Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Favorite Urban Legend

Mine is Pia Zadora starring in a stage production of The Diary of Anne Frank as the title character, a production bankrolled by her rich husband Meshulam Riklis. According to legend, the production was so bad that during the climactic moment when the Nazis raid the Frank house, an audience member so exasperated by the terrible production and Zadora's even worse performance, shouted "She's in the attic!"

I laugh whenever I think of this story. And now I picture that audience member as a DL eldergay who takes his theatre seriously.

What's your favorite urban legend/myth?

by Anonymousreply 259October 23, 2019 5:01 AM

Bea Arthur being a former truck-driving US Marine.

by Anonymousreply 1August 12, 2019 12:45 AM

The Carol Channing corn story of course!

by Anonymousreply 2August 12, 2019 12:58 AM

Shit going down in front of Jasmine Guy's house.

by Anonymousreply 3August 12, 2019 1:01 AM

The people busting in on a female co-worker to throw her a surprise party and she put peanut butter on her vag as her dog licks it off. Whenever someone tells me they were there when it happened, I know they're lying.

by Anonymousreply 4August 12, 2019 1:02 AM

The “Black Eyed Kids” story as told by Brian Bethel in 1996. You’ll never feel safe in a parking lot at night ever again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 12, 2019 1:03 AM

Farrah Fawcett taking a shit on the front lawn at an industry party at the head of New Line's house. This, however, maybe be truth and not legend.

OP, I am thrilled to say I saw Pia Zadora doing "Funny Girl" in Long Beach and it too was a groaner. Starting with her walk across the stage up front, this midget drowning in an evening gown and then a chirpy little "Hello, Gorgeous." My friend, a Streisand fan, did not find any of it amusing, so bad it was just... bad. Can you imagine anyone less Brice than Pia Zadora? Whose idea was this.

by Anonymousreply 6August 12, 2019 1:08 AM

Three gay-related urban legends: 1) The Jim Nabors/ Rock Hudson wedding. Totally created out of thin air, but became gospel in some circles.

2) J. Edgar Hoover dressing in women's clothes. There's plenty of evidence to suspect that Hoover and Clyde Tolson were lovers, but not a shred of evidence that Hoover dressed as a woman.

3) Local newsman Jerry Pennacoli had a gerbil removed from his anus. Before he became a TV magazine personality, Jerry was a Philadelphia news anchor, and this rumor was EVERYWHERE.

by Anonymousreply 7August 12, 2019 1:09 AM

Gwen Stefani/Elton John/Insert Performer's Name had to have their stomach pumped and it was full of semen.

The Purple Teletubby is gay.

Britney Spears/Christina Aguilera/Etc. got breast implants.

Barney got arrested.

by Anonymousreply 8August 12, 2019 1:14 AM

The one about the two girls who were at the same house when some mental patient escaped and one of them went to lock all the doors and windows downstairs while the other stayed upstairs with the door locked. A few minutes later, the one upstairs hears weird thumping sounds coming from the hallway, but she's too scared to open the door. The next day, the police are at the house and they ask her to come downstairs, but not look behind her. She does look back and sees her friend's dead body - arms and legs removed and she realizes the sound she'd heard was her friend trying to pull herself up to warn her by her chin.

Always freaked me out as a youngster.

by Anonymousreply 9August 12, 2019 1:24 AM

Richard Gere

gerbil

by Anonymousreply 10August 12, 2019 1:25 AM

r7 I dunno about a gerbil but Jerry Pennacoli has a huge dick.

by Anonymousreply 11August 12, 2019 1:50 AM

The spiders in the beehive hairdo and hook hand always scared me when I was young.

by Anonymousreply 12August 12, 2019 2:16 AM

Corn?! When did I eat corn??

by Anonymousreply 13August 12, 2019 2:27 AM

Rod Stewart swallowed so much cum they had to pump his stomach.

by Anonymousreply 14August 12, 2019 2:36 AM

Mikey died by drinking a coke while eating pop rocks.

by Anonymousreply 15August 12, 2019 2:38 AM

[quote] Always freaked me out as a youngster.

I can see why. it sounds so believable!

by Anonymousreply 16August 12, 2019 2:40 AM

R11, he carts about a log. We’ve discussed his clowncar of an anus.

by Anonymousreply 17August 12, 2019 2:44 AM

As a closeted gay teenager in the 80s, the Jerry Pennacoli story was everywhere. In retrospect, clearly homophobic. Like everything else about the 80s. I saw him on the street when I was 19 and got a heavy cruise vibe. Glad he had a good career - and got out of Philly, like I did,

by Anonymousreply 18August 12, 2019 2:46 AM

I live in Dayton, Ohio and a local urban legend is about the Ohio Players, a local band that went national with the hit "Love Rollercoaster." The urban legend is that you can hear the scream of a girl being murdered in the song. It's not true, of course.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 12, 2019 3:10 AM

Dealer with a kid (90s Boystown rumor)

You’re at a party and the coke dealer arrives and he sets a sleeping child down while he does business. The dealer mentions the kid is for rent. Having no takers, he picks the kid up. Then he mentions the kid od’d earlier and is dead anyway.

The story sounded like a David Mamet play, but I’ve heard it from more than three people.

by Anonymousreply 20August 12, 2019 3:39 AM

All the celebrities who supposedly were invited to Sharon Tate's home the night she was murdered but luckily declined the invitation. The list is ridiculous, every famous person living in LA at the time supposedly had been invited up to Cielo Drive that night!

by Anonymousreply 21August 12, 2019 3:41 AM

Richard Gere's anal gerbil is the King of Urban Legends

by Anonymousreply 22August 12, 2019 3:43 AM

The Jack Palance/Marisa Tomei Oscar legend is my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 23August 12, 2019 3:47 AM

Ginger Rogers died in a car accident in the 1930s and was replaced by a look alike.

by Anonymousreply 24August 12, 2019 3:48 AM

The Russians were able to hack the voting tallies for the 2016 election, (starting with Florida). Hillary legitimately won the Electoral College. It wasn't even close. Trump is an illegitimate POTUS.

Oh, wait a minute, that really happened. Does it count?

by Anonymousreply 25August 12, 2019 3:50 AM

Late 1960s/early 1970s, suburban parents hire a teenage girl to babysit while they go out for the night. As soon as the parents leave, the young girl drops some acid and then blacks out for most of the night, coming to shortly before the parents arrive back home. The mother asks how the evening went and the girl, trying to recollect through her drug-fuelled, replies everything was fine and she even put the turkey into the oven to cook. Confused because she hadn't left out any food, walks into the kitchen and notices the oven on, almost burning. Opening the oven, the mother screams in horror as she she sees her baby inside. Motto: Drugs Are BAD!!!!

by Anonymousreply 26August 12, 2019 3:51 AM

In the days before cell phones and GPS, a young couple is on a road trip. Late at night and nearly in the middle of nowhere, they run low on gas. So they pull over to a gas station, the first one they’ve seen in miles and probably the last one for many more, to buy gas. The gas station is lit up, but there’s not a soul in sight. This includes inside the station itself. The male pulls in and instructs the female to stay inside the car with the doors locked. He leaves her the keys and goes into the station. After a few minutes, the female sees a man she assumes is the gas station attendant come out from the back. She watches her boyfriend and this man talk for a moment, then watches her boyfriend follow the man to the back of the station out of sight. She waits for a while, but she’s tired and falls asleep. Later, after some unknown amount of time, she wakes up. The station is now dark and looks deserted. However, she hears a scratching noise coming from above. The sound seems to be from something scratching the car roof. In fear, she stays in the car. Eventually, the scratching ceases and she again falls asleep. The next morning, she is jolted awake by a highway patrolman banging on the passenger window. He commands her to get out of the car, but to only look down and in front. She obeys the first order and gets out, but she looks up and behind her only to see her boyfriend hanging by his feet with a rope from a light pole with a bloody throat and abdomen. The scratching she had heard the night before was her boyfriend scratching the roof of the car while he bled out from knife wounds to his throat and gut.

by Anonymousreply 27August 12, 2019 3:59 AM

[quote]she realizes the sound she'd heard was her friend trying to pull herself up to warn her by her chin. Always freaked me out as a youngster.

