Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Russian LGBTQ activist is killed after being listed on gay-hunting website

A Russian LGBTQ activist, Yelena Grigoryeva, was fatally stabbed in St. Petersburg Sunday night after her name was listed on a website that encourages people to “hunt” LGBTQ activists, inspired by the torture-themed film "Saw."

Reports in the Russian newspaper Fontanka said that a suspect, a “40-year-old resident of Bashkortostan,” had been detained by police.

Grigoryeva, 41, was active with Russia’s Alliance of Heterosexuals and LGBT for Equality and other activist causes, according to the Russian LGBT Network.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 21, 2019 8:56 PM

Lone wolf

mentally impaired

Look the other way

by Anonymousreply 1July 23, 2019 4:52 PM

but the Muslims!!

by Anonymousreply 2July 23, 2019 4:53 PM

Top or bottom?

by Anonymousreply 3July 23, 2019 5:07 PM

It's nice to see the Russians learning from the Republicans rather than the other way around.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 23, 2019 6:00 PM

Bumping this

by Anonymousreply 5July 24, 2019 12:01 AM

Putin needs to eat shit

by Anonymousreply 6July 24, 2019 2:54 AM

Russians are our friends!

by Anonymousreply 7July 24, 2019 2:59 AM

Is lovely for the gay, yes?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 24, 2019 3:01 AM

I talked to Vladimir Putin and this never happened.

You need to be more concerned about those 4 bitches in Congress who hate America.

by Anonymousreply 9July 24, 2019 7:01 AM

But there are no LGBT activists in Muslim countries, r2.

by Anonymousreply 10July 24, 2019 7:08 AM

r10, yes, there are.

by Anonymousreply 11July 24, 2019 5:21 PM

Umm, no, r11. Not in their home countries. I would know that as I still live in a Muslim majority shithole. People like you are always the ones that enable them, pardoning them and turning a blind eye to their vile and backward thinking and actions. Easy for you ignoring all of that shit as you live in a country where they're an "oppressed" minority and can't do shit but it's a different story for me. I still could get killed on the streets or locked up in prison but why would you care? Continue on living with your pseudo-humanitarianism fighting for their rights so you can feel good about yourself while we - their victims- go unnoticed or only mentioned by bigots trying to stir shit. Maybe if Muriel ever decides to ban me you all will get to see my IP address but for now, I'd like to stay anonymous for my own safety because guess what... I CAN STILL GO TO PRISON JUST FOR BEING GAY!

by Anonymousreply 12July 24, 2019 6:04 PM

R12, and Russia is an example of a Christian country where one gets killed for being gay. There are also a slew of Christian African countries where that is so as well.

So the focus just on Islamic countries is a bit misplaced.

Sure most Islamic countries are terrible with LGBT rights but there are some like Turkey, Albania, and Sierra Leone where they have legal equality.

by Anonymousreply 13July 24, 2019 6:08 PM

I could see something like this happening in the United States. You’d only have to get some loon setting up a website, outlining some of the LGBT activists and stoking up hate for it to happen. Everyone remembers what happened with Sara Palin and that picture with the crosshairs.

There’d always be some loser or insane MAGA freak willing to do the dead.

by Anonymousreply 14July 25, 2019 2:38 PM

The murder of Yelena Grigoryeva should wake us all up to the threat to civil rights for all in repressive societies and under authoritarian regimes. I have no doubt that the Putin regime is responsible for this woman's death. His regime in alliance with the Russian Orthodox church appeals to nationalism today that directly targets the LGBT community.

How do I support my fellow gay men and women in Russia and places like it in Eastern Europe and in under repressive societies like Saudi Arabia and Iran? I have a deep love for Russian history and literature. A long cherished dream has been to visit Russia, and I have had the opportunity to do so. I've chosen not to, because I have no desire to spend my money in Putin's Russia. That, I fear, is not enough.

I want to get involved in helping the gay community there. Does anyone here have suggestions?

by Anonymousreply 15July 25, 2019 2:52 PM

"I still could get killed on the streets or locked up in prison but why would you care?"

You hate it so bad that you haven't bothered to leave? Nice trolling effort. And if you bothered to do a google search, you'd find that, yes, there are LGBT activists in the Muslim world. Try again.

by Anonymousreply 16July 25, 2019 3:38 PM

Classic Russian whataboutism to deflect on this thread. Whatabout this? Whatabout anything other than me?

by Anonymousreply 17July 25, 2019 3:42 PM

I'm still a university student cunt, r16. Name one Muslim LGBT activist LIVING in a Muslim majority country, I'll wait. And btw cunt, that's my public IP address 41.237.159.62

by Anonymousreply 18July 25, 2019 3:52 PM

It already has happened, R14. The right-wing rhetoric of violence has lead plenty of people to attacking others and committing mass murder. I know the media tried to claim Sarah Palin's crosshairs graphic was just a coincidence, but we all know it wasn't.

