Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Happy 50th, Apollo 11 moon landing!

Which astronaut tickled your ass-tro-nuts?

Neil Armstrong? Michael Collins? Buzz Aldrin?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79August 3, 2019 9:40 PM

Fake News!

by Anonymousreply 1July 20, 2019 6:53 PM

There's apparently all these people who claim the moon-landing never happened. Do they really think all the thousands of people directly involved in the moon landing project would be able to keep their mouths shut if it were fake? Why do people want to deny their amazing achievement? Seems so churlish, as well as stupid.

by Anonymousreply 2July 20, 2019 6:55 PM

There weren't "thousands" involved.

Fake News!

by Anonymousreply 3July 20, 2019 6:56 PM

That Mitchell and Webb Look - Moon Landing Sketch

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 20, 2019 7:01 PM

As for the hottest among the Apollo 11, Neil Armstrong definitely had an attractive dorkiness about him

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 20, 2019 7:04 PM

r3, of course there were thousands involved. Each Nasa executive had a secretary, for example. Both the executive and the secretary would have families who knew. As would every engineer, every scientist, every construction-worker. Even if the people directly working on the project was a couple of hundred, their staff and families bring those who knew about the project as it was being done was easily a thousand or two thousand.

by Anonymousreply 6July 20, 2019 7:06 PM

Michael Collins daughter was Kate Collins, an actress on All My Children. She played Natalie twice and then, later on, Janet Green.

by Anonymousreply 7July 20, 2019 7:12 PM

50 years ago, I was 12 years old. These three guys were everywhere you looked and I thought they were all sex bombs. Neil Armstrong was the blandest and the cutest and, therefore, was the most approachable sexually for a 12 year old. He won my heart and a central role in all my pre-adolescent sex fantasies.

by Anonymousreply 8July 20, 2019 7:17 PM

Buzz had BDF!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 20, 2019 7:18 PM

The moon belongs to everyone

The best things in life they’re free

The stars belong to everyone

They cling there for you and for me

by Anonymousreply 10July 20, 2019 7:19 PM

[quote]There's apparently all these people who claim the moon-landing never happened.

Americans love conspiracy theories, no matter how flimsy and illogical.

by Anonymousreply 11July 20, 2019 7:23 PM

R3 - While you’re obviously joking I was surprised to read today that 400,000 people worked directly on the Apollo project in one capacity or another. Along with D-Day It truly was one of our Country’s most awe inspiring achievements. Too bad we peaked 50 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 12July 20, 2019 7:25 PM

I remember watching the moon landing. I was 14 years old. My family and I were on vacation at Cape Cod. Everyone was watching. It was thrilling. I remember vividly to this day.

by Anonymousreply 13July 20, 2019 7:28 PM

I was 5, and had the biggest crush on Neil Armstrong; I even named my grey longhaired tabby cat after him (my red tabby was Bobby [Kennedy]).

My middle sister liked Michael Collins, while my oldest sister was obsessed with Wally Schirra, go figure. In our World Book Encyclopedia entry on Astronauts, Schirra's face is completely obliterated by wet kisses. Yuck.

by Anonymousreply 14July 20, 2019 7:35 PM

One of the few things on which my South Carolina grandma and my Louisiana grandma agreed was their belief the moon landing was faked somewhere in the Arizona, NM, or Nevada desert.

The other thing was South Louisiana was Hell on Earth because of the pre-EPA petrochemical plants and their constant flares.

by Anonymousreply 15July 20, 2019 7:40 PM

Well, a lot of people believe the earth is 6,000 years mold, too. Stupid is contagious.

by Anonymousreply 16July 20, 2019 8:12 PM

Oops; old, not exactly mold. Although your grandmothers brains may have been full of both.

by Anonymousreply 17July 20, 2019 8:13 PM

R15 And I guess the moon rocks, dust, minerals brought back are fake too, as is the ability to see the flags and astronaut footsteps left on the moon.

by Anonymousreply 18July 20, 2019 8:30 PM

Why can't we recreate going to the moon?

NASA says we can't get past the radiation belts now that were easily gone through 50 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 19July 20, 2019 8:39 PM

Link, r19?

by Anonymousreply 20July 20, 2019 8:43 PM

[quote]Why did a NASA engineer admit that they can't get past the Van Allen radiation belts? Isn’t this the smoking gun of a cover-up?

