Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Serious dramatic films that come across as comedies

I just finally got around to watching BREAKING THE WAVES and I swear I haven't laughed this much through a film in a long time.

Von Trier had to know he was making an unintentional comedy, right?

Bess McNeill: God gives everyone something to be good at. I've always been stupid... but I'm good at this.

Another one that gets my vote is, sorry Emily Watson, but ANGELA'S ASHES! Everyone pissing and shitting in pots and then puking their guts up when they empty them. LOL My friend and I saw after we had smoked a few joints while in college and were literally laughing so hard we nearly pissed our pants. We ended up going back a second time because we felt bad for being high and thought we didn't get the seriousness of it but I swear to Christ we laughed even harder the second go around and while sober!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75August 21, 2019 2:07 AM

Nell

by Anonymousreply 1August 11, 2019 7:51 AM

Breaking The Waves was meant to star Helena Bonham Carter but she got cold....feet. She made the much better Margaret's Museum.

by Anonymousreply 2August 11, 2019 7:58 AM

I read the plot of this film on Wiki and nearly barfed.

Lars Von Trier = pretentious misogynist creep

by Anonymousreply 3August 11, 2019 8:06 AM

You're not very bright are you OP

by Anonymousreply 4August 11, 2019 8:09 AM

R2 Thank you! (and OP as well). Maybe if I watched Breaking the Wind now I would laugh, but at the time I was bored out of my mind. And that fucking hand-held camera gave me a splitting headache. Halfway thru the movie I was looking at anything but the screen. It was a sold out theater, and this film was hailed as being so brilliant it was like the second coming. The only thing about Emily Watson that appealed to me was that she somewhat resembled Rutanya Alda. What didn't I get??? (I have since loved Watson in just about everything I've seen. I did not see Angela's Ashes).

Sometime after on a friend's strong recommendation, I sat in a nearly empty theater to watch Margaret's Museum. I was spellbound. Loved it. Loved her. She'll definitely be up for an Oscar. The film vanished with nary a trace.

What didn't I get??

by Anonymousreply 5August 11, 2019 8:10 AM

[quote]You're not very bright are you OP

Intelligent enough to use proper punctuation and sentence structure.

by Anonymousreply 6August 11, 2019 9:30 AM

I might get hell for this, but try watching Brokeback Mountain now. Maybe it's because of all the takeoffs since it first came out, but I can't get through it feeling the same way.

by Anonymousreply 7August 12, 2019 5:33 PM

All the Hollywood shit about teachers and students, so fake and so shitty.

by Anonymousreply 8August 12, 2019 5:41 PM

Brokeback Mountain

by Anonymousreply 9August 12, 2019 5:41 PM

I'll admit, I do now always chuckle at Jack Nasty!

by Anonymousreply 10August 12, 2019 5:45 PM

Any time Bette Midler attempts something serious, it's a laugh fest. The woman can land a joke with the best of them and she's always entertaining, but she's not a very good dramatic actress at all. She's usually best in smaller supporting roles where she's not required to show a big range of emotions. Even in a show as silly as Hello, Dolly there are some emotional moments in there and she couldn't land them at all.

by Anonymousreply 11August 12, 2019 8:18 PM

Will Smith, his dramas are fucking hilarious, such a shitty actor

by Anonymousreply 12August 12, 2019 8:21 PM

OP - Been decades since I saw it, but If I remember correctly, it is an indictment on the fucking stupidity of practicing catholics

by Anonymousreply 13August 12, 2019 8:23 PM

Dracula (1992 version)

by Anonymousreply 14August 12, 2019 9:02 PM

Shit, wrong thread.

by Anonymousreply 15August 12, 2019 9:04 PM

Reefer Madness

by Anonymousreply 16August 12, 2019 9:05 PM

R15 yet it still works!

That reminds me of another hilariously campy drama/"horror" film, Shadow of the Vampire.

by Anonymousreply 17August 12, 2019 10:28 PM

Wins this.

Thread closed!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 12, 2019 10:39 PM

Mommie Dearest owns this thread!

by Anonymousreply 19August 12, 2019 10:39 PM

Because choosing one is like choosing your favorite baby.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 12, 2019 10:40 PM

SOPHIES CHOICE

by Anonymousreply 21August 13, 2019 12:45 AM

It's meant to be a thriller but......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 13, 2019 5:02 AM

Dead Again is unintentionally hilarious in a number of scenes, especially Derek Jacobi's death scene at the end.

by Anonymousreply 23August 13, 2019 6:09 AM

Black Swan

by Anonymousreply 24August 13, 2019 7:36 AM

R24 good one. Saw that movie on a flight—what a boring, pretentious piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 25August 13, 2019 7:42 AM

Interiors. I like Woody Allen, but that movie is also a comedy.

by Anonymousreply 26August 13, 2019 7:48 AM

So many old potboilers are in this category:

Written on the Wind - Dorothy Malone mambo-ing while her father expires. Rock Hudson trying to look even vaguely interested in Betty Bacall. Those oil wells pumping, pumping, pumping. "A weakness."

