Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“DUNE” (2020) is expected to be the Greatest Sci-Fi film of the Decade

Hans Zimmer has snubbed Christopher Nolan for the first time since 2006 to compose the score.

When an 18-year old Timothée Chalamet played a minor role in one of the best science fiction films of the decade, Christopher Nolan’s Interstellar, little did he know it would prove the precursor to his starring lead in what could become the best science fiction film of the next one, Denis Villeneuve’s Dune.

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

“Before The Matrix, before Star Wars, before Ender's Game and Neuromancer, there was Dune – the greatest science fiction novel ever written”, reads the blurb of my copy of Frank Herbert’s seminal 1965 classic. The epic tale of Prince Paul Atreides’ revolution against a galactic empire has captured the minds of readers for over 50 years, with its giant sandworms, desert bandits and space politics influencing sci-fi culture perhaps more than any other work of fiction. It’s huge. Think The Iliad with lasers.

It was big news, then, when it was announced in 2016 that visionary director Denis Villeneuve (Blade Runner 2049, Arrival) would be helming a two-part film adaptation of the novel. After the runaway success of 2017’s Call Me By Your Name, red hot Hollywood darling Timothée Chalamet was quickly brought on board to play the lead role, followed by a steady stream of high-profile attachments including Oscar Isaac as the aging Duke Leo Atreides, Stellan Skarsgård as the novel’s villain, Baron Harkonnen, and Dave Bautista as the fearsome Glossu Rabban – Javier Bardem, Josh Brolin, Rebecca Ferguson, Jason Momoa and Zendaya will also feature. The Homeric scale of the source material, coupled with the surplus of talent involved, looks set to ensure Villeneuve’s “faithful” Dune saga will leave its mark on Hollywood’s long list of iconic sci-fi successes.

The novel is, of course, not unfamiliar with attempts to translate its grandiose narrative to the big screen. David Lynch’s 1984 film saw the now-acclaimed filmmaker struggle with the technology of the time to convey the sense of scale befitting a story like Dune, opting for a trimmed and muddled version of Herbert’s novel. Famed film critic Roger Ebert wrote of the film: "This movie is a real mess, an incomprehensible, ugly, unstructured, pointless excursion into the murkier realms of one of the most confusing screenplays of all time." Toto provided the soundtrack, which says a lot about what one can expect from a watch of Lynch’s spirited attempt. This is Arrakis, not Africa. Thankfully, Villeneuve has confirmed that his adaptation “will not be linked to the David Lynch movie”. “I’m going back to the book”, he says.

best-dressed men in the world

Though Sting deserves some credit for keeping a straight face while donning those awful space-pants, Villeneuve, Chalamet, Isaac et al. are a different kettle of fish entirely. The striking visuals of the director’s previous work – Blade Runner 2049 won an Oscar for best visual effects – as well as his compelling storytelling ability – think Prisoners and Sicario – makes him the perfect choice to direct a project that could so-easily prove another name on the headstone of big-budget Hollywood failings (John Carter and Jupiter Ascending come to mind). Chalamet, too, has proven himself a gifted leading man, and seems an equally-pertinent appointment as the novel’s troubled teenage protagonist.

What’s more, due to scheduling conflicts, Hans Zimmer recently snubbed Christopher Nolan for the first time since 2006 to compose the score. “Dune is one of my favourite books from my teenage years”, says Zimmer, “I have to do it, and Chris understands I have to do it”. Expect a thunderous soundtrack of Gladiator proportions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 20, 2019 4:55 PM

Filming began earlier this year in Hungary and Jordan and reportedly wrapped last week, and though there’s been little official promotional material to excite fans, a curious video clip posted to Chalamet’s Instagram in April teased what could prove the first look at the rolling deserts of Arrakis . Whether Dune can replicate the success of mega-titles like Star Wars or Avengers remains to be seen, but with a director like Villeneuve at the wheel and the wealth of experience at his disposal, Herbert’s beloved universe appears in safe hands.

Dune is scheduled for release in November 2020

by Anonymousreply 1August 2, 2019 4:45 PM

It can never compare with the original.

"Come closer, Baron!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 2, 2019 4:50 PM

Here's an older, longer thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 2, 2019 4:50 PM

Isn't it a little early to be giving this movie a tongue bath?

The comment about Toto was glib. Their soundtrack is pretty good actually.

by Anonymousreply 4August 2, 2019 5:26 PM

Pedo thread

by Anonymousreply 5August 2, 2019 5:27 PM

R4 = Tom Cruise

by Anonymousreply 6August 2, 2019 5:29 PM

The novel is not an easy novel to adapt, and there are too many things that can go wrong.

