Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mayo Methot, Humphrey Bogart's first wife

What a depressing life. She was a homely woman to begin with, and having the name "Mayo" was not exactly going to help her become a star. She lost her husband to the likes of Lauren Bacall, and went back home to Oregon and drank herself to death. Any anecdotes about her? She had a supporting role in "Marked Woman" with Bogart and Bette Davis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48July 23, 2019 11:27 PM

Correction: She was his third wife, not first. I didn't realize Bogie had been married twice before.

by Anonymousreply 1July 22, 2019 4:26 AM

She was a crazy and combative bitch by most all accounts. There is one story where she pulled a pistol on him, and it was regular for them to have violent fights. She stabbed him in the shoulder on one occasion. She was a mean, abusive sow.

by Anonymousreply 2July 22, 2019 4:29 AM

What a broad!

That female was the epitome of unlovely broadness.

by Anonymousreply 3July 22, 2019 4:30 AM

Despite the awful things she did to him, Bogart still regularly sent flowers to her crypt until his death. He obviously cared about her for reasons none of us will ever know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 22, 2019 4:31 AM

Bogie cheated with her on his second wife, so she wasn't much of an innocent victim. Both of them were heavy drinkers from the get-go, but Mayo was an abusive, hard-core alcoholic by the time Bogie met Bacall.

Mayo was supposed to be very sexy and attractive before the booze took its toll. Louise Brooks had a good description of her during the time she and Bogie were first seeing one another--sensual dancer--probably part of the issue is that her oomph didn't translate to film.

by Anonymousreply 5July 22, 2019 4:34 AM

Methot? What an unfortunate last name to have, nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 6July 22, 2019 4:45 AM

She sounds like a real spitfire. I would have loved to see her go toe-to-toe with Helen Lawson.

by Anonymousreply 7July 22, 2019 4:49 AM

She's really good in Marked Woman, in a small role but pivotal.

She gave up acting for Bogart, who said his previous marriages failed because his actress wives wouldn't give up their careers. By the time they finally broke up, she couldn't get work anymore and ended up drunk and living with her mom in Oregon.

Everyone thinks he and Bacall were the perfect romantic couple, but he was old and she was a teenager, he'd been married three times already, and was currently getting drunk and beating up his wife while she was doing the same to him. He had no business fucking a teenager, not even Bacall.

by Anonymousreply 8July 22, 2019 4:51 AM

Mayo was actually an accomplished stage actress, and had been on Broadway for years before she met Bogart. They got connected when she went to Hollywood to begin a film career. She had a sad life and was obviously tormented.

by Anonymousreply 9July 22, 2019 4:59 AM

I think they were known as the Battling Bogarts.

Must’ve sucked for her to watch his old movies on TV while living with Mama.

by Anonymousreply 10July 22, 2019 5:08 AM

Bacall was also a total cunt but had youth and beauty on her side. Some men seem to be only attracted to very high maintenance cunts! What's that about?

by Anonymousreply 11July 22, 2019 5:22 AM

I forget which old actor said in an interview that he kept his boat at the same marina as Bogart and Methot kept theirs, and he said he would go out there on a calm day and their boat would be rocking back and forth in the water.

by Anonymousreply 12July 22, 2019 5:52 AM

She wasn't just an alcoholic—according to numerous Bogart biographers, Methot was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia during their marriage. She had also attempted suicide in the past. She was mentally ill, and I think their divorce only compacted it, hence her having to live with her mother in her final years; I think she was so mentally fucked up that she couldn't care for herself, and was self-medicating with alcohol.

by Anonymousreply 13July 22, 2019 5:56 AM

I think it was David Niven who wrote about Mayo starting a brawl at an LA restaurant, and she was punching the fuck out of anyone within reach while Bogie joined Niven under the table.

Sometimes that kind of crazy translates into a hot fuck, but Christ in a bucket of snails it's not worth it.

by Anonymousreply 14July 22, 2019 5:57 AM

Hold the Mayo!

by Anonymousreply 15July 22, 2019 5:59 AM

She sounds like the 1930s equivalent to Courtney Love.

by Anonymousreply 16July 22, 2019 5:59 AM

Mayo was Bogie's third wife, and he was her third husband. And yes, she was a Broadway star, but when she came out to Hollywood, she developed a reputation as a mean drunk. Their mansion up above Sunset was dubbed "Sluggy Hollow, " and a carpenter was kept on call to repair damages wrought by the quarrelsome pair, particularly Mayo, who had a habit of firing off her .45 pistol and blasting everything within view. Peter Lorre witnessed her in rage, scratching at Bogie's face, and he trying to deck her unconscious with a whiskey glass.

