Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have you ever been "on the air" on radio?

Have you ever called in to a radio station to win a prize or make a song request and ended up on the air? Tell us about it.

by Anonymousreply 12August 7, 2019 9:47 PM

No, but the Town Crier once called out my name on St Swithen's Day!

by Anonymousreply 1July 22, 2019 1:41 AM

I used to host a radio show!

by Anonymousreply 2July 22, 2019 1:46 AM

I won a stereo at a bar from a radio station sponsored contest. The next day, they called me to record my reaction. We tried a few times, and they kept telling me to be more enthusiastic. I guess I was never able to fake it, because I never heard them air the recording.

by Anonymousreply 3July 22, 2019 1:57 AM

I worked on air for one of Buck Owens' stations (KNIX) part time while I attempted to get an education at ASU in Tempe, also part time. This was a bizarre rotating weekend schedule that was usually Friday evenings, Saturday mid-days, Sunday overnight/early mornings and Sunday evenings. I also did fill-ins, including morning and afternoon drive. I was a sleep deprived wreck, pretty much. Buck signed the checks personally, and pay wasn't bad for the time.

KNIX played a small amount of rock crossover like Creedence Clearwater Revival and some of the more progressive country artists in the evening hours, making this format less of a chore to do. I think Buck was hipper than you might think, quite interested in the new sounds. There was an enormous 50,000 Watt GE AM transmitter on the other side of the studio glass, and the studio lights would dim slightly due to the power draw when you talked on the air. The girls calling in for requests sounded fat.

by Anonymousreply 4July 22, 2019 3:45 AM

In the 80s, I used to win a trivia contest every 30 days so from one of the major stations in the area. You weren't allowed to win more frequently than every 30 days. Besides the prizes, the morning show hosts would chat with the winner. I won a lot of concert tickets and the like. The hosts would lament on air that there were people like me who kept winning over and over. Sadly, radio trivia contests necessarily died once people could look up answers on the internet instead of having to know the answer already.

by Anonymousreply 5July 22, 2019 3:59 AM

I called in years ago (I was 12) imitating a woman and dedicated "Send in the Clowns to "my boyfriend who is an actor." I made myself sound all breathy and sensuous. They actually played it on the air.

by Anonymousreply 6August 7, 2019 5:45 PM

When I was 13-14 there was an AM station that would ask a trivia question late at night. If you were the first caller with the correct answer, you'd win a record. I won four, but I don't remember if my call was on-air at all. I can only remember 3 of the records so I may have only won three times. I only remember two of the answers. That Rod McKuen wrote/performed Jean (which they had just played, and that Old-Fashioned Wedding was from Annie Get Your Gun. The three records I remember getting were by:

Ray Price

Tiny Time

Moog Groove

and I could swear there was a fourth

by Anonymousreply 7August 7, 2019 6:07 PM

^ Tim, of course, not Time. This was the record....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 7, 2019 6:12 PM

In college, I won tickets to the premiere of Madonna's "Truth or Dare" film by being the 10th caller or whatever. I fagged out and shrieked "I'm Madonna's biggest fan!". They played it back and made fun of me for weeks. Good times...

by Anonymousreply 9August 7, 2019 6:22 PM

Yes, I used to get through to the oldies station "Capital Gold" in London all the time. I had a whole shelf full of Capital Gold T shirts and mugs. Sometimes they'd play an old song backwards and you had to name it - stuff like that.

& I used to get onto radio talk shows - I wasn't so good at that. They filter what you say too much. Not that I want to shock, but they just want stock replies etc...bland. England at its restricted best.

I also used to phone into Cable TV shows in New York in the 70s - Channel M and R, but not J... with friends on the extension, you can imagine...gosh, we were hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 10August 7, 2019 7:10 PM

I was a DJ in college.

by Anonymousreply 11August 7, 2019 7:25 PM

Back in 1991 I entered and won a national “Name-These-Mozart-Tunes” Contest that NPR sponsored. I was interviewed on the air by Susan Stamberg who told me “You’re a whiz!”

My local public radio station sent me a cassette with the interview and I think I still have it somewhere . . .

by Anonymousreply 12August 7, 2019 9:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!