Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

This THR Puff Piece on DiCaprio

[quote]"His Brand Is Excellence": How Leonardo DiCaprio Became Hollywood's Last Movie Star

[quote]In an age of pre-branded franchises and social media currency, DiCaprio is a Hollywood unicorn, able to gross hundreds of millions of dollars without wearing a cape, wielding a lightsaber or even having an agent. Will Tarantino's 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood' extend or break the streak?

Gurl, calm down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53July 23, 2019 6:56 PM

"Leo's"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 23, 2019 12:33 AM

I didn't know The Revenant was such a hit... especially for a film as ponderous as that one was.

by Anonymousreply 2July 23, 2019 12:37 AM

There's no puff in that piece. DiCaprio's ability to deliver an audience is exceptional. I wouldn't want to hang out with him. I find plenty of reasons to laugh at him. But he is a talented actor and he has an obvious gift for picking projects/coworkers.

I guess it could read as excessive flattery if you consider "Fisher Stevens thinks he's smart" to be an enormous compliment. Or "vaping with supermodels" as a signifier of a life well-lived.

by Anonymousreply 3July 23, 2019 1:29 AM

Well, he never convinced me as an actor, therefore I see that as a puff piece.

by Anonymousreply 4July 23, 2019 1:35 AM

Nauseating.

His acting has sucked for the last 20 fucking years.

by Anonymousreply 5July 23, 2019 1:38 AM

I can't stand him. The only movies of his I've ever seen was The Departed and Catch Me If You Can. He wasn't anything special in The Departed. And I'd have rather someone like Ben Affleck been in the role

Catch me if you can was dumb

by Anonymousreply 6July 23, 2019 1:39 AM

Probably the most overrated "respectable" (as in non-superhero/action star) male actor of his generation. Joaquin Phoenix is easily a better actor than Leo, and deserves his level of respect.

by Anonymousreply 7July 23, 2019 1:43 AM

Joaquin's a way better actor than Leo, but Leo's in more mainstream fare.

by Anonymousreply 8July 23, 2019 1:45 AM

What I find weird about that article is that they make it sound like he never had an agent. He may not have one now, but he was signed with CAA in his early years.

As for The Departed, it was one his his worst performances imo. I cringed at how forced his attempts at coming across as tough and manly looked. But the people who like that kind of movie are mostly straight males, and straight males suck at reading emotions/body language. They think mugging your way through a performance is great acting.

by Anonymousreply 9July 23, 2019 1:49 AM

Every "true" actor is now signing up to do franchises. Comic fare ie. Gylenhall, J. PHOENIX. But not Leo. He's dependent on his himself. A movie star. Not a paycheck collector

by Anonymousreply 10July 23, 2019 1:52 AM

[quote]straight males suck at reading emotions/body language.

A strange statement.

by Anonymousreply 11July 23, 2019 1:53 AM

He’s boring. I just see the actor movie star. Never the character he’s playing. His characters are ALL THE SAME. The public knows little about him. I’m sure he’s bigger outside of America.

by Anonymousreply 12July 23, 2019 1:55 AM

Now if only he would man-up and come out of the closet...……...

by Anonymousreply 13July 23, 2019 1:57 AM

Nobody wants him for the super hero parts! Lol. He’s an old drunk with the body that goes with it.

by Anonymousreply 14July 23, 2019 1:59 AM

Leo and friend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 23, 2019 2:01 AM

He's turning into a chunky old professor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 23, 2019 2:05 AM

2 superstars meet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 23, 2019 2:07 AM

Bitch, PUHlease.

by Anonymousreply 18July 23, 2019 2:12 AM

[quote] A strange statement.

Well, let me put it this way: male and female brains differ in structure, as well as homosexual and heterosexual brains, leading not only to different preferences, but also different talents. On average, straight men are not as good at reading/understanding emotions as other groups. One of my professors at university even claimed that the average brain of a heterosexual male was 'mildly autistic'.

So my theory is that the average straight male moviegoer prefers a more hammy, unnatural acting style. And straight males seem to be DiCaprio's target audience these days.

by Anonymousreply 19July 23, 2019 2:20 AM

Whatever.

All I know is that in "The Great Gatsby" when he turns to the screen, "I'm Gatsby" and smiles at Nick Carroway, I was bedazzled, pure stargasm.

It was almost the same reaction I had, as a kid, seeing Robert Redford in his tux, up on the big, dark movie screen, gliding Katie Moroskey around the dance floor.

So I'm easily impressed. Sue me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 23, 2019 2:28 AM

Joel Edgerton was hot as fuck in Gatsby.

by Anonymousreply 21July 23, 2019 2:34 AM

Generation X loves Leo. Reminds me of me. No social media, no drama. No need to put shit out there. Just do your job!

by Anonymousreply 22July 23, 2019 2:36 AM

I saw that and I started laughing my ass off. B**** please. How much did they pay Hollywood reporter to run that

by Anonymousreply 23July 23, 2019 2:39 AM

Agree with you, Della/R20! Leo was excellent in “The Great Gatsby” and gave probably his only really decent screen performance post-“Titanic”...

