Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

46% of whites worry becoming a majority-minority nation will 'weaken American culture,' survey says

Almost half of white Americans say the USA becoming a majority nonwhite nation would "weaken American customs and values," a new Pew Research Center survey says.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87July 19, 2019 2:24 AM

Great news for me!

by Anonymousreply 1July 18, 2019 10:40 PM

They should go back to Europe.

by Anonymousreply 2July 18, 2019 10:40 PM

I don’t think that is true, but I do think the lack of assimilation is eroding American culture.

by Anonymousreply 3July 18, 2019 10:41 PM

[quote] I don’t think that is true, but I do think the lack of assimilation is eroding American culture.

Said racists and xenophobes about the Irish and Italians a hundred years ago.

by Anonymousreply 4July 18, 2019 10:43 PM

What are they afraid of? I say that as a white person. Race is a social construct.

by Anonymousreply 5July 18, 2019 10:45 PM

[quote]I don’t think that is true, but I do think the lack of assimilation is eroding American culture.

"American culture" is a construct. The culture of this nation has been in flux long before it was called America. This myopic thinking is what's truly erosive.

by Anonymousreply 6July 18, 2019 10:47 PM

[QUOTE]I don’t think that is true, but I do think the lack of assimilation is eroding American culture.

Lack of assimilation? According to who, or what? The adults who come here might not assimilate well but their kids and grandchildren are certainly adept at becoming lazy, spoiled, tight ripped jeans wearing American brats who speak English and worship at the altar of Nike and Banana Republic and Instagram and Snapchat and Apple and Disney. It may take a while but they’re getting with the corporatist program.

by Anonymousreply 7July 18, 2019 10:51 PM

R6 Exactly. I as a white American of Irish descent would not have been considered “white” when my people came over here. But once the waves of Asian and Eastern European migration began, the Irish and Italian Americans were suddenly drafted to the “white” team. Once the Hispanics and Latinx migration began, the Eastern Europeans got drafted to the white team and the Asians got “promoted” as “the good minority.” White people in this country are still completely f*cked and neurotic about black people and ignore native Americans, so those walls stand strong. But as we see more interracial children, the white majority will make other social construct changes that will prevent a minority-majority country. Who decides who’s “white” or not and who decides what counts as “assimilation”? The majority. And in every era the goalpost moves...

by Anonymousreply 8July 18, 2019 10:53 PM

And eventually when everyone intermarries to the point where we all look similar (or similarly different), there will be some other cultural construct that people who want power will use to divide us, like religion, language, etc.

by Anonymousreply 9July 18, 2019 10:55 PM

Why didn't you write "majority nonwhite people", OP? This is shitty writing.

by Anonymousreply 10July 18, 2019 11:02 PM

After reading this thread I’m thinking most of you hear a word like ‘assimilation’ and automatically assume the worst. Adapting to a new country and its way of life makes sense, to a degree.

by Anonymousreply 11July 18, 2019 11:02 PM

[quote] After reading this thread I’m thinking most of you hear a word like ‘assimilation’ and automatically assume the worst. Adapting to a new country and its way of life makes sense, to a degree.

No, we assume the people using the word "assimilation" mean "become just like us white folks." Don't pretend they mean "accept our legal system" or "cherish democracy."

by Anonymousreply 12July 18, 2019 11:05 PM

We know our history about the people who’ve tried to justify xenophobia on the basis that “those people” won’t assimilate.

by Anonymousreply 13July 18, 2019 11:11 PM

[quote]Once the Hispanics and Latinx migration began, the Eastern Europeans got drafted to the white team and the Asians got “promoted” as “the good minority.”

Err no, Hispanics where always here since the Spanish decided to rape their first native women. They were here before the Asians or any other American minority except Native Americans.

by Anonymousreply 14July 18, 2019 11:13 PM

were*

by Anonymousreply 15July 18, 2019 11:14 PM

How do you figure assimilation is a white person thing? Look at Japan and tell me it’s just the white folks. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 16July 18, 2019 11:14 PM

Odd that the word "religion" hasn't been mentioned yet. Surely by not mentioning it you're missing the point.

by Anonymousreply 17July 18, 2019 11:16 PM

[quote] How do you figure assimilation is a white person thing? Look at Japan and tell me it’s just the white folks.

