Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What are some products that you refuse to buy generic?

I buy nearly everything generic, but I refuse to buy generic coffee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 25, 2019 12:45 AM

Batteries. Who wants their toys to fail before the session ends.

by Anonymousreply 1July 22, 2019 9:57 AM

I only want my processed cheese from Kraft Singles.

by Anonymousreply 2July 22, 2019 10:06 AM

TP— charmin forever!!

by Anonymousreply 3July 22, 2019 10:31 AM

I've been disappointed too many times by generics so I rarely buy them. Same goes for house brands.

by Anonymousreply 4July 22, 2019 11:28 AM

batteries

skin cream

sunscreen

lightbulbs

toilet paper

by Anonymousreply 5July 22, 2019 11:38 AM

pens

by Anonymousreply 6July 22, 2019 11:44 AM

Dairy products. [Sick of farmers being ripped off by Coles , Woolworths and whoever else, under-pricing milk eg AUD1 p/Litre]

by Anonymousreply 7July 22, 2019 11:46 AM

Diet cola drinks.

by Anonymousreply 8July 22, 2019 11:47 AM

mayonnaise. Hellmans' or nothing.

cling wrap. Saran wrap because the store/generic stuff doesn't work.

baked beans. B&M only. The sore ones suck.

by Anonymousreply 9July 22, 2019 11:53 AM

Tide.

by Anonymousreply 10July 22, 2019 12:27 PM

oops. store ones.

by Anonymousreply 11July 22, 2019 12:27 PM

Canned Italian tomatoes.

by Anonymousreply 12July 22, 2019 12:33 PM

Butter. Expensive but worth it.

by Anonymousreply 13July 22, 2019 12:33 PM

Birth control

by Anonymousreply 14July 22, 2019 12:43 PM

Tea (Typhoo, Barry's), instant coffee (Lavazza and L'Or), ketchup (Heinz), pasta (Rummo, Tarall'Oro), spices

by Anonymousreply 15July 22, 2019 12:47 PM

Cola, coffee.

by Anonymousreply 16July 22, 2019 12:47 PM

Q-Tips

Windex

by Anonymousreply 17July 22, 2019 12:54 PM

Oh another poor person's thread. I would rather simply get a job.

by Anonymousreply 18July 22, 2019 1:32 PM

Mayonnaise--Best Foods/Hellman's or nothing.

Tissues--Kleenex is the only one that consistently pops up as it should.

Del Monte canned spinach. All other brands are awful.

S&W kidney beans.

Levi's 501s.

Minute Maid or Donald Duck Orange juice. Other brands just don't get it right.

Knudsen cottage cheese.

Chicken of the Sea tuna.

by Anonymousreply 19July 22, 2019 1:58 PM

Coffee, toilet paper, detergent

by Anonymousreply 20July 22, 2019 1:59 PM

R19 Is canned spinach just as nutritious as fresh spinach?

by Anonymousreply 21July 22, 2019 2:10 PM

OP, Some generics are almost the same item. Others definitely are not. Hard to tell the difference by just the label. Many generics contain HFC like mayo, ketchup, canned fruit, jam, bread, salad dressing, pasta sauce, frozen dinners, canned soup, baked beans.

There are smaller labels for most of the above that are far superior to the famous name brands. Love Kroeger's Simple Truth line and jam from Egypt & Turkey, tomatoes from independent labels.

by Anonymousreply 22July 22, 2019 2:23 PM

Anti-perspirant

Toothpaste

Bar soap

For food, just about anything goes.

by Anonymousreply 23July 22, 2019 3:24 PM

[quote][R19] Is canned spinach just as nutritious as fresh spinach?

I'd be surprised if canned spinach has ANY nutritional value. The only reason I eat it is because it's delicious. I only buy Del Monte, then put a couple of tablespoons of melted butter on it. I have zero expectations that it's in any way good for me.

by Anonymousreply 24July 22, 2019 3:52 PM

Ketchup. Heinz always and forever.

by Anonymousreply 25July 22, 2019 3:57 PM

My clothespins are workhorses. When the reeking starts, Henry Berry & Dairy Extreme Clothespins are a breath of fresh air.

by Anonymousreply 26July 23, 2019 8:06 AM

My clutch pearls must be perfectly round, have a mirror-like luster, and a nacre thickness for serious wear and tear.

by Anonymousreply 27July 23, 2019 2:33 PM

[quote]Is canned spinach just as nutritious as fresh spinach?

Nutritionists extol leafy greens as a key part of any healthy diet. Spinach, for example, is good for muscle efficiency and is associated with lowered risks for cardiovascular disease and diabetes. Spinach may have “beautifying” components as well: in 2011, researchers found that people who ate foods high in carotenoids — like spinach — had a particularly healthy and attractive glow. “If you want a healthier and more attractive skin color, you are better off eating a healthy diet with plenty of fruit and vegetables than lying in the sun,” said the study’s author Dr. Ian Stephen of the School of Psychology, University of Nottingham, Malaysia Campus.

The good news is that you can reap the same nutritious benefits from canned spinach as you can from fresh, for less money. Kapica found that canned spinach not only has a lower per-serving cost than fresh or frozen, but it also offers a high content of vitamin C at an 85% savings.

by Anonymousreply 28July 23, 2019 9:12 PM

Tide, Mayo (Best Foods), Ketchup - HUNT's (Heinz is too sweet), mustard (French's), agree with Knudsen cottage cheese and Donald Duck OJ; pasta- Barilla; American cheese- Kraft Singles. Tea - Lipton (US). Not much of a coffee drinker. For Vodka Smirnoff is surprisingly good for a non-luxury brand. Early California pimiento stuffed olives. Albacore- Bumblebee or Chicken of the sea. Ranch dressing - the only decent bottled one is Ken's. Better to make your own. Vinaigrette- Girard's champagne dressing. Cardini's Caesar. When I drank coffee, Chock Full O'Nuts or Bustelo. Hot dogs- only Hebrew National or Nathan's. Tortillas - Mission. I guess I'm a bit of a brand whore.

by Anonymousreply 29July 23, 2019 9:22 PM

cottonelle for my butt

by Anonymousreply 30July 23, 2019 9:58 PM

Generic pills are horrible. I only use the real thing.

by Anonymousreply 31July 25, 2019 12:06 AM

I have a light beard. Gillette Trac II - been using it for seems like decades. I can perform the shave in less than a minute. It never cuts me. Every other razor eventually shows its flaws.

by Anonymousreply 32July 25, 2019 12:15 AM

I don't believe I have seen a can of Spinach except in a very old Popeye cartoon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 25, 2019 12:18 AM

I stopped to look at canned vegetables when I was shopping yesterday, and was surprised at the variety. Everything from asparagus to zucchini, and yes they had spinach. I bought a can of generic whole baby beets!

by Anonymousreply 34July 25, 2019 12:24 AM

Cento San Marzano Tomatoes for my marinara sauce. Nothing else will do.

by Anonymousreply 35July 25, 2019 12:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!