Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Summer is over in a month.

And I can't wait!

This has truly been a miserably hot Summer, and I am more than ready for cooler weather.

Let's just hope it happens.

by Anonymousreply 77April 29, 2020 6:03 AM

I get depressed in the summer so I can't wait for it to be over.

by Anonymousreply 1August 11, 2019 10:35 PM

My air conditioners say "Whew!" 😓.

And my heat pump has been pumping its little guts out.

by Anonymousreply 2August 11, 2019 10:38 PM

It's already over. The migratory birds have left and the only birds calling are first year blue jays. Pretty soon the cardinals will start making their winter peeps. The fledglings are all fledged. The hummingbird feeder activity has slowed down from its late July pre-migratory male frenzy. Flower stalks are looking stalky. Goldfinches have staked out the coneflower garden. Instead of spring peepers and tree frogs calling, now crickets in the daytime, the shadows are longer.

by Anonymousreply 3August 11, 2019 10:56 PM

Summer ends, winter draws on

by Anonymousreply 4August 11, 2019 10:59 PM

I've started seeing Halloween stuff in the stores already.

by Anonymousreply 5August 11, 2019 11:01 PM

I was coming back from the store. My gorgeous neighbor had been outside all day, wearing a muscle shirt, working on his vintage Corvette. I could see he wanted to chat with me, so after I put out some vittles for the stray cats, I went to visit him. He kept wiping his sweaty brow, and for the first time, I noticed the tattoo on his well-muscled left shoulder. Apparently, he has another child on the way with his fat, homely wife. As I was leaving, he said, "nice talking to you, boss". And I realized I may not see his glorious frame like that for the rest of the year. Reveries.....

by Anonymousreply 6August 11, 2019 11:03 PM

Schools started last week here.

by Anonymousreply 7August 11, 2019 11:03 PM

Surprise bitch, global warming means summer and sun all year long!

by Anonymousreply 8August 11, 2019 11:06 PM

What's "winter"?

by Anonymousreply 9August 11, 2019 11:13 PM

I will start to get excited Labor Day weekend, since that to me signifies the end of Summer and the start of the Fall and holiday season.

I can't wait to turn on my oven and begin cooking real meals again. I'm sick of eating salads. I can't wait to start baking cakes and cookies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 11, 2019 11:14 PM

R9, "Post-hurricane season".

by Anonymousreply 11August 11, 2019 11:14 PM

Cider donuts, pumpkin spice lattes... I plan on being extremely basic this fall.

by Anonymousreply 12August 11, 2019 11:16 PM

Winter is coming.

by Anonymousreply 13August 11, 2019 11:17 PM

R12, Will you be cradling your mug, too?

by Anonymousreply 14August 11, 2019 11:17 PM

Summers are horrible now. Who I really feel sorry for are kids (who the fuck knew that would happen?) When I was a kid, we had a big chunk of time off in the summer and it was a blast; summer crushes, summer jobs for money to spend on said summer crushes, making new friends, catching up with friends from different schools, something to eat and drink was always just the closest house away, sleepovers that lasted for days. It was so great. I know, Mary! Whatever.

I feel bad for kids that don't have that now. Summer break is shorter, and the time they do get off isn't spent exploring or hanging out, or making out, but packed wall-to-wall with designated "activities". Just let kids be kids you asshole parents.

by Anonymousreply 15August 11, 2019 11:21 PM

you better buck up sweetie as in a decade or so you may look back at 2019 very favorably as summers are going to get hotter and hotter and hotter. Its called global warming.

by Anonymousreply 16August 11, 2019 11:45 PM

r16 It is? I've never heard that term. My stars!

by Anonymousreply 17August 11, 2019 11:49 PM

R6 Nice summer reflection. I too shall miss scantily clad hotties, and the plethora of flip-flops and men's sandals till next season.

by Anonymousreply 18August 11, 2019 11:51 PM

This will be the last carefree fall and winter we have before the election madness of 2020, so cradle those mugs and pretend that better days are coming.

by Anonymousreply 19August 11, 2019 11:54 PM

August and September are the worst time of year in California. It's fucking hot and dry, everything that isn't irrigated is scorched brown, fire season ramps up. Going outside is unpleasant, except at the beaches or high in the mountains, and wind fills me with dread because hot winds are how wildfires get out of control.

