Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

CNN to host climate crisis town hall with 2020 Democratic candidates

[quote]CNN will host a Democratic presidential town hall in September focused on the climate crisis.

[quote]The event will take place on Wednesday, September 4, in New York City. CNN is inviting candidates who meet the Democratic National Committee's polling threshold for the September primary debate to participate, meaning they've reached at least 2% in four approved polls by August 28. Eight candidates so far have met the polling threshold [Biden, Booker, Buttigieg, Harris, Klobuchar, O'Rourke, Sanders, and Warren].

[quote]The climate town hall will follow a similar format to ones CNN held earlier this year in Austin, Texas, Manchester, New Hampshire, and Washington, DC, in which Democratic candidates appeared back-to-back across the course of the evening.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 19, 2019 6:09 PM

Town halls are a waste of time.

“What did you know, and when did you know it?”

“I’m worried about the deficit. Or the debt. Or both, maybe. Or maybe something else.”

“Boxers or briefs?”

by Anonymousreply 1July 26, 2019 1:07 AM

r1 Except this one will be specifically about climate change.

by Anonymousreply 2July 26, 2019 1:11 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 26, 2019 1:11 AM

The planet is dying, almost every country is doing something about it, but sure, let's go with a weird Gallup outlier poll.

Troll.

by Anonymousreply 4July 26, 2019 1:14 AM

I sweat as I was waiting for the bus that was to take me out of the ghetto. Buy my shirts.

by Anonymousreply 5July 26, 2019 1:41 AM

Well, this is important but rather odd for an entire night. Why not have an education town hall, economy town hall, defense town hall, healthcare town hall, infrastructure town hall, election reform town hall, or criminal justice town hall? We just did one that was 50% about immigration.

I’d love a town hall that’s talks about a 10 year plan for this country.

by Anonymousreply 6July 26, 2019 1:43 AM

Have the eight candidates who meet CNN's polling threshold been outspoken about climate change, or made it a key issue in their platforms, more so than did the other candidates who did not meet CNN's polling threshold?

by Anonymousreply 7July 26, 2019 1:47 AM

Nobody gives a damn about "climate change". This is why Trump won.

by Anonymousreply 8July 26, 2019 1:58 AM

Jay Inslee's entire campaign is about his one issue. Tom Perez wouldn't hold a Democratic Party debate dedicated to this issue so CNN appears to be filling the void but Inslee likely won't make the cut. Sad really.

by Anonymousreply 9July 26, 2019 1:59 AM

One of my biggest worries is Russian interference in our business. It does t stop with Trump. It has a cascading effect. Or maybe a telescoping effect. I.e., it gets worse and broader, it spreads out, as time goes by.

by Anonymousreply 10July 26, 2019 2:04 AM

Hank you r8!!!! It’s so true and hard to really feel or see unless you live in Malibu, but hen most of them are already for this issue so it doesn’t move the political needle.

by Anonymousreply 11July 26, 2019 2:05 AM

R11: No, this is not why Trump won and we need to care about this issue. It needs to be talked about and will. Don't like it? Tough shit, it affects you too. And BTW, the person you're responding to is a right wing troll.

by Anonymousreply 12July 26, 2019 2:09 AM

Something needs to be done about climate change whether voters care or not. Hopefully more discussion of the issue will help people realize how important it is. Hopefully...

by Anonymousreply 13July 26, 2019 2:10 AM

Just curious. Why is everyone who has a different opinion a troll? Is everyone on this site just supposed to agree with everybody?

by Anonymousreply 14July 26, 2019 2:41 AM

[quote] almost every country is doing something about it

Oh my sides!

by Anonymousreply 15July 26, 2019 2:50 AM

[bold]8 Democratic presidential candidates will participate in CNN climate town hall[/bold]

[quote]CNN is devoting the evening of Sept. 4 to the climate crisis. Eight of the Democratic candidates have accepted CNN's invitation to discuss this critically important issue: Joe Biden, Cory Booker, Pete Buttigieg, Amy Klobuchar, Beto O'Rourke, Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, Andrew Yang.

[quote]Citing a scheduling conflict, Kamala Harris declined CNN's invitation.

[quote]Candidates have until Wednesday to qualify for this town hall. CNN will extend invitations to Democratic presidential hopefuls who reach 2% in at least four Democratic National Committee-approved polls conducted between June 28 and Aug. 21.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 19, 2019 4:31 PM

Not a good look for Kamala.

r14 Asks a verified troll that has been on my ignore list since the beginning of time...

by Anonymousreply 17August 19, 2019 4:34 PM

r15 That's your counterargument? An empty humourless retort?

by Anonymousreply 18August 19, 2019 4:35 PM

[quote]NEW: Senator @KamalaHarris’ top bundlers are hosting fundraisers for her in Downtown LA and Hancock Park... Those fundraisers directly conflict with CNN’s Climate Crisis Town Hall, which Harris is not attending

Uh-oh. Gurl...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 19, 2019 4:39 PM

Did CNN host a Climate Change town hall for Republicans candidates in 2016? Or any other kind of town hall a poster mentioned upthread?

I agree Climate Change needs to be discussed, but talking about it with Democrats is preaching to the choir. Ask Democrats about their trade, economic, or healthcare policy?? We spent most CNN's debate talking about Healthcare, why not continue the conversation here???

by Anonymousreply 20August 19, 2019 6:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!