[quote]In a way yes it is. When asked about the Apollo missions years after they took place NASA told the world that they were able to go through the belts with technology that they destroyed after the last moon mission. When asked if they can just build another one they responded “it takes a long time to figure these things out.” Billions of tax dollars went towards this and they destroyed it without keeping blueprints? 1st red flag. Also, when the freedom of information act was passed NASA was asked for the original tapes from the moon landing. They admitted that when they were budgeting money, they wanted to save some on magnetic film strips and they accidently taped over the greatest achievement of mankind.....the only copy. A space shuttle in the 90s was able to make it 500 miles BELOW the belts before they had radiation flashes in their vision, even with eyes closed. This shuttle was shielded as well. The Apollo missions were not. Ultimately, the choice is based on your own logic. If you haven't done so yet, watch the first russian spacewalk and the first american spacewalk. Do they look real to you? Or like shitty 60s era stop frame animation?

Muriel is blocking links left and right now.

by Anonymousreply 21July 20, 2019 8:55 PM

My Dad went to high school with Buzz.

by Anonymousreply 22July 20, 2019 8:56 PM

They had to fill out a customs report when they landed. They claimed moon rock. Departure from moon. All three signed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 20, 2019 9:03 PM

Buzz Aldrin (stars and stripes tie) and Michael Collins in the Oval with Trump yesterday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 20, 2019 9:09 PM

My aunt went to high school with Michael Collins, who was part of the first team of men on the moon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25July 20, 2019 9:16 PM

NA was a hot piece of ass

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 20, 2019 9:19 PM

If you think about it, it’s pretty impressive that they could televise that first moonwalk live given how primitive technology was in the late 60s. The first telecommunications satellite wasn’t launched until 1962 and they barely had computers back then either.

by Anonymousreply 27July 20, 2019 9:38 PM

Buzz shoulda punched Hair Furor!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 20, 2019 9:41 PM

The live televised feed on 7/20/1969 was quite crappy. But the filmed images that they brought back and are part of the Apollo 11 documentary are stunning.

by Anonymousreply 29July 20, 2019 9:42 PM

Yeah it was crappy, R29 - but it was live. From the moon.

by Anonymousreply 30July 20, 2019 9:47 PM

I always was kinda partial to Robinson Crusoe on Mars....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 20, 2019 9:53 PM

But seriously, of the 12 men who actually walked on the Moon, John Young was quite the looker in his heyday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 20, 2019 9:55 PM

To me this image of the earth from the Apollo 8 mission in Dec. 1968 is much more arresting than anything from Apollo 11.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 20, 2019 9:56 PM

Yes, John Young; DILF!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 20, 2019 10:02 PM

Oh, they were ALL notorious pussy hounds.

by Anonymousreply 35July 20, 2019 11:16 PM

Billy Bragg, The Space Race Is Over. Unofficial video to Billy's great nostalgic song, with some very poignant images.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36July 20, 2019 11:40 PM

Charlie Duke. Impish cutie pie who flew on Apollo16. He was the youngest to walk on the moon but his voice is the more famous aspect of him as he was Capcom when the Eagle landed. That’s him saying, “Roger, Tranquility. We copy you on the ground. You got a bunch of guys about to turn blue. We're breathing again. Thanks a lot.“

by Anonymousreply 37July 20, 2019 11:56 PM

R35 are you joking or serious? Any more deets?

by Anonymousreply 38July 21, 2019 12:08 AM

tl;dw in1969, they did not have the technology to fake the moon landing, and they did have the technology to go to the moon.

As far as the radiation is concerned, they got lucky. They could have been fried, but were not.

We lost two shuttle crews on live TV. There was at least one other crew that died. I think it was a Mercury crew.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 21, 2019 12:17 AM

One of man’s greatest accomplishments.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 21, 2019 12:40 AM

R31 if you knew how many times I jerked off to that movie....

by Anonymousreply 41July 21, 2019 1:08 AM

[quote]There was at least one other crew that died. I think it was a Mercury crew.