Every year, some time in August or September, I start craving rain and looking forward to winter.

by Anonymousreply 20August 12, 2019 12:17 AM

Very true r20 Born and raised in Northern California. I wanted to mention the weather in my post above at r15 but it was too depressing. We had *some* hot days that felt unbearable, even if you could find a pool. But those were relatively few, at least nothing to what we have now, and, as you mentioned, these days are happening later in the year.

I am 52 and while August could still catch you out once in a while when I was a kid, September was always a fucking proper September. Now you get hit with September roasters that late July used to feel like.

by Anonymousreply 21August 12, 2019 1:21 AM

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — Forecasters are warning about days of scorching, dangerous heat gripping a wide swath of the U.S. South and Midwest, where the heat index on Monday eclipsed 120 degrees (48.9 Celsius) in one town and climbed nearly that high in others.

With temperatures around 100 degrees (37 Celsius) at midday and "feels like" temperatures soaring even higher, parts of 13 states were under heat advisories, from Texas, Louisiana and Florida in the South to Missouri and Illinois in the Midwest, the National Weather Service reported.

"It feels like hell is what it feels like," said Junae Brooks, who runs Junae's Grocery in Holly Bluff, Mississippi. Around her, many of her customers kept cool with wet rags around their necks or by wearing straw hats.

Some of the most oppressive conditions were in Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi and Oklahoma.

The heat index soared to 121 degrees (49.4 Celsius) by late afternoon in Clarksdale, Mississippi; and to 119 degrees (48.3 Celsius) in West Memphis, Arkansas, the weather service reported. Similar readings were expected in eastern Oklahoma.

In Alabama, the temperature hit 100 degrees with a heat index of 106 degrees by mid-afternoon in Birmingham, the state's largest city.

Heat exhaustion and heat stroke were the leading threats.

"You are more likely to develop a heat illness quicker in this type of weather, when it's really humid and hot," said Gary Chatelain, a National Weather Service meteorologist based in Shreveport, Louisiana, where a wet summer contributed to high humidity.

More of the same is in store for Tuesday, when heat and humidity will again make for dangerous heat indexes over a wide area. However, an approaching cool front should help ease the intense heat by Wednesday in some areas, Chatelain said.

"If you're going out in the summer, prepare for the worst," he said.

In the Mississippi Delta, farmers had no choice but to work in the fields Monday as they scrambled to clear debris and make repairs after floodwaters inundated the region in recent months, Brooks said. Farmers just now able to reach their land.

"The mosquitoes the gnats, the spiders, the snakes — all of them — have been way worse this year," Brooks said.

In Alabama and Tennessee, high school football coaches were adjusting practice schedules Monday and Tuesday, with some moving the workouts indoors and others conducting training in the early morning or evening, The Tennessean reported .

Cooling stations were open in several cities, including Tulsa, Memphis, and Little Rock, Arkansas, officials said.

In northern Alabama, forecasters with the weather service's Huntsville office said Monday they issued the first "excessive heat warning" for the area in more than seven years. Such a warning is more serious than a heat advisory.

The region hardest-hit by the heat wave could experience many more days each year when the heat index soars as the effects of climate change increase, scientists say.

Historically, cities such as Austin, Texas; Baton Rouge, Louisiana; Jackson, Mississippi; and Tallahassee, Florida experience less than a week's worth of days each year when the heat index is over 105 degrees (41 Celsius).

If no action is taken to stop climate change, the number of days when it's that hot will soar in those cities and others, according to a recent study by the Union of Concerned Scientists, "Killer Heat in the United States ." By midcentury, Austin would see 59 days of such extreme heat in an average year. The number of days would increase to 57 in Baton Rouge; 52 in Jackson; and 50 in Tallahassee.