???? We were talking about immigration into the US. Assimilation into the US, under the xenophobe's understanding, would be into white persons' culture.

by Anonymousreply 18July 18, 2019 11:17 PM

Also, Japan is a hugely xenophobic culture.

by Anonymousreply 19July 18, 2019 11:20 PM

American culture is absolute garbage right now so I don't see how it could hurt anything.

by Anonymousreply 20July 18, 2019 11:23 PM

They might be worried , but there’s nothing they can do about it.

by Anonymousreply 21July 18, 2019 11:25 PM

No matter how diverse America becomes, the suburbs will stay almost 100% white with some Asians and Persians (rich minorities) sprinkled in. Their "American culture" will do just fine there.

by Anonymousreply 22July 18, 2019 11:25 PM

R20 - there's always been low-brow American culture. The dreck of previous decades isn't recalled or celebrated. There's always been a lot of shit movies, TV and fashion.

by Anonymousreply 23July 18, 2019 11:26 PM

Having an influx of different cultures has always been our strength, and will continue to be. I am happy to have my neighborhood filled with immigrants, they are much friendlier and kinder than the Blonde fraus and their insecure boring husbands. I have no idea why anyone would want to live primarily around Anglo Americans, but I notice the fraus, especially, are a pain at the grocery store. They can’t understand any accent other than their flat American generica and ask the immigrant cashiers to repeat themselves over and over in a passive-aggressive way. I end up interjecting and translating because the whole process is so tedious and embarrassing. So many people want to stay in their bubbles and are holding firm.

by Anonymousreply 24July 18, 2019 11:26 PM

[quote][R20] - there's always been low-brow American culture. The dreck of previous decades isn't recalled or celebrated. There's always been a lot of shit movies, TV and fashion.

But now it's practically ALL shit - even the stuff that's supposedly higher brow.

by Anonymousreply 25July 18, 2019 11:28 PM

r23 it's not just pop culture, but culture and behavior in general. America is a total garbage pit in recent times.

by Anonymousreply 26July 18, 2019 11:29 PM

We can't even agree on what American customs and values are, so how will tell when they weaken? America used to be considered a "melting-pot". It now a "multi-cultural" country. Was that a weakening of values? I was shocked when, at the age of 50, I was informed by an African-America that I am European-American. No, kind sir, I am simply an American.

by Anonymousreply 27July 18, 2019 11:29 PM

[quote]I have no idea why anyone would want to live primarily around Anglo Americans

Indian-Americans and Asian-Americans can be as entitled and superior-acting as any white blond cunt.

by Anonymousreply 28July 18, 2019 11:30 PM

[quote] I was shocked when, at the age of 50, I was informed by an African-American that I am European-American. No, kind sir, I am simply an American.

And so is he.

by Anonymousreply 29July 18, 2019 11:31 PM

If American culture is weakened, it won't happen at a consistent level across the country. It will probably bring us closer to the inevitable division of the country into multiple parts.

by Anonymousreply 30July 18, 2019 11:33 PM

[R29] That is certainly true, especially if you are what they consider an inferior. They are the ones that are caught keeping Malaysian slaves in their houses.

by Anonymousreply 31July 18, 2019 11:38 PM

r24 hates white people. Yawn.

by Anonymousreply 32July 18, 2019 11:38 PM

I refuse to believe the division of the US is inevitable. Immigration will continue to keep this country strong the way it always has—because it draws adventurous and tough people who believe in our founding ideals.

by Anonymousreply 33July 18, 2019 11:39 PM

"Assimilation" is such a canard. By most measures, acculturation (adopting new cultural norms, accruing the cultural capital that is rewarded) is happening much more quickly now than in the days of Italian, Irish and Jewish waves of immigrants 100, 120 years ago. Most "white protestant" folks of a certain age would be horrified at what assimilation means now (c.f. HBOs Euphoria). And worried about assimilation? Why then don't we all fix it for the Dreamers, who couldn't be more American. What the worry is … is race. That white supremacy may be threatened. Thanks November 2016. May be remembered in future generations like 9-11.

by Anonymousreply 34July 18, 2019 11:43 PM

The only part of 'American Culture' that hasn't been appropriated from elsewhere is fucking Cheerleaders.

by Anonymousreply 35July 18, 2019 11:49 PM

[quote]Immigration will continue to keep this country strong the way it always has—because it draws adventurous and tough people who believe in our founding ideals.

Even if that's not true for many recent immigrants, it's at least true of Asian Indians. They understand that the business of America is business and success. The Geographic and Spelling Bees demonstrates their drive.

by Anonymousreply 36July 18, 2019 11:51 PM

[quote] it's at least true of Asian Indians.

