Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jerusalem chief rabbi: Gay people aren’t religious, should cast off observance

Gay rights organizations demanded Tuesday that one of Jerusalem’s two chief rabbis take back remarks he made declaring that homosexuals cannot be religious and that homosexuality is uncontrolled lust that can be conquered by belief in God.

Rabbi Shlomo Amar, the Sephardic chief rabbi of the capital, made the comments during a sermon last weekend in Ashdod. A short video of his remarks was published by the Kan public broadcaster on Monday evening.

The incident came after earlier this month Education Minister Rafi Peretz, also an ordained rabbi, caused uproar by indicating his support for gay conversion therapy, a controversial process that purports to make gay people heterosexual.

Amar, a former chief rabbi of Israel, has also caused controversy in the past by saying that homosexuality is an “abomination.”

Portrait of Sephardi Shlomo Amar, at the time Sephardic chief rabbi of Israel, on November 3 , 2010. (Abir Sultan/Flash 90) “There are people who call themselves religious who also fell into that trap,” Amar told the audience in reference to gay people. “They aren’t religious. It would be better if they cast off their kippah and Shabbat [observance] and show their true faces.

“With their bodies they sin against the Jewish people,” he said, using a Talmudic phrase meaning they are irreligious.

“God knows that it is a lust, a wild lust that needs to be overcome and it can be overcome,” Amar continued.

Referring to conversion therapy, Amar said, “Everyone can overcome. There’s no need for understanding or a psychologist or any nonsense. All they need is to be God-fearing — just belief in God to overcome.”

Three gay religious support groups, Bat-Kol, Havruta, and the Gay Religious Community, issued a joint statement Tuesday questioning by what authority Amar could decide their commitment to religion. “As religious men and women it is not clear to us from where the rabbi draws the power to push us out of Judaism. How does he dare to ask us to give up Shabbat observance and so give up on our religious identity?”

“Rabbi Amar, with your harsh comments you called on our families to vomit us out of our homes and from our communities.”

Eran Globus, director of the Jerusalem Open House, the capital’s leading gay organization, called on Amar to contemplate the damaging effect of his comments.

“Rabbi, we are those whom you meet at the ceremonies and in the yeshivas, in the city streets and in the synagogues,” Globus said in a statement. “Try to think of these thousands of young faces you have seen, looking at you with respect and awe, so that you can begin to grasp the unbearable price they are paying for your irresponsible words.

“We call on you to retract your harsh remarks,” Globus said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 23, 2019 6:38 PM

Well he is half right, gay people shouldn't be religious.

by Anonymousreply 1July 23, 2019 12:05 PM

Where are all the posters who agree with their human rights abuses against Palestine because Israel is such a 'gay friendly' regime?

by Anonymousreply 2July 23, 2019 1:10 PM

No one gives a fuck about homo-murdering Palestine, especially R2.

by Anonymousreply 3July 23, 2019 1:15 PM

At least Israel has a mix of rightwing and progressives

by Anonymousreply 4July 23, 2019 1:23 PM

But Israel is so welcoming of gays!

by Anonymousreply 5July 23, 2019 4:41 PM

This is the expected downturn in gay support as result of Trump. IMO. I know its a stretch.

by Anonymousreply 6July 23, 2019 4:51 PM

The Rabbinate is contolled by the Ultra-Orthodox. They are tightening their death grip on everything. More control, more power, it never seems to be enough. No respect whatsoever for moderate thought or politics. Any Jew who is less than Orthodox is shunned, ridiculed, and insulted by them. It would seem they relish making such pronouncements.

by Anonymousreply 7July 23, 2019 5:01 PM

Fuck this guy and any other person part of any organized religion

by Anonymousreply 8July 23, 2019 5:06 PM

Fuck off mutilators.

by Anonymousreply 9July 23, 2019 5:56 PM

Well, he’s hardly the first person who believes in an omnipotent but entirely invisible entity, whose existence cannot be proven but depends entirely on ‘faith’, who refers to writings from centuries ago that are conveniently unattributable and who coincidentally uses said belief and writings to demand the enforcement of laws that, also entirely coincidentally, give him power and authority while subjugating others.

Like the rest he can fuck right off.

by Anonymousreply 10July 23, 2019 6:05 PM

R10 again - I did once have great sex with an orthodox Jewish gent, built and bearish, with the thickest cock I have ever had the pleasure to attempt to get in my mouth. He also rimmed me passionately. I was a 21 year old, peroxide haired punk in bondage trousers etc. He was in his mid-40s, I guess, and in all the garb. We must have made a great picture. He even told me wear to buy the hats in London. The big round brimmed ones.

Revenge is a dish best served sweaty and hard.

by Anonymousreply 11July 23, 2019 6:11 PM

R11, thy sounds gross as fuck. All the Hasids I’ve ever met could be smelled before they were seen.

by Anonymousreply 12July 23, 2019 6:21 PM

Tony Treif sounds GAF. All the antisemitic goyim can be smellt before they are seen too.

by Anonymousreply 13July 23, 2019 6:31 PM

Mythological creatures

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 23, 2019 6:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!