My God, you were a stupid child.

by Anonymousreply 28August 12, 2019 4:26 AM

Kirker and the Enormous Party Poo Incident.

by Anonymousreply 29August 12, 2019 5:35 AM

Raul Esparza hatefucking Jeremy Piven during rehearsals of SPEED-THE-PLOW while Elisabeth Moss looked on and cried.

by Anonymousreply 30August 12, 2019 6:05 AM

The Moscow pee tapes

by Anonymousreply 31August 12, 2019 6:05 AM

Mae West was a man. A rumour perpetrated by a disgruntled Raquel Welch after working with West in Myra Breckinridge

by Anonymousreply 32August 12, 2019 8:24 AM

Something about shoes and Las Vegas restroom

by Anonymousreply 33August 12, 2019 8:27 AM

Shawn Mendes and Camila CaraCaballo

by Anonymousreply 34August 12, 2019 8:30 AM

Shawn Mendes and Camila CaraCaballo

by Anonymousreply 35August 12, 2019 8:30 AM

Marilyn Manson had his two lowest ribs removed so he could suck his own dick.

by Anonymousreply 36August 12, 2019 8:38 AM

R19 It may not be true but I still tell the story every chance I get.

by Anonymousreply 37August 12, 2019 1:41 PM

[quote]Gwen Stefani/Elton John/Insert Performer's Name had to have their stomach pumped and it was full of semen.

Never heard this about Gwen Stefani, or any woman. It was always about a guy. The first time I heard it was about Rod Stewart!

by Anonymousreply 38August 12, 2019 1:46 PM

Why in the world would Raul risk getting mercury poisoning, r30???

by Anonymousreply 39August 12, 2019 1:56 PM

Apparently the 'urban' area we're talking about is Hollywood?

by Anonymousreply 40August 12, 2019 2:04 PM

r40, your alternative is to read these boring stories about someone hearing someone else with no limbs dragging themselves up a staircase by their chin.

by Anonymousreply 41August 12, 2019 3:19 PM

R38, it was always about Rod Stewart for me as well, at least the me 35 years ago living in the Midwest.

It would be fascinating to use maps and timelines to chart how these stories morph and travel across space and time.

by Anonymousreply 42August 12, 2019 3:44 PM

Jamie Lee Curtis is a hermaphrodite.

Paul McCartney died in the '60s and the McCartney since then is a body double.

by Anonymousreply 43August 12, 2019 3:59 PM

Some dude waking up in a Vegas hotel room with his kidney removed.

by Anonymousreply 44August 12, 2019 4:06 PM

The Russian Sleep Experiment. 💀

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 12, 2019 4:16 PM

Nancy Davis was a fantastic cocksucker.

by Anonymousreply 46August 12, 2019 4:56 PM

Many, many years ago a woman named Jeannie told me a story. I didn't like Jeannie, her eyes were set close together and she had a long nose...she looked like a possum or a shrew. Her sister-in-law worked the evening shift a a nursing home. She finished work at 1 am, got in her car and realised she didn't have much gas. It was dead of winter. She lived far from her job, out in the countryside and if she ran out of gas it would be a long time in those pre cellphone days before someone missed her. She drove to a gas station that was nearby and pulled up to a pump. The gas station attendant came out of the service station office and pumped the gas. She handed him cash to pay and he said, "Ma'am, I'm afraid your going to have to come inside the office."

Don't be ridiculous, the woman said. It's freezing outside. I never have to into the office to pay for gas." The man insisted. "Ma'am, I can't let you go, you have to come into the office."

Finally he said "This here bill is counterfeit. It's a real problem." He reached inside the open car window and took her keys from the ignition.

Jeannie's sister in law finally got out of the car and went into the office. The gas station attendant immediately locked the door, grabbed the phone and called the police, telling them there was a robbery at the station. When he put down the phone receiver he said to her, "There was a man crouched down on the floor in the back seat in your car. He had a knife."

I said, "Thas a bullshit story. That's one of those urban legend things."

I'd recently bought a book, The Vanishing Hitchhiker, which was a collection of stories the author decided to call "urban legends."

Jeannie got very mad at me. She insisted that her sister in law was not someone to tell her lies. She was really, really angry. I was one of the youngest staff members at our place of work and was widely disliked because....well, because I was young and they weren't. I said, "If your sister in law actually told you that story she's full of shit. If she didn't, you're full of shit."

I left that job as soon as I could.

by Anonymousreply 47August 12, 2019 5:06 PM

[quote] I said, "Thas a bullshit story. That's one of those urban legend things."

How tactful of you. It's hard to believe she disliked you after that.

by Anonymousreply 48August 12, 2019 5:08 PM

[quote]"There was a man crouched down on the floor in the back seat in your car. He had a knife."

Was she driving a sedan?

There's not a lot of room on the floor back there.

by Anonymousreply 49August 12, 2019 5:13 PM

I worked in a hospital where the nurses aides actually posted the Lights Out legend on the locker room bulletin board. It was on an official-looking piece of paper purportedly from the local police precinct. Someone had written on it "Ladies Please Read. Very Important! Couple of people been killed already!"

Lights Out was a legend that gangs had a new initiation ceremony. A bunch of them would pile into a car and drive out to the country late at night . They'd turn the car's brights lights on. When they passed a car that flashed it's brights on and off , they turned around, ran the car off the road and killed anyone inside.

It ended in ALL CAPS.

"DO NOT FLASH YOUR LITES!"

by Anonymousreply 50August 12, 2019 5:19 PM

r27, that UL has so many variations. But it's been a rather persistent UL for at least 60 years. Just different locales like lover's lanes, forest roads, etc.

by Anonymousreply 51August 12, 2019 5:20 PM

Jeannie always disliked me. That's why she told me that story. So she could go back and tell others that's she'd tricked me.

by Anonymousreply 52August 12, 2019 5:20 PM

This supposedly occurred at the Lyric Opera of Chicago and involved Eva Turner during a performance of Tosca. Tosca was supposed to leap to her death from the walls of Castel Sant’Angelo. Usually, the actress lands on a mattress. But the stage workers replaced the mattress with a trampoline: the result was that Tosca bounced up two or three times from behind the wall.

by Anonymousreply 53August 12, 2019 5:31 PM

One thing like that I DID see was a production of "Tosca" in the 90s at the Met where Montserrat Caballe was too fat to jump off the battlements, so they just had her walk off in the back (as if she were going to jump off the battlements somewhere offstage). If you didn't know the plot of the opera, it would have looked like she lived at the end--she just walked off triumphantly, singing "Before God, Scarpia!".

by Anonymousreply 54August 12, 2019 5:35 PM

[quote] that UL has so many variations

Yeah, I heard the variant when a couple was "making out" on Lover's Lane when news came on the radio that a dangerous lunatic had escaped from the local mental hospital and to be on the lookout. It started thundering and raining outside. The couple decided to leave, but it turned out the car had run out of gas. The boyfriend said "I saw a gas station about two miles back. I'll go there and get a can of gas. You stay here with the doors locked. Whatever you do, don't unlock the doors or get out, no matter what."

She heard soft bumping atop the car that grew louder and more insistent. It must be a branch from a tree that fell down because of the storm. She put her fingers in her ears and closed her eyes. She eventually fell asleep. She woke up to a cop who'd thrown open the car door. "Get out! Close your eyes. Don't look!"