Never heard that expression before.

by Anonymousreply 37July 18, 2019 11:52 PM

It *is* true for many recent immigrants. How much grit to you think it takes to make your way here in the caravan, let alone by yourself? It’s WAY more courage than I have or have ever needed.

by Anonymousreply 38July 18, 2019 11:52 PM

The quote was about tough people who also believe in our founding ideals.

by Anonymousreply 39July 18, 2019 11:56 PM

I do think too many unskilled Latinos will weaken American culture. Legal immigrants are highly filtered based on education, career, and social status. Undocumented Latinos aren't known for being hardworking the same way as Asian or African immigrants are stereotyped as being. Americans still generally see Latinos as being lazy and uneducated.

by Anonymousreply 40July 18, 2019 11:57 PM

What makes you say they don’t? They come here to make a better life, because it’s known (fair or not) as the place you can come to from anywhere and have a chance to succeed.

by Anonymousreply 41July 18, 2019 11:57 PM

R40 Asian Americans were once thought of as shifty, and Irish were thought of as lazy drunks. It’s the Latino immigrants who are doing the backbreaking work of producing food for the rest of this country. Ever taken a drive through the middle of California? You will never think of immigrants from anywhere as lazy again.

by Anonymousreply 42July 18, 2019 11:59 PM

What a crock, r40. Latinos do back-breaking agricultural work other people wouldn't touch.

by Anonymousreply 43July 18, 2019 11:59 PM

R42, R43. You guys are just proving my point. Americans just see Latinos as beasts of burden who lack education. Many Americans do the same physical labor but aren't praised for it. Latinos aren't the first or only farmers.

by Anonymousreply 44July 19, 2019 12:04 AM

For people who know the history of immigration and immigration-backlash cycles in the US, it’s just very frustrating to see the same exact anti-immigrant claims trotted out as have always been trotted out, even though they’ve been proven wrong every. single. time. No scary “other” has taken away the country. No scary “other” has refused to assimilate over time. No scary “other” has been a drain on the country’s resources. Instead, we’ve gotten fresh batches of people who believe in this country without cynicism, not to mention the talent that makes this country the best in the world (and that doesn’t even touch the FOOD!). Immigration has benefited the US immensely, and yet so many ignorant, backwards morons in this country refuse to believe it.

by Anonymousreply 45July 19, 2019 12:05 AM

R44 ohhhhh I get it, you’re just making up arguments as you go.

by Anonymousreply 46July 19, 2019 12:06 AM

[quote] You guys are just proving my point.

No, your point was they were lazy.

by Anonymousreply 47July 19, 2019 12:07 AM

R47 No, my point was that Americans generally perceive them as lazy.

by Anonymousreply 48July 19, 2019 12:08 AM

You said this:

[quote] I do think too many unskilled Latinos will weaken American culture.

Then proceeded to talk about how they are seen as lazy.

If you didn't mean to imply you thought they were lazy, exactly how will they weaken American culture?

by Anonymousreply 49July 19, 2019 12:10 AM

Let me remind you that not all Latino immigrants work on farms in California. Many Latinos live in cities. R42

by Anonymousreply 50July 19, 2019 12:10 AM

I wonder of any country will remain majority "white". I have no idea about the world population demographics.

by Anonymousreply 51July 19, 2019 12:11 AM

[quote] Let me remind you that not all Latino immigrants work on farms in California. Many Latinos live in cities.

Thanks, Captain Obvious.

by Anonymousreply 52July 19, 2019 12:13 AM

[quote]Many Latinos live in cities.

According to labor economist Kelly Osbourne, those are the ones cleaning toilets. She was only referring to newcomers of course.

by Anonymousreply 53July 19, 2019 12:15 AM

Why do white American voters think white immigrants can't see how the US is going down the toilet?

Making things crappy for the 99% just to pacify low-information xenophobes isn't enough to keep skilled transferable labour around.

What is meant by a 'strong American culture'? English and Spanish the only languages on signs? High Fructose Corn Syrup and hydrogenated fats? Confederate flags on pickup trucks? Imperial measurements?