Southern states would feel the brunt of increasingly dangerous heat in coming years, said Astrid Caldas, one of the study's authors.

"Texas and Florida stand out, but also of course Louisiana, and Mississippi and the whole area all the way up to North Carolina," said Caldas, a climate scientist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 13, 2019 12:08 AM

I love summer. The sunshine is so beautiful!

by Anonymousreply 23August 14, 2019 12:49 AM

They're setting up Pumpkin Town up on the highway. One of the farmers hit upon the idea of putting a few wooden slides up and selling roast corn on the cob about 25 years ago. Now it's this huge thing with hayrides, a corn maze, apple cider, donuts and traffic like you can't believe. It became such an attraction that there weren't enough parking spaces, so the farmer bought a smaller piece of land off the highway and put in an apple orchard, sunflower field, pies, jams, pumpkins, coffees and obligatory slides in the shapes of pirate ship, old time schoolhouse, fire engine, castle, etc.

by Anonymousreply 24August 16, 2019 5:36 PM

Where I am the last few autumns have been cold with gales starting in late August and blowing until mid June. Spring is now just extended winter and lasts until the first day the temperature goes from 50 to 80 degrees overnight. Then comes summer, hot and oppressive nonstop from mid June til mid September.

by Anonymousreply 25August 16, 2019 5:41 PM

Let’s just hope WHAT happens?

by Anonymousreply 26August 16, 2019 5:55 PM

I'm the opposite of r20. I live in Southern California and I get depressed when summer ends. I don't mind (dry) heat and I like the longer days. My favorite time of year is from Memorial Day to Halloween. I hate when it gets dark before 6pm and how everything grinds to a halt at the end of the year for the holidays. The beginning of the year is the farthest point away from summer, so it sucks too.

by Anonymousreply 27August 16, 2019 6:00 PM

FUCK WINTER!!!

I hate the cold and my area did not get a break from frigid, freezing temperatures from Sept. to June this least year. I'M OWED MORE SUMMER!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 16, 2019 6:08 PM

I am noticing now it's getting dark much earlier. I love the long, sun-filled days of summer, especially between 5 pm - 8 pm.

by Anonymousreply 29August 16, 2019 6:19 PM

Bet in another couple of weeks we’ll begin to see Christmas stuff on sale in the stores. Many start right after Labor Day.

by Anonymousreply 30August 16, 2019 6:33 PM

Love summer. I hate Thanksgiving to New Years. Ugh fills me with dread.

by Anonymousreply 31August 16, 2019 6:56 PM

r31, I can take the holidays, it's the period after the holidays that fills me with dread. About mid-January until St. Patrick's Day in March. I understand why northerners now snowbird.

by Anonymousreply 32August 16, 2019 7:00 PM

The weather in New England is disgusting. It’s either too hot or too cold. I hate it.

by Anonymousreply 33August 16, 2019 7:07 PM

I also can’t wait for summer to be over! I hate hot weather! Bring on the cold and the nice crisp air!

by Anonymousreply 34August 16, 2019 7:10 PM

I love summer. Warm and beautiful. Who wants to go out in the shit weather of winter?

by Anonymousreply 35August 16, 2019 7:14 PM

I love all the seasons, spring is my favorite when everything is so green and fresh. I love summer but not when it's too hot. High 70s and 80s are fine, but now we're getting more days in the 90s and 100s.

Yesterday it was 105 in my town, unheard of 20 years ago. I have air conditioning but it makes it difficult to work. I'm looking forward to fall. We still get sunny days into October, even some hot ones, but I love the fall colors.

by Anonymousreply 36August 16, 2019 7:17 PM

Obese people are complaining about everything.

by Anonymousreply 37August 16, 2019 8:52 PM

EAT SHIT!

by Anonymousreply 38August 16, 2019 9:14 PM

I always love autumn but kind of dread the holiday season. This time, though, I will be grateful for the holiday season. Summer has been unprecedented (hot) this year.