R11, Betty was 19 when she met Bogie and hadn't yet developed the cuntiness that she would become known for in later years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 22, 2019 7:48 AM

She was portrayed by Ann Wedgeworth in the made-for-TV movie Bogie (1980).

by Anonymousreply 18July 22, 2019 8:03 AM

I always find it interesting that Bogart was born in the 1800s (1899).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 22, 2019 8:05 AM

Here's an ad for Bogie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 22, 2019 8:07 AM

Here is the movie-

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 22, 2019 10:20 AM

With the Reagans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 22, 2019 10:45 AM

It’s nice to see Jane Wyman with a different hairdo; before she permanently wed her 1950s do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 22, 2019 11:34 AM

Look at Methot in the photo at r22!!

She has just about finished the back-up cocktail in front of her and is glaring at the photographer. She looks like she's just about to attack!

by Anonymousreply 24July 22, 2019 8:46 PM

Mayo was apparently a gifted actress from a young age, and possibly a child prodigy. She was performing in professional theater by age five, and consummately so. Per news articles referenced in her Wiki, she was referencing Sarah Bernhardt as an influence when she was 8 years old. She was not an ordinary child by any means, and was probably a very intelligent woman. Obviously tormented, and did awful things to Bogie, but they both went down the bottle together. Gloria Stuart was friends with them and recalled seeing bruises on her face, indicating he hit back.

by Anonymousreply 25July 22, 2019 9:43 PM

Courtney is also a Portland gal, R16. Maybe the water in the City of Roses produces crazy?

by Anonymousreply 26July 22, 2019 9:44 PM

She was the poor man’s Barbara Pepper.

by Anonymousreply 27July 22, 2019 10:36 PM

Was she a Methot Actress?

by Anonymousreply 28July 22, 2019 10:52 PM

Bogart sure liked severe-looking broads. She had that same hardness about her looks that Bacall possessed, which also only got more calcified by age.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 22, 2019 11:11 PM

For some people, their mood shows up on their face. At a happier moment...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30July 23, 2019 12:21 AM

That looks like Myrna Loy.

by Anonymousreply 31July 23, 2019 12:31 AM

That’s definitely Myrna Loy.

by Anonymousreply 32July 23, 2019 12:43 AM

R23, I think a main reason Jane Wyman never appealed to me as an actress was her silly 1950s 'dos. I know that sounds superficial, but if I'm going to invest my time watching a 2 hour movie, it had better have interesting or appealing actors, and Jane with her severe Mamie Eisenhower-type hairdos was a big turnoff. So what a surprise to see in the 1930-40s she had blonde ingenue hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 23, 2019 1:59 AM

Barbara Pepper

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 23, 2019 3:56 AM

Did anyone ever look good with those Mamie Eisenhower bangs?

by Anonymousreply 35July 23, 2019 4:18 AM

Hollywood tried to dress Mayo up in glamour girl clothes, but she had a squat figure and a face that looked like it was melting under the klieg lights.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36July 23, 2019 4:45 AM

Mayo and Humphrey Bogart with their dogs (1944)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 23, 2019 4:47 AM

Pretty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38July 23, 2019 4:48 AM

The Battling Bogarts at Sluggy Hollow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 23, 2019 4:51 AM

Aboard the Powerboat Sluggy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 23, 2019 4:53 AM

[quote]She sounds like the 1930s equivalent to Courtney Love.

That sounds pretty accurate, the Courtney Love of the 1930s!

by Anonymousreply 41July 23, 2019 4:59 AM

Bogarts homes has to reek of cigarettes and dog.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42July 23, 2019 5:32 AM

I've always wondered if Bacall really loved Bogie or if she just saw him as a father figure helping her through her career? She always spoke about him like that in interviews.

by Anonymousreply 43July 23, 2019 7:47 AM

Many Hollywood types were Methot actors.

by Anonymousreply 44July 23, 2019 11:39 AM

In R42 photo, pregnant Betty was smoking.

by Anonymousreply 45July 23, 2019 12:16 PM

She could have at least shortened it to Sluggy Methhead.

by Anonymousreply 46July 23, 2019 12:25 PM

[quote]Mayo and Humphrey Bogart with their dogs (1944)

More like Humphrey and his FOUR dogs.

by Anonymousreply 47July 23, 2019 4:44 PM

Why is this thread still going? Did Bacall give it some gas?

by Anonymousreply 48July 23, 2019 11:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!