Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Should I report him to the manager - a tale of white privilege

So I found a local store was offering the new Ipad Pro 11" for almost 300 dollars than everyone else. The downside it was 30 miles away. I checked the local Best Buy and they had it in stock. I checked their price match policy and they said any local store who as it in stock and online retailers. So off I went. (mind you the text on the web site was so cheerful "just ask any blue shirt to help you and we will be happy to price match!). SoI found my blue shirt (which was hard to do - there was literally no one around) and when I did he looked at me and said "oh I don't know, that store is not local" I laughed and said "it is 30 miles away" and he said "our cut off is 25 but let me ask my assistant manager." About 10 minutes go buy and up walks the AM. He says the same thing but adds "the best I can do is price match walmart which has it for 799." I told him I would drive 30 miles to save 90 bucks. Then he asks me if I have a BB credit card, I say no. He says he can match the price if I get a BB credit card. I told him I didn't want a BB credit card and his local denial was bullshit because there was a Best Buy literally right next to the store that had it for less. He reiterated his offer only if I got thier credit card so I left and bought it at the store 30 miles away. Should I call corporate on this bitch or just stew in my white people problems?

by Anonymousreply 76July 21, 2019 12:23 AM

White priviledge how?

by Anonymousreply 1July 19, 2019 1:11 PM

How big was the Blue Shirt's dick?

by Anonymousreply 2July 19, 2019 1:16 PM

25 miles seems like a reasonable cut off and stores are always giving discounts when you sign up for their credit cards. This guy did exactly what his manager would want him to do, so what do you think you would be reporting, exactly?

by Anonymousreply 3July 19, 2019 1:19 PM

Stores that offer "price match" are always BS. They always try to squirrel out of it as OP has discovered.

by Anonymousreply 4July 19, 2019 1:19 PM

You're devious, OP. And too needy by half. And entitled.

In short, a Mac user, through and through. You should prove your silly brand loyalty by driving further and paying more and then thanking Tim Cook for the chance to do so.

by Anonymousreply 5July 19, 2019 1:19 PM

It sounds like he wasn't an asshole about it and I do know there are distance limits when it comes to price matching. I would think 30 miles would still fit within accepted parameters, but who knows. I personally wouldn't waste my time calling corporate if only because they weren't dicks about it, at least from the little info you've described. Were they nice about it? If yes, don't bother.

by Anonymousreply 6July 19, 2019 1:20 PM

r5 actually the only apple product I own is the ipad and I use it for work, specifically for note-taking, and the office suite when I am in meetings with my customers.

by Anonymousreply 7July 19, 2019 1:22 PM

r6 he kind of was a dick about it. He would price match but only if I got the credit card which I know he gets a financial reward for getting customers to sign up (my husband is a retail manager). He was letting a sale walk out the door over his financial gain. He was perfectly willing to let it go for that price as long as it was to his personal financial gain.

by Anonymousreply 8July 19, 2019 1:25 PM

The website says "local" is within a 25-mile radius. I've tried posting the direct link to it but DL won't let me (spam filter, probably) so you'll have to look it up yourself, but he wasn't lying. It's Best Buy policy.

by Anonymousreply 9July 19, 2019 1:26 PM

Do you want us to tell you to call corporate? Call corporate then. But it's an overreaction. I wouldn't expect a store to honor that policy-- I'd ask like you did but then drive the 30 miles round trip to save $300.

by Anonymousreply 10July 19, 2019 1:27 PM

don't bother. no one cares. There is no such thing as customer service and they don't care if they get your business or not. Corporate would probably praise him for not giving in. Sad, but true

by Anonymousreply 11July 19, 2019 1:28 PM

r9 yes but there IS a best buy withing 2 miles of the other store.

by Anonymousreply 12July 19, 2019 1:30 PM

You're being an ass OP. He was doing his job and would have done the same thing to a White Man In A Suit. 25 miles is indeed their cutoff.

In the time you spent worrying about this and posting on DL you could have driven to the store in question and bought the damn thing.

Also, does the store in question not ship? For a few dollars more you could have saved yourself a trip.

by Anonymousreply 13July 19, 2019 1:32 PM

Then get the discount from the Best Buy that's within 2 miles of the other store. This particular store can't offer the price match guarantee because it's not within 25 miles of the other store.

I'm sure a Best Buy manager can't just offer a discount to a customer when he wants to. The manager has almost certainly been asked about discounts for that particular store before and has said no before, because it's outside the 25-mile radius that Best Buy mandates. It's out of his hands.