AFAIK the dumbass and oppressive ICE policies (e.g. putting permanent residents in detention centres because the misdemeanors they committed as youth offenders 30 years ago are now considered felonies) aren't colour- or nationality-specific.

by Anonymousreply 54July 19, 2019 12:18 AM

I live in an agricultural area of California; in Fresno County. The Latinos (is that still a pc term?) I've met here are hard-working, family-oriented, considerate and courteous. If this is the cultural trend of the future, I'm all for it. ( I hope that my characterization doesn't offend anyone. I don't know anymore what is OK.)

by Anonymousreply 55July 19, 2019 12:20 AM

[quote]According to labor economist Kelly Osbourne, those are the ones cleaning toilets. She was only referring to newcomers of course.

That was HILAARIOUS!

by Anonymousreply 56July 19, 2019 12:21 AM

Was Kelly ever invited back onto The View after that? - to share her "views"?

by Anonymousreply 57July 19, 2019 12:22 AM

[quote] The Latinos (is that still a pc term?)

The current "PC" term is Latinx, but Latino/Latina is fine.

by Anonymousreply 58July 19, 2019 12:24 AM

It's interesting that no one ever views Latinos as intelligent. There is a reason other immigrant populations are preferred by the American government. The majority of jobs unskilled Latinos do can be done by American teenagers.

by Anonymousreply 59July 19, 2019 12:26 AM

[quote] The majority of jobs unskilled Latinos do can be done by American teenagers.

Horseshit. American teenagers wouldn't last a week doing what Latinos do.

by Anonymousreply 60July 19, 2019 12:28 AM

Many of those jobs used to be done by American teenagers, until something happened with white middle-class parents. They didn't want their kids to work anymore. Especially at manual labor jobs. It was no big deal for generations, then suddenly it became this big déclassé thing.

by Anonymousreply 61July 19, 2019 12:29 AM

History lesson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62July 19, 2019 12:30 AM

Teenagers used to do all the landscaping work and even construction work in the summer in my neck of the woods.

by Anonymousreply 63July 19, 2019 12:32 AM

Here's my story about how a Canadian's business was ruined in America, by Mexican cultural values.

A Canadian woman I knew professionally owned and operated a 90-bed assisted living facility. She provided excellent care, food and activities to her residents and was held in high esteem locally. She was in business over 20 years.

She hired a Mexican woman to work in HR. Eventually this woman was promoted to the head of HR.

One weekend her business was raided by ICE and local police. Over half of her employees - maintenance, kitchen staff and caregivers - were deported. The Canadian's business and professional license were sanctioned by the state because she was guilty of forged hiring documents and related offenses. She had to transfer out 2/3 of her residents because she didn't have employees. Legal costs and lost business bankrupted her. She sold her life's work and returned, defeated, to Canada.

What happened? Her Mexican HR woman hired all her relatives and friends for positions at the assisted living center, most of whom were not legal. She faked work documents as necessary. The owner didn't know about this of course. And when ICE arrived, Mexican head of HR and her family were nowhere to be found.

The cultural values here are that Mexicans think it's okay to break the law if it benefits them or their family. They aren't concerned about how their decisions will affect others. They believe in protecting the material interests of their family above anything else. Laws are for suckers. You don't hire the best people; you hire your family and friends.

Family-at-all-costs values are highly tribal and lead to intergroup conflict. America was founded upon other ideals that potentially serve everybody equally. America doesn't have a perfect record regarding minorities, but no other country tries as hard to fix those problems and to openly admit they exist.

I hope this helps you understand why some people are concerned about the millions of undocumented Mexican migrants who live here now. This is largely how they operate.

by Anonymousreply 64July 19, 2019 12:34 AM

Thank you, R58.

by Anonymousreply 65July 19, 2019 12:35 AM

[quote]Teenagers used to do all the landscaping work and even construction work in the summer in my neck of the woods.

When I was a kid in London (70s) kids (teens) used to come to the door and ask if you wanted your car cleaned...and everyone used them. You never see that now.

by Anonymousreply 66July 19, 2019 12:36 AM

Yes, one dubious example proves all Mexicans put family over the law.

by Anonymousreply 67July 19, 2019 12:36 AM

Mexicans clearly put family over the law. This is why illegal immigration is such a problem. R67

by Anonymousreply 68July 19, 2019 12:38 AM

[quote] Mexicans clearly put family over the law. This is why illegal immigration is such a problem. [R67]

You want to try and explain that? You want to explain why immigrants have a lower violent crime rate than non-immigrants if they don't care about the law? You think Italians and Irish never skirted the law to bring in their families? You think Trump never skirted immigration law for his family?

by Anonymousreply 69July 19, 2019 12:42 AM

The law shouldn't be skirted by anyone.

by Anonymousreply 70July 19, 2019 12:44 AM

Yes, but your point was that Mexicans as an entire people are more faithful to family over law. Based on one dubious incident.