(I can say he is shockingly good in “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood”; Pitt and DiCaprio both are, actually. Tarantino brings out something special in both of them in that. A fun surprise!)

by Anonymousreply 24July 23, 2019 2:40 AM

What do you find so laughable (or offensive) about the THR piece?

by Anonymousreply 25July 23, 2019 2:41 AM

Really he's not done that many movies if he's too busy chasing underage models

by Anonymousreply 26July 23, 2019 2:42 AM

Agreed r21.

by Anonymousreply 27July 23, 2019 2:43 AM

Oh yes, r24, I'll see "Once Upon a Time In Hollywood" for sure.

by Anonymousreply 28July 23, 2019 2:45 AM

I'm excited to see Hollywood. I'm trying to get 70mm tickets at the Arclight Cinerama Dome for Friday. Quite a few showtimes are sold out or close to.

by Anonymousreply 29July 23, 2019 2:47 AM

If you've read the article R26 you'd read that Leo hasn't done a movie in 4 and a half years. He picks his movies. No need to burn out audiences like Will Smith, or The Rock. No need to make two movies a year to stay relevant.

by Anonymousreply 30July 23, 2019 2:50 AM

Leo's greatest performances in the past decade are Shutter Island and Django Unchained. He is actually near perfect in Django but he's playing such a villainous, awful human being plus in a supporting role it often gets forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 31July 23, 2019 3:20 AM

Was his performance in Django Unchained supposed to be comedic?

by Anonymousreply 32July 23, 2019 3:43 AM

That’s the way to see it and the place to see it R29!

by Anonymousreply 33July 23, 2019 3:44 AM

he's gotten very fat and ruined his looks. He literally looks like Jack Nicholson's younger brother at this point. Who wants to see this blob still hogging roles? Not me.

He had his time

Hollwyood is so annoying with their chosen few mindset.

He ain't that great

by Anonymousreply 34July 23, 2019 3:46 AM

Which roles has Leo "still been hogging", R34? That man is a workaholic and knows what's he doing. We all get fat, we all get a bit annoying.

by Anonymousreply 35July 23, 2019 3:52 AM

Do any of the media outlets have the guts to criticize Leo or do they all have a deal with his people to kick his ass no matter what?

by Anonymousreply 36July 23, 2019 4:01 AM

is the puff piece mentioning how he's now into his 40s but only likes to date very young girls? what a fucking fat gross pig. I wonder if he knows Epstein

by Anonymousreply 37July 23, 2019 4:02 AM

His performance in Django was a try-hard embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 38July 23, 2019 4:12 AM

r38 = tasteless ho.

by Anonymousreply 39July 23, 2019 4:12 AM

[quote] All I know is that in "The Great Gatsby" when he turns to the screen, "I'm Gatsby" and smiles at Nick Carroway, I was bedazzled, pure stargasm.

That was pure cheesiness

by Anonymousreply 40July 23, 2019 4:14 AM

The Great Gatsby remake was fucking atrocious

by Anonymousreply 41July 23, 2019 4:18 AM

The Great Gatsby remake worked better than I thought it would. It's better than the Mia Farrow one.

by Anonymousreply 42July 23, 2019 4:23 AM

He had that annyoing, forced 'intensity' in almost all of his post-Titanic roles. I remember seeing The Beach back in 2000 and thinking, what the hell is he doing? Why is he trying so hard? And most of his performances since have been the same.

There are only two exceptions I can think of (and I've actually seen most of his movies - don't ask me why I keep watching them).

1.) Wolf of Wallstreet. While I couldn't stand his character and didn't really care for the movie, I'd say he was believable. Plus, it wasn't just his usual shtick; his mannerisms were actually different from his other characters.

2.) Catch Me If You Can. His only really ENJOYABLE performance in the last 20 years imo. The overacting was tolerable, and he allowed himself to be charming.

I think Jay Gatsby was also SUPPOSED to be a charming character, but I found him stiff, fake and smarmy in that role and just all around irritating.

by Anonymousreply 43July 23, 2019 4:25 AM

He should have won his Oscar for Wolf of Wall Street.

by Anonymousreply 44July 23, 2019 4:27 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45July 23, 2019 4:33 AM

[quote] All I know is that in "The Great Gatsby" when he turns to the screen, "I'm Gatsby" and smiles at Nick Carroway, I was bedazzled, pure stargasm.

Girl bye. There are any number of actors who were better suited for any number of the roles gifted to DiCaprio, including Gatsby.

by Anonymousreply 46July 23, 2019 5:20 AM

Yeah, have to agree with all the other posters that Leo was a poor Gatsby.

Disappointing to say the least.

He's fat, smarmy and an actor that oozes misplaced self - importance. Don't perceive him as inhabiting a character. It is just DiCaprio in all his roles. (And, thus, believe his Oscar was not justly earned.)

There are others who could do/could have done much more with the roles he's been "gifted".

by Anonymousreply 47July 23, 2019 6:08 AM

Agree, R43, “Catch Me if You Can” was a very rare exception in his post-“Titanic” career; he was actually great and charming in that like you said!

And, yes, the “weird forced intensity” leading to nothing has been his greatest acting weakness/bad trick over the past 20 years. Good observation.

He was great in everything before hitting mega-game with “Titanic”, but mostly very bad since.

He is good in “Catch Me If You Can” and “Gatsby” (in my opinion) and is—thankfully—really good in “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” (shockingly—both he and Pitt are super good in it; I’m thinking Tarantino brought it out in them somehow...)

by Anonymousreply 48July 23, 2019 6:11 AM

I will give him credit for not doing any superhero type movie

by Anonymousreply 49July 23, 2019 9:31 AM

Was he ever close? Anything he was rumored for at some point?

by Anonymousreply 50July 23, 2019 9:34 AM

No. Leo doesn’t workout and refuses to, and having a good body is a requirement for superhero movies.

by Anonymousreply 51July 23, 2019 2:29 PM

And Leo's smart enough to be aware of the disastrous effect steroids would have on his receding hairline.

by Anonymousreply 52July 23, 2019 5:00 PM

There are people on datalounge who think Leonardo DiCaprio dates young girls (as opposed to 'dating' them)?

by Anonymousreply 53July 23, 2019 6:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!