Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Damn, you FATTIES got your way!

"Macy’s Removes Plates From Stores After Complaints They ‘Promote Eating Disorders’"

Macy’s has quit selling dinner plates that incited controversy online among people who said they advocated a “toxic message” of portion control.

Alie Ward, a science correspondent for the CBS series “Innovation Nation,” tweeted an image of the plates on Sunday with a caption asking how to get the dinnerware banned. Her photo showed a plate featuring smaller and smaller circles labeled, “mom jeans,” “favorite jeans,” and “skinny jeans.”

The plates, made by a brand called Pourtions that were being sold at Macy’s in-store concept shop, called Story, at the retailer’s flagship store in Manhattan’s Herald Square, aimed to provide “helpful — and hilarious — visual cues” that will “spice up your dinner table, and your conversation,” according to the Pourtions website.

Ward said the plates made her think of the “moms to young girls to guys who dismiss centuries of crushing beauty standards and laugh them off” when she saw them.

“I wasn’t being literal at all in terms of a legal ‘ban,’” Ward wrote to HuffPost in an email, explaining her initial tweet. She said she “just wanted to show the world how insidious beauty culture, and in this case one that shames women, can be. But I wanted Macy’s to know that what they carry and display matters, it can hurt people, and they’re accountable for it.”

Many other people on Twitter shared Ward’s outrage. Some argued that the plates may encourage eating disorders. One responder explained that the plates proliferate a “toxic message, promoting even greater women beauty standards and dangerous health habits.”

“These expectations can actually kill someone, and I know someone it has. [Macy’s], remove this from all of your stores and denounce the manufacturer,” reads the tweet.

Another person wrote that the plates aren’t funny “when you spend your entire existence being told how to look so you can catch a man/have value, and shamed for the most natural things like gaining weight from things like pregnancy, or eating whatever you freaking like.”

Ward said she has “friends who have been hospitalized for eating disorders, who cap off a good dinner by purging, know strong intelligent women who’ve starved themselves to be a certain size, and who obsess about calories so they’re not rejected or ridiculed.”

Macy’s told HuffPost it “quickly removed the plates” from the only location where they were on display after reviewing the complaint. “We apologize to our customers,” the retailer added.

Pourtions’ president Mary Cassidy told HuffPost that the brand feels badly if their plates, which were “meant to be a lighthearted take on the important issue of portion control,” were “hurtful to anyone.”

“Pourtions is intended to support healthy eating and drinking. Everyone who has appreciated Pourtions knows that it can be tough sometimes to be as mindful and moderate in our eating and drinking as we’d like, but that a gentle reminder can make a difference,” said Cassidy.

“That was all we ever meant to encourage. We ourselves use our glasses and plates every day to help us take our own advice. We know this is serious business. We also believe a touch of humor can, for some, be just the right touch,” she said.

Though some critics have called Ward “a whiner and a snowflake,” she was holding firm.

“When you take half a population and make them think that their power is in their value as a sexual object, you weaken their voice as a whole and you end up with a system that’s lopsided and out of balance,” she said. “So it’s not about plates, it’s about letting women know it’s okay to say ‘hey, f*ck this.’”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63July 27, 2019 12:33 AM

Kyle Richards Thinks People Are 'Too Sensitive' Over Macy's Portion-Control Plates

Kyle Richards is laughing off some controversial kitchenware that many have labeled insensitive ... but she does admit it's not something she would buy for her daughters.

The plates in question were being sold by Macy's, and had rings labeled on the plate to show portion control.

However, the portions on the plate were "mom jeans," "favorite jeans" and "skinny jeans," which many believe promotes unhealthy eating and possibly triggers those with eating disorders.

The "Real Housewives of Beverly Hills" star was leaving Fred Segal in Beverly Hills when she was asked about the controversy.

Kyle laughed and explained, "I think it's pretty obvious that they are a joke," but upon further thinking said, "But ya, I definitely wouldn't buy them for my daughters."

Kyle agreed that the PC crowd these days is just "too sensitive" when it comes to controversial topics and humor.

Alie Ward, who appears as a correspondent on CBS' "Innovation Nation," started the push to ban the plates, tweeting out a photo Sunday and asking, "How can I get these plates from @Macys banned in all 50 states."

