Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Spring Breakers (2013) almost reads as a social commentary on todays youth and is a trippy, surreal ride

They do not care about education or work, they just want to party, fuck, do drugs, and take whatever they want without working for it. Just take it from others if need be.

I absolutely love this movie! It is one of my favorites to watch. The acting we got from James Franco should have given him an Oscar nomination for Supporting Actor, he was great, and robbed (twice). The cinematography was Oscar worthy as well.

The film is surreal and fun and full of energy and atmospheric beyond belief. I love the way we get so many scenes of them partying with awesome electronic music and voice overs of them calling home and sounding wholesome.

There is one scene in particular that always stuck out to me, when the girls rob that food joint to get money to go on Spring Break and to get the nerve to do it they say "just pretend its a video game". I wonder if this is the mentality of some that do these things.

The ending is so strange but visually appealing, seeing two small girls walking through a mansion shooting all these big black thugs. Very strange.

The scene of them wearing pink masks with shotguns while singing Britney Spears "Everytime" is iconic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 14, 2019 2:53 AM

I liked the scene when they are telling Faith (Selena Gomez) how they robbed the place and her character is clearly bothered by it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 1, 2019 3:43 PM

James Franco going on about how he is living “the American Dream” by being a Professional Criminal is iconic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 1, 2019 3:46 PM

I really hate that Franco wasted his talent. This film was quite good.

by Anonymousreply 3August 1, 2019 3:47 PM

Franco is too hammy these days. He used to be very good and then he became a soap opera actor while having an Oscar nomination and from then on stuck with their way of acting.

by Anonymousreply 4August 1, 2019 3:50 PM

The final scene is very surreal. The two girls are just floating through, killing all the black thugs, don’t get a scratch on them and then leave casually with no one suspecting them ever of doing this most likely in the future.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 1, 2019 3:51 PM

Sounds like a hellish experience to me.

by Anonymousreply 6August 1, 2019 3:54 PM

[quote]They do not care about education or work, they just want to party, fuck, do drugs, and take whatever they want without working for it. Just take it from others if need be.

Agreed, Boomers suck

by Anonymousreply 7August 1, 2019 3:56 PM

I saw so many people walk out of this movie after only 10-15 minutes

by Anonymousreply 8August 1, 2019 4:01 PM

R8 because the movie has a bunch of grotesque nudity. People weren’t expecting that.

The opening scene is all college aged kids drinking and smoking on the beach with their tits out etc.

The film still made profit and has a cult following. And it was a hit for its target demographic, young men.

by Anonymousreply 9August 1, 2019 4:06 PM

I would've walked out too, but I already paid for popcorn and a drink

by Anonymousreply 10August 1, 2019 4:09 PM

You can watch the opening scene here. The film is clearly aimed toward teen guys with all the tits.

My theater the men there alone or with buddies stayed. The ones that walked out with some straight couples and some females.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 1, 2019 4:12 PM

why are you pushing this movie so hard? it came out 6 years ago

by Anonymousreply 12August 1, 2019 4:19 PM

No one is pushing anything. It’s a discussion thread.

You don’t have an issue discussing films that came out 50 years ago so this shouldn’t be an issue.

by Anonymousreply 13August 1, 2019 4:21 PM

Underrated film. A lot of fun.

by Anonymousreply 14November 13, 2019 12:40 AM

They promoted the shit out of this movie using Selena and she's only in it for about half an hour.

by Anonymousreply 15November 13, 2019 7:39 AM

She’s in the first half.

by Anonymousreply 16November 13, 2019 4:04 PM

It seemed ugly, brutal and clangingly obvious to me. I hate movies that think I'm stupid and need their paper-thin points hammered home to me over and over and over.

by Anonymousreply 17November 13, 2019 4:11 PM

It was basically one long music video. Like the Charlie's Angels movies, but rated R.

by Anonymousreply 18November 14, 2019 2:47 AM

I’m with r17. And James Franco wasn’t even any good.

by Anonymousreply 19November 14, 2019 2:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!