But she peeked. The lunatic was sitting atop the car, where he'd been bumping her boyfriends severed head on the roof.

by Anonymousreply 55August 12, 2019 5:39 PM

Joyce Bulifant apparently crapped in every handbag in the greater Beverly Hills era in the '70s and had to go to a treatment center in Rancho Mirage for her condition...

by Anonymousreply 56August 12, 2019 5:41 PM

The one about Christina being a perfect little flower who's mother was an absolute monster. That one's rich.

by Anonymousreply 57August 12, 2019 5:46 PM

The elevator story. It's always a famous black man -- I've heard it with Eddie Murphy, Mike Tyson and Michael Jordan.

An elderly white woman walks into an elevator and sees famous black man and his security crew of large black men. The woman says, "Oh Mr Murphy, I love you so much. Will you give me your autograph?" A hulking member of the celebrity's security crew yells, "SIT DOWN, lady!" The woman drops to the floor and sits. The celebrity looks startled, then he and his crew laugh. The security guard had been talking to his German Shepherd, named Lady.

by Anonymousreply 58August 12, 2019 5:52 PM

[quote] But the stage workers replaced the mattress with a trampoline: the result was that Tosca bounced up two or three times from behind the wall.

I hope they had supertitles during that performance so the audience could sing along by following the Bouncing Diva.

by Anonymousreply 59August 12, 2019 5:53 PM

The elevator story usually took place in Atlantic City, Vegas or Tahoe.

by Anonymousreply 60August 12, 2019 5:54 PM

In my day, the stomach pumping tale was about Jordan Knight from NKOTB. It would be his brother Jon who would turn out to be gay, though.

by Anonymousreply 61August 12, 2019 5:55 PM

I have heard this one at nearly every university I've visited:

The library is sinking because the architect didn't account for the weight of the books.

by Anonymousreply 62August 12, 2019 6:07 PM

I've always heard "the local university hospital forgot to put in a morgue when it was built and for a year and they had to store bodies in the cafeteria until they built one."

by Anonymousreply 63August 12, 2019 6:11 PM

I always heard the Tosca story as happening at the New York City Opera around 1960. But I've checked their performance history and they didn't do Tosca in any of the years referenced, or three years on either side. The additional part of the story was that the stage crew did it because they hated the soprano because she was vicious and nasty to everybody. This was their way of getting back at her.

by Anonymousreply 64August 12, 2019 6:20 PM

Another university one: Frank Lloyd was invited to lecture on campus, and asked if he could lecture in what is considered the ugliest old lecture building on campus. Everyone was surprised he would choose it, and then during the actual lecture he explained it's the only place on campus he could speak where he does not have to actually [italic]look[/italic] at the building.

I have heard that about Memorial Hall at Harvard and Richardson Hall at Princeton and also about other ugly buildings on all kinds of other campuses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65August 12, 2019 6:23 PM

A married couple is going out to an important dinner with his boss. The wife asks the husband to zip up the back of her dress. He does,but since he's nervous, he accidentally zipped a large piece of her skin as he did it. The woman screamed. "Oh please," said the husband. "Don't be such a baby."

The next day the woman decides to go shopping. She has trouble with her car, so she tells her husband and takes his car instead. When she returns home, she sees a tool bag in the driveway and her husband's legs protruding from under her car. As she walks past him, she decides to get revenge. She bends down, unzips his fly, pulls out his dick and zips his fly back up, making sure to catch a bit of his dick in the zipper. He screams. "Oh please!" says the wife. "Don't be such a baby."

She walks into the house, puts down her shopping bag and sees her husband in the kitchen. "I called the dealership and they sent a mechanic out to look at your car," he says....

by Anonymousreply 66August 12, 2019 6:26 PM

Wouldn't she recognise the penis wasn't her husband's?

by Anonymousreply 67August 12, 2019 6:47 PM

That guy from the Tap Dance Kid died after drinking Coke while eating Pop Rocks

by Anonymousreply 68August 12, 2019 6:47 PM

What about the one about the hung munchkin on the Wizard of Oz set!

by Anonymousreply 69August 12, 2019 7:20 PM

Marilyn Monroe weaves baskets in Canada.

by Anonymousreply 70August 12, 2019 7:26 PM

The ghost boy in 3 Men and a Baby.

by Anonymousreply 71August 12, 2019 7:28 PM

What about the ghost who appears in Three Men and a Baby?

by Anonymousreply 72August 12, 2019 7:28 PM

DL icon Vivian Vance was required to stay 20 lbs overweight during I Love Lucy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73August 12, 2019 7:31 PM

Pope Benedict XVI died after drinking Coke while eating Pop Rocks.

by Anonymousreply 74August 12, 2019 7:35 PM

Datalounge has moderators.

by Anonymousreply 75August 12, 2019 7:37 PM

[quote]Bea Arthur being a former truck-driving US Marine.

That one is actually true.

by Anonymousreply 76August 12, 2019 8:13 PM

R58, I swear I read that story in an old Reader’s Digest about O.J. Simpson

by Anonymousreply 77August 12, 2019 8:50 PM

Lassie was an alcoholic.

by Anonymousreply 78August 12, 2019 8:52 PM

Mama Cass Elliot and the ham sandwich. It reality, it was a heart attack, there just happened to be a sandwich on the nightstand.

by Anonymousreply 79August 12, 2019 8:58 PM

In MY day it was Rod Stewart who got his stomach pumped with the sperm. And it was Mikey who died from pop rocks and soda.

by Anonymousreply 80August 12, 2019 9:06 PM

It was Pope Benedict XVI!!!!

by Anonymousreply 81August 12, 2019 9:23 PM

I heard that stomach pumping story but it was supposed to be about Marc Almond.

by Anonymousreply 82August 12, 2019 9:42 PM

i think str8 guys made it up cause their 1970 girls were all crazy about rod?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83August 12, 2019 9:51 PM

I've heard R58's story a million times about a million black male celebrities (the first one was Richard Pryor), but there was never a body guard, just the celebrity and his dog. The celebrity is the one who tells Lady to "Sit!" Why would a body guard be handling a dog?

by Anonymousreply 84August 12, 2019 9:55 PM

The black guy in the elevator story I heard was. A white lady getting onboard one in a nice hotel and one of the entourage says "hit the floor lady" and she drops to her stomach weeping while begging them not to kill her. When she checks out of the hotel the clerk informs her that it was Lionel Ritchie in the elevator and he's paid her bill. Feel good racism for the boomers!

by Anonymousreply 85August 12, 2019 9:55 PM

When the Supremes were singing on a TV show, Diana Ross would stretch out her arms to cover the faces of Mary and Flo whenever the camera showed them so they wouldn't be seen on TV.

Another Diana Ross urban legend is when she made her assistant crawl across the floor to change a tape in the tape recorder in a meeting. Miss Ross should have her own urban legend thread.

by Anonymousreply 86August 12, 2019 10:01 PM

the scary one i remember told at summer camp was the prissy girl at college that was an uptight bitch and the boys from the medical program take a preserved human hand out of formaldehyde jar and put it in her bed to prank her, so they did so and after she went into her room they didn't here anything after awhile they burst in and she was sitting on her bed eating the hand. she snapped.

the nasty one i heard was in the late 80's a gay man had met a guy and had a one night stand at a hotel when he awoke the next morning the guy was gone and written on the bathroom mirror in blood was: "welcome to the wonderful world of aids".

by Anonymousreply 87August 12, 2019 10:05 PM

Humphrey Bogart was the Gerber baby.

by Anonymousreply 88August 12, 2019 11:04 PM

Pizza delivery driver calls family to check on how the pizza was and informs them he had ejaculated on the pizza and he has the AIDS!

by Anonymousreply 89August 12, 2019 11:24 PM

My version of the TOSCA story happened at the Boston Opera. Legend has it that a famous soprano was brought in to play the role but was challenged because she had a prosthetic leg and couldn’t do the death leap. So, they rehearsed it with Tosca climbing the parapet and passing behind a column, where a stagehand wearing a similar cloak and hood would emerge and do the leap for her.