Actress and body positivity activist Jameela Jamil, supported Ward’s sentiment. “The Good Place” star retweeted Ward and added her own profane commentary.

The plates are part of a collection offered through Macy’s brick-and-mortar STORY exhibit, which carries products from mostly small businesses at 36 stores in 15 states, according to a news release.

It didn't take long for Macy's to get the message, and they responded to Ward by tweeting, "Hi, Alie — we appreciate you sharing this with us and agree that we missed the mark on this product. It will be removed from all STORY at Macy’s locations."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 23, 2019 12:28 AM

[quote]Ward said the plates made her think of the “moms to young girls to guys who dismiss centuries of crushing beauty standards and laugh them off” when she saw them.

She types fat.

by Anonymousreply 2July 23, 2019 12:44 AM

That’s not how eating disorders work.

Or is it?

by Anonymousreply 3July 23, 2019 12:47 AM

Gee, if I see something in a store I don't like, I don't buy it.

Yet another example of the "I'm offended, so it must be plucked out" new fascism creeping into our lives, bit by bit, thanks to these delicate powder puffs, SJWs & all-around busybodies who have no idea how to mind their own business.

by Anonymousreply 4July 23, 2019 12:55 AM

Deathfat bitches agonize when people are stating the obvious. The lard quakes uncontrollably!!! LOL!!!

by Anonymousreply 5July 23, 2019 1:08 AM

They should have been removed for being hideous. What adult would eat from that?

by Anonymousreply 6July 23, 2019 1:09 AM

Young girls, and even women through their 20s can get the wrong idea from this kind of thing. Eating disorders are a real problem millions struggle with.

There are better ways to encourage healthy eating habits then have your plate display made up, arbitrary guidelines of what sort of pants you'll fit into

by Anonymousreply 7July 23, 2019 1:12 AM

Eleanor Roosevelt: "No-one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

Millennials: WAAAAH!!! WAAHH!! WAAAAHHH!!!

by Anonymousreply 8July 23, 2019 1:19 AM

R8 Existential psychology maintains the same. These cheeky plates made me laugh. (no pun or double entendre)

by Anonymousreply 9July 23, 2019 1:24 AM

They're funny and the only people who would buy them are skinny mothers for their skinny 20something daughters.

And there's no Fred Segal in BH either, the story is in WeHo on Sunset near the Mondrian.

by Anonymousreply 10July 23, 2019 1:32 AM

[quote] the only people who would buy them are skinny mothers for their skinny 20something daughters.

That is literally the group most likely to struggle with eating disorders. I was close with someone who was anorexic in high school. It's really not a fun disorder. It made her pretty sick and she eventually had to give up gymnastics, which she was really good at. She wasn't even the only girl at our school who was known to have an eating disorder

by Anonymousreply 11July 23, 2019 1:35 AM

There's a whole world of white space between naturally thin and anorexic R11

I mean I have feels for you because your friend was an anna but plenty of people are thin because eating normal portions and exercising

by Anonymousreply 12July 23, 2019 1:38 AM

R12 it's not even like those were actually healthy portions some nutritionist worked out. Those are just random circles one of the designers made on a computer. The plate wasn't actually trying to help people control their portions, it was just a joke. They are meant to be fun plates to have in you apartment if you're a 20 something girl. No one was meant to follow those portion guides.

But the people who spoke out were mostly saying they thought they would play into the mindset of people with eating disorders and I think it probably would. I'm not saying they had to ban them, maybe make them online only or something. I just get what the people who were complaining were trying to say. I don't think it's an irrational fear even if Macy's overreacted

by Anonymousreply 13July 23, 2019 1:45 AM

Your first para is spot on R13 and then you just dove off Krazy Kliff in P2.

by Anonymousreply 14July 23, 2019 1:47 AM

I just will never understand that mindset R14. Even as it becomes more common.

I get disagreeing the plates would have caused any problem. But I don't understand thinking it's wrong to ever even care if anything you do hurts any other person. That you shouldn't even VOLUNTARILY try to avoid upsetting people.