He was attempting to get you a discount by offering you the credit card which has a sign-up bonus of 10%. There's probably no other discount he could offer you per Best Buy's own guidelines.

by Anonymousreply 14July 19, 2019 1:33 PM

white peoples problem versus white privilege? I vote former

by Anonymousreply 15July 19, 2019 1:35 PM

I don’t know you OP, but I hate you.

by Anonymousreply 16July 19, 2019 1:56 PM

r15 YAH mission accomplished

by Anonymousreply 17July 19, 2019 1:57 PM

[QUOTE]You're devious, OP. And too needy by half. And entitled. In short, a Mac user, through and through. You should prove your silly brand loyalty by driving further and paying more and then thanking Tim Cook for the chance to do so.

You clearly don’t know Apple users very well.

by Anonymousreply 18July 19, 2019 1:59 PM

Thank you, R18. You just proved my point.

by Anonymousreply 19July 19, 2019 2:01 PM

r15 White privilege is confusing white privilege with white people problems and getting away with it.

by Anonymousreply 20July 19, 2019 2:14 PM

r14 I think you are missing the point - he did offer to match the price and if I signed up for the credit card I would get 10% more off. So he was literally willing to let it go for LESS than the price the other store was offering by 10% if I signed up for the credit card. So he could do the price match and even lower but only if I signed up for a credit card and too a hard inquiry on my credit report - two things I don't want or need. The point is he was willing to give it to me for the matched price only if I did something that gained him financial gain. Capitalism sure! Customer Service...no.

by Anonymousreply 21July 19, 2019 2:17 PM

OP / R21. Stop. Please stop. You refuse to look at this reasonably. Rather, you steadfastly substitute your own short-sighted and narcissistic argument. each time you post. Your argument is deficient and does not stand up to all the scrutiny that has been offered here. But you persist.

Just stop.

by Anonymousreply 22July 19, 2019 2:22 PM

What did this have to do with race?

by Anonymousreply 23July 19, 2019 2:30 PM

You absolutely should not report this to corporate.

You absolutely should go and shoot all of the employees involved.

by Anonymousreply 24July 19, 2019 2:31 PM

Bargain shoppers are so fucking exhausting. Just buy the damn thing and move on with your life.

by Anonymousreply 25July 19, 2019 2:32 PM

R24 for the win although I prefer to cut the bitch

by Anonymousreply 26July 19, 2019 2:36 PM

[quote]I prefer to cut the bitch

How very, very European of you.

by Anonymousreply 27July 19, 2019 2:37 PM

1) You’re an asshole. If the policy is 25 miles, that’s the policy. Stop shitting on someone making 8.75 an hour to put up with schmucks like you and worse.

and,

2) You’re a shitstirrer for injecting white privilege into this. You know you’ll score troll points and start a fight over a real thing that you’re dumb story has nothing to do with. You ARE a classist douche, though.

by Anonymousreply 28July 19, 2019 2:39 PM

[quote] So I found a local store was offering the new Ipad Pro 11" for almost 300 dollars than everyone else.

300 dollars lower?

Sorry, OP, your post was unreadable alphabet soup.

by Anonymousreply 29July 19, 2019 2:40 PM

Dear OP, YTA.

by Anonymousreply 30July 19, 2019 2:40 PM

30 miles is not local. You’re complaining about driving that far and trying to avoid it with this embarrassing nickel and dime act, which should tell you that it’s not local.

by Anonymousreply 31July 19, 2019 2:42 PM

I don't really get how this is white privilege for you to expect them to honor a price match. PoC would be irate also. Having said that I don't really know BB's policy for local price matching to state whether you have a case or not.

But I checked call the manager because venting about it over the phone to someone who will just reply I understand your frustration might make you feel better and be able to move on.

by Anonymousreply 32July 19, 2019 3:13 PM

r28, doubtful he makes 8.75 if in a big city. Minimum wage already up there.

by Anonymousreply 33July 19, 2019 3:14 PM

Folks, please! OP is a terrible writer.

[quote] Should I call corporate on this bitch or just stew in my white people problems?

That's the last line of his post. And he introduces his 'white privilege' thesis in the last three words of the goddamned post.

