Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I started working from home this summer

Holy shit. It gets lonely.

I named a chipmunk Nino.

He comes right up to me. I feed him birdseed.

And I shout out at 5 pm in my best Brooklynese:

"NINO!!! DINNAH!!!!!"

The poor thing has had half his ear ripped off this summer and 1/4 of his tail!!!!

He's a scrappy Italian chipmunk, and I love him!!!

by Anonymousreply 23July 23, 2019 12:27 AM

OP types fat-pending.

by Anonymousreply 1July 20, 2019 9:14 PM

Chipmunks eat birds.

by Anonymousreply 2July 20, 2019 9:17 PM

Please start a Youtube channel called "Nino's Adventures". I will watch it when I get bored with Forensic Files.

by Anonymousreply 3July 20, 2019 9:19 PM

I just ran over a chipmunk with my car. The damn thing darted out right in front of me. I just named him NoMo.

by Anonymousreply 4July 20, 2019 9:20 PM

Make sure Chip or Dale has access to water!

by Anonymousreply 5July 20, 2019 9:24 PM

Is this the new I want to be underwhelmed thread OP?

by Anonymousreply 6July 20, 2019 9:36 PM

Is this the new I want to be underwhelmed thread OP?

by Anonymousreply 7July 20, 2019 9:36 PM

Nino is so CUTE!!! he's a fighter!!!

Does he really need a bowl of water???

It is 105 degrees in New England today and he seemed as cool as a cucumber.

I have yard bunnies too. They are pussies. But I love them too.

One of them is getting very comfortable and stretches his legs out and lounges until dusk.

And I just saw R7, Yes, my life is underwhelming but I am working on it.

by Anonymousreply 8July 20, 2019 9:37 PM

I think you're awesome, OP. I just got home from helping the animal rescue group I work with. We rescued a horse from an unbelievable asshole who wasn't feeding it properly or taking care of its medical needs. The horse's hooves were badly overgrown and the ferrier said he'd only seen a few worse in his career. I guage people by how well they treat animals and no matter what anyone says I think you're great.

by Anonymousreply 9July 20, 2019 9:51 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 20, 2019 10:15 PM

I also work from home, OP, and have a two pet squirrels; Linda and Randy. Randy just showed up last week and is missing 1/3 of his tail - freaky.

by Anonymousreply 11July 20, 2019 10:16 PM

My yard has resident squirrels and chipmunks, and visiting bunnies. The rodents eat the seeds that fall from my bird feeder. The bunnies eat my orange marigolds. They leave the yellow ones.

by Anonymousreply 12July 20, 2019 10:18 PM

Thanks R9!!! I am so glad about that horse!!!

I know where Nino's Squirrel Hole is for the winter- he has two entrances. That sounds dirty.

I won't be living there next summer and I will miss him.

I have deer, fawn, everything.

The best things in life may indeed be free.

Nature is in complete harmony with itself. NO resistance. Its pretty beautiful.

And catbirds and downy woodpeckers are the kindest birds to each other and everything else.

by Anonymousreply 13July 20, 2019 10:20 PM

^there’s also a feral cat that stops by. He tries to eat everyone else. Someone gets a mourning dove every now and then. Not sure if it’s the cat or a bird of prey or the fox that shows up rarely.

by Anonymousreply 14July 20, 2019 10:20 PM

I keep a large ceramic plant pot saucer filled with fresh water on a low stone wall in my backyard. Usually get lots of birds taking a sip or sometimes a bath, but today it was ~95F, and one of the chipmunks was out there enjoying a cool drink🚰 🐿

by Anonymousreply 15July 20, 2019 10:34 PM

OH MY GOD!!! R15. Nino must be parched. I feel like a straight up cunt!

by Anonymousreply 16July 20, 2019 10:38 PM

It’s not good policy to feed wild animals. Yes, they love hand-outs. But they become less able to forage in the wild. And they often become insufferably aggressive to humans. In the end it’s not helpful to their survival. (The road to hell is paved with good intentions.)

I’m on the fence about feeding the poor, starving third world children. They’ll only go on to overpopulate so that down the road, there will be many more starving children—like the feral cat problem. Whatever you do to help may have unintended consequences that may be worse in the long run.

by Anonymousreply 17July 20, 2019 11:56 PM

r17, were you an economics major?

by Anonymousreply 18July 21, 2019 1:20 AM

[quote]But they become less able to forage in the wild. And they often become insufferably aggressive to humans.

Yes and no, they don't really lose the ability to forage, they just become lazy. You are very right about them becoming aggressive to people though.

by Anonymousreply 19July 21, 2019 2:13 AM

Here's to hoping that R17 comes back in his next life as a LEGIT Darfur Orphan.

by Anonymousreply 20July 21, 2019 5:41 AM

I have a possum that I named Penelope, I give her my cats leftover canned food

by Anonymousreply 21July 21, 2019 5:59 AM

^^^your cat leaves leftovers?

by Anonymousreply 22July 21, 2019 6:24 PM

R22 she has a small stomach

by Anonymousreply 23July 23, 2019 12:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!