A company like that has thousands of plate designs they sell. Not selling one of them has no conceivable impact to most people. But some people will argue they should keep them anyway just because it's not worth it to try making even a few people happy. It seems so silly and needlessly spiteful. I don't get the point of it all

by Anonymousreply 15July 23, 2019 1:58 AM

Anorexic patients and morbidly obese people should seek professional help instead of blaming bowls or plates for their own illnesses.

by Anonymousreply 16July 23, 2019 1:58 AM

If you're getting your eating and nutritional guidance from joke plates at Macy's, you've got a lot bigger problems than an eating disorder.

If you don't find them amusing, I suggest you don't buy them and let other people buy them or not as it suits them.

If these plates are causing you emotional distress, I suggest you seek psychiatric help immediately. What studies have proven is that protecting people from things that upsets them and shielding them from ideas they don't like is actually making people less resilient and less able to deal with life's little setbacks.

The reasons these incidents are becoming more and more ridiculous are tied to: 1) people are becoming less and less able to confront uncomfortable ideas; 2) MEEEEEEEEEEEE - if you don't like something, then it should be banned for everyone; 3) Virtue signalling; 4) Sound bites and people needing daily affirmation of that they matter - external validation for internal emptiness.

by Anonymousreply 17July 23, 2019 2:00 AM

We need to boycott the fatties

by Anonymousreply 18July 23, 2019 2:06 AM

R17 That's never been true. You live in a fantasy world if you actually believe that.

Religious groups used to successfully ban entire genres of music and television shows. And religious groups aren't the only one. Many school districts still ban mainstream books. Parenting orgs have basically banned portrayals of people smoking cigarettes on any TV show children could ever watch. There are all kinds of things like that. Those are just facts. Because of the internet, we live in a golden age of freedom of expression this country has not seen ever before. Most young kids are exposed to ten times the amount of ideas they would have been just 10 years ago

Macys volunteering to take something down that was upsetting people is nothing. At least those people had a reason they wanted the plates gone. You just want them there because they upset people. It's not like you want to buy them. It's kind of stupid to argue that so passionately

by Anonymousreply 19July 23, 2019 2:10 AM

r19 - your example is a completely different situation.

Supporting my point. While focused on trigger warnings, it more broadly addresses the impact of people avoiding things that may upset them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 23, 2019 2:16 AM

Agreed with R17 100%

100 100 100

by Anonymousreply 21July 23, 2019 2:17 AM

R19 it's not different at all. Your talk of people becoming less able to confront new ideas because we have banned too many things is just non nonsensical and flies in the face of the last 200 years of history. People are exposed to more than they ever have been. Our society has less control over what people see than they ever have. If you have an internet connection you can see almost anything you want at any time. Both of those are plain facts. You just don't like that Macy's doesn't have your world view but you really have to get over that

by Anonymousreply 22July 23, 2019 2:20 AM

I love these plates. I'm about to eat the grain rice that is in the "o" of "favorites jeans".

Bleh! I feel so bad now. I think I'm going to make myself throw up.

by Anonymousreply 23July 23, 2019 3:30 AM

[quote] What studies have proven is that protecting people from things that upsets them and shielding them from ideas they don't like is actually making people less resilient and less able to deal with life's little setbacks.

Thank you for writing that, R17!

I agree with you 100%.

by Anonymousreply 24July 23, 2019 5:39 AM

If some customers think the plates are funny, it doesn't mean they or the manufacturer think eating disorders are funny or to be encouraged. It just means they have a different perspective.

by Anonymousreply 25July 23, 2019 5:49 AM

[quote][R19] it's not different at all. Your talk of people becoming less able to confront new ideas because we have banned too many things is just non nonsensical and flies in the face of the last 200 years of history. People are exposed to more than they ever have been. Our society has less control over what people see than they ever have. If you have an internet connection you can see almost anything you want at any time. Both of those are plain facts. You just don't like that Macy's doesn't have your world view but you really have to get over that

These statements fly in the face of the study I noted in r20.

You have done nothing to refute that study, nor provided any evidence to support the claims you've noted, r22. You've simply made unsubstantiated assertions about people and new ideas.

by Anonymousreply 26July 23, 2019 3:26 PM

If the plates were selling, they wouldn't have removed them from the stores.