At dress rehearsal things did not go well. When the stagehand did the leap, the cape flew up into the air revealing the stagehand wearing blue jeans. The director instructed the costume crew to recreate Tosca’s full costume to fit the stagehand, so that the leap would look authentic.

On opening night, everything went well, and when the stagehand did the leap, just as before, the cape flew up into the air. Unfortunately, so did Tosca’s dress, revealing the stagehand in his BVDs.

by Anonymousreply 90August 12, 2019 11:39 PM

Walt Disney is frozen.

by Anonymousreply 91August 12, 2019 11:47 PM

[quote] Why would a body guard be handling a dog?

Because the white ladsy wouldn't be afraid of the black celebrity but she would be afraid of a lot of big black guys in a small space.

This is a true story and it taught me what "institutional racism" is. I started work at a new hospital in the 1990s. A really tall black guy in a blue sweat suit came out of the elevator . When I walked out of the elevator on my floor, a tall black man in blue sweats got on the elevator.

I thought "This hospital has a really tall janitorial crew."

In my previous hospital janitors wore blue sweats and were black. It turned out the head of orthopedic surgery was the official doctor for the New York Knicks and they often got physiotherapy in a special room in the hospital's new sports rehab unit.

by Anonymousreply 92August 13, 2019 12:16 AM

Which NYC gay bar was this? Man wearing cocking in backroom gets severely cut by sharp teeth during a blow job. Men are emerging from back room to discover in horror the are covered in blood splatters. Surely HIV+ blood!

by Anonymousreply 93August 13, 2019 12:37 AM

(R93 It was a 90s Urban Legend.)

by Anonymousreply 94August 13, 2019 12:38 AM

The old lady who put her teacup Yorkie in the microwave to dry after giving it a bath.

It exploded.

by Anonymousreply 95August 13, 2019 12:40 AM

Mick, Marianne, and the Mars bar episode.

by Anonymousreply 96August 13, 2019 12:50 AM

Danny Thomas and the glass coffee table.

by Anonymousreply 97August 13, 2019 12:51 AM

The friend of a friend of a friend who went to Mexico and found this adorable chihuahua on the beach only to find out, when they brought it home, that it was a rat.

by Anonymousreply 98August 13, 2019 1:10 AM

Harvard University invited the famous Dutch architect Rem Koolhaas to the campus to advise them on how to integrate the new campus they're now building in Allston with the long-existing campus on the other side of the Charles River in Cambridge. Both campuses are large and there's a real concern the new Allston campus, a former railroad yard, will be seen by the faculty and students as Siberia so finding ways to merge the two is imperative. The gig was a lecture at the Design School, lunch, and a site tour, all in one day, with the architect's report to follow. His fee was $100,000.

He came, he spoke, he had lunch, and he toured the campuses on either side of the Charles.

When he submitted his report, along with an invoice for his fee, the report consisted of three words: "Move the river."

Harvard paid.

by Anonymousreply 99August 13, 2019 1:34 AM

[quote]The friend of a friend of a friend who went to Mexico and found this adorable chihuahua on the beach only to find out, when they brought it home, that it was a rat.

Are they sure it wasn't Frankie Grande?

by Anonymousreply 100August 13, 2019 1:44 AM

Sandy Duncan's glass eye.

by Anonymousreply 101August 13, 2019 1:44 AM

Jerry "The Beaver" Mathers was killed in Vietnam.

by Anonymousreply 102August 13, 2019 1:45 AM

Hnuh uh! That was Eddie Haskell, R102!`

by Anonymousreply 103August 13, 2019 1:51 AM

Mariah Carey when she visited Africa: "Whenever I watch TV and see those poor, starving kids all over the world, I can't help but cry. I mean, I'd love to be skinny like that, but not with all those flies and death and stuff."

by Anonymousreply 104August 13, 2019 3:10 AM

"More fudge, Daddy! More fudge!"

by Anonymousreply 105August 13, 2019 3:18 AM

I took the "Rod Stewart Swallowed So Much Cum He Had To Have His Stomach Pumped!" story as a challenge.

by Anonymousreply 106August 13, 2019 3:21 AM

R106 I’ll bet your stomach looked like an overpopulated sea monkey aquarium.

by Anonymousreply 107August 13, 2019 3:26 AM

R95 It was a poodle.

by Anonymousreply 108August 13, 2019 3:33 AM

The Tourist guy....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109August 13, 2019 3:36 AM

[quote]That guy from the Tap Dance Kid died after drinking Coke while eating Pop Rocks

That was Mikey. The Tap Dance Kid (Alfonso Ribeiro) broke his neck break-dancing. BTW, my mom totally believed this. Imagine her surprise when she saw Alfonso alive and well performing on the Tony Awards.

Young Michael Jackson's first love(r) was actor Clifton Davis (this may not be a myth; Davis wrote the Jackson Five's hit, "Never Can Say Goodbye")

by Anonymousreply 110August 13, 2019 3:40 AM

Mr. Green Jeans from "Captain Kangaroo" was Ted Nugent's father;

Paul from "The Wonder Years" = Marilyn Manson.

by Anonymousreply 111August 13, 2019 3:43 AM

The "Welcome to the world of AIDS" one actually happened to a guy I know. We had been out the night before and he went home with this very handsome older guy. My friend wanted to go to the bathhouse, but the older guy insisted they go to the local no tell motel. He called frantic the next day crying. He woke up and the dude had left a note saying my friend should get tested because he was positive and he should be more careful who he hooks up with. The note had a smiley face as the signature. We never saw the handsome older guy again.

Luckily my friend was and still is negative.

by Anonymousreply 112August 13, 2019 3:43 AM

R108 It was a myth.

by Anonymousreply 113August 13, 2019 3:51 AM

Kathrine Hepburn in the audience of a play loudly criticizing the performance of an actor "Ooohh myyy gawd, he's awwwfulll".

Maybe she was referring to the entire production.

Who was there and can verify this?

by Anonymousreply 114August 13, 2019 3:52 AM

R113 Ya think? Point was, when I heard it, it was a poodle. And the old lady saw the dog explode, guts dripping on the inside of the microwave door, and she had a heart attack and died.

by Anonymousreply 115August 13, 2019 3:54 AM

R111 Mr. Green Jean's was Alice Cooper's father.

by Anonymousreply 116August 13, 2019 3:56 AM

[quote]The "Welcome to the world of AIDS" one actually happened to a guy I know.

I was told a different version of the story posted above by a Japanese exchange student, except in her version, her "male friend" had slept with a girl who wrote "welcome to AIDS world" on the mirror with lipstick.

by Anonymousreply 117August 13, 2019 4:03 AM

The brand-new Porsche for sale for $50. "My husband just ran off with his secretary and told me to sell his car for whatever I could get for it."