by Anonymousreply 39August 16, 2019 9:30 PM

If you're living a 300 pound life and have to sweat out the summer, it's no wonder you Dataloungers can't wait for winter.

by Anonymousreply 40August 17, 2019 9:45 PM

It's nice, cold and rainy here in England. We only had that one week of torturous heatwave. Thank God now it's all over!

by Anonymousreply 41August 17, 2019 10:28 PM

R37/R40 Sorry cuntheads but not everyone who hates summer is obese. Some people simply live in places where summers are disgustingly hot and humid and are tired of the nasty shit.

by Anonymousreply 42August 18, 2019 12:18 AM

Dunkin's fall menu is available on Wednesday and Starbucks is bringing theirs back next weekend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43August 18, 2019 11:31 PM

Supposed to be in the 90s today and the A/C at work crapped out. It's bearable now but I will leave when it gets too hot.

by Anonymousreply 44August 19, 2019 2:31 PM

I just bought 3 of the softest fluffiest cosiest throws in fall foliage tones, on markdown, at HomeGoods and next week I start working on my halloween porch decor and tablescapes. Hate to see my local Party City go but the closeout bargains have been a godsend!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 19, 2019 3:07 PM

Noooooo!!!!

by Anonymousreply 46August 19, 2019 4:23 PM

Today in NY is one of the hottest days of the summer. A woman in my office is wearing black tights, boots, a dark cranberry-colored, long sleeved dress and a silk scarf. I wonder if she will show up wearing a sundress and sandals in February. Don't rush the seasons, people!

by Anonymousreply 47August 19, 2019 4:31 PM

That's definitely something you see here in California, R47, and it's even sillier here. September is usually the hottest month of the year and October can have heat waves as well, but the fall fashions are in the fucking stores and some silly women start wearing their new fall frocks when it's 100+ degrees out!

Yes, there's nothing more appropriate for a September heat wave then boots and long-sleeved sweaters.

by Anonymousreply 48August 19, 2019 4:44 PM

Lifetime Angeleno here and this has been one of the mildest summers here that I can remember. August is more than half over and it's not scorching yet. I would love the trend to continue through September-October but I'm afraid it won't. I hope we don't get scorching heat later.

by Anonymousreply 49August 19, 2019 4:51 PM

I'm in Atlanta and have gone all summer long without air conditioning in my car. It's $500 to fix

by Anonymousreply 50August 19, 2019 5:15 PM

I was born and raised in LA. This has been the first summer in nearly ten years that felt like the summers of my childhood (late 80s-90s). Warm, never hot. Dry, rarely humid. Of course, I now expect a horrible Indian Summer to make me miserable though October...

by Anonymousreply 51August 19, 2019 9:40 PM

Jinx, R49!

by Anonymousreply 52August 19, 2019 9:41 PM

New England has been moister than a Debbie snack cake. Today has been unbearable with the humidity and thunderstorms in MA.

by Anonymousreply 53August 19, 2019 9:52 PM

PSL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54August 19, 2019 9:55 PM

Pumpkin spice! Pumpkin spice!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 55August 19, 2019 10:06 PM

I fucking hate high humidity. It fries my brain and makes me sleepy. When the heat and humidity gets too high I can have 3 cups of coffee and still feel drowsy and confused. And the super long hours of daylight are too fucking much. I'll take a nice quiet and dark autumn evening where I can sit outside and enjoy a beer and a smoke over the sun shining at 8 at fucking night and loud screaming brats wandering around everywhere. And to top it all off I have fine hair and hate how it looks during the summer due to humidity.

by Anonymousreply 56August 19, 2019 10:17 PM

Another LA native here who has been pleasantly surprised at how mild Summer '19 has been.

by Anonymousreply 57August 19, 2019 10:19 PM

I wake up to the smell of my own funk from this inglorious summer. Anybody else?

by Anonymousreply 58August 20, 2019 11:31 AM

I get depressed in summer too. I'm in DC and it will be 95 and humid today. Who the fuck wants to go out in that? Plus i sell shit to the Government and there is nobody around in July and August, yet I still have to work...supposedly. Meanwhile it looks gorgeous out but it really isn't. It is like being gaslit every day.

