Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you talk to yourself?

Being bitterly alone as I am, I chat with my cat and sometimes, as I do mundane daily tasks, I like to pretend I'm saving the universe in true drama-laden style complete with over the top dialogue about defeating the ancient enemy of mankind with some superweapon I have discovered. It comes with a high risk of destroying the universe, though! But I must activate it to save us all!

Stuff like that?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47July 22, 2019 10:05 PM

I talk to myself a lot, but I'm trying to channel my Dad, and I give myself good advice. Otherwise, I'm sort of a dunderhead.

by Anonymousreply 1July 21, 2019 3:05 AM

R1 I do that too! I know what he would likely say to me and his posthumous advice has come in handy.

by Anonymousreply 2July 21, 2019 3:08 AM

that's what happen when I talk too much to myself...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 21, 2019 3:09 AM

What does the guy in the picture have to do with talking to yourself?

by Anonymousreply 4July 21, 2019 3:10 AM

He's thinking about the question!

by Anonymousreply 5July 21, 2019 3:11 AM

I don't talk out loud, but I often leave myself rude notes, like "Set your alarm for 7, you lazy fucker". I also intentionally set my future self up to do work that I don't want to do now. I figure if history's any indicator, he'll be an asshole and deserves it.

by Anonymousreply 6July 21, 2019 3:15 AM

OP just wanted to an excuse to post that picture

by Anonymousreply 7July 21, 2019 3:17 AM

[quote]He's thinking about the question!

People like that don't have the mental capacity for that kind of activity.

by Anonymousreply 8July 21, 2019 3:20 AM

OP, it's perfectly normal to talk to yourself, heck, it's even ok to answer yourself. When you start interrupting yourself, you in danger girl.

by Anonymousreply 9July 21, 2019 3:28 AM

I say little things but at most a few times a day or week. I don't have conversations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 21, 2019 3:33 AM

I talk to the dogs, they don't answer back. Does that count as talking to yourself? If it does I am all in.

by Anonymousreply 11July 21, 2019 3:36 AM

I'm a loner, live alone. Talk to myself all the time, mostly in affirmation and self-deprecation. In public, people sometimes ask "Did you say something to me?". To which I reply, "No, I was talking to myself". I find I enjoy far more intelligent conversations with myself than with the smart-phone obsessed masses.

by Anonymousreply 12July 21, 2019 3:48 AM

I talk, answer, gesture and mumble. Most of my interaction when I’m am out in public is less than kind or sympathetic. Medications haven’t really helped and they give me crazy eyes. Which goes great with the talking, mumbling and moving hands.

by Anonymousreply 13July 21, 2019 4:00 AM

I talk to the cats and they sleep right through me. Who knows what the neighbors think? Thankfully, I don't care.

by Anonymousreply 14July 21, 2019 4:04 AM

I do but I shouldn't as the military now has a technology to listen.

by Anonymousreply 15July 21, 2019 4:06 AM

OP, is that you?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 21, 2019 4:08 AM

Talking to yourself, dear? That's the first sign of madness, you know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 21, 2019 4:09 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 21, 2019 4:42 AM

Urg I do this all the time, at home, in the car, wherever I know I am completely alone. While it sometimes bothers me (I do sometimes feel like I'm insane), much of the talking is me having a one-sided conversation with people I need/want to talk to about something specific. It's a form of rehearsal I guess. I have a friend who is having a very difficult time right now, made worse by her very poor decision-making skills and general boneheaded-ness. It's hard to discuss with her due to her own issue with denial; so I talk to her, but without her being there. Unfortunately, I never really have the balls to do the full performance to the intended person. But it's very cathartic. As of late, I have few friendships with people who can adequately discuss topics I like. And even with some of my most intelligent, well-spoken friends, they just don't seem to get from where I'm coming on certain topics. So I find it nice to be able to sit on my porch during the evenings and discuss the topics with myself. Or I come on here and bitch at you bitches. You all help me through this challenging time!

by Anonymousreply 19July 21, 2019 8:54 AM

I talk to myself when alone in the house, it's nice to have a conversation with an intelligent person...

by Anonymousreply 20July 21, 2019 9:13 AM

Verbalization of inner thoughts. If you didn't say it out loud, then you'd still be saying it all in your head. Not a big deal.

by Anonymousreply 21July 21, 2019 9:30 AM

Am I the only one who doesn’t think 1/2 of those bluetooths are really turned on?

by Anonymousreply 22July 21, 2019 9:41 AM

I talk to my cats all the time. They’re certainly better, and more intelligent, company than most humans.

