Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jane Fonda's best performance

a poll

by Anonymousreply 33July 23, 2019 3:29 AM

Klute

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 21, 2019 5:49 AM

'They Shoot Horses' can't be unwatched, so please don't watch it. I think it's her best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 21, 2019 5:51 AM

KLUTE

by Anonymousreply 3July 21, 2019 5:57 AM

Barbarella.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 21, 2019 6:01 AM

Klute, They Shoot Horses, The China Syndrome. She really ruled the late '60s and '70s.

Her performances stand the test of time.

Would love to see The Morning After again. It's been a long time.

by Anonymousreply 5July 21, 2019 6:10 AM

Klute recently got a Criterion release.

by Anonymousreply 6July 21, 2019 6:20 AM

She did not rule the 1970s. After Klute Fonda was persona non grata in Hollywood because of her politics for many years.

by Anonymousreply 7July 21, 2019 6:28 AM

the late 70s she ruled: three back to back nominations and then Nine to Five in the 1980. Her career did lag from 1971-1977 because of Vietnam. Although she did turn down some stuff like Chinatown so she wasn't totally unemployable.

by Anonymousreply 8July 21, 2019 6:39 AM

I loved her in Coming Home when I first saw it. I watched it recently. She seemed so mannered it drove my crazy. Unwatchable. I feel the same about a lot of her performances now.

Still think she's great in Klute, though. PHEW!

by Anonymousreply 9July 21, 2019 6:46 AM

ThiS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 21, 2019 6:48 AM

I saw The Book Club the other night and her face was so distracting, not to mention that garish red hair she had. Horrible. It's a shame she went too far with her plastic surgery because it really affects her acting. It's too distracting.

by Anonymousreply 11July 21, 2019 6:55 AM

I hate when actresses do that.

by Anonymousreply 12July 21, 2019 6:59 AM

Even ugly ones

by Anonymousreply 13July 21, 2019 7:00 AM

It's between They Shoot Horses and Klute, though she's also terrific in The Morning After, though it's not as good a film. Being married to Tom Hayden and picking parts because of the message didn't help her acting.

by Anonymousreply 14July 21, 2019 7:53 AM

She said she made "Fun with Dick and Jane" to show America that she could be "pretty" again.

by Anonymousreply 15July 21, 2019 8:08 AM

I have never seen a BAD performance from Jane. She was never quite Faye Dunaway (a little more crazy, a little more raw), but she was always great. Strangely, I love her in California Suite. No one else seems to see her brilliance here, but her "banter" to me is some of the best ever and so perfectly timed and brilliantly executed (Jane and Maggie were the only reasons to watch this bizzare mess of a film). She was spot on and delivered those very memorable lines brilliantly. Fonda was obviously perfect in Klute, but that is an easy blue ribbon vote. She has a unique style of acting but nails it every time in my book... Her stunning beauty has always been obvious, but the woman is/was a great actor as well. Love her...

by Anonymousreply 16July 21, 2019 8:32 AM

The ones where she smokes are always better than ones where she doesn't.

She was pretty good in The China Syndrome, which was a pretty good movie anyway. She was charming in Barefoot in the Park but that was a good play and she had the gorgeousness of youth and Redford.

by Anonymousreply 17July 21, 2019 8:32 AM

The Dollmaker for me. It helps her that it's more of an 'actors showcase' than a great film itself I guess.

Julia is a close runner up for that excruciating train sequence.

by Anonymousreply 18July 21, 2019 8:46 AM

Ah, Julia, I'd forgotten that. The train, the hat, Redgrave all crutched up, Hellman throwing the typewriter out the window.

Good flick.

by Anonymousreply 19July 21, 2019 9:06 AM

Funny how she became so attached to plastic surgery. Her success was never that heavily linked to beauty. I don't know where she got that vanity from.