We'll see if this is a great sci fi film or ends being a complete faliure

By the way, i read the novel long time ago so i don't know how well the time has treat it

by Anonymousreply 7August 2, 2019 5:32 PM

Calling Villeneuve a visionary is like calling a fast food cook a chef. He's a journeyman director with a tiny bit of flair. Nothing wrong with that, but he's not exactly an artist.

There are moments of true greatness in the Lynch version. Look for this film to be "better" in the blandest, most rote ways possible. But it'll still be a lesser thing.

by Anonymousreply 8August 2, 2019 5:44 PM

Dune needs the Game of Thrones treatment to be done properly. A 2-hour film - or even multiple films - is not the way.

by Anonymousreply 9August 2, 2019 5:53 PM

I don't know about Chalamet as Paul.

And I wasn't knocked out by '84's MacLachlan either. When I read the book in the late '70s, I pictured Paul much differently than either of these two actors.

In fact, I think casting is going to be KEY for the next Dune.

So Chalamet gives me pause. It seems to be stunt casting, just like Sting was.

On the flip side, Ferrer, Phillips, and Hunt were excellent in their roles.

by Anonymousreply 10August 2, 2019 6:03 PM

Timmy's face is getting longer. I've never seen Dune before, as I avoid sci-fi, but I'll see anything Timmy's in. I wish the Woody Allen movie would get depussified. I want to see it. Fuck Dylan Farrow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 2, 2019 6:17 PM

Anyone know who's playing Feyd? IMDB still doesn't say.

I appreciate the greater diversity in casting (it was always ridiculous to make a desert-dwelling group of humans lily white), but the race-blind casting of Bautista as Skarsgaard's nephew is ridiculous. Children of Dune has a description of Stilgar that made it sound like he was meant to be black, so I'm disappointed Bardem is playing him.

by Anonymousreply 12August 2, 2019 6:50 PM

I never liked the book "Dune", and the sequels were dreadful.

The whole thing is such a straight man's fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 13August 2, 2019 7:27 PM

^^ yernutz

by Anonymousreply 14August 2, 2019 8:40 PM

I’ve never read the books.

by Anonymousreply 15August 3, 2019 1:39 AM

King O'Tay

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 3, 2019 7:41 AM

Rebecca Ferguson will play Tim O'Tay's mother.

by Anonymousreply 17October 13, 2019 4:38 PM
by Anonymousreply 18October 13, 2019 7:47 PM

King Timo, or should we say Queen..?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 16, 2019 11:33 PM

I'm looking forward to this. I'm a DUNE fan.

by Anonymousreply 20October 16, 2019 11:59 PM

And The Blue Bird was better than The Wizard of Oz.

by Anonymousreply 21October 17, 2019 12:21 AM

I adore Dune, books and 1984 film and I'm looking forward to the new version but Chalamet fans scare me. They butt in on every Dune topic everywhere. They don't care about Dune, just this guy, and I'm not even sure if he's right for Paul. We'll see....

by Anonymousreply 22October 19, 2019 9:25 PM

I'm hoping for the best with Chalamet's casting as Paul, r22.

Tim seems a little to fey to me but maybe make up, wardrobe, and dialogue will take care of this once he gets into his role.

by Anonymousreply 23October 20, 2019 10:43 AM

R23

[quote] Tim seems a little to fey to me

You are right. But what I find strange is that his 'feyness' started when he did CMBYN, before that he seems to be a perfectly straight-acting bro. So I wonder if he's doing it on purpose — but what for? — It's not doing him any favours.

by Anonymousreply 24October 20, 2019 11:49 AM

[quote]Tim seems a little to fey to me but maybe make up, wardrobe, and dialogue will take care of this once he gets into his role.

The thing is, he's going to be surrounded by guys like Jason Momoa, Josh Brolin and Dave Bautista. I'm not sure all the makeup, wardrobe and dialogue in the world can lend him testosterone he doesn't possess next to manliness like that.

by Anonymousreply 25October 20, 2019 11:59 AM

Maybe that's why he's considered a good actor R25, because he might be able to pull it off. Let's see how it goes

by Anonymousreply 26October 20, 2019 12:41 PM

r25, Timmy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jason Momoa, Josh Brolin and Dave Bautista. You think those mooses could get me to see this dumbass movie? NFW.

by Anonymousreply 27October 20, 2019 12:58 PM

Of course Chalamet's fangirls will see it, R27. It's the Dune and sci-fi fanboys that might not be enthused about the feyness.

by Anonymousreply 28October 20, 2019 1:20 PM

But, but, but, but he’s got that hot model girlfriend. She can’t keep her mouth off him. Doesn’t that erase the fey as it’s designed to do?

by Anonymousreply 29October 20, 2019 3:55 PM

Not if he keeps swishing around in floral suits and enough makeup for everyone on RuPaul's Drag Race.

by Anonymousreply 30October 20, 2019 4:10 PM

Any trailers/production stills yet?

by Anonymousreply 31October 20, 2019 4:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!