This kind of propaganda works, which is why so many people go to such great lengths to defend it and pretend like it's not a problem at all.

by Anonymousreply 19July 25, 2019 3:55 PM

R18, I don't know if he lives in the Middle East currently, but Hamed Sinno is the lead singer of the band Mashrou' Leila, and he is gay and a gay activist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 25, 2019 3:58 PM

Yes, r20 he is one of the few and I wouldn't say he is vocal at all. He's just openly gay. It takes much more than that to be an activist. His band is currently banned from playing in Egypt after the whole LGBT flag incident that happened two years ago. The men that dared wave the flag are of course in prison now. It was absolutely scary how virtually everyone in the country was for their improsinment.

by Anonymousreply 21July 25, 2019 4:04 PM

Russia is our friend. If you hate Russia, you are anti-American!

by Anonymousreply 22July 25, 2019 4:08 PM

R21, being openly gay in a repressive society is being an activist. My question in an earlier post above asked what more I can do. We need to raise awareness. Here I am sitting comfortably on the East Coast of the united States. Yes, my rights are threatened my civil rights are threatened by policies from the racist, sexist, irresponsible imbecile in the WH and his creepy, sinister, fundamentalist VP which want to expand so-called religious liberties protections. I am still subject to job and housing discrimination in many parts of the US.

But this pales in comparison to the repression and potential lethal acts faced by gay men in Russia, the Middle East, Africa, and other places around the globe. What can we do, besides raise awareness? What organizations are there to support gay men and women in these places?

by Anonymousreply 23July 25, 2019 4:14 PM

I'm not aware of any LGBT organizations that operate here as we're not quite there yet, r23. I think first we must have truly secular governments across the region and from there we can start. I'm betting on leaving after finishing my studies as I'm quite hopeless. Many gays that I personally know want to leave too, few are in denial and are marrying women and starting families. None of us think we can make a change so we either go with the flow or leave. I'm lucky enough to meet many nice tourists at resort towns, that's where I generally feel safe to be who I am as no one does shit to tourists (or those who accompany them).

by Anonymousreply 24July 25, 2019 4:36 PM

[R20] This shows the ignorance of the west. Do you people realize that within Russia and the former USSR Muslims are a large population outside of ethnic Russians? The man was from Bashkortostan where the majority is ethnic Bashkir or Tatar - two Muslim majority ethnic groups. Not to mention he was a ethnic Kyrgyz from Kyrgyzstan a country where 90% of the population is Muslim and Kyrgyz people are traditionally Muslim. Radicalism has been a problem in Kyrgyzstan. So it's funny you mentioned Muslims because you assumed Russia has nothing to do with Islam, lol. Again the ignorance of westerners.

Either way homophobia is an issue in Eastern Europe and Central Asia - both among Christians, Muslims, other religions, and non-religious people.

by Anonymousreply 25August 21, 2019 8:29 PM

Sorry R20 my reply was meant for R2

by Anonymousreply 26August 21, 2019 8:30 PM

R4 you mean Kyrgyz radicals learning from Saudi Arabia as he was an immigrant from Kyrgyzstan. Saudi Arabia has polluted native Muslim communities in Eastern Europe and Central Asia with Salafi bullshit that is foreign to Muslims in these areas.

by Anonymousreply 27August 21, 2019 8:33 PM

R18

Kosovo: https://www.rferl.org/a/pristina-to-host-second-ever-gay-pride-parade/29535674.html

Bosnia: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-bosnia-gay-rights/bosnia-activists-hope-eu-bid-will-help-end-anti-gay-violence-discrimination-idUSKBN0TK4PQ20151201

Albania: https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/albania-s-lgbtq-activists-are-transforming-their-community-n715386

Various predominately Muslim regions of Russia: https://www.rferl.org/a/ufa-gay-bashing-bashkir-activists-police-idle-russia-lgbt/29209973.html

Kazakhstan: https://www.outrightinternational.org/content/sergey-troyeglazov-helping-grow-lgbtiq-activism-kazakhstan

All of these are majority Muslim regions.

by Anonymousreply 28August 21, 2019 8:42 PM

[R12] [R17] Russia is not a Christian country its a multi-ethnic, multi-religious nation that is secular.. Islam was the largest identified religion in the time of the USSR actually, because most Orthodox and Christian people became quite irreligious whereas in many Muslim dominated areas there wasn't that much of a push for atheistic ideologies. Most still are, and are only culturally Russian Orthodox, Eastern Catholic, Armenian Apostolic Christian, Georgian Orthodox Christian, Greek Orthodox Christian etc. Both Christians and Muslims in Russia are fueled by the nations homophobia and fuel the homophobia in the general society at the same time. But homophobia is in communities in Russia where people are barely religious, period.

The murderer of the attacker lived in Bashkortostan.. a predominately Muslim republic in Russia. Again, Russia is not homogeneous. He was also a Kyrgyzstani immigrant, Kyrgyzstan is 90% Muslim... do you realize that Russia and Islam are not indistinguishable? Islam is relevant to the topic, this is not Portugal where Muslims are rare and there is no native Muslim population. It's Russia where most immigrants come from Central Asian predominately Muslim republics and there are many native Muslim ethnic groups within the nation.

by Anonymousreply 29August 21, 2019 8:54 PM

I just want to send positive vibes to the university student in a Muslim country. I hope it all works out well for you.

by Anonymousreply 30August 21, 2019 8:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!