More an apocryphal story than an urban legend but I've always loved this. John Wayne played a centurion in the film, "The Greatest Story Ever Told." He has to say the line, "Truly, this was the Son of God." The director told him to say it with more awe, so his next reading was, "Aw, truly, this was the Son of God."

by Anonymousreply 118August 13, 2019 4:05 AM

[quote]Hnuh uh! That was Eddie Haskell, [R102]!` '

No ... the Eddie Haskell (Ken Osmond) urban legend was that he grew up to be porn star John C. Holmes.

by Anonymousreply 119August 13, 2019 4:08 AM

The best friend on Wonder Years was Marilyn Manson

by Anonymousreply 120August 13, 2019 4:14 AM

The kid who played Eddie Haskell was killed in Viet Nam

The kid who played Eddie Haskell became the porn actor John Holmes

Barbra Streisand in a rage pushed Lillian Gish through a picture window causing her severe injuries

Jame Lee Curtis was born either a hermaphrodite or a male with Kleinfelter's syndrome

Clark Gable killed someone while driving drunk in the late 30s and M-G-M hushed it up

by Anonymousreply 121August 13, 2019 4:27 AM

Bob Hope was Rose Nylund's biological father.

by Anonymousreply 122August 13, 2019 4:28 AM

Wesley on Mr. Belvedere grew up to be Marilyn Manson.

by Anonymousreply 123August 13, 2019 4:37 AM

That Madonna is a musical icon

That SJP is an “earthy beauty”

That Nicki Minaj’s ass implants are really an old pair of Anna Nicole’s old breasts

That Andy Cohen is a masculine, rough top

That Anderson Cooper’s hole has held the deposits of more Mexican refugees than coffee cans buried at the border.

That Kelly Ripa mouth hasn’t made more contact with the inside of more toilet bowls than a toilet brush at Betty Ford

by Anonymousreply 124August 13, 2019 4:47 AM

R21 A ton of men also claim that they slept with Tate shortly before the murders - even though she was visibly pregnant at the time!

by Anonymousreply 125August 13, 2019 5:08 AM

R125, you do know pregnant women can still have sex, right?

by Anonymousreply 126August 13, 2019 7:00 AM

R115 Since the story was fictional, it doesn't matter what breed the dog was. As long as was small enough to fit into a microwave.

by Anonymousreply 127August 13, 2019 8:35 AM

[quote]her "male friend" had slept with a girl who wrote "welcome to AIDS world" on the mirror with lipstick.

Which one? Euro AIDS World or AIDS World Tokyo?

by Anonymousreply 128August 13, 2019 12:19 PM

My favorite is the legend of datalounge being invaded by many a Russian troll named Boris.

by Anonymousreply 129August 13, 2019 12:24 PM

THis is what REALLY happened to Bootsie Gumdrops.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130August 13, 2019 12:36 PM

[quote]The brand-new Porsche for sale for $50. "My husband just ran off with his secretary and told me to sell his car for whatever I could get for it."

R118, when I was in my teens our next door neighbors were a young married couple. The husband loved cars and was always tinkering with one or another, tuning it up or fixing the brakes.

His 40th birthday present to himself was a Fiat Spider or something like it. To make the story short he cheated on his wife with her sister and she divorced him and got the house and she got the Fiat.

Then she left it in the driveway with the top down and let it rot to the ground, which took years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131August 13, 2019 12:44 PM

Alanis Morissette went down on Dave Coulier in a theater.

by Anonymousreply 132August 13, 2019 1:35 PM

R62, that's not an urban legend. It was happening at UCONN when I was in grad school in the early '90s. They had to wrap the building in plastic because bricks kept falling off the outside, and the work they were doing on it was so loud you could barely stand to sit in the library to read or do anything else.

Imagine an undergrad trying to get away from the cacophony in the dorm going to the library to study in peace and quiet! Yeah -- good luck with that.

I don't know if it ever did get fixed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133August 13, 2019 1:55 PM

Jackie Collins told the Welcome to the World of AIDS story on the tonight shoe with a straight scenario.

by Anonymousreply 134August 13, 2019 2:09 PM

My favorite urban myth has two elements, 1. That Glenn Close was signed on to star as Susan Boyle in the film version of her life and 2. Meryl Streep started and spread this myth...

by Anonymousreply 135August 13, 2019 3:33 PM

Wasn't there some story about Shania Twain crawling through broken glass for some reason?

by Anonymousreply 136August 13, 2019 3:39 PM

Alligators in the NYC sewers.

by Anonymousreply 137August 13, 2019 3:45 PM

and why not, R137? We know they're in Chicago's parks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138August 13, 2019 3:48 PM

R129 -- How dares you call me a troll when I am patriot American just as good as you or no one else. I am a good homosexualist like the rest of you and love our president Donald Trump like the rest of you and we are all good patriots here who love America so how dares you call me a troll?

(Also, what is a troll, please?)

by Anonymousreply 139August 13, 2019 3:53 PM

I've noticed the shrieking "Boris!" accusations have slowed down since the Mueller report.

by Anonymousreply 140August 13, 2019 3:55 PM

How is it that Boris is always cited as a Russian troll, but Natasha is never mentioned? Did Moose and Squirrel get her?

by Anonymousreply 141August 13, 2019 4:20 PM

Two wonderful Tallulah Bankhead stories, both happening in "Smoky Mary's" ( Church of St. Mary the Virgin) near Times Square.

One Christmas Eve in the 1950s Fr. Taber was sequestered in his confessional when he heard Miss Tallulah Bankhead. As he peeked out through his curtain, there he saw her making her way through the church. She paused and looked up at the giant crucifix on the rood screen in the transept of the church, with its almost life-sized figure of the crucified Jesus. Suddenly she exclaimed, in her wonderfully Tallulah Bankhead way,

“Smile, Dahling! It’s your birthday!”

The other wonderful Tallulah story was that when she saw the Cardinal, decked out in all his finest lace and silk raiment walk down the aisle preceded by acolytes and followed by priests, The Cardinal is swinging a burning censor with its smokey arc back and forth in front of him and as he comes up next to Miss Bankhead, she honks in her best stage whisper, “darling, I love your dress, but your purse is on fire.”

by Anonymousreply 142August 13, 2019 4:35 PM

Farrah Fawcett went on a talk show and told everyone that she's a lesbian. Kate Jackson said she had a sex change operation.

by Anonymousreply 143August 13, 2019 4:41 PM

Avril Lavinge died a years ago and has been replaced by a look-alike backup singer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144August 13, 2019 5:20 PM

As a kid in the 70s I used to hear that Jim Nabors and Rock Hudson had gotten married once. This was years before AIDS outed Hudson or Nabors came out or samesex marriage even existed.

Guess they weren't as closeted as they thought.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145August 13, 2019 5:57 PM

R140, Russian election meddling certainly hasn't slowed down any.

by Anonymousreply 146August 13, 2019 6:00 PM

Two more re: Tallulah, R142

Tallulah was in Washington for a Democratic Party dinner honoring her "divine friend, Adlai Stevenson"... And during a long speech by some senator she had to go to the john, but found when she was settled in for the duration that there was no toilet paper at hand. "So I looked down and saw a pair of feet in the next stall. I knocked very politely and said: 'Excuse me, dahling, I don't have any toilet paper. Do you?' And this very proper Yankee voice said: 'No, I don't.' Well, dahling, I had to get back to the podium for Adlai's speech, so I asked her, very politely you understand, 'Excuse me dahling, but do you have any Kleenex?' And this now quite chilly voice said: 'No, I don't.'

So I said: 'Well then, dahling, do you happen to have two fives for a ten?'"

Then there was the drinking...

TB walks into a bar. "Bartender, could I have one absolute dry vodka martini, olives on the side." She drinks it, and orders another one.

"Bartender, could I have one absolute dry vodka martini, olives on the side." She drinks it. She's a bit drunk, but orders again.

"Bartender, could I have one absolute dry vodka martini, olives on the side." She passes out drunk on the floor.

The bar closes. The janitor comes in, sees her on the floor, and fucks her.

The Next Day.

She walks into the bar. "Bartender, could I have one absolute dry vodka martini, olives on the side." She drinks it, and orders another one.

"Bartender, could I have one absolute dry vodka martini, olives on the side." She drinks it, is a bit drunk, but orders another.

"Bartender, could I have one absolute dry vodka martini, olives on the side." She passes out drunk on the floor.

The bar closes. The janitor comes in, sees her on the floor, and fucks her.

