Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I had someone reject me because I wasn't his religion (plus other enumerated reasons)

I hesitate to mention which religion for fear of attracting trolls. But while he was listing the reasons why we could NEVER date including my age and distance and calling me pretentious and judgemental, he said "and it's a deal breaker you aren't _____. My mom and I don't get along but I want to respect her and my culture. It's the least I can do."

And on top of all that, he kept saying "you'll find someone. I know you will." and flat out said he didn't believe me when I said I would be fine without dating him or being friends with him. He just KNEW I was lying, he said. It's okay, he understood. And he wasn't making a joke.

Seriously I thought we were just chatting on the internet and Skyping - I don't put too much stock in long distance relationships so I thought it was a bit of fun. He acted like he saved me from falling in love with him because he could never be in a relationship with someone that didn't match his mother's list of requirements.

I'm aggravated because he seems to think I'm sitting here alone in my room pining away for him. I'd like to call him a delusional twat but I don't want to hurt his (younger person) feelings. He has to be a functioning autistic or something.

by Anonymousreply 24July 20, 2019 12:47 PM

I'm guessing he takes a lot of selfies.

by Anonymousreply 1July 19, 2019 1:41 PM

I definitely do not fit my partner's 'immigrant that is middle-eastern and is very close to his religious mother's' requirements, but he's not a asshole that copies his mother's wants onto me. The most he's wanted is benign stuff like that I don't actively disrespect his origins and maybe that if he has children that he's allowed to teach them Arabic or whatever.

by Anonymousreply 2July 19, 2019 3:06 PM

Hmm, I think he just really didn't like you and wasn't attracted to you and just came up with a bogus list of things to get rid of you.

by Anonymousreply 3July 19, 2019 3:09 PM

No, he was serious, r3! He doesn't joke.

by Anonymousreply 4July 19, 2019 3:39 PM

Too bad it didn't work out. You both sound insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 5July 19, 2019 4:29 PM

He’s just not that into you. Move it along, toots.

by Anonymousreply 6July 19, 2019 6:07 PM

r5 somehow... I will survive your insult.

by Anonymousreply 7July 19, 2019 6:09 PM

[quote]He doesn't joke.

An even better reason to lose him.

by Anonymousreply 8July 19, 2019 6:11 PM

OP, Many prioritize religious and cultural origins and the dominating influence of their parents especially their mothers. #1 question asked when the subject of dating come up is the other person's faith. Truth.

by Anonymousreply 9July 19, 2019 8:48 PM

Anyone who would even bring up religion as a reason not to be with someone is clearly mentally ill and should be avoided at all costs.

by Anonymousreply 10July 19, 2019 8:57 PM

I’m sorry, but I agree with r5. You both sound fucking awful.

by Anonymousreply 11July 19, 2019 9:17 PM

I'm delightful, r11! You just have to get to know me.... somehow.

by Anonymousreply 12July 19, 2019 10:24 PM

Is that a religion where the mother can abort till the son is

a) either a lawyer or

b) a doctor?

It's okay! I'm neither a or b and I'm doing just fine and dandy. Till the next bar exam that is...

by Anonymousreply 13July 19, 2019 10:33 PM

Truly bizarre thread. Can you quit being so circumspect, OP? Man up and tell the whole story.

by Anonymousreply 14July 19, 2019 11:42 PM

r13 oui

by Anonymousreply 15July 20, 2019 12:09 AM

he doesn't like you. that was the best way, in his mind, to get rid of you. now have a drink, a good sleep, and go back to grinder to find the love of your life!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 20, 2019 3:43 AM

Dodged a bullet there, OP. Just put it all behind you, sigh a sigh of relief that you don't need to interact with such a weird freak anymore, and get on with your life. And just make sure you never interact with him again, in any way.

by Anonymousreply 17July 20, 2019 3:45 AM

He also made me promise not to block him on the chat client and then said he wishes he'd never responded to my message "what have you been up to? Haven't heard from you in awhile." So he wishes he had ghosted me instead of having that aggravating conversation, but didn't want me to block him after because ???

The irritating thing is, I promised I wouldn't block him, and now I really wish I hadn't promised that :p Should I block him and break my word, or should I just delete him from my contacts whenever his next relationship inevitably fails?

by Anonymousreply 18July 20, 2019 3:47 AM

You should absolutely block him on all possible channels.

What on earth do you have to gain from keeping a ridiculous promise like that to such a rude freak?

by Anonymousreply 19July 20, 2019 3:49 AM

R19 that's a very good point.

by Anonymousreply 20July 20, 2019 5:04 AM

Some day you're masc Arab top will come.

by Anonymousreply 21July 20, 2019 5:49 AM

Never fret over someone who rejects you for a ridiculous reason. Just move on. There are far more people who will accept you as you are.

by Anonymousreply 22July 20, 2019 11:29 AM

OP, in my opinion you should write him back and tell him clearly you two have absolutely nothing to talk about so there is no need to continue any sort of correspondence. Then block the ever lovin' fuck out of him.

by Anonymousreply 23July 20, 2019 11:33 AM

He doesn’t deserve a response and you’ll never have the satisfaction of a “last word”. You could wait 10 years for his next relationship to fail.

by Anonymousreply 24July 20, 2019 12:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!