Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Australian's Mack Horton refuses to share medal podium with Chinese swimmer he's called a 'drug cheat'

Australian swimmer Mack Horton took a stand at the 2019 FINA World Championships by, well, not taking a stand.

After winning a silver medal in the 400-meter freestyle event in Gwangju, South Korea on Sunday, Horton refused to step up to the podium and take a picture with the gold medalist, China’s Sun Yang.

Horton was protesting Yang being allowed to swim in the event despite a pending hearing before the Court of Arbitration for Sport that could potentially end the Chinese swimmer’s career. The 23-year-old has a history of criticizing Yang, who was suspended for three months in 2014 after testing positive for a banned stimulant called trimetazidine.

“This is going to continue to brew over the next 12 months.”

Tensions were high on the men’s 400m free podium, Australian Mack Horton refused to stand next to Chinese swimmer Sun Yang who's facing allegations of doping rule violations that could result in a #Tokyo2020 ban pic.twitter.com/9QN1VfUln7 — CBC Olympics (@CBCOlympics) July 21, 2019

Following Horton’s protest, FINA announced that it would send a written warning to Horton and his country’s swimming governing body.

“While FINA respects the principle of freedom of speech, it has to be conducted in the right context,” the statement said.

The target of Horton’s protest told reporters that he didn’t mind the personal shot, but said he believed the gesture also disrespected China, according to the Associated Press.

"Disrespecting me was OK, but disrespecting China was unfortunate," Sun said.”I feel sorry about that."

As for the man himself, he decided to let the protest speak for itself.

“I don’t think I need to say anything,” Horton reportedly said. “His actions and how it has been handled speaks louder than anything I could say.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 28, 2019 2:47 PM

Yang sounds as guilty as hell.

by Anonymousreply 1July 23, 2019 7:22 PM

I think the Australian is right

by Anonymousreply 2July 23, 2019 7:27 PM

[ITALIC[LOCK 'IM UP!

by Anonymousreply 3July 23, 2019 7:35 PM

It’s happened again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 23, 2019 7:38 PM

I’d like to see women athletes doing the same thing when trans women beat them unfairly.

by Anonymousreply 5July 23, 2019 7:46 PM

Omg.

by Anonymousreply 6July 23, 2019 8:56 PM

They're all on drugs

by Anonymousreply 7July 23, 2019 9:15 PM

They should just fuck it out.

by Anonymousreply 8July 23, 2019 10:16 PM

Well you know the Aussie has a bigger dick...

by Anonymousreply 9July 24, 2019 2:01 AM

He didn't say anything provocative--her stood calmly and accepted his medal politely. I've got no problem with it.

by Anonymousreply 10July 24, 2019 2:40 AM

It’s getting to Sun, he went off on the British guy who still ignored him.

by Anonymousreply 11July 24, 2019 3:04 AM

Extremely RUDE:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 24, 2019 4:26 AM

Embarrassing:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 24, 2019 4:36 AM

They all just need to fuck it out.

by Anonymousreply 14July 24, 2019 11:29 AM

They're all hot with stellar bodies. Surely, they must be able to figure out a solution.

by Anonymousreply 15July 24, 2019 1:22 PM

Australians are such racists!

by Anonymousreply 16July 24, 2019 1:29 PM

Well then some 30 Brit athletes who bypassed the doping rules via their therapeutic use exemptions should be snubbed too. Yes, sure, they were so sick but needed to compete.

by Anonymousreply 17July 24, 2019 1:35 PM

FINA has now decreed that any sort of silent protest will now result in a ban or being stripped of your medal. This is bullshit. The Chinese swimmer is a drugs cheat. I have no issue with wanting to make a stand against this behaviour. I support these protestors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 24, 2019 10:43 PM

FINA is exactly well respected, it seems:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 24, 2019 11:02 PM

^ Oops, sorry, I mean ‘FINA ISN’t exactly respected’...

by Anonymousreply 20July 24, 2019 11:03 PM

Gosh what a surprise - it took 15 replies before the inevitable “Australians are racists” comment.

Horton has issues with Sun being a drug cheat, you idiot R16, not his race.

by Anonymousreply 21July 25, 2019 1:05 AM

Closeted dopers will shout the loudest at those outed ones.

Russian President Vladimir Putin said in 2017 that the country’s rivals were using Therapeutic Use Exemptions to game the system. The exemptions allow athletes to treat medical conditions with substances that would otherwise be banned.

If they were really ill, Putin said, “maybe they should enter the Paralympics.”

Late last month, though, Putin gave a high-profile speaking slot at a meeting of his Fitness and Sports Council to a veteran gymnastics official who urged Russians to apply for more TUEs.

“We must use this opportunity on a legal basis,” Irina Viner-Usmanova told the televised meeting, calling on the sports ministry and the government’s Federal Medical-Biological Agency to help.

Russia’s years of doping scandals, she said, had taught Russia to use legitimate avenues properly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 25, 2019 9:02 AM

Disrespecting China?

FUCK CHINA! I shit on your flag.

by Anonymousreply 23July 25, 2019 9:07 AM

Good move for your future, stupid Oz. The Chinese don't forgive or forget.

by Anonymousreply 24July 25, 2019 9:44 AM

A Chinese person acting like a boor in public? Colour me shocked!

by Anonymousreply 25July 25, 2019 11:54 AM

Oh, dear!

Shayna Jack: Australian swimmer says anabolic agent Ligandrol was found

Australian swimmer Shayna Jack says she tested positive for anabolic agent Ligandrol and that her B sample has also confirmed the banned substance.

Jack, 20, said she "did not intentionally take this substance" and will "fight to clear my name".

The news of the adverse test result was announced on Saturday, confirmed by Swimming Australia (SA) and Jack.

That came 13 days after Jack withdrew from the World Aquatics Championships in South Korea for "personal reasons".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 28, 2019 1:47 PM

The protest should be directed to the governing body, not the competitors. By participating in the competition, you are acknowledging its legitimacy. If the Australian had won, would he have snubbed the Chinese guy? Of course not. To participate, lose and then protest the winner appears like sour grapes.

by Anonymousreply 27July 28, 2019 2:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!