The Next Day.

She walks into the bar. "Bartender, could I Have..."

The bartender says, "I know, I know, one absolute dry vodka martini, olives on the side."

She pipes back up and says, "Oh no, dear, I don't drink them anymore. They make my cunt hurt."

by Anonymousreply 147August 13, 2019 6:00 PM

R126 Literally dozens of men claim that they had sex with her just before she died. She's have to have been doing 3-4 guys a day for them to all be telling the truth! It's possible, but I doubt it's true.

by Anonymousreply 148August 13, 2019 6:05 PM

These old Tallulah stories are jokes about a famous person--they're not really urban legends. I don't think anyone ever believed they really happened.

by Anonymousreply 149August 13, 2019 6:22 PM

Back in the '80s my cousin told me that Liz Claiborne had gone on the Oprah show and admitted she was a devil worshipper...similarly, there was the rumour that Olivia Newton John admitted to digging the Lady Ham on the Tonight Show back in the day...

by Anonymousreply 150August 13, 2019 6:24 PM

LOL. Love these stories.

by Anonymousreply 151August 13, 2019 6:28 PM

Francis Bavier was once a madame.

by Anonymousreply 152August 13, 2019 9:02 PM

Marilyn Manson became a lawyer.

by Anonymousreply 153August 13, 2019 9:04 PM

Sorry,I meant Frances R152.

by Anonymousreply 154August 13, 2019 9:07 PM

Marilyn Monroe's corpse was fucked by several men.

by Anonymousreply 155August 13, 2019 9:18 PM

R19, that legend wasn't confined to Ohio. It was all over the country. I was a teenager in California and we talked about it. Poor lady.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156August 13, 2019 9:18 PM

Texas woman replaces Florida man in this story. But it works.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157August 13, 2019 9:49 PM

Procter and Gamble is owned by devil worshipers.

by Anonymousreply 158August 13, 2019 10:32 PM

Procter and Gamble is owned by devil worshipers.

by Anonymousreply 159August 13, 2019 10:32 PM

JFK was shot by the mob and Russkies not by white southern racists.

by Anonymousreply 160August 13, 2019 10:52 PM

Sightings of Jim Morrison working at a fast food joint in Redondo Beach, circa early 80's.

by Anonymousreply 161August 13, 2019 10:56 PM

Do people remember backward masking and how these women were convinced there were satanic messages in records if played backward

by Anonymousreply 162August 14, 2019 2:25 AM

Debbie Harry is Marilyn Monroe's secret daughter.

by Anonymousreply 163August 14, 2019 2:55 AM

Joan Allen was a cocaine dealer.

by Anonymousreply 164August 14, 2019 3:01 AM

Bruce Willis fucked me like a sock puppet in the back of a limo in the late 80s.

by Anonymousreply 165August 14, 2019 3:13 AM

The Tallulah Bankhead troll is just using public domain jokes and inserting Tallulah‘s name.

What’s its damage?

by Anonymousreply 166August 14, 2019 4:01 AM

R7, I don’t know whether this story from Tim Gunn can be considered evidence regarding Hoover’s cross dressing or not but it’s certainly tailor made for the DL.. I also don’t see why he’d lie about something like this.

[quote] I was a big I Love Lucy fan. I still am. And we would, my sister and I would visit dad at the FBI headquarters about once a year and we would have the whole tour. On this one particular day, for the tour, Dad said to us, 'You're going to get the biggest kick out of this. Guess who's in Mr. Hoover's office?' 'Who!' 'Ethel Mertz. Vivian Vance!' 'No! Really?' He says yes — would you like to meet her? And I of course, I would love to meet her. But I was also terrified. So, my sister and I were escorted in, and we met Miss Vance, who was lovely. And I never forgot it. However in the late '80s, when these stories were coming out about Hoover and the cross-dressing, it was actually, apropos of our season, at the Thanksgiving dinner table because the family had assembled and my mother was talking about, oh, this terrible press, and these atrocious stories and how could this be. And I turned to my sister and I said, 'Do you remember the time we visited Mr. Hoover in his office and met Vivian Vance?' And she said yes. And I said, 'You know, it strikes me now as really weird that Mr. Hoover wasn't in the office!' And those of you who know what Hoover looked like — picture J. Edgar Hoover. Picture Ethel Mertz. Picture them side by side.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167August 14, 2019 5:05 AM

Eileen Davidson (Y&R, Real Housewives) and Donna Summer were both born with penises.

by Anonymousreply 168August 14, 2019 5:05 AM

R168 That's absolutely absurd!

by Anonymousreply 169August 14, 2019 5:27 AM

One of my old favorites is that after the Olympic was damaged in a collision she was made over as her sister ship, Titanic, and scuttled in mid-ocean in order to claim the insurance money. The actual Titanic, made over as the Olympic, had a long and profitable career. There are books about it and videos on YouTube (all debunked, of course -but since when does that stop a good urban legend?).

by Anonymousreply 170August 14, 2019 5:43 AM

R170, that's a good one. I'm curious - do the peddlers of this legend contend that the White Star Line murdered 1,500 people, or do they claim that John Jacob Astor, Isidore Straus and his wife, Benjamin Guggenheim and 1,500 others were kidnapped and lived out their lives on a desert isle, while Archibald Gracie, Molly Brown and the other survivors were bribed or blackmailed into silence?

by Anonymousreply 171August 14, 2019 6:31 AM

Natasha is retired to Sochi.

by Anonymousreply 172August 14, 2019 3:31 PM

^Is not urban myth. Is answer for r141.

by Anonymousreply 173August 14, 2019 3:37 PM

R172 Is that the Russian equivalent to retiring to Miami Beach?

by Anonymousreply 174August 14, 2019 3:41 PM

Black Sea climate that permits a few cold hardy palms and skiing not far from the water. Such as Montreux, Switzerland.

by Anonymousreply 175August 14, 2019 4:02 PM

Da.

by Anonymousreply 176August 14, 2019 4:09 PM

Sandy Duncan was appearing in the Broadway revival of Peter Pan. As she sang "I'm Flying" and flew out over the audience, her glass eye popped out. The tech crew had to swing her out over the audience again and lower her enough to pluck it from the shocked audience member's lap.

Obviously, Duncan doesn't have a glass eye, but I laughed until tears ran down my face the first time I heard this story because it was so funny/absurd.

by Anonymousreply 177August 14, 2019 4:22 PM

The choking Doberman

A woman comes home from work, opens her front door and sees her dog gasping for air. She grabs the dog, puts it in her car and rushes to the animal hospital. The emergency vet tells her that he's going to have to perform a tracheotomy and then the dog will sleep for a while, so she might as well go home.

As the woman walks in the door the phone is ringing. She picks it up and it is the veterinarian. Get out of the house! the vet tells her, run to a neighbor and call the police! He had extracted 3 human fingers from the dog's throat.

The police go into the house and find a bleeding, unconscious man hiding in the closet next to the front door. He is missing three fingers from his right hand and a butcher knife is found underneath. It turns out he is a serial rapist/murderer they've been looking for.

