Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How do pedestrians get hit by trains?

I am Afraid to walk anywhere near a railroad track, and when I must, I’m on hyper alert visually, aurally, and vibration sensing for trains. I hurry up and get away from the tracks

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63July 25, 2019 2:59 PM

They want to, so they do.

by Anonymousreply 1July 23, 2019 3:39 AM

Alcohol is involved, is my thought.

Except at the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 23, 2019 3:42 AM

Sometimes they get tied down to the tracks. 😢

by Anonymousreply 3July 23, 2019 3:43 AM

R3 = Snidely Whiplash

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 23, 2019 3:46 AM

Thank you OP - it’s been a question I’ve had for years. Suicide makes sense - but I see so many stories about “accidentally” getting hit by a train - both pedestrians and dumbfuck drivers who attempt to cross tracks while the signal is down,

by Anonymousreply 5July 23, 2019 3:54 AM

Pedestrians get hit by trains very quickly.

by Anonymousreply 6July 23, 2019 3:55 AM

In some urban areas, the trains don't blow their horns at intersections because the residential neighbors complain about the noise. So a pedestrian who's staring at his phone instead of watching where he's going and looking both ways might wander onto a track without realizing that a train is rushing toward him. At some of those sites, cities are erecting partial gates that pedestrians will bump into, which will cause them to look up and notice where they are. I think that people like this should just be left alone while natural selection takes its course, but the train engineers say that it's distressing for them to hit people on the tracks, so efforts are being made to accommodate their concerns.

by Anonymousreply 7July 23, 2019 4:08 AM

For some it’s a suicide method.

by Anonymousreply 8July 23, 2019 4:17 AM

R2 Yes, Alcohol is frequently involved. At my alma mater, there are train tracks that run between campus and the main bar/party neighborhood, many students got hit walking between the two.

by Anonymousreply 9July 23, 2019 4:44 AM

I live in an area with a LOT of railway lines. I grew up walking along the railway tracks to get around, since they were often a more direct route to a different neighborhood. But I was always very aware, and I don't screw around wearing ear buds or playing around with my phone.

by Anonymousreply 10July 23, 2019 4:55 AM

Smiling, lonely, single, farmer, hobbling life together after prior (possibly still painful) near fatal accident, self medicates and dies.

by Anonymousreply 11July 23, 2019 7:43 AM

Clayton was kinda hot.

by Anonymousreply 12July 23, 2019 8:04 AM

Headphones/ear buds are also a contributing factor. A few years ago, a young man who worked at our company got killed by a train. He was walking home, on the tracks which was a frequent shortcut for him. He had headphones on, and was unaware that a train was approaching from behind. The engineer honked repeatedly, but the kid was completely oblivious. Trains take a long time to slow down, and the kid was killed instantly. This was no suicide, just a really stupid and avoidable accident.

by Anonymousreply 13July 23, 2019 8:31 AM

On drugs/alcohol, suicide method, self-inflicted hearing impairment (headphones), or sheer stupidity (couldn't tell how fast a train was going).

Either of these is lethal.

by Anonymousreply 14July 23, 2019 11:04 AM

The bars in downtown Fort Pierce are very close to the tracks and there’s not much separating the tracks from everything else.

by Anonymousreply 15July 23, 2019 12:05 PM

He was just walking ON the tracks r13? That still sounds like suicide to me. Eventually a train is going to come.

I guess the line between purposeful suicide and Darwin award can be thin.

by Anonymousreply 16July 23, 2019 12:14 PM

My uncle was killed by a train. His car was on the train tracks at night in the rain. He was an alcoholic and everyone assumed it was a drunken mistake.

I’ll never forget my mother getting the phone call (it was her sister’s husband) and telling us kids.

by Anonymousreply 17July 23, 2019 12:15 PM

The only pedestrians who get hit by trains are suicidal, drunk or have earbuds in and their eyes locked on their phones.

I was taught as a child to always walk across the train tracks in a way that my shoes have absolutely no chance of getting stuck between the tracks. I'm also always fully aware thanks to having been raised with serious kidnapping fears (my mother's side of the family were sure my estranged father would kidnap me after my mother died). I never walk the streets with ear buds in or with my eyes locked on my phone. That's how people get mugged/killed. Pay attention to your surroundings. Is that really too much to ask?

A girl I went to high school with got hit by a train but she did it on purpose as she was being bullied mercilessly by the popular cunts.