Julie - Perky stewardess Doris Day interior monologues us nearly to death as she realizes hubby Louis Jourdan is homicidal. "I had the chilling sensation of being WATCHED. It was ominous. It was strangely disturbing." Oh yeah, and then she has to land a plane by herself because why not?

Midnight Lace - Doris again, being stalked and terrorized in London. No one who has seen it will ever forget her orgasm in the stuck elevator.

Susan Slade - Connie Stevens gets "in trouble" and later accidentally sets her baby on fire and it's hilarious because I'm a terrible person.

So many more...

by Anonymousreply 27August 13, 2019 8:05 AM

The Hours - Meryl Streep's 'breakdown' in front of the dish washer was hilarious. R1 great choice there with Nell.

by Anonymousreply 28August 13, 2019 8:06 AM

Tree in the wind!

by Anonymousreply 29August 13, 2019 8:46 AM

Those ‘80s pseudo-thrillers like “Angel” and “Witchboard” come to mind.

I’m sure they’re even funnier now with the 30+ years time lapse!

by Anonymousreply 30August 13, 2019 9:12 AM

HA!

Thirty posts, and not a single mention of me! Proves I was a serious filmmaker all along!

HA!

by Anonymousreply 31August 13, 2019 9:22 AM

L'important c'est d'aimer, starring Romy Schneider in her only Cesar-winning performance. It's supposed to be a dark psychological drama but the whole thing is so overwrought and heavy-handed that I actually laughed out loud a few times while watching it. The same guy also directed Possession with Isabelle Adjani, which is equally hilarious (for all the wrong reasons).

by Anonymousreply 32August 13, 2019 9:23 AM

eXistenZ - This supposed to be a scary sci-fi thriller. I went to see it with a friend and we could not stop giggling. It was so ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 33August 13, 2019 11:14 AM

[Quote] Those ‘80s pseudo-thrillers like “Angel” and “Witchboard” come to mind.

Haven't seen Witchboard but I hear it's a fun movie.

by Anonymousreply 34August 13, 2019 11:15 AM

R33 eXistenZ is very funny. All that licking and fondling holes in peoples backs that looked like assholes. And the plugs inserted into them looked like little cocks. Though typical David Cronenberg weirdness.

by Anonymousreply 35August 13, 2019 11:20 AM

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolfe? wins every time!

by Anonymousreply 36August 13, 2019 3:38 PM

R30- I LOVE ANGEL!!! Totally campy!!! RIP Susan Tyrell

by Anonymousreply 37August 14, 2019 12:48 AM

It's kind of obscure and before my time, but I first read about it on DL. The movie "Picnic" I made myself watch it.

Kim Novak as the hometown beauty queen looks like a 30 year old horse and William Holden as the sexy danger drifter has his shirt unbuttoned like your grandpa on a hot night. And they dance s e x y together and it's hilariously weird. Because he's supposed to be her ticket out of town and she looks like she could build her own railroad. He looks like a free ride in the boxcar. The whole film is not ridiculous, it's just so miscast and amped up. Rosalind Russell does some hysterical AND hysterical overacting too. What was PicNic all about really? It's too hot to fuck.

by Anonymousreply 38August 14, 2019 2:00 AM

Blue Jasmine kinda owns this thread too.

by Anonymousreply 39August 14, 2019 2:02 AM

Picnic was a hoot.

Who wanted to see old Rosalind Russell desperate and crazed for cock?

by Anonymousreply 40August 19, 2019 1:42 AM

R40 = Ethel Merman

by Anonymousreply 41August 19, 2019 1:50 AM

Fatal Attraction

Jagged Edge

by Anonymousreply 42August 19, 2019 2:02 AM

Oh god. We had one of those moments, years ago, stoned and could not stop laughing so we had to leave.

The Cotton Club. I know everyone was supposedly high as a kite while making this and it showed.

At one point the guy, I think it was Richard Gere, anyway he was throwing this girl around the dance floor in some representation of an "energetic" dance number and it was too fucking funny for words. She was flung with great force! I The whole thing was an epic disaster.

by Anonymousreply 43August 19, 2019 2:02 AM

This reminds me of my favorite Absolutely Fabulous episode a Small Opening. Saffy writes an earnest biographical play of her tortured life. Midway through it, (at 5:25) the actors are convinced that it’s really a comedy since everyone is laughing. Saffy remains oblivious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44August 19, 2019 2:03 AM

Whore

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 19, 2019 2:07 AM

L'Année dernière à Marienbad

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 19, 2019 2:08 AM

R27 All Sirk melodramas have sinister wit.

by Anonymousreply 47August 19, 2019 2:09 AM

Sirk tends to be hilarious. I second Written on the WInd. But number one hilarious movie is Love Story. I remember laughing with my friends when we went to see it, while people were actually drying. So bad, so hokey. And, of course, the great non-actress, Ali McGraw!

by Anonymousreply 48August 19, 2019 2:12 AM

R39, you beat me to it.

