Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

In honor of the "CATS" trailer, let's vote on the much maligned Andrew Lloyd Webber

What do you think is his best show?

by Anonymousreply 29July 21, 2019 1:21 AM

mid market dreck through and through

by Anonymousreply 1July 19, 2019 1:37 PM

Aww, some of it's quite catchy.

by Anonymousreply 2July 19, 2019 1:40 PM

I voted for Evita, but I really also like Aspects of Love. It's an underappreciated gem and it's much better than his more recent work like Whistle Down The Wind and The Beautiful Game, which are both crap.

by Anonymousreply 3July 19, 2019 2:00 PM

Normally I like the brooding grandeur of the Evita and Sunset Blvd songs.

If i'm high? Starlight Express.

by Anonymousreply 4July 19, 2019 2:11 PM

Though nobody -not even I- will vote for it, I admit a fondness for "Joseph" because damn, those songs are just so catchy.

by Anonymousreply 5July 19, 2019 2:13 PM

Evita, but only the Madonna-version.

by Anonymousreply 6July 19, 2019 2:14 PM

[quote]Though nobody -not even I- will vote for it, I admit a fondness for "Joseph" because damn, those songs are just so catchy.

It's fun that the songs are all done in different styles.

by Anonymousreply 7July 19, 2019 4:28 PM

Okay, "Evita" is brilliant and I'll always love the music from "Jesus Christ Superstar"... but fuck the snobs I LOVE "Phantom of the Opera"!

The music is cheesy and the story cliche'd, but the music is catchy and melodic and fun to sing, and the whole thing is carried along by the kind of blatantly emotional melodrama that you never see any more. It's the opposite of Sondheim-influenced too-clever stuff, it doesn't try to be clever, just satisfying.

by Anonymousreply 8July 20, 2019 6:56 AM

"JCS."

by Anonymousreply 9July 20, 2019 7:08 AM

I am sorry, but I believe Broadway musicals are a tourist trap. But a lot of gays make a living off of them.

by Anonymousreply 10July 20, 2019 7:14 AM

Since ALW stole huge quantities of his music from other composers, notably Puccini, Paganini, even Pink Floyd, we shouldn't really be evaluating his shows as being HIS music. However, I think he has a certain ability for dramatic build, and that is his talent rather than composing.

by Anonymousreply 11July 20, 2019 8:35 AM

Curious, R11. What arias / leitmotifs did he steal / borrow from Puccini?

by Anonymousreply 12July 20, 2019 8:41 AM

OP, you should have include Weber's "Love Never Dies" musical (a.k.a. Phantom of the Opera 2: Return of the Cash-cow Sequel) into your poll list.

My oh my, what a 'gem' it was. I couldn't believe that someone who produced some of the most memorable West End songs of our generation, could produce something so underwhelming. It was just so... pedestrian, like it was made for Midwestern Fraus.

To be fair, I think the plot (book) was worse than the forgettable songs - it was utter melodramatic schlock. But the book was co-written by Webber himself and Ben Elton, inter alia. So this still boils down to Webber's creatively bankrupt recent choices.

by Anonymousreply 13July 20, 2019 9:08 AM

*included

by Anonymousreply 14July 20, 2019 9:08 AM

It's really ridiculous that The Shuberts haven't renamed The Majestic Theater after him. Just between Phantom and Cats they have over 20,000 performances at Shubert houses alone. Not to mention all his other productions that play in their theaters around the country. The name The Majestic has zero historical value yet they change the names of The Plymouth and The Royale after some pencil pushing Shubert execs who never put one ass in their seats their entire lives.

by Anonymousreply 15July 20, 2019 9:12 AM

R12: this ‘Orientalist’ number from Cats is quite Puccini-esque...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 20, 2019 9:15 AM

Oh and I’m not r11.

by Anonymousreply 17July 20, 2019 9:15 AM

Hardly a secret

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 20, 2019 9:27 AM

R15, there's already a famous Shubert Theater in NYC. Maybe it's too avoid confusion. You'd be surprised how many foreign tourists can accidentally book tix for the wrong town or even country.

I recently went to a famous NYC offshoot restaurant in London. Their site was a bit confusing (and the restaurants obviously share the same franchise name), so I almost booked the NYC one in the booking app by error.

by Anonymousreply 19July 20, 2019 9:27 AM

R16, nice spot. But that duet seems more like an intentional, tongue-in-cheek, humorous pastiche on Puccini.

The dissonant, heavy intro sounds a bit like Prokofiev.

by Anonymousreply 20July 20, 2019 9:39 AM

christ

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 20, 2019 9:43 AM

Wow, I didn't think some of those songs would be that close to classic tunes.

by Anonymousreply 22July 20, 2019 10:05 AM

OP is worse than Hitler, how DARE he forget this gem

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 20, 2019 9:37 PM

I enjoy the Phantom of the Opera most.

by Anonymousreply 24July 20, 2019 9:43 PM

My vote was for Phantom as well R8. And I agree with your last statement. It's purpose is to give theater-goers an orgasm, simply there to beat you over the head again and again with spectacle, drama, craziness, and total schmaltzy-ness, and it does that so well. However, my belief is that, while ALW did write a great score (I think his best when taken as a whole work), the visuals of Phantom are what made the show so compelling and successful. M. Bjornson's costumes and sets are something from a truly inhuman artistic perspective. I want to say divine, but that might be a bit over-the-top. I found the new production underwhelming without her contribution.

by Anonymousreply 25July 20, 2019 11:03 PM

R25 Think the Director had anything to do with it......

by Anonymousreply 26July 20, 2019 11:21 PM

R26, admittedly, I'm not entirely knowledgable on what a director's duty truly is. I've always been under the impression that they were in charge of manipulating the acting performances and general onstage action. But maybe they are at the helm of the entire production, bringing all elements of the production together. If that's the case, then he did a marvelous job. For me, what always drew me to POTO was Bjornson's design (the lighting director deserves praise too).

by Anonymousreply 27July 21, 2019 12:29 AM

R27 There is a great doco on hal Prince that explains it very well, worth finding

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 21, 2019 1:17 AM

R27 Hal is a God, this is a great doco on him

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 21, 2019 1:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!