That was the crew of Apollo 1, in 1967. They were doing a dry run of the launch when a fire broke out in the cockpit and all 3 men were burned alive. Gus Grissom, Ed White and Roger Chaffee. NASA claimed they died instantly but that’s not true. There’s a recording of them saying “Hey, there’s a fire in the cockpit” followed a few seconds later shouting “We got a real big fire in the cockpit” and “Help us” then screaming “HELP US!”

The cockpit door was designed to open inward but the gases from the fire made it impossible for them to open it. They were trapped.

by Anonymousreply 42July 21, 2019 1:55 AM

My mom went to high school with Roger Chaffee and I went to grade school with his children

by Anonymousreply 43July 21, 2019 2:35 AM

The three who died, Ed White in the middle was a total hottie with BDF.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44July 21, 2019 3:10 AM

This is an NPR story on an awful Soviet space flight:

[quote]Cosmonaut Crashed Into Earth 'Crying In Rage'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45July 21, 2019 3:37 AM

R44 Ed White’s wife committed suicide several years after this happened.

by Anonymousreply 46July 21, 2019 3:42 AM

Neil Armstrong was from Wapakoneta, Ohio. He ended up teaching at the University of Cincinnati. By all accounts, he was very professional, dedicated, but private and reserved. His students spoke highly of him.

Thanks, OP.

by Anonymousreply 47July 21, 2019 3:56 AM

CBS Sunday Morning had a segment about the making of the spacesuits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48July 21, 2019 3:57 AM

R46 Buzz Aldrin’s mother also committed suicide after the moon landing.

by Anonymousreply 49July 21, 2019 4:04 AM

R45 Jesus. Why would they have an open casket?

by Anonymousreply 50July 21, 2019 4:18 AM

Sorry, but Ed White was not all that hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51July 21, 2019 12:00 PM

Roger Chaffee was the one who had it really going on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52July 21, 2019 12:01 PM

Roger Chaffee has matinee idol looks.

by Anonymousreply 53July 21, 2019 12:50 PM

R50 the story I've been told is that Kamarov knew the technology/equipment of the space capsule was faulty, and so he realized that he was being made to take on what was essentially a suicide mission. He arranged an open casket funeral for himself so that the people who put him on the spacecraft would be forced to look at what they did to him

by Anonymousreply 54July 21, 2019 1:24 PM

R49 - and her maiden name was Marion Moon! You could not make it up.

by Anonymousreply 55July 21, 2019 1:25 PM

It's a little weird that cutie Neil Armstrong was married to a dowdy, plain Frau who looked like she could be his mother. They ended up divorcing after nearly 40 years of marriage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56July 21, 2019 1:43 PM

The Americans were great, but you’ve got to admit Yuri Gagarin had a certain Datalounge je ne sais quoi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57July 21, 2019 1:46 PM

Je ne sais quoi?

I think it's fairly clear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58July 21, 2019 1:49 PM

How could we forget Gus Grissom (left) ?! Major BDF, here with Ed White(center) and Roger Chafee.

All killed in the Apollo 1 fire on January 27, 1967. Sad and too often forgotten space studs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59July 21, 2019 4:53 PM

[quote] R50: [R45] Jesus. Why would they have an open casket?

That’s often asked for by the family to shame the politicians or public. But I don’t know in this case.

by Anonymousreply 60July 21, 2019 5:35 PM

[quote][R15] And I guess the moon rocks, dust, minerals brought back are fake too, as is the ability to see the flags and astronaut footsteps left on the moon.

R17, my grandmothers were born in 1902 and 1889, respectively. Grandma 1889 was the daughter of slaves, and was whipped by the lady of the plantation house for reading on the job. Grandma 1902's big brother was lynched, and her family terrorized by the KKK.

So please forgive them for not being up on the latest scientific advances.

by Anonymousreply 61July 21, 2019 5:38 PM

The astronauts left mirrors on the moon. We still direct lasers at them. The time it takes to hit them and reflect back tells us the moon is moving away from us about an inch a year, IIRC. So, it’s willful ignorance for this and other reasons to think the landing was faked.

