Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Graydon Carter on Vanity Fair, Jeffrey Epstein and an editor’s power.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 24, 2019 5:11 PM

He comes off as such a prick, because, well- he is. Pompous, imperious, prep school mean man.

by Anonymousreply 1July 19, 2019 5:21 PM

He’s an ass.

by Anonymousreply 2July 21, 2019 5:29 PM

I like him better than trump.

by Anonymousreply 3July 21, 2019 6:15 PM

Carter's [italic]Spy[/italic] magazine poked (it was [italic]Spy[/italic] that coined the "short-fingered vulgarian" nickname) and was a thorn in Donald Trump's side for years, so he gets some credit for that. And [italic]Vanity Fair[/italic] was well researched and written magazine. I don't think it's fair to hold Carter's feet to the fire of current-day thought and practice when it comes to how they treated people of color or famous and/or powerful people some 20+ years ago; it was a different time and, like all topics, what was acceptable then is not now. It's much like portraying Hillary or Obama in a poor light because they came around on issues like marriage equality; we must remember that part of the process in making cultural change is working with various actors and power brokers to influence their thinking in the right direction; to then turn around and blame them for being too slow or not reacting harshly enough is going to make influencing people in the now and future more difficult if what they see is getting roasted (by the side that encouraged them to change) after coming around.

Which is not to say that criticism is always unwarranted, but I think we should reserve our criticism for people who have not changed and continue to uphold unfair, bigoted and racist attitudes. To wit, Donald Trump is the only president in American history to have consent decrees with the DOJ, and specifically regarding racial matters. But here we are with the squatter in the White House using racial animosity to get re-elected, and going all in on it to the point that there is no doubt about what he's doing. I mean, Trump might as well call "the Squad" (as they've named themselves) "uppity" and the picture would be so complete that even Helen Keller would agree.

This is, of course, what makes progress and progressive politics so hard. No one ever said that anything worth having was easy to acquire.

by Anonymousreply 4July 21, 2019 6:57 PM

Well, yeah of course!

by Anonymousreply 5July 21, 2019 6:57 PM

R5 meant for R3

by Anonymousreply 6July 21, 2019 6:58 PM

bitch stole my wig!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 22, 2019 3:09 AM

Graydon’s an ass licker par excellence

by Anonymousreply 8July 24, 2019 5:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!