They look stupid, honestly. There's got to be 100 better products out there to remind people to eat less. I've seen everything from magnets to t-shirts to apps for that exact purpose, and none as embarrassing as these plates.

Wonder if companies are now manufacturing drama for free advertising, or as an excuse to get out from an agreement that they later realized was a bad deal?

by Anonymousreply 27July 23, 2019 4:24 PM

I like how the rightwing fuckwits who think this is literal fascism call everyone ELSE "triggered snowflakes."

by Anonymousreply 28July 23, 2019 4:25 PM

[quote]Macys volunteering to take something down that was upsetting people is nothing.

No no, you don't understand, it's FASCISM. It's everything! It's proof that the world is being destroyed AS WE TYPE!

[quote] At least those people had a reason they wanted the plates gone. You just want them there because they upset people. It's not like you want to buy them. It's kind of stupid to argue that so passionately

"Upsetting the libs" is pretty much the only political philosophy that exists here in this hell year of 2019.

by Anonymousreply 29July 23, 2019 4:28 PM

The Ample Community will not be mocked!

Please consider joining our DC protest—The Waddle for Dignity—Sept 7.

by Anonymousreply 30July 23, 2019 4:34 PM

I don't know what's worse: fatties, bisexuals, or foreskin.

by Anonymousreply 31July 23, 2019 8:36 PM

Well, this turned ugly very quickly.

A lot of incels seemed to be easily triggered by the idea of women not starving themselves to death.

by Anonymousreply 32July 23, 2019 9:34 PM

We outweigh you.

by Anonymousreply 33July 23, 2019 10:29 PM

FAT WHORES REJOICE!

by Anonymousreply 34July 23, 2019 10:36 PM

[quote]A lot of incels seemed to be easily triggered by the idea of women not starving themselves to death.

A lot of people think women are so weak and feeble that they need to be protected from plates because they are so emotionally sensitive that they'd starve themselves.

by Anonymousreply 35July 23, 2019 11:32 PM

I had anorexia as a teen, and I'm not offended by this. It's akin to a dietician's advice to use a smaller plate when you eat because American food portions are too large. We DO eat too much by filling our plates, which are too big. People need to calm the fuck down (and eat less). I believe about 65% of the American population is currently overweight.

by Anonymousreply 36July 23, 2019 11:40 PM

Have you noticed there is always a group who doesn't like something and suddenly whatever it is has to be eliminated? In the real world, if enough people didn't like the plates the sales would drop and Macy's would take them off the shelves.

by Anonymousreply 37July 23, 2019 11:41 PM

[quote] It's akin to a dietician's advice to use a smaller plate when you eat because American food portions are too large.

Again it's nothing like that because no medical professional ever had anything to do with this design. The circles are completely arbitrary. So that defense does not make much sense

by Anonymousreply 38July 23, 2019 11:46 PM

No "defense" is needed for choosing dinnerware. It's a matter of personal taste.

by Anonymousreply 39July 23, 2019 11:49 PM

R39 Except you right wingers spend weeks annoying everybody else when a private company's taste doesn't match yours. Macy's chose to remove it. It was a wise choice since keeping it bothered some customers and removing it only bothers smelly, basement ridden trolls who would never buy it anyway. The sooner you learn to accept this (and shower) the easier life will be for right wingers.

by Anonymousreply 40July 23, 2019 11:52 PM

[quote]Have you noticed there is always a group who doesn't like something and suddenly whatever it is has to be eliminated? In the real world, if enough people didn't like the plates the sales would drop and Macy's would take them off the shelves.

True. If this were merely the workings of the consumer market, I'd wholly agree. But, it would be disingenuous to suggest that they stopped selling it for any reason other than fear of backlash from a twitter lynching. Macy's is already in a precarious situation and simply cannot afford any negative press.

It is obviously a joke, not meant to be scientific or a prescription for a diet. Whether it's actually funny or not is a side matter. But, it's clearly a joke. It never represented itself as a dietary regime. It's not like the plates have mirrored surfaces and have "fat bitch" written on them, so that when someone cleared his plate, it would reflect on their own porcine faces after consuming food.

