Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Budget Travel Tips

What are yours?

by Anonymousreply 33July 23, 2019 4:42 PM

Thread by request.

by Anonymousreply 1July 20, 2019 10:38 PM

Stay home.

by Anonymousreply 2July 20, 2019 10:38 PM

War zones.

by Anonymousreply 3July 20, 2019 10:41 PM

It’s cheap for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 4July 20, 2019 10:43 PM

Visit places only within walking distance from your house.

by Anonymousreply 5July 20, 2019 10:55 PM

There's nothing wrong with fancy vacations, and some prefer to be pampered and plop down on a beach in a 4 star atmosphere. I do not. World travel and immersing yourself into other cultures is a hobby. Folks that think world travel is only for the wealthy are wrong. It can be done on a budget that includes great food, education, meeting amazing people, and of course nightlife. Traveling is part of who I am.

by Anonymousreply 6July 20, 2019 11:00 PM

Book on Hotwire. It is an mystery hotel but I can usually figure out which one it is.

by Anonymousreply 7July 20, 2019 11:03 PM

Have you ever been to you R6?

by Anonymousreply 8July 20, 2019 11:17 PM

Travel off-season if you don’t mind rain everyday. I went to Ireland and Italy on different trips in Spring and except for a couple days while in Italy it rained most of the time.

by Anonymousreply 9July 21, 2019 12:01 AM

Ask your driver or bartender where they eat. Also, I love going to the local grocery store to pick up beer, water, and interesting snacks. You see some cool stuff. For instance the milk in Israel is sold in bags.

by Anonymousreply 10July 21, 2019 12:37 AM

Another vote for offseason. How April is considered offseason in the Caribbean is beyond me when im freezing my ass off in Boston.

by Anonymousreply 11July 21, 2019 7:53 AM

Me too R6. I travel to Europe twice a year and start planning way in advance, so I'm always thinking about it. For the first time I did an airbnb share, and saved so much money. I am starting to take trains to visit smaller cities, and buying in advance saves a lot too.

by Anonymousreply 12July 22, 2019 2:28 AM

R7 - how do you know Hotwire hotel? I hate the idea that I could be in a totally different location and hotel than I want - so never use an “unknown” discount service.

by Anonymousreply 13July 22, 2019 2:59 AM

So many variables. Do you plan on getting laid? Do you have an agenda or are you waddling about looking at the things?

by Anonymousreply 14July 22, 2019 3:26 AM

R13 Hotwire will show you an approximate of where the hotel is, letting you choose what location you're looking for. Additionally, now they have a thing where they list 4 hotels and "Guarantee" the one you're booking will be in one of those four.

by Anonymousreply 15July 22, 2019 3:39 AM

Cheap pensions/hostels/hotels

Eat/drink away of tourist areas with the locals

Walk around (it's the only way to truly discover a new place)

Train/bus travel provide unique adventures. Like travelling by bus from Rome to Siena in July. 37C temp and NO A/C on the bus.

Stay off the beaten path and away from popular tourist areas. For example, instead of Paris, choose Lyon, Arles, Aix en Provence, Bordeaux, Rennes.

Buy food/drink at local stores and outdoor markets.

by Anonymousreply 16July 22, 2019 3:54 AM

Thanks R15. I guess it depends on city - where I used it there were tons of hotels within a few blocks so it wasn’t helpful. But the naming four is helpful.

by Anonymousreply 17July 22, 2019 3:58 AM

Travel off-season.

If I'm going to a museum, I research the floor plan so I can zero in on what I want to see. I don't want to spend too much time trying to look at everything. Budget because if you can only afford to stay so many days somewhere, it helps to not waste time.

I like to go to local stores for snacks, drinks, etc. Plus, it's just interesting to see what's available, what people buy on a regular basis.

by Anonymousreply 18July 22, 2019 4:18 AM

Aren’t all stores local?

by Anonymousreply 19July 22, 2019 4:24 AM

I travel first class and stay at nice hotels my budget tip is as stated upthread, walk around go to local grocery stores bring food back to your room get a feel of the city by walking. Avoid hotel restaurants. Pack light nobody cares if you wear the same outfits over and over because you’re able to hand wash.

by Anonymousreply 20July 22, 2019 4:32 AM

Be adventurous and don't go to primary tourist destinations. One year, we rented a car and drove the coast of Croatia and another through the jungles of Ecuador. Best vacations of our lives even though all of our friends kept asking "Why are you going to _______?" Every place has something to see and experience if you're open to it.

by Anonymousreply 21July 22, 2019 5:00 AM

Traveling solo is more expensive, in general. If you have a small group of friends, you can rent an apartment or home and share the costs, make your own breakfasts and dinners sometimes, and you'll save money.

