorrow night, you fling a big turd into their pool? That will keep the kids out for a few days. ... now, what to do with the boy and his bat? Hmm. Some options: A) Start having loud sex outside so the parents pull him in. B) Stick your Alexa outside and have her play bagpipe music. C) Maybe just have fake conversations on your phone outside where you're obnoxiously loud and drop the F-bomb enough that again, the parents pull little billy inside. D) consider swapping his baseball with a prank exploding variety. Little fucker needs to stop pretending he's special.

by Anonymousreply 35August 15, 2019 5:08 AM

There's a little boy across the alley who does the 'scream bloody murder' thang all the time: "AAAGGHHHH!!".

I hope he gets kidnapped.

by Anonymousreply 36August 15, 2019 5:12 AM

I've seen home where the owners installed swing sets closer to the neighbor's homes than their own. A friend has a home on about three acres. When the moved in there were no neighbors. Then someone bought the neighboring acreage and placed their home right on the property line closest to my friend's house. They planted a row of tall hedges to block them but the noises still travel.

Another friend lives in a country neighborhood and her next door neighbor has about an acre. He rides an ATV around the property very close to the property line.

People suck. Personally, I hate people, but right now all of my neighbors are behaving. We had a spate of loud, late drunken parties a while back but it stopped after the sheriff came out several times.

by Anonymousreply 37August 15, 2019 5:25 AM

How old are the kids? Perhaps you could turn them on to drugs?

by Anonymousreply 38August 15, 2019 5:30 AM

OP: If you have your cobbler replace the standard rubber heels on your shoes with much more durable steel, you’ll find the refreshed footwear to be most effective in dealing with worrisome children who splash about in the water. Additionally, many people find the clicking sound made by steel heels to be quite soothing. I know I do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 15, 2019 5:36 AM

Play classical music outdoors - it’s pleasant to have on in the background and kids hate it.

by Anonymousreply 40August 15, 2019 5:38 AM

Bless your heart, r23.

Really, bless it.

by Anonymousreply 41August 15, 2019 12:01 PM

[quote]grateful. I live on a dead-end street and when I bought it, my property bordered a beautiful prairie. But two years later, a hurricane blew through the center of the state (which never happens) and left a lake where the prairie once was. Rumor has it the night-time boaters are poaching alligators, but I can't tell.

Where the hell do you live that a hurricane makes a lake large enough for boats and its own ecosystem with alligators?!

by Anonymousreply 42August 15, 2019 12:03 PM

Florida, obviously R42

by Anonymousreply 43August 15, 2019 12:07 PM

A 7-11 my friend frequents did just that very thing to drive the bums away, R40.

And it WORKS.

I can tell when we’re chatting on the phone that he’s gone in there..

by Anonymousreply 44August 15, 2019 12:27 PM

Here in Canada country life has become just as bad as city life.

I think it's the older people who are becoming either senile or think that because they've been there for years that somehow makes them the rulers of the land.

Plus we have very strict gun laws so people know you can trespass and harass and not worry about getting shot.

I worked with a woman who inherited her aunt's house and land and the old guy next door did everything he could to harass her, no doubt hoping he could get the land cheap.

She put up a fence and he used his backhoe to knock it down.

Farmers have this massive sense of entitlement and use it against anyone they don't like.

by Anonymousreply 45August 15, 2019 1:56 PM

Ah, the bad neighbor troll, always a delight.

by Anonymousreply 46August 15, 2019 1:59 PM

by Anonymousreply 47August 15, 2019 1:59 PM

by Anonymousreply 48August 15, 2019 1:59 PM

Ah, the triple post troll, always a delight.

by Anonymousreply 49August 15, 2019 2:03 PM

Holy shit, a three-fer. DL has been doubling my posts sometimes but it's never repeated them three times before.

by Anonymousreply 50August 15, 2019 2:05 PM

You have my sympathy about the headaches. There’s something particularly grating about the sounds of happy children.

When threats and vicious taunting are no longer effective to bring a few hours of sweet peace, sometimes an adult has no choice but to escalate.

It’s a kind of self-defense, isn’t it?

by Anonymousreply 51August 15, 2019 2:14 PM

[quote]Plus we have very strict gun laws so people know you can trespass and harass and not worry about getting shot.

So you’re saying stricter gun laws make people sitting ducks because the criminals know they won’t be fired upon? Hmmmm. Interesting.

Let’s just hope those “trespassers and harassers” don’t bring guns with them.

by Anonymousreply 52August 15, 2019 3:01 PM

I concur about the music solution. Not just classical music but opera. Ride of the Valkyries shuts down nearly everything. Except ATV's. My heart goes out to you.

I'm the person who contemplated knifing a trampoline because of a neighbor girls high pitched shrieks. The other boys and girls voices where fine but this girl was awful. Just as I'm finishing my plans to stealthily gut that trampoline it was dismantled. Turns out another neighbor with more money went after them with lawyers.

by Anonymousreply 53August 15, 2019 3:01 PM

[quote]or should I have said "thrice?"