What's the scoop on why she left Ted Turner? Did he cheat a lot? That HBO documentary (which is free on youtube) says Tom Hayden cheated on her a lot. It doesn't mention Turner cheating. Turner actually seems very sad to have lost her. (she gives some odd explanation that she had to leave him in order to become a full person.)

by Anonymousreply 20July 22, 2019 2:41 AM

I think Fonda has extremely low self confidence and extreme body issues, especially to let her face to be hacked up like that. She didn't need that surgery. She looked fine during Monster-in-Law but in the 15 years since her face looks horrible.

by Anonymousreply 21July 22, 2019 2:44 AM

There was a funny scene on Grace and Frankie where she's in an ER and they won't to perform surgery. She's scared and says I've never had surgery. Lily says really? Even on...and gestures towards the face.

(not sure why she freaked out on Megen Kelly talking about it. She discusses it a lot and even lets the writers poke fun at her.)

by Anonymousreply 22July 22, 2019 2:46 AM

[quote]What's the scoop on why she left Ted Turner?

She became Christian and Turner HATES Christians.

[quote]Actress Jane Fonda was raised in an agnostic home with a Christian Science background. When she converted to Christianity, her faith became one of the reasons she lost her marriage to media mogul Ted Turner who wanted no part of religion. Fonda credits her relationship with Christ and a commitment to prayer with changing the course of her life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 22, 2019 2:48 AM

[quote]She didn't need that surgery. She looked fine during Monster-in-Law but in the 15 years since her face looks horrible.

Jane is too thin. She needs to put on a bit of weight. She looks frail. Probably why she had that knee injury a couple of years ago. Twig legs.

by Anonymousreply 24July 22, 2019 2:50 AM

She had breast cancer and had to have a double mastectomy. She was covering up her bandages when she won the Golden Globes. About two years ago?

by Anonymousreply 25July 22, 2019 3:02 AM

Workout (1982)... otherwise, i really don't see...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 22, 2019 3:44 AM

I just watched Morning After on YouTube. Jane, Jeff Bridges and Raul Julia are great in it and I love the L.A. locations but the script is a mess.

There's a sex scene between Jeff and Jane, and wow, Jane is too thin as r24 says. Now, this was 1985/86 during her workout years but there's a shot of her back and it's so boney. Ugh.

With Book Club, it's weird because her face is so smooth and her neck gives her age away. Plus there are times in the movie she walks like a crouched over old woman. It's very odd.

by Anonymousreply 27July 22, 2019 4:45 AM

[quote]r15 She said she made "Fun with Dick and Jane" to show America that she could be "pretty" again.

They WERE looking for a pretty woman, which is why they came to me, first.

I said no thanks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 22, 2019 4:48 AM

Fonda has said she was never offered "Chinatown".

by Anonymousreply 29July 22, 2019 4:51 AM

[quote]r20 Funny how she became so attached to plastic surgery. Her success was never that heavily linked to beauty. I don't know where she got that vanity from.

Fonda began as a fashion model, an industry that reinforces insecurities. She'd already become bulimic in college, a practice she kept to for decades. While she publicly seemed very "emancipated," she also had a lot of anxiety about her appearance, whether she pleasing her husbands enough, etc. I think part of that came from growing up in a very fucked up family situation - her dad was cold and distant, and her mother killed herself when Fonda was 13 or something.

Her autobiography is very, very interesting.

If Fonda didn't have plastic surgery, she'd never have been hired for major films when she came back with MONSTER IN LAW. Really, this is a demand Hollywood puts on leading ladies, and even those who once were leading ladies. Comedienes and character actresses don't have the same level of pressure, though it's still there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30July 22, 2019 5:08 AM

Has Meryl had work done?

by Anonymousreply 31July 22, 2019 5:23 AM

R24 - actresses can't ever win. Too thin is always preferable to looking FAT. Jane always has looked "fit" to me. On camera, men and women look better when on the thin side. It just is..

by Anonymousreply 32July 22, 2019 8:20 AM

I saw Nine to Five recently again and she is shockingly thin.

So has M had work or not?

by Anonymousreply 33July 23, 2019 3:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!