Oh, the USSR would have loved to expose a fake USA landing.

by Anonymousreply 62July 21, 2019 5:44 PM

Buzz Aldrin's mother killed herself in 1968, a year before the mission, after she learned her son was chosen to be one of the first on the moon. She felt she wouldn’t be able handle all of the attention her son would receive.

by Anonymousreply 63July 21, 2019 5:44 PM

Buzz Aldrin sank into a deep depression after returning from that Apollo 11 mission (it ran in his family, both his mother and grandfather committed suicide) and began drinking heavily. He became broke and resorted to working at a car dealership for awhile. He went to Rehab and eventually cleaned up after joining AA. He married his third wife in 1988 after his final stint in rehab but they divorced after he discovered she was stealing his money.

He’s single now and is about to turn 90 years old. His adult children went to court trying to get him declared mentally incompetent last year - he sued them right back. He drives a red sports car and wears a lot of jewelry and goes through close to $70,000/month according to the children.

He’s a war hero, a jet fighter pilot and a M.I.T. rocket scientist (has a Ph.D in aeronautics) besides being an astronaut. He hasn’t had a drink in more than 30 years. An interesting and colorful guy.

by Anonymousreply 64July 21, 2019 6:17 PM

R64 article

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65July 21, 2019 6:35 PM

(R50) It's referenced a little bit in the article that you linked but the story was that Komarov was protective of Gagarin and thought of him as a little brother. Gagarin was his back-up and he knew that if he refused the mission it would be Gagarin who would instead be sent on the suicide mission. Apparently amateur radio buffs picked up Komarov berating and swearing at Russian ground control on his descent when it became clear that his parachute (and back-up) were not deploying properly and he was going to die on impact. Awful story but it outlines the risks and bravery of these men who willingly put themselves in harm's way to advance exploration. That makes these stories of 'moon hoaxes' a little more hard to take.

by Anonymousreply 66July 21, 2019 6:58 PM

R66, I did read the article before I posted but I didn't see anything about why they would have had an open casket although R54 answered it for me.

by Anonymousreply 67July 21, 2019 7:29 PM

"In my post, the grisly picture of the molten remains in the coffin, appear to be part of public funeral. As James Oberg points out, the photograph records a private ceremony: the men looking at the casket in a morgue, he says, are members of the Soviet space elite." Following other links it appears the story might not be what it seems

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68July 21, 2019 7:38 PM

Fifty years ago, wow. I remember the day well. I had a bad acid trip that weekend. My friends dropped me off at my mother's house. She was all dressed up to go to the party celebrating the moon landing because her husband (my stepfather) was part of the team that built the LEM out at Grumman on Long Island. She dropped me off at my hippie father's house instead and he and I ended up watching it together on TV while I came down from the acid. It's hard to believe that Kennedy said in '61 that we would go to the moon within a decade . . . and we did it. Amazing.

by Anonymousreply 69July 21, 2019 7:42 PM

I just watched Michael Collines (he's 88) give a lengthy interview on PBS. He is incredibly humble, funny and apparently a Democrat. Really good interview.

by Anonymousreply 70July 21, 2019 9:23 PM

R70 It really is amazing that some of these are still alive.

by Anonymousreply 71July 21, 2019 9:30 PM

Chuck Yeager, the first test pilot the preceded all the astronauts, are survived against all odds, is still alive at 96.

by Anonymousreply 72July 22, 2019 11:03 AM

R58 Yuri was cute in the face but sadly he was a midget (5'2").

by Anonymousreply 73July 22, 2019 1:37 PM

I remember being thrilled to get an Apollo 11 model that was about 3 foot tall. I was age 10 and it took me about 3 weekends to complete it. Later on I added on the lunar module. I was proud went they were both done and I had them displayed on a shelf in my bedroom for several years.

by Anonymousreply 74July 28, 2019 5:13 PM

I still have my G.I. Joe Apollo capsule and astronaut Joe!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75July 30, 2019 7:02 AM

It's striking to think that 50 years before the moon landing, the year 1919, the great achievement was the end of World War I.

by Anonymousreply 76July 30, 2019 7:35 AM

R76, and it's striking to think we are as far today from 1969 as the people of 1969 (including pre-teen me!) were from 1919.

by Anonymousreply 77July 30, 2019 8:20 AM

And its striking to think how primitive laptops were in the year I was born and that you had to DIAL up an internet connection.

by Anonymousreply 78July 30, 2019 9:30 AM

With a pencil, R78.

by Anonymousreply 79August 3, 2019 9:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!