I enjoyed it, but it was too much.

by Anonymousreply 49August 19, 2019 2:13 AM

^^^Crying not drying, though who knows?

by Anonymousreply 50August 19, 2019 2:13 AM

Wasn't Blue Jasmine supposed to be sorta funny, though? It seemed like a few bits were meant to be funny like when she's done talking to that woman on the plane and the woman tells her husband "I have no idea who that was." and when Jasmine gives the really earnest dark speech to those kids and they're just looking up at her like she's insane. That movie has a pretty dark wit.

by Anonymousreply 51August 19, 2019 2:16 AM

This is technically a horror film but I cackled until my stomach hurt throughout The Prodigy (2019).

by Anonymousreply 52August 19, 2019 2:39 AM

All Woody Allen, even the most serious, is tongue-in-cheek. Its the only way to make it through is more pretentious offerings.

by Anonymousreply 53August 19, 2019 2:41 AM

Men Behind The Sun (1988). The death scenes are unintentionally hilarious due to the bad over the top, melodramatic acting and low budget cheesy special effects. The English over-dubs make it even worse, lol.

by Anonymousreply 54August 19, 2019 2:45 AM

Possession with Isabelle Adjani. Her subway freakout is legendary, but the rest of her (and Sam Neil's) performance is equally insane. They both bug their eyes, twitch, wave their hands about, scream, shriek, and trash about for all two hours. It's fucking exhausting.

I hope, for Adjani's sake, they only did one take of this. I don't see how one could keep that up take after take. Come to think of it, maybe it is brilliant in its own way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55August 19, 2019 8:45 PM

Strangeland starring Dee Snider. It is so ridiculous and stupid, i've never laughed so much at a horror movie. It came out in the 90's. Years later after such bad reviews Dee tried to say it was a parody. Yeah right. it was a stupid movie.

by Anonymousreply 56August 19, 2019 10:24 PM

The Happening

The Wicker Man (the remake with Nicholas Cage)

Both of these had me in hysterics.

by Anonymousreply 57August 19, 2019 10:28 PM

R42 is M.

by Anonymousreply 58August 20, 2019 8:43 AM

[Quote] The Happening

I just....who on earth thought Marky Mark would make a great science teacher?? It was bad enough he played an astronaut in Planet Of The Apes.

by Anonymousreply 59August 20, 2019 12:26 PM

The bigger problem with The Happening is Zooey Deschanel's godawful performance.

I love you R55.

by Anonymousreply 60August 20, 2019 1:49 PM

Sllence of the Lambs - takes the cake. Campy as all hell

by Anonymousreply 61August 20, 2019 1:53 PM

The Exorcist

Laughed my ass off at that piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 62August 20, 2019 1:54 PM

Glitter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63August 20, 2019 8:27 PM

Out of Darkness starring Miss Ross.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64August 20, 2019 8:30 PM

I saw BLUE VELVET in a theater when it first came out and thought it was terrifying. I've seen it since then on tv monitors, and on a tv, the movie seems laughably silly to me. I don't know what makes the difference. Maybe it's me and if I saw it again in a theater, I'd laugh at it, but I doubt it. I don't know what accounts for the difference....Kafka's writing is like this - it's terrifying when you read it to yourself, but if read aloud in a group, everyone laughs their ass off at it.

by Anonymousreply 65August 20, 2019 8:32 PM

Creator.

It was about cloning or something. Virginia Madsen’s near death scene at the end was hilarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66August 20, 2019 8:42 PM

That Dingos Ate My Baby movie Meryl made.

by Anonymousreply 67August 20, 2019 8:51 PM

[quote]The Wicker Man (the remake with Nicholas Cage)

And, Thread Closed...

by Anonymousreply 68August 20, 2019 9:03 PM

MAHOGANY (75) is a fabulous laff riot!

by Anonymousreply 69August 20, 2019 9:21 PM

Wild Things is one of the funniest pseudo-thrillers ever. Right up there with Showgirls.

by Anonymousreply 70August 20, 2019 10:02 PM

I laughed during all of Just Between Friends with Christine Lahti and Mary Tyler Moore.

by Anonymousreply 71August 20, 2019 10:27 PM

This man has an Academy Award.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72August 20, 2019 11:19 PM

Wild Things always struck me as trash that knew it was trash. There was a nice trend of that in the 90's with stuff like The Hand That Rocks the Cradle and Single White Female. They're all well made and well acted, but it seems like everyone is having too good of a time to be taking it too seriously.

by Anonymousreply 73August 21, 2019 1:08 AM

IT is supposed to be scary but I thought it was hysterical. When he does that dance I laughed my ass off. I can't wait to see the sequel.

I know Forrest Gump is supposed to have comedic moments but I laughed at all the dramatic ones. My favorite scene is when he starts to run and his leg braces fall off. I howled.

by Anonymousreply 74August 21, 2019 1:22 AM

Cinema's greatest unintended comedy is always "Suddenly Last Summer." There is not another one like it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75August 21, 2019 2:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!