He's not writing about the manager's white privilege. Or even Best Buy's white privilege. He's referencing his own sniveling white life.

by Anonymousreply 34July 19, 2019 3:17 PM

r34 that was the point - it is my white privilege or white people problems. I was poking fun at myself. FYI i did drive the 30 miles to get the Ipad and moved on with my happy life. At least it gives me a census of who the DL posters are lol.

by Anonymousreply 35July 19, 2019 3:39 PM

You're giving someone who works on the floor at a big box store way too much power. He most certainly has a protocol he must follow. Getting someone to sign up for a CC is most likely an imperative. Maybe he even has a quota. Unclench OP. Give the guy a break.

by Anonymousreply 36July 19, 2019 3:59 PM

BB's policy is price matching stores within 25 miles; your store was 30 miles away. The AM offered you a way around the policy but you weren't interested. He did you no wrong and you have nothing to complain about (but the limits of your white privilege). End of story.

by Anonymousreply 37July 19, 2019 4:11 PM

Never buy anything from Best buy most people are unaware that how atrocious their return policy is.

by Anonymousreply 38July 19, 2019 4:19 PM

Educate yourself, R33. Minimum wage is set at the state level, not city. Plenty of places have minimum wage still well under $10, let alone 15.

by Anonymousreply 39July 19, 2019 4:28 PM

* Usually when a retailer offers a price match:

1) Has to be an actual brick & mortar store location ~and~

2) The store that they are to match is within a certain amount of miles; it's not reasonable to ask a store in Manhattan to price match a retail store in Marion, NC.

by Anonymousreply 40July 19, 2019 4:30 PM

r39, I know that OP lives in a big city. Hence a state with a higher minimum wage than the city.

Op it's not about white privilege, POC would be irate too as I said.

by Anonymousreply 41July 19, 2019 4:31 PM

I wish these polls would refrain from using Vivian Vance, it so painfully unfunny now, and hasn't she been through already?

Give it a break VV troll.

by Anonymousreply 42July 19, 2019 4:32 PM

I needed to assume words not included in your post for it to make sense. Maybe, the employees didn't assume the same words I did and they were confused so they just said no.

by Anonymousreply 43July 19, 2019 4:34 PM

You're just a cheap POS. Apologize to the store staff, go home, and stay there for the rest of your life.

by Anonymousreply 44July 19, 2019 4:34 PM

r44 apologize for what? Didn't make a scene, when he said he could only do it one way I said "cool, thanks I don't want to open a credit card" and left. My quandary is should I call and complain - the answer back is no you big baby. Got it. DL Helps again!! To the others, I know a POC would be just as miffed. but I am white, so that is how I framed it.

by Anonymousreply 45July 19, 2019 4:47 PM

Too cheap to drive 30 miles and would rather bitch and racebait. You're a peach, OP.

by Anonymousreply 46July 19, 2019 4:48 PM

Best Buy Shoppe Bottom was confused because bossy bully customer was an even bigger bottom. Does not compute.

by Anonymousreply 47July 19, 2019 4:51 PM

Report him! Report him! Report him!

by Anonymousreply 48July 19, 2019 5:00 PM

What's the non-white gay male name for Karen?

by Anonymousreply 49July 19, 2019 5:03 PM

[quote] Getting someone to sign up for a CC is most likely an imperative. Maybe he even has a quota.

Exactly. I don't work in retail and never have, but I thought it's common knowledge they are asking because they have to. It doesn't bother me for that reason. Incredibly, OP said their husband works in retail, and therefore knows how stores work. OP is obviously a fool.

by Anonymousreply 50July 19, 2019 5:10 PM

There is no white privilege abuse here BUT

let's say there is and run with it ! What do you say ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51July 19, 2019 5:14 PM

Karen=Keesha

by Anonymousreply 52July 19, 2019 5:16 PM

If the OP was saving $300, I'm still baffled as to why he wouldn't just pay the $10 or so to have the store ship it to him in the first place, before he decided to truck on down to Best Buy

by Anonymousreply 53July 19, 2019 5:19 PM

Thirty miles is not far if you're in the middle of Kansas. Thirty miles from Manhattan is far away,

by Anonymousreply 54July 19, 2019 5:21 PM

r54 god loves you.

by Anonymousreply 55July 19, 2019 5:23 PM

[quote][R44] apologize for what?

For your very existence.

by Anonymousreply 56July 19, 2019 5:25 PM

Best Buy does have a terrible return policy and people should be more aware of it before they purchase there.

Also, Best Buy is just shitty altogether. I recently bought a TV there because it was on sale and when I opened the box, it was obviously a set that had been returned as the internal packaging wasn't the original and the TV was bent in three places with the screen curving (and no it wasn't supposed to). I took it back within an hour of purchasing and they were next to impossible to do deal with.

by Anonymousreply 57July 19, 2019 5:26 PM

r56 lol you're sweet.

by Anonymousreply 58July 19, 2019 5:26 PM

My neighbor had the reverse of this problem week b4 last. It's white people and old people problems.

