Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Coffee-achivin' boozin' fatties, rejoice!

According to researchers at the University of California's Irvine Institute for Memory Impairments and Neurological Disorders (UCI MIND), the secret to living an ultra-long and prosperous life, a.k.a. making it past your 90th birthday, is actually quite surprising.

The secret? Being overweight in your 70s, and drinking both alcohol and coffee...in moderate amounts.

The researchers explained: “People who drank moderate amounts of alcohol or coffee lived longer than those who abstained,” and that “people who were overweight in their 70s lived longer than normal or underweight people did.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 22, 2019 10:22 PM

Pardon me, but I'll take the chance that research is flawed.

I don't buy it

by Anonymousreply 1July 22, 2019 10:16 PM

The extra weight is hell on your joints, so if you do live longer it's more painful years. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 2July 22, 2019 10:20 PM

I think the “overweight in their 70s” thing is that if you do get sick in your old age, your body has some store of energy. I had an elderly friend who said that when she was too thin, she felt vulnerable and her nerves felt they were lacking a cushion. ??? A neighbor down the hall was always a little on the butterball side, and she’s been having some stomach issues (she doesn’t really divulge the details), and she’s lost an alarming amount of weight. She looks sickly and weak. I don’t think *obesity* helps anything, but maybe a few extra pounds are okay.

by Anonymousreply 3July 22, 2019 10:21 PM

It prbably has a lot to do with happiness. Abstaining from alcohol and coffee and food as a health choice probably makes people miserable.

by Anonymousreply 4July 22, 2019 10:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!