Another version of this says that the fingers were black, letting the listener know the unconscious killer is African American. The author of the original urban legends books tried to delve into the racist aspects of some urban legends, but he was criticized by many people for doing it.

by Anonymousreply 178August 14, 2019 6:08 PM

Smart phones have really cut down on the murder-related urban legends. So many of them involve being away from a phone, not having a way to contact others.

by Anonymousreply 179August 14, 2019 6:10 PM

Favorite urban legend? Chris Cuomo has a big dick!

by Anonymousreply 180August 14, 2019 6:11 PM

Colin Donnell is a member of the Broadway BDC.

by Anonymousreply 181August 14, 2019 6:12 PM

Mr. Green Jeans is Lumpy Rutherford's father. Tony Dow fucked Barbara Billingsley.

by Anonymousreply 182August 14, 2019 7:25 PM

Alex Jones is Bill Hicks

by Anonymousreply 183August 14, 2019 10:03 PM

I always believed that Sandy Duncan had a glass eye and I was all set to contradict the "urban legend" label. But I just did a Wikipedia search, and indeed, even though she lost total vision in one eye, it was never removed, since it still looks natural. No glass eye for Sandy Duncan!

by Anonymousreply 184August 14, 2019 10:11 PM

I remember some Internet rumor about Anne Hathaway having a glass eye.

by Anonymousreply 185August 14, 2019 10:26 PM

[quote] The Cardinal is swinging a burning censor

That must have been painful for the censor.

by Anonymousreply 186August 15, 2019 8:26 PM

Stevie Nicks kicking some girl in the cunt bone.

by Anonymousreply 187August 16, 2019 2:18 AM

Here's a good, local one.

George W. Bush was involved in a gay, extramarital affair with former Knoxville, TN mayor and future Ambassador to Poland, Victor Ashe during the 1984 Republican Convention.

Later, while Ashe was mayor, he wanted to change the name of Knoxville's Gay Street to Gay Way.

by Anonymousreply 188August 16, 2019 3:00 AM

Tallulah loved to smoke in bed while reading. She usually wore one of several baby blue sweaters, all with burn holes from where she flicked the ash of her cigarettes. At the head of the bed was a pillow for her lap dog Delores, named after the actress. Hook returned to the townhouse and went upstairs to check on Bankhead before heading off to sleep.

Entering her bedroom, he went over to the bed to make sure she was okay and noticed that Delores' pillow was smoldering from a wayward live ash. Becoming alarmed, Ted shook the actress while loudly announcing "Miss B, Miss B, wake up. Delores is on fire." It took several attempts to rouse the passed out actress and almost screaming in her ear "DELORES IS ON FIRE!" Bankhead didn't even crack her eyes open and shouted back "Well for Christ's sake, PUT HER OUT!" and promptly fell back asleep.

Hook told me this tale during a three-hour visit with him and a mutual friend in Spring of 1990.

by Anonymousreply 189August 16, 2019 3:59 AM

Two summer camp oldies the counselors love to retell:

The Claw: a couple goes smoochin' on Lover's Lane in their car and hear a scratching sound. The guy floors it and when they get back to town they find a prosthetic claw/hand attached to the door handle!

Similar: Four teens go camping in Yellowstone. Despite being warned of bears, one of them goes walking at night, and the next morning, all they found was her ear!

Also, the urban legend of small pet alligators being flushed down NYC toilets after vacations that then become giant sewer-dwelling monsters.

by Anonymousreply 190August 16, 2019 4:50 AM

R188, that one meshes too well with the late night visits from thickdick journalists.

by Anonymousreply 191August 16, 2019 6:11 AM

THe Lovers Lane legends usually involve an escapee from an asylum or an escapee from a prison. In either case, the escapee is a murderer known for gruesome crimes.

by Anonymousreply 192August 16, 2019 6:13 AM

The advent of the internet brought a new kind of urban legend -- the celebrity letter. In every case, the celebrity is one who holds liberal views, but writes a letter expressing conservative views. I've seen letters attributed to George Carlin, Robin Williams (when they were alive) and John Cleese. Cleese has recently spoken out against too much PC in comedy, but the letter attributed to him predates his recent remarks and is much more heavy handed.

I used to get these "PASS THIS ON TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW" mass emails in the early internet days. I guess they go to Facebook now.

by Anonymousreply 193August 16, 2019 6:22 AM

Creepypasta is another site where urban legends reside these days. Slender Man, e.g.

by Anonymousreply 194August 16, 2019 6:24 AM

The beast of Bray Road is a great one. Physical evidence crossed with new age bullshit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195August 16, 2019 7:22 AM

R186, if it was Joseph Breen, he had it coming.

by Anonymousreply 196August 16, 2019 7:47 AM

That. Keanu Reeves slashed one of David Geffens famous paintings when David brought home a hustler to fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 197August 16, 2019 7:48 AM

I think that was kind of Geffen, especially if Geffen was having issues getting it up.

by Anonymousreply 198August 16, 2019 3:46 PM

Tom Cruise started out as a hustler, and that's how he broke into show business.

by Anonymousreply 199August 16, 2019 4:05 PM

[quote] Another version of this says that the fingers were black, letting the listener know the unconscious killer is African American.

I love that you had to include that second clause.

by Anonymousreply 200August 16, 2019 4:21 PM

I still believe Sandy Duncan has a glass eye. Fuck Wikipedia.

by Anonymousreply 201August 16, 2019 4:53 PM

[quote] I love that you had to include that second clause.

It's in the book, which is titled......wait for it...... "The Choking Doberman."

Wikipedia:

The number of fingers dredged from the dog’s throat varies, as does their color. Though in many tellings the race of the intruder goes unspecified, at times the discovered digits are described as “black” or “Mexican,” adding a racist spin to the tale.[9]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202August 16, 2019 5:26 PM

^^^ I’m surprised this hasn’t been updated to be a pitbull. Are Dobermans at all common these days, I thought they had many potential medical issues?

by Anonymousreply 203August 16, 2019 5:31 PM

R116 Mr. Peppermint is Gibby Haynes (The Butthole Surfers) father.

by Anonymousreply 204August 16, 2019 7:07 PM

[quote]I still believe Sandy Duncan has a glass eye. Fuck Wikipedia.

Well, she didn't give me a second look when we were doing Encores No, No Nanette together.

by Anonymousreply 205August 16, 2019 7:23 PM

Mark Morrison.

by Anonymousreply 206August 16, 2019 7:26 PM

Let’s not forget the old spider nest in the beehive hairdo UL. The victim is usually of various ethnicities and the nest also varies with different vermin.

by Anonymousreply 207August 16, 2019 11:07 PM

Mama Cass choking on a ham sandwich...

by Anonymousreply 208August 16, 2019 11:19 PM

After a wildfire in southern California, a body is discovered in the charred hills. The body was wearing full scuba gear, melted.

Why is a man wearing scuba gear in the California hills? It was miles and miles away from any body of water.

Because he, the scuba diver, was accidentally swept up into the water bucket of a firefighting airplane, which then released the water bucket, and the diver, straight in to the fire.

by Anonymousreply 209August 17, 2019 12:03 AM

R209 I remember my brother's girlfriend telling that story in the late 90s and then later on I found out it was an urban legend.

by Anonymousreply 210August 18, 2019 7:02 PM

R189, D[bold]o[/bold]lores, plural for dolor (pain, sorrow).

by Anonymousreply 211August 18, 2019 8:09 PM

Which "actress Delores"?

by Anonymousreply 212August 18, 2019 8:11 PM

Dolores Del Lago, the Toast of Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 213August 18, 2019 8:17 PM

R212, Delores Grey

by Anonymousreply 214August 18, 2019 8:19 PM

A woman bought a winter coat at a discount department store. Upon arriving home, she noticesd the pocket of her coat was moving. Puzzled, she ripped open the pocket lining and discovered her coat is filled with baby snakes!!

by Anonymousreply 215August 18, 2019 8:49 PM

R212 Delores Mulva

by Anonymousreply 216August 18, 2019 8:52 PM

I had a friend who gleefully shared the story about a munchkin hanging himself in the background of The Wizard of Oz. He got really pissed off, deeply personally affronted, when I insisted it was a myth.

by Anonymousreply 217August 18, 2019 9:02 PM

r214 DOLORES, not Delores.

by Anonymousreply 218August 18, 2019 11:19 PM

Suck my cock, darling Sylvia.

by Anonymousreply 219August 19, 2019 5:09 AM

Yma Sumac = Amy Camus

by Anonymousreply 220August 19, 2019 12:37 PM

There is the gay urban legend about the kid who goes to the bookstore for the first time and discovers the glory hole. A dick comes through and he starts blowing his first cock and when the guy comes he doesn't know what to do so he swallows. He gets up to leave and as he is walking out sees his dad and realizes he just blew his father.

by Anonymousreply 221August 19, 2019 1:04 PM

Does anyone else remember that TLC show that Natasha Henstridge hosted about urban legends?

by Anonymousreply 222August 19, 2019 3:20 PM

A child was snatched at a local department store. The frantic mother immediately alerted store security, and the store was placed on lockdown.