I've read of instances in Japan where people have thrown themselves in front of trains but actually survived. Flesh torn from their bones. Severed limbs. But they lived. Bad news for those who just assume throwing yourself in front of a train is a guarantee of a quick death. It's not.

by Anonymousreply 18July 23, 2019 12:38 PM

Apparently approaching trains can be surprisingly quiet. You just don't realize it's there until it's too late. Obviously you shouldn't be walking on the rails anyway but still. Cars can be surprisingly quiet as well, and obviously even more so the electric cars. A few weeks ago I was taking a stroll next to an empty highway and suddenly realized there's a car approaching like 200 ft ahead of me. I hadn't heard it all. That made me understand how easy it is to miss fast moving objects.

by Anonymousreply 19July 23, 2019 12:52 PM

r18 Bubbles, are you related to Sausages?

by Anonymousreply 20July 23, 2019 1:01 PM

R20 No I'm not. Just like the last several times you've asked me over the past couple of days.

by Anonymousreply 21July 23, 2019 1:04 PM

On Big Brother season 17, a contestant named Becky told the houseguests about her run-in with a train.

Becky revealed she was in a horrific train accident last year while she was out for a walk. Apparently, there was a large van in her path so she poked her head around the vehicle to see what was coming around the corner and that's when she got hit in the face by a large locomotive. Becky was badly injured but, thankfully, made a full recovery!

by Anonymousreply 22July 23, 2019 1:06 PM

I have never asked you, you fucking cunt. And I shall never ask you anything again, you fucking cunt. May you drown all day long in your essential vaginescence.

by Anonymousreply 23July 23, 2019 1:06 PM

[quote]I have never asked you, you fucking cunt. And I shall never ask you anything again, you fucking cunt. May you drown all day long in your essential vaginescence.

So you're claiming there are multiple belligerent assholes like yourself on here who for some reason have all felt the urge over the past couple of days to randomly accuse me of being the same poster you "all" keep bringing up no matter the topic at hand?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 23, 2019 1:22 PM

Fuck off and die, Bubbles.

by Anonymousreply 25July 23, 2019 1:24 PM

I have this fantasy of witnessing a hot guy get killed. Without anyone looking, I take off his shoes and sniff his feets, then take his pants off and smell his crotch and ass.

by Anonymousreply 26July 23, 2019 1:25 PM

Aura sensing trains? Are you some sort of train whisperer? OP is a freak.

by Anonymousreply 27July 23, 2019 1:26 PM

r26= Jeffrey Dahmer.

by Anonymousreply 28July 23, 2019 1:28 PM

Why are trans hitting pedestrians?

by Anonymousreply 29July 23, 2019 1:31 PM

[quote]Fuck off and die, Bubbles.

The unhinged Sausages troll is desperate to derail every thread with his Tourette style "fucking cunt" and "die" outbursts. I'm putting you on block now so I don't have to read your insanity anymore and everyone can go back to the actual topic. At least until you delete your cookies (again) and I have to block you yet again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30July 23, 2019 1:34 PM

We have way, way, WAY too many trains in the US where the crossings are at grade. Any time cars, trains and people share an intersection, it's pretty dangerous.

(And if you've ever had to wait 45 minutes for a train to go through an area because it blocks the road, you'll also know it's inconvenient as fuck.)

by Anonymousreply 31July 23, 2019 1:37 PM

R26 needs help. Lots and lots of help.

by Anonymousreply 32July 23, 2019 1:37 PM

Well, I liked Bubbles’s comment, so there.

by Anonymousreply 33July 23, 2019 1:42 PM

[Quote]We have way, way, WAY too many trains in the US where the crossings are at grade. Any time cars, trains and people share an intersection, it's pretty dangerous.

You can't idiot proof the world. If people can't keep themselves from getting hit by a train that's their problem.

by Anonymousreply 34July 23, 2019 2:07 PM

OP - get a grip

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 23, 2019 2:10 PM

I had a friend from high school who contracted AIDS and later killed himself by throwing himself in front of a train. He was an only child and his parents never recovered.

by Anonymousreply 36July 23, 2019 2:21 PM

I knew a girl who got hit by a train.