My elderly neighbor bought a new ipad at Walmart 2 wks ago. She had another elderly friend of hers come over to help her set it up. Old people eyesight meant that they input both the recovery email and password wrong, and they were locked out of the pad. That's when they called me.

I told my neighbor she would have to go to an Apple store and get it reset. She did this the next day, but it turns out these resets can only be done by a remote team working through the local Apple Store staff. She made an appointment for that afternoon, but the remote tech stood them up. Frustrated, she left and returned to Walmart.

The electronics manager said he'd take it as a return. And then he told her they got brand new ones in that morning, and they would be offered on sale for $248 for a couple days (she paid $359 for hers). She walked out with an ipad and an extra $100 in her wallet. I helped her set it up and there were no vision or data entry problems lol.

by Anonymousreply 59July 19, 2019 5:42 PM

Turn him in!

Turn him in!

Turn him in!

by Anonymousreply 60July 19, 2019 5:47 PM

I would have been happier if this had been a tale that had been literate, of any color.

by Anonymousreply 61July 19, 2019 5:49 PM

r61 just for you - As I drove down the road, my caftan flowing in the breeze, I pondered getting a new Ipad device to check Tinder for men far out of my league and to catfish tweens. Upon entering the establishment this young fellow approached me in what I was sure was going to be sexual rendezvous! Alas, it was not the case. I asked him to point me to where they keep the things only white people can afford and he leads me to the apple section. I inquired about the price, knowing full well I was armed with my penny saver flyer of a lower price of which I would ask him to match. When he informed me the establishment was far too distant for them to accommodate my simple request I demanded to speak to the manager. I was forced to waste precious time whilst I waited to be attended too. This brutish man, oozing testosterone and CK One approached me. He practically raped me with his eyes as he told me I must get the credit card to achieve the price I was so gallantly waving in my well-manincured hand. I was livid! I took Raul, my husband by the hand and stormed out of the store, vowing in a very loud but clear voice never to set foot in this establishment again! All was not lost, I ventured the 30 miles to the establishment which held the device in question for the price I wanted and achieved my goals. Hurrah I shouted, decent people! Finally, decent people - the end.

by Anonymousreply 62July 19, 2019 8:48 PM

Thank you R62. I read your strangely compelling and deeply moving tale with joy, your sesquipedalian delights making my male body parts clench with rapture, your adjectival acrobatics forcing my male bosom to heave.

by Anonymousreply 63July 19, 2019 8:55 PM

r63 I am but a humble wordsmith who lives to serve his masters of wit and wisdom.

by Anonymousreply 64July 19, 2019 8:57 PM

OP should be

VICIOUSLY SLAPPED!

by Anonymousreply 65July 19, 2019 10:53 PM

[quote] my caftan flowing in the breeze

R62 gets the Pulitzer. He certainly nailed his subject!

by Anonymousreply 66July 19, 2019 10:53 PM

r66 thank you - OP

by Anonymousreply 67July 20, 2019 1:24 AM

r62. I loved that.

OP, my issue isn't with whether you should call the manager and complain about the problem. But the insistence that it is a tale of white privilege. It is not limited to white persons as I know POC would be similarly outraged and don't forget there would be FRAU outrage also.

Instead of white people problems this is a 1st world problem.

by Anonymousreply 68July 20, 2019 5:10 PM

R68, just go read R34 and R35

by Anonymousreply 69July 20, 2019 5:14 PM

a zESTy tale, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 70July 20, 2019 5:20 PM

OP, white people aren't the only people who can afford to pay full price for a muthafuckin iPad pro 11".

by Anonymousreply 71July 20, 2019 5:59 PM

Eat for a decade or buy an iPad? Gimme a minute...

by Anonymousreply 72July 20, 2019 9:23 PM

You should have opened a credit card, made your purchase, and then canceled the credit card. But I get it OP. I'm kind of OCD myself when it comes to saving money. And accommodating one customer wasn't going to make or break them.

by Anonymousreply 73July 20, 2019 9:34 PM

You lost me at "Best Buy". Worst fucking store on the planet. I will never shop there.

by Anonymousreply 74July 20, 2019 10:04 PM

r71 that can't be true. Apples are made for whitey, everyone knows that.

by Anonymousreply 75July 20, 2019 10:35 PM

If you live in California you can make a complaint to the State Consumer Affairs office. They’re pretty aggressive about defending consumers against false or misleading advertising or bait-and-switch.

by Anonymousreply 76July 21, 2019 12:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!