Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Florida House candidate admits to lying about treating Pulse shooting victims

A former Democratic candidate for the Florida House of Representatives admitted to lying about being a doctor and treating victims of the Pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando. Elizabeth McCarthy, who dropped out of the race last month, said to a state investigator, "I lied."

"I'm sorry that I gave any impersonation," McCarthy told the investigator, according to Florida Department of Health documents obtained by CBS News. "I knew it was wrong and I should have stopped, by no means did I ever mean to put anybody in jeopardy."

McCarthy, 50, was running in a district that includes suburban Orlando. She had claimed on the campaign trail that she is a medical doctor who treated victims of the 2016 shooting at Pulse, which left 49 people dead and 53 injured. At the time, it was the deadliest mass shooting in modern American history.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 22, 2019 10:57 PM

That’s twisted.

by Anonymousreply 1July 22, 2019 10:01 PM

Lying is OK. Remember?

by Anonymousreply 2July 22, 2019 10:02 PM

The Trumpening of America.

by Anonymousreply 3July 22, 2019 10:02 PM

Uh.. why would you lie about being a Doctor while you're putting yourself in a public position like running for Office. How do you think that isn't going to come out unless you're batshit crazy?

And what the hell is she talking about? How did her lie put anyone in, "jeopardy?"

by Anonymousreply 4July 22, 2019 10:13 PM

R4, I think she’s sick in the head. Like that insane woman who claimed to have lost her fiancé in the Twin Towers collapse on 9/11. Sometimes people do it for money. Or sympathy. Or to further a political agenda.

I don’t know how she put anyone in jeopardy if she wasn’t actually trying to practice medicine. Maybe in a real emergency, people would delay calling EMTs/ambulance because “there’s a doctor right here”, but that’s a stretch. Maybe people asked for her medical advice ad hoc, and she misled people?

Whatever. She’s a sicko.

by Anonymousreply 5July 22, 2019 10:39 PM

With a little more detail:

“I wanted to be somebody in the community, and I’m sorry,” Elizabeth McCarthy said in a Florida Department of Health affidavit obtained by Florida Politics. “I’m sorry that I gave any impersonation. I knew it was wrong and I should have stopped — by no means did I ever mean to put anybody in jeopardy.”

“It is a false statement. I just made it up,” she said, according to the affidavit. “I lied.”

As part of the state’s probe, McCarthy was assessed a total penalty of $3,094.95. The Florida Department of Health also issued her a cease-and-desist order. She had 30 days to appeal.

McCarthy, Democratic candidate for Florida House District 28, was accused last month of making up a story that she treated people after the 2016 mass shooting. She dropped out of the race over the controversy.

“That night of Pulse, I personally removed 77 bullets from 32 people,” she told an audience in 2017. “We are never prepared for it. To experience something like this, but we’re trained to go into automatic mode, to know what to do.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 22, 2019 10:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!