And then she DIED.

by Anonymousreply 37July 23, 2019 2:45 PM

does the future exist?

by Anonymousreply 38July 23, 2019 2:47 PM

Unfortunately, people can't hear a train coming up on them. Believe it or not, trains are silent killers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 23, 2019 2:58 PM

Ugh!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 23, 2019 3:02 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41July 23, 2019 3:10 PM

Japan has a high train suicide rate. Why do you think they keep making those shinkansen trains? To make death quick and painless.

by Anonymousreply 42July 23, 2019 3:22 PM

R37 knew Anna Karenina?

by Anonymousreply 43July 23, 2019 3:34 PM

Greg Plit got hit by a Caltrain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44July 23, 2019 3:39 PM

There’s a railroad crossing near me. It’s one of the few ground crossings on Amtrak’s lines in New England. There was a grandmother with a car full of kids who got killed there, not too long ago. It’s on a dead end but people still get killed there. And I don’t know how.

I had a childhood friend who lifted himself up through the tracks from under a bridge. He was decapitated. And yes, alcohol was involved.

by Anonymousreply 45July 23, 2019 11:22 PM

I read this was a fake, but who really knows. Apparently, selfies with trains is a thing. It’s very selfish. It often does a job on the train engineer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46July 23, 2019 11:25 PM

Train spotter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47July 23, 2019 11:27 PM

This one is upsetting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48July 23, 2019 11:29 PM

Often times it’s a simple matter of being chased by a maniac and having your car die inexplicably on the tracks.

by Anonymousreply 49July 23, 2019 11:53 PM

I think many people don't realize how closely some of us have lived to railway lines. This is my Great-Uncle's old house. We had a thread about this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50July 23, 2019 11:55 PM

Or getting pushed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51July 24, 2019 12:02 AM

There was a harrowing clip a few years ago of three or four teens standing on a track waiting for a train to pass. Unfortunately, they didn't realize the train blaring its horn was approaching at a fast speed on the track they were standing. They were all killed.

I knew a guy who had a fairly serious brain injury from getting down to a NYC subway platform then leaning over to see if a train was coming....he was looking in the wrong direction.

by Anonymousreply 52July 24, 2019 12:05 AM

Boston’s subway tunnels contain a series of alcoves. I assume it’s for people to slip into, if a train is coming. Or mY e for a statue of the Virgin, either will do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53July 24, 2019 12:10 AM

r30

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 24, 2019 12:33 AM

Honestly I think it has to do with lack of awareness of trains. There are trains in some places in the US but they aren't everywhere so people aren't really paying attention. When I lived in Japan I was surprised that there were not more accidents even though people live right on top of train tracks. I don't think that there's a massive coverup either because that's not the kind of thing the Japanese press would hide. Yes there are suicides but those are usually people throwing themselves in front of subways, not around the shinkansen or suburban lines.

by Anonymousreply 55July 24, 2019 12:40 AM

I first read the thread title as "How do PEDIATRICIANS get hit by trains?" Maybe I do need glasses.

At least I didn't think it was "How do patricians get hit by trains?"

by Anonymousreply 56July 24, 2019 1:03 AM

[quote]Becky revealed she was in a horrific train accident last year while she was out for a walk. Apparently, there was a large van in her path so she poked her head around the vehicle to see what was coming around the corner and that's when she got hit in the face by a large locomotive. Becky was badly injured but, thankfully, made a full recovery!

How does one get hit in the face by a train and still have a head? Sounds fishy to me.

I had a friend in high school commit suicide by walking in front of a train.

Just last week a guy visiting the Hamptons was hit and killed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57July 24, 2019 1:27 AM

Encore performance.

He’s going down to the Breaker’s Yard, meaning his service life is over and hereafter he just a source of spare parts. Which is really sad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58July 24, 2019 1:42 AM

This guy didn't get hit by a train, but he was climbing one and was electrocuted. He was 6'5, pretty hot and attending Princeton. He lost 3 of 4 limbs. He's a palliative care doctor now.

He describes it here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59July 24, 2019 11:46 PM

It would not occur to me to climb a train under any circumstance.

by Anonymousreply 60July 25, 2019 1:51 PM

There is a game that kids in Britain sometimes play called "chicken" where they dodge oncoming trains. Sometimes it goes wrong and they are killed or lose a couple of limbs.

by Anonymousreply 61July 25, 2019 2:42 PM

R60, I might. Instead, I was often drawn to exploring buildings rooftops, or water tower tops. I’m lucky I’ve never been arrested for trespassing.

by Anonymousreply 62July 25, 2019 2:57 PM

It seems more and more trans are hitting ordinary people. They must be stopped.

by Anonymousreply 63July 25, 2019 2:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!