Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is this non-binary stuff the future?

Or just a fad?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 22, 2019 4:28 PM

It's a fad. Just like suicide clusters.

by Anonymousreply 1July 20, 2019 4:51 PM

It's dumb. You're either a man with a penis or a woman with a vagina, it's biological. Just be yourself and don't worry about the gender roles associated with your sex.

by Anonymousreply 2July 20, 2019 4:54 PM

That's a boy.

by Anonymousreply 3July 20, 2019 4:55 PM

It's a fad by bored self-absorbed gay or "bi" guys who want attention and don't want to be anything so common as "gay". They're peacocks. I really wish they could all be deported to a third world country where they have bigger problems than the "struggle for acceptance" because they think wearing lipstick and dresses is a good way to stand out and at the same time, claim victim and intersectionality points.

by Anonymousreply 4July 20, 2019 4:56 PM

They are Gender Tourists and not in it for the long haul.

by Anonymousreply 5July 20, 2019 5:03 PM

Fake and straight.

by Anonymousreply 6July 20, 2019 5:14 PM

It's a fad that needs to die in a fucking grease fire.

These people can't accept reality, life is too tough for them, poor things are exhausted by all that oppression. So "they" prefer to live in their little fantasy world so "they" can feel special in it, like mommy said when "they" were five.

Generation of sissies.

by Anonymousreply 7July 20, 2019 5:16 PM

You reject the binary only by believing in it.

by Anonymousreply 8July 20, 2019 5:18 PM

It's just the new way for the current young people to confuse and anger the older people around them. Some little part of it will remain in the culture, and that's good for those who need it, and the rest will fade away like hula hoops and pet rocks.

by Anonymousreply 9July 20, 2019 5:27 PM

All the binary shit will disperse once they hit adulthood and the get married with the opposite sex and spew out their spawn and become rabid homophobic republicans, happened with the hippies and their free live bullshit, it'll happen with them.

by Anonymousreply 10July 20, 2019 5:33 PM

*Free love

by Anonymousreply 11July 20, 2019 5:34 PM

R10 Is that Nico Tortorella's future?

by Anonymousreply 12July 20, 2019 5:36 PM

I don’t judge because I can’t imagine ever feeling this way. Why would anyone choose to? Have this many people been this alienated from their sex throughout history...that is crazy to contemplate. Just glad it’s not my struggle.

by Anonymousreply 13July 20, 2019 5:36 PM

[quote]Why would anyone choose to?

Attention.

by Anonymousreply 14July 20, 2019 5:37 PM

Man buns! Man buns started this shit.

by Anonymousreply 15July 20, 2019 5:42 PM

Yes! Fastened into place with a pair of smart chopsticks. Absolutely!

by Anonymousreply 16July 20, 2019 6:47 PM

R13 because the truth is that most people are boring, average and unremarkable, that’s why. What is a person desperate for attention to do when they don’t possess talent, creativity, imagination, a sense of humor or super intelligence?? Whatever works, I guess - usually glom on to whatever is happening in the zeitgeist since they have no original ideas of their own.

by Anonymousreply 17July 20, 2019 7:02 PM

Somebody's sending me flowers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 20, 2019 7:09 PM

Why didn't they interview me? I have a book out!

by Anonymousreply 19July 20, 2019 7:12 PM

As a gay man it has the strange effect of making me feel more masculine. All my life I've looked like a lesbian, and I have a high tenor voice. But next to people with beards + breasts or FTMs- I'm a stud!

by Anonymousreply 20July 22, 2019 2:39 PM

One can only hope it's just a fad. It's so annoying and confusing.

by Anonymousreply 21July 22, 2019 3:15 PM

As its often expressed? Fad.

As a principle that can grow in popularity? Future.

I do 'look forward' to their internal resistance (I'm Millennial and already starting to see this) crumble away as they marry the opposite sex, revert to gendered stereotypes, and follow gendered expectations, but I think the sticking power is in the simple message of 'you don't have to be X', which others will successfully and more naturally internalize and more casually encourage. Some feel truly freer being non-binary like indeed the poster earlier brought up the hippies, but I (sadly to be honest) expect a large section to get hugely conservative about future progressive trends and not see the irony, like what happened with so many hippies.

One thing going on, imo, with Gen Y-Z is that 'self-serious' matters. Progressive activists are self-serious. And Gen Z teens and their angst are self-serious about it all. This can be often fine, and it encourages at least trying to be an authentic human, but I also imagine that decades down the line it'll create generational standards that are simply serious and ironically conservative in the face of the huge leaps in technology, politics, and culture further down this century. I anticipate my few non-binary friends to get awfully reactionary on average, except for the dedicated weirdos (with love; each of those are actually so kind).

by Anonymousreply 22July 22, 2019 4:15 PM

And a very USian fad. Not seen so much in other parts of the world.

by Anonymousreply 23July 22, 2019 4:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!