by Anonymousreply 23July 21, 2019 9:55 AM

No. I get quite enough cuntery on the DL, thx.

by Anonymousreply 24July 21, 2019 10:19 AM

Only crazy people talk to myself. Being a cool dude, I've done time and of course, I didn't give into the man so I was placed in the pound many-a-times. I never once in all that time in the hole, talked to myself. Why? Because I'm not crazy.

by Anonymousreply 25July 21, 2019 2:02 PM

Great pic, OP. Guys in deep thought are hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 21, 2019 2:38 PM

I'm very lonely. I like my inside head to say how ugly and alone I'll always be. At least it tells the truth.

by Anonymousreply 27July 21, 2019 2:58 PM

I read about how some people think in language and others don't. I certainly do, and I wonder if that isn't why I do talk out loud when I'm home alone. I'm not talking to myself in the sense of a conversation but I'm working out a sentence or thought, and out loud is where it comes together for me. I've always done it. It can be exhausting when it's rehearsing difficult conversations and I get into an iterative loop.

by Anonymousreply 28July 21, 2019 3:04 PM

My favorite sculpture, R26, The Wanker.

by Anonymousreply 29July 21, 2019 3:19 PM

Below as above, you are sincerely loved, R27. Squash that negative voice, and learn to appreciate the simple things. "I am grateful for........" and so and and so on. Have a nice day, pal.

by Anonymousreply 30July 21, 2019 3:35 PM

We talk for hours.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 21, 2019 3:36 PM

[quote]It's hard to discuss with her due to her own issue with denial; so I talk to her, but without her being there. Unfortunately, I never really have the balls to do the full performance to the intended person. But it's very cathartic.

I did something similar when I had a horrible job and an even worse manager. In those imaginary conversations, while dreading another day of work, I would be allowed to speak (normally very rare) and she would be forced to listen (normally unheard of). So, I could tell her what a complete goddamned waste of space and oxygen she is, get it out of my system, and make it through another day without actually saying that.

As you say, it's very cathartic.

by Anonymousreply 32July 21, 2019 3:38 PM

I talk to myself, my dogs, my dead loved ones. I also do dance routines and act out scenes from movies.

by Anonymousreply 33July 21, 2019 3:45 PM

I talk to myself even though I’m not always alone. I mean I only do it when I’m alone of course. Because it’s weird. 😄 But yes I think modern humans are more isolated than when we first evolved. We developed as we did to be vocal and talking is just part of what we are.

by Anonymousreply 34July 21, 2019 3:56 PM

I talk to the trees, but they don't listen. Damn them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 21, 2019 4:03 PM

I spend most of my time alone and verbalize my thoughts a lot. I’ve been caught a couple of times in public but I don’t care. I like my own company.

by Anonymousreply 36July 21, 2019 4:04 PM

I have a bad habit of talking to myself when I'm deep in thought. I'll argue the pros and cons of something to myself to make a decision. I got this habit from my mother, who is a bad as I am.

by Anonymousreply 37July 21, 2019 4:16 PM

[quote]Great pic, OP. Guys in deep thought are hot.

His thoughts: "...What am I going to put in my smoothie today? ...What about my protein shake? ...What about that person who isn't looking at me? *static* ...What about my protein shake? ...What should I wear after this? ...What am I going to put in my smoothie today? ...I should finish my set."

by Anonymousreply 38July 21, 2019 4:27 PM

R38 tbh when they look like he does, the thoughts are irrelevant (and best kept unspoken)

by Anonymousreply 39July 21, 2019 5:38 PM

I've been talking to myself since I was a kid.

This thread makes me feel a little less crazy.

by Anonymousreply 40July 21, 2019 5:40 PM

I talk to my bottle

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41July 22, 2019 3:17 AM

Thinking ... about the peen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42July 22, 2019 3:43 AM

Every morning, I look into the toilet bowl and say a la Bette Davis "WHAT! A DUMPUH!"

by Anonymousreply 43July 22, 2019 7:35 PM

I do it all the time in the car. I sometimes wonder what other people must think if they look over at me on the interstate. Maybe they just think I'm on the phone.

by Anonymousreply 44July 22, 2019 8:55 PM

Because I watched the goddamn creepy CATS! trailer, I can't stop singing "Memory!" but I do it in an obnoxious posho British accent. My cat hates it.

by Anonymousreply 45July 22, 2019 9:21 PM

Same here, R44. I'm like John C Reilly's character in Magnolia.

by Anonymousreply 46July 22, 2019 9:59 PM

Yes, and I sing as well because it puts me in a good mood, but it's something no one needs to hear.

by Anonymousreply 47July 22, 2019 10:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!