I don't have a problem with the free market. I do have a problem with infantilizing people and "protecting" them from "harmful" ideas, especially when that harm is not scientifically-based and purely an emotional appeal without any basis in fact, especially when it also serves a personal agenda in the modern era of social media memes, notoriety, and the "influencer" pocketbook.

by Anonymousreply 41July 23, 2019 11:57 PM

R4 a woman posted on a neighborhood NextDoor site that she "personally objects" to a new Chick fil-A at Sixth Avenue and 22nd Street. If every gay person in Manhattan refused to visit their locations it wouldn't matter. History proves that boycotts against businesses never work.

by Anonymousreply 42July 24, 2019 12:03 AM

And now, forever21 is running a promotion this week, adding an Atkins diet bar to every order. No complaints from anyone, except... Those receiving the bars in their plus size clothing orders.

Every time people complain about the plates or the diet bars, the guilt they have for being overweight shows and shows and shows. They are pointing fingers at themselves.

by Anonymousreply 43July 24, 2019 12:19 AM

I did want to mention that Macy's was in business with Trump, so they can go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

Meanwhile, some idiot posted this: "History proves that boycotts against businesses never work."

One anecdote doesn't prove anything dear. But I'm guessing thinking isn't your forte.

by Anonymousreply 44July 24, 2019 2:53 AM

Lots of businesses had dealings with Trump, years ago.

by Anonymousreply 45July 24, 2019 3:03 AM

R36

74%!!

74% of the females are overweight in Northern America.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46July 24, 2019 3:17 AM

I actually think that the plates would be a good way to practice portion control.

No kidding.

by Anonymousreply 47July 24, 2019 8:25 PM

Macy's wasn't wrong.

If you eat less, you'll weigh less and can squeeze into those skinny jeans.

by Anonymousreply 48July 24, 2019 8:29 PM

R30 is funny. Waddle lol

by Anonymousreply 49July 24, 2019 9:46 PM

Macy's went too far in forcing all the fatties and eating disorder people to BUY these plates.

by Anonymousreply 50July 24, 2019 9:48 PM

I'M TRIGGERED BY THOSE PLATES!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 51July 24, 2019 9:51 PM

Fact. The amount of food you eat during one meal should be the size of your fist.

by Anonymousreply 52July 24, 2019 9:54 PM

I've been struggling all my life to keep the weight off, and, hands down, the most effective diet plan is portion control (and it's also the hardest). I think the plates are a cute way to help people to diet and control portions. You don't have do buy them if you don't want to. Why keep them from people who are not offended? Because of a single triggered fatty? The fuck has the world turned into? The dicatorship of the perpetually offended?

by Anonymousreply 53July 24, 2019 9:58 PM

I’ve started eating meals on a salad plate instead of the dinner plate

by Anonymousreply 54July 24, 2019 10:00 PM

R53 I think they are cute, too. It's what we call whimsical. I have a few towels, pictures and such in my kitchen that are whimsical. Life is too short for these people to get their knickers in a bunch protesting things that hurt them. It's their guilt that's showing, and what do they do? Point a finger at themselves.

by Anonymousreply 55July 24, 2019 10:16 PM

R53, your post has triggered me.

No, I'm kidding. You're correct

by Anonymousreply 56July 24, 2019 10:33 PM

Goddess sized gals don't need someone health shaming them with a damn diet bar.

by Anonymousreply 57July 25, 2019 12:02 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58July 25, 2019 1:04 PM

R58 38? That's fucking crazy!

by Anonymousreply 59July 26, 2019 8:15 PM

These plates are tacky and trashy as fuck on every level.

by Anonymousreply 60July 26, 2019 8:20 PM

Fatty ^^^^

by Anonymousreply 61July 26, 2019 10:35 PM

Why does it always smell bad in the bathroom after a big gal uses it?

by Anonymousreply 62July 27, 2019 12:26 AM

[quote]The amount of food you eat during one meal should be the size of your fist.

To fatties, that's just an invitation to swallow guilt-free a bottle of ranch dressing

by Anonymousreply 63July 27, 2019 12:33 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!