Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Retiring at 62

I was talking to a friend of my mother and she said she retired at 62 (was a nurse and it became too strenuous.)

This got me wondering if you retire at 62 and medicare doesn't start until 65....what do you do in between? Private insurance? Medicare thru a spouse?

by Anonymousreply 9July 24, 2019 10:11 PM

You'd either pay for it yourself or get Cobra. If she was in a union, she may get medical coverage after retirement with enough years on the job. You can't get Medicare through a spouse. You could only get coverage through a spouse if they were still working and had family coverage available through their job.

by Anonymousreply 1July 24, 2019 6:17 AM

The ACA worked for me.

by Anonymousreply 2July 24, 2019 6:21 AM

R2, as a retired nurse, she's probably making too much to use the ACA marketplace. Without subsidies, it's the same as buying your own insurance outside the marketplace.

by Anonymousreply 3July 24, 2019 6:35 AM

She was in a union. She mentioned that (and how little nurses were paid before the hospital she worked at got a union.)

by Anonymousreply 4July 24, 2019 6:44 AM

Then she's probably getting insurance at least partially covered until she reaches Medicare age if she was in a union.

by Anonymousreply 5July 24, 2019 6:48 AM

I retired at 55 and I'm still covered by my employer's insurance. I get a subsidy of about $300 per month and my cost is about $300 per month. I'll stay on this plan until I turn 65 and move to Medicare. I'm lucky my employer allowed this for retirees. Subsequent to my leaving work, the retiree plan was modified and now current retirees get no subsidy, but can still get insurance through the company. A friend just retired and he's now paying $600 per month.

by Anonymousreply 6July 24, 2019 7:27 AM

I've had an ACA policy since retiring at 62. Medicare for me starts in December of this year

by Anonymousreply 7July 24, 2019 2:05 PM

I teach college and will retire the end of the upcoming academic year at 62. My institution pays its part of my medical insurance until I'm 65--I pay the contribution to it that ordinarily comes out of my paycheck. The only exception is if you take a new job that offers insurance benefits. I think it's one way of encouraging people who wish to retire before 65 to do so--they aren't stuck with faculty waiting it out at higher salaries (not that our salaries are particularly high, given national averages for college teachers).

by Anonymousreply 8July 24, 2019 2:31 PM

Most employers that offer both health insurance and retirement plans that allow for retirement before age 65 have some kind of provision built in to fill in the gap period. The Federal government is even better -- you can keep your employer-sponsored health benefit at the same rate as when you were employed forever-- and you don't even need to buy Medicare Part B.

by Anonymousreply 9July 24, 2019 10:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!