by Anonymousreply 59August 20, 2019 12:11 PM

I haven't felt a breeze in three months I can't wait for this s*** to end.

by Anonymousreply 60August 21, 2019 2:09 PM

Comw to Norway, OP. We've had rain every other day for the past three weeks. Cold mornings with just 10C, increasing to 17-19 degrees by the afternoon. Fairly cold for this time of year.

by Anonymousreply 61August 21, 2019 4:12 PM

I love summer.

If I ever win the lottery, I would seriously consider spending half the year in Sydney or Buenos Aires and the other half in NYC or thereabouts.

I hate when it starts to get dark early and you can't go out without a coat on.

by Anonymousreply 62August 21, 2019 4:15 PM

I love a cool, cloudy day in the fall.

by Anonymousreply 63August 21, 2019 4:18 PM

Best weather is mid 80s, cool breeze, no humidity. If only I could have that for at least 6 months a year instead of the 2 days we’ve had this year like that.

by Anonymousreply 64August 21, 2019 4:42 PM

Painted lady butterflies are here. We have migratory & non-migratory Canada geese and the migrators are back.

I looked out my window today and saw flocks of starlings doing their crazy synchronised swoops -- always a sign of fall.

I've been filling up the hummingbird feeders every other day as they tank up for migration. By mid September they'll be gone. I always feel sad when I fill the feeders and they stay at the same level for several days in a row. I know what's coming.

It always amazes me when I look out my front door at piles of snow and walk out into freezing wind that the same yard can be so hot, humid and full of flowers. It's like there's no moderation. People make fun of how 9/11 was remembered as such a beautiful day but when you live here you know you only get a few days of beautiful, comfortable weather every year. Those September days when the humidity lifts, the sky clears and the sun is warm instead of blistering hot are the best days of the year and they're gone in a flash. Some years we don't even get those days because hurricanes hit and nor'easters start early.

by Anonymousreply 65August 22, 2019 2:34 AM

PSL -- pumpkin spice latte -- is ready to take over your brain

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66August 22, 2019 4:57 AM

I’ve had to run my dehumidifier and air conditioner nonstop because the humidity has been so bad lately. I’m so sick of this shit! Cat wait until fall and those nice cool breezes!

by Anonymousreply 67August 22, 2019 5:26 PM

Same here r67. I hate the summer heat and humidity. Fall cannot get here fast enough. I’ve never been a summer person. I despise summer clothes with everyone’s fat, red lumpy bodies poking out of jean panties and tank tops with their hideous feet in flip flops. The whole world turns into Myrtle Beach for two months.

by Anonymousreply 68August 22, 2019 5:36 PM

I hate the sun coming up early in the morning when you want to sleep in just a little.

June 20 was summer solstice (longest day of year), so we are two months away from that (in the northern hemisphere).

by Anonymousreply 69August 22, 2019 5:44 PM

Autumn is Coming...

by Anonymousreply 70August 22, 2019 5:47 PM

pumpkin spice items are already in stores!

I can't wait for summer to end too.

by Anonymousreply 71August 22, 2019 5:48 PM

[quote]I hate the sun coming up early in the morning when you want to sleep in just a little.

Yes! I also hate the sun taking forever to go down when I want to got to bed early.

by Anonymousreply 72August 22, 2019 6:12 PM

do you go to bed at 7:30, r72? That's when it gets dark now.

by Anonymousreply 73August 22, 2019 6:14 PM

9:00 here, but that’s still too early You go to bed

by Anonymousreply 74August 22, 2019 6:33 PM

As a matter of fact I do go to bed at 8P CDT.

by Anonymousreply 75August 22, 2019 7:59 PM

What the hell? ⤴️

by Anonymousreply 76August 22, 2019 8:00 PM

Yes, it features Dan Stevens.

by Anonymousreply 77April 29, 2020 6:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!