Focus on experiences and not things. When I travel, I might pick up one single vintage item at a flea market or something like that as a souvenir, but I don't buy anything else.

by Anonymousreply 22July 22, 2019 12:40 PM

No tell motels.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 22, 2019 12:46 PM

Book ten Easyjet flights to the Med as soon as they're released. Gatwick-Ibiza or Mykonos for £80 return! You've got to love that.

by Anonymousreply 24July 22, 2019 12:53 PM

Another vote for off season. I enjoy finding cheap flights and will plan trips around them. Love Kayak. I’ll find the cheapest flights to Europe (Norwegian Air is great), and then find the cheapest Ryan Air or EasyJet flights to more interesting locations. Trains and busses work too, but flights are usually cheaper. It is important to also consider travel from the airport to your destination. I enjoy this process, unless I am going to the beach, I’m not partial to vacations where I just stay at one hotel. I like to cram as much as possible into my trips.

I also pack very light. Not specifically a cost saving measure, but it gives me more freedom and helps to avoid unanticipated cab rides or just being stuck babysitting luggage. Just a roller that meets the strictest European carry on standards and one small auxiliary bag for items I want to access during a flight (because a suitcase is hard to open during a flight). It lets you take public transportation more easily and makes the actual travel components of travel more pleasant. You don’t have a lot of crap to pack and unpack in every hotel room and you don’t look like a fat Disney World vacationer covered in Cheetos dust and cheap sunscreen dragging three suitcases full of “child supplies” and snacks through the airport. So my expensive luxury when I travel is hotel laundry. It isn’t THAT expensive and it allows me to be so much more flexible and “light on my feet.”

For hotels I just read through the reviews of the cheaper (for my dates) four and five stars on hotels.com or an equivalent site.

by Anonymousreply 25July 22, 2019 1:13 PM

Food advice R25. The intro Europe flights are insanely cheap - but they key is having a certifiable “carry on” according to their strict standards. I’m surprised a roller bag works. I have a specific back pack that is the exact Ryan Air/Easyjet standard that is perfect. Also agree with Norwegian Air as best trans-Atlantic - at least from NYC.

Also do Airbnb rather than hotel unless you book super early (which I hate as you never know when better deals come along).

by Anonymousreply 26July 22, 2019 2:26 PM

AIrbnbing is a good option but it really depends on what the destination is. In some cities it makes no sense to use Airbnb because after all of the taxes, cleaning fees, etc., you're better off booking at a 3-star hotel, which at least gives you points and some guarantee.

R26, I'm curious what your carry on is? Care to share?

by Anonymousreply 27July 22, 2019 2:31 PM

R26, R25 here. My roller is a common brand, but I was very careful to make sure it is small enough for all the European budget carriers. It definitely qualifies and it fits in all the test boxes. Unless that has changed VERY recently. I know they reduced the sizes about five years ago.

Norwegian Air also flies out of Stewart. Probably not of interest to anyone in NYC, But if you are in Westchester or upstate NY, it’s fantastic. You park about 200 yards from your gate in a giant lot with lots of empty spaces and parking is something like $5 / day.

by Anonymousreply 28July 22, 2019 2:36 PM

R27 - it’s a North Face Refractor bag. Got it at Patagonia in NY. I like backpacks instead of rollers. As long as it not too big, it’s so much easier to throw it on your back and you can move fast and quickly. I find rollers to be a pain - especially as a taller person.

I think Norwegian at Stewart only goes to Ireland. Amsterdam, Paris and London are JFK. And having done Stewart from NYC, it’s a pain in the ass. $25 bus from Port Authority - which only runs sporadically and occasionally sells out so I’ve seen people stranded at PA because bus was full and the next one was too late for flight. And landing there after 8+ hours flying and having another 1.5 hour+ bus ride is not fun.

While not a “budget” tip for most, what I love about Norwegian is you can get a “first class” flight for the same price as economy on other airlines (except for Ireland where they don’t have a first class for some reason - I guess they think we’re too cheap). As a semi-eldergay who is 6’3” , it is the best thing to happen to trans Atlantic flights in years. Not luxurious, lie-flat seats - more old school first class - but worth every penny.

by Anonymousreply 29July 22, 2019 3:11 PM

If you are in the USA research the price of the airline ticket from major hubs. I just found a round trip ticket to Paris from LAX for $450. From Phoenix the ticket would be over a grand, I always either buy another ticket from Phoenix to LAX or take the bus. The savings goes to pay for all of my hotel expenses in Europe while I am there.

by Anonymousreply 30July 22, 2019 4:56 PM

Use a flight tracker that predicts when to buy your plane tickets. They're right more often than not.

by Anonymousreply 31July 22, 2019 9:46 PM

Poors

by Anonymousreply 32July 22, 2019 10:55 PM

Any recommendation for a backpack with a roller that can be carry on in any airlines?

by Anonymousreply 33July 23, 2019 4:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!