Who the hell says thrice?

by Anonymousreply 54August 15, 2019 3:01 PM

What needs to happen is, around 5-6 billion people need to just fucking vanish.

by Anonymousreply 55August 15, 2019 3:42 PM

WHEN DO THE TEARS STOP??!??!?!?!??!!?

by Anonymousreply 56August 15, 2019 3:47 PM

When I was a kid I loved playing basketball in the driveway! The houses on my street were pretty close together too. I never once thought I was bothering our elderly neighbor. I probably was. She never complained. Now I feel bad. Sorry Mrs. O’Lynn!

by Anonymousreply 57August 15, 2019 4:02 PM

The awful Threadgills and their horrible crotch fruit, who all think they are sports GODS, think nothing of chucking balls around on their driveway late at night, 'cause, ya know . . . training. I so hope they all drive over a cliff very soon. Buh-Byeeeeeeeeeeee, BONNIE!!!!

by Anonymousreply 58August 15, 2019 4:02 PM

Why would you move to the suburbs when they are full of families with noisy kids? That's why gays tend to live in more urban neighborhoods.

by Anonymousreply 59August 15, 2019 4:07 PM

R55= Thanos.

by Anonymousreply 60August 15, 2019 4:08 PM

Hopefully they will be back to school soon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61August 15, 2019 4:29 PM

Is the ballplayer hot looking?

by Anonymousreply 62August 15, 2019 4:36 PM

It’s really best when children sit on sofas and play video games all day. And if their mouths are full of chips and candy, they don’t shout as much.

by Anonymousreply 63August 15, 2019 4:44 PM

Fuck the classical music - get one of those "silent to adults but deafening to children" sound machines and crank it up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64August 15, 2019 4:51 PM

When I was a child children swarmed all over the neighborhood, shrieking, playing, and threatening each other. A quiet gay couple lived next door, they never complained, either.

by Anonymousreply 65August 15, 2019 4:51 PM

R34 I had 19 acres. The family of yokels’ house was maybe an acre from mine. They liked to shoot guns for fun and the teenage kid raced his ATV around their land which bordered mine.

There really is no escape from noisy assholes.

by Anonymousreply 66August 15, 2019 6:37 PM

R66 too bad you can’t live in an area with acreage that prohibits those types of noisy activities.

by Anonymousreply 67August 15, 2019 7:39 PM

And don’t mention the lawn-mowers, leaf-blowers and snow-blowers.

by Anonymousreply 68August 15, 2019 8:01 PM

Used to live behind the school baseball and soccer fields. When they closed the school I could not believe how much I missed those laughing, screaming voices of the little savages at play.

Get some earplugs, OP, or at least ask them politely not to bang the balls so early in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 69August 15, 2019 8:08 PM

[quote]There's something about the constant, repetitive sound of ball bouncing/smashing & baseball whacking that is causing me headaches.

"There goes your social life, Amber!"

by Anonymousreply 70August 15, 2019 8:21 PM

I happen to LIKE banging balls early in the morning R69!

by Anonymousreply 71August 15, 2019 8:40 PM

Dammit, r71, you beat me, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 72August 15, 2019 9:05 PM

R66 Wow I had no idea that country life could be as loud as a regular neighborhood! Here I was thinking of buying a house on the country but I’m not going to mow acre of land just to hear different noises.

by Anonymousreply 73August 15, 2019 10:15 PM

I turned on MTV and blasted it.

MTV has the loudest, most obnoxious commercials on TV. And bonus - an incoherent Pirates of the Caribbean movie was being shown. Cranked it up. Those kids were still in the pool after dark. They started yelling to drown out the sound.

I cranked it up higher.

They yelled louder.

I went up to 48.

They made so much noise their parents made them go in the house.

by Anonymousreply 74August 16, 2019 2:35 AM

I found a wiffle ball under one of my hydrangeas. I'm thinking of picking some of the poison oak in my backyard and rubbing it all over the ball

by Anonymousreply 75August 16, 2019 6:38 AM

Whilst wearing rubber gloves, hopefully...

by Anonymousreply 76August 16, 2019 12:03 PM

I rather have one of those fuck houses like in those fraternity x videos or sketchysex videos as neighbors than loud kids.

by Anonymousreply 77August 19, 2019 4:13 AM

Yeah, screeching shouting kids are the worst. Why do they fucking squeal like that when they’re outside running around? Damn, keep them inside in front of a computer screen where they belong and away from me, please.

by Anonymousreply 78August 19, 2019 4:18 AM

OP - have you seen the 20 yo blond Iowan twink on chaturbate who plays strip basketball? He's gorgeous, charming and a good shot.

by Anonymousreply 79August 19, 2019 4:23 AM

I tried blasting Wagner, and then the Proud Boys showed up.

by Anonymousreply 80August 19, 2019 4:50 AM

Interesting companion thread to the recent one about how things used to be so much better years ago.

Kids used to play outside all the time during the alleged good old days that DLers miss so much.

by Anonymousreply 81August 19, 2019 5:58 AM

R81 I kept thinking of that reading this thread too. How much those marauding mobs of outdoor kids in the 50s and 60s must have annoyed some of the older neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 82August 19, 2019 10:21 PM

My mother never let us scream. She said anyone who screamed had to go home or, if it was me or my sister, come inside the house for the rest of the day. She was a nervous person and would yell "Who's screaming bloody murder out there? STOP IT unless you're being murdered.... or I'll go out there and murder you myself with my bare hands."

She meant it, too. But you never heard screaming on my block.

by Anonymousreply 83August 19, 2019 11:01 PM

Again I ask: why TF do they all have to fucking scream when running around outside?

by Anonymousreply 84August 19, 2019 11:04 PM

They aren't even running around. They're in a swimming pool, or batting a ball repeatedly for an hour.

Here's mom "If they're screaming their heads off in the swimming pool that means they haven't drowned so I don't have to go outside to watch them. I'll just stay here in the house knowing from their constant bloodcurdling screams that they're ok."

by Anonymousreply 85August 20, 2019 8:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!