The child was discovered in one of the restrooms where the villain had 1) dressed the child in clothing of the opposite sex, and 2) dyed the child’s hair. A quick haircut was required if the victim had longish hair .

by Anonymousreply 223August 19, 2019 3:57 PM

R206: what's the story on Mark Morrison?

by Anonymousreply 224August 19, 2019 4:20 PM

Stevie Nicks getting cocaine blown up her ass by an assistant because her nose was so fucked up.

Tom Cruise's son Connor's biological father was a black male hustler Tom was involved with.

by Anonymousreply 225August 19, 2019 4:26 PM

That Latino families will often name their daughter "Female" (pronounced "Fuh-molly") because when they saw the birth certificate, they thought the hospital had already named her.

Family member, who was a teacher, said they had some in class. When pressed, they said they had HEARD that it was true from other teachers.

by Anonymousreply 226August 19, 2019 4:32 PM

Razor blades in Halloween candy. We all heard this growing up, yet there has never been a single case.

by Anonymousreply 227August 19, 2019 4:53 PM

Actually, R226, my ex-husband was a physician who did his training at Ut-southwestern. He said this was a relatively frequent occurrence in the OB ward, and it wasn't limited to Latino families.

by Anonymousreply 228August 19, 2019 4:56 PM

R228, there ya go. I'll bet if you asked him, he would have said he had never encountered it "personally."

People know what "Female" means and who thinks a hospital had the right to name their child? The legend plays on people's stereotypes of Latino families being uneducated.

by Anonymousreply 229August 19, 2019 4:58 PM

No, R229, he did encounter it personally. Along with a number of other unusual names. Southwestern was a county hospital, i.e. a number of poorer patients. As a med student and resident, he delivered a number of babies. And med students would visit new mothers to ask about baby names. So you are wrong.

by Anonymousreply 230August 20, 2019 5:33 PM

In the 80's:

McDonald's, Burger King, KFC and Wendy's all made millions selling the discarded grease from their grease traps to Maybelline, because that was the secret ingredient in their super-clingy, thick mascara.

by Anonymousreply 231August 20, 2019 11:30 PM

R231 I love that.

by Anonymousreply 232August 20, 2019 11:32 PM

R142 also got this wrong. Smokey Mary's in NYC's theater district is an Episcopal church. There were no cardinals swinging "censors" there. Btw it was Ethel Merman's parish.

by Anonymousreply 233August 20, 2019 11:44 PM

I forget. Which one was cancelled? Kate Smith or Ethel Merman?

by Anonymousreply 234August 20, 2019 11:45 PM

Oh honey, they're both cancelled, in the existential sense.

by Anonymousreply 235August 20, 2019 11:56 PM

The secret ingredient in Bubble Yum was spiders' eggs!

by Anonymousreply 236August 21, 2019 12:15 AM

When I heard the Rod Stewart stomach pump story, I both understood it and did not understand it, really. I was around 12. It wasn't until I was a mature man and saw Treasure Island Media videos that I understood in a gut sense what true cum dump could be. Not only the ones where everyone was pumping live loads into one dump. But then they made the ones where they stored up containers of cum and flooded some poor guys gaped ass with it. That is HOW MUCH SPLOOGE is involved in the Rod Stewart urban legend. Bizarre that kids were snickering about this.

by Anonymousreply 237August 21, 2019 12:48 AM

Corona beer is made with urine.

by Anonymousreply 238August 21, 2019 5:31 PM

R238 well it does taste like it.

by Anonymousreply 239August 21, 2019 5:47 PM

Bride in the box

by Anonymousreply 240August 21, 2019 5:57 PM

Cynthia McFadden being the daughter of Hepburn and Tracy. She was adopted, in Connecticut. Was named executor of Hepburn's will. Named her son Spencer. At her wedding Cynthia smeared cake on Hepburn's face and I can no longer find the photo showing this. She denies that Hepburn was her mother. I don't believe her.

by Anonymousreply 241August 21, 2019 6:04 PM

FFS Cynthia McFadden is not Tracy and Hepburn's daughter. Katharine Hepburn was working on some film at the time McFadden was born, and it was very obvious that Hepburn wasn't pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 242August 21, 2019 8:46 PM

Isn't there an urban legend about an operatic diva who was so hated by cast and crew, that when she commited suicide at the end of the opera, by throwing herself off a tower, a stage hand placed a trampoline for her to land on and she kept bouncing up and down in front of the audience?

by Anonymousreply 243August 21, 2019 8:53 PM

Someone hides under a car and when the driver comes to get in they slit his ankles with a switchblade.

by Anonymousreply 244August 21, 2019 9:06 PM

R244 I remember that one from the 90s and used to get scared to walk up to my car when I started driving

by Anonymousreply 245August 21, 2019 10:54 PM

Students in Australian high school changing rooms playing Soggy SAO (an Australian cracker). Group of guys jerk off and cum on a SAO biscuit and the last one to cum has to eat the biscuit. YUM!

by Anonymousreply 246August 26, 2019 11:42 PM

No fair teasing us with hot dream sequences, R246.

by Anonymousreply 247August 26, 2019 11:48 PM

50's singing star Tommy Steele did a stage version of 'Singing in The Rain ' in the 1980's. He would dance the climactic title song in the rain while water poured down onto the stage from giant overhead tanks and the rest of the cast and backstage crew watched (as he thought it) admiringly from the wings.

What he didn’t know was that he was so disliked that many of them routinely pissed (urinated) in the water tank before every show and watched to see the resultant mix of water and piss pour down on Tommy’s head.

That's probably true though because he was reputedly a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 248August 26, 2019 11:58 PM

[quote]That's probably true though because he was reputedly a cunt.

Except “Singin’ in the Rain” wasn’t a stage musical until 1983.

by Anonymousreply 249August 27, 2019 12:28 AM

My apologies, r248, I misread you.

by Anonymousreply 250August 27, 2019 12:28 AM

Sounds like an electrocution waiting to happen.

by Anonymousreply 251August 27, 2019 12:39 AM

R248 Did they do that to Goop in Glee when she sang the umbrella song?

by Anonymousreply 252August 27, 2019 12:47 AM

The pissing story concerns whomever is hated at the time. I remember the story being told about Kathleen Turner in Romancing the Stone where she was in a bath and Faye Dunaway in The Champ where she submerges her head in a bucket.

by Anonymousreply 253August 27, 2019 12:55 AM

If only Mama Cass had shared that sandwich with me...

by Anonymousreply 254October 12, 2019 3:04 PM

Ed McMahon's laugh was pre-recorded.

by Anonymousreply 255October 12, 2019 3:10 PM

My favorite legend is that snopes.com is a truthful and reliable source of information.

by Anonymousreply 256October 12, 2019 3:25 PM

It's a rite of passage for young men in Colorado to go up to the mountains and piss into the stream that flows down and eventually becomes the water supply for the Coors brewery.

by Anonymousreply 257October 12, 2019 3:34 PM

That MaMa Cass Elliot choked on a ham sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 258October 23, 2019 4:03 AM

Beth Ditto was the unsung hero of this season!

by Anonymousreply 259October 23, 2019 5:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!