Shouldn't I also assume that other groups do exactly the same thing based on one incident? All Germans put family over the law, based on Trump, by your logic.

by Anonymousreply 71July 19, 2019 12:46 AM

Hilarious to see a claim that Mexicans put family over the law given the current President. People in general of all backgrounds put family over the law.

by Anonymousreply 72July 19, 2019 12:59 AM

I have another story about Mexican cultural values. My identity was stolen in 2008 by a Mexican cleaning crew working in government offices. My stolen name and SSN and other data was used by a person - turned out to be a woman of all things - to obtain credit including a mortgage. I'm sure she did it for her family. I had to file BK to make that mess go away. Later on, I dated a Mexican guy who I assumed was legal, but who told me eventually he had a completely fake identity including birth certificate, SSN and passport. He was sending part of his earnings to Mexico to use to build a home down there, where he intends to retire to. I broke up with him after I learned of it, but I'm not the kind of person to turn in somebody for that.

by Anonymousreply 73July 19, 2019 12:59 AM

[quote] My identity was stolen in 2008 by a Mexican cleaning crew...

Enough with the anecdotes. Identities are stolen every day and the people overwhelmingly doing the stealing are not Mexicans and the overwhelming majority of Mexicans are not identity thefts. Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 74July 19, 2019 1:03 AM

What's with the "bad Mexican" stories, r64/r73?

by Anonymousreply 75July 19, 2019 1:10 AM

[quote]I hope this helps you understand

It definitely helps us understand something about you, R64.

by Anonymousreply 76July 19, 2019 1:16 AM

Figures: OP was also the shit-stirrer who started the thread, "Ilhan Omar, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and other freshman congresswomen are calling attention to a toxic legacy of racism within the Democratic party."

And he's been in quite a few threads insisting that Democrats can't possibly win in 2020:

[quote]That looks more and more unlikely. Democrats need to concentrate on winning the Senate and keep their seats in Congress. A Democrat has a better shot in 2024 winning the White House.

Not to mention this gem:

[quote]Democrats will never win the presidency because they’ve become extremists and completely out of touch. All the tranny bullshit, voting rights for prisoners, reparations? Democrats have lost their goddamn minds.

by Anonymousreply 77July 19, 2019 1:24 AM

My brother married a Peruvian and chain immigration has landed a good portion of the family here. FAMILY is everything , then civic duty is somewhere down the list

by Anonymousreply 78July 19, 2019 1:27 AM

Does it matter? Straight white men and the men who love them will always be in charge.

by Anonymousreply 79July 19, 2019 1:33 AM

I've never really understood this. To hear many white people say it, they don't see color and that everyone is the same to them. That whether you're black or white or brown or somewhere in between that everyone is the same as long as your American. Then you see reports like this and realize that what they say is meaningless and a bunch of lies. When it's all said and done there's not one white person who wants to give up being white and all that it means to be white in America. I think if you were just honest about that fact, we could really begin a path towards peace and understanding and really bridge our differences.

What I've learned in my over 40 years on this planet is that American are virtually the same, the only real difference is money and opportunity -- who has it and who does't. If people of color become the majority, America will still be America.

by Anonymousreply 80July 19, 2019 1:44 AM

R80 People who admit that they don't want to lose their privileges are called deplorable.

by Anonymousreply 81July 19, 2019 1:51 AM

The difference between Latino immigrants and other immigrant communities is that the other immigrant populations are very small. Latino immigrant populations are large enough to take over entire cities.

by Anonymousreply 82July 19, 2019 1:54 AM

[quote] The difference between Latino immigrants and other immigrant communities is that the other immigrant populations are very small. Latino immigrant populations are large enough to take over entire cities.

Fugeddabouit.

by Anonymousreply 83July 19, 2019 1:57 AM

[quote]FAMILY is everything , then civic duty is somewhere down the list

Family values, in other words? Political scientists say Latinos would vote overwhelmingly Republican (they also have a strong work ethic and high rates of church attendance) if they weren't always being demonized by the Republican Party.

Incidentally, when you call them all "Mexicans" (like R64 does) you're just demonstrating that you deal in stereotypes. Lots of Latinos aren't from Mexico.

by Anonymousreply 84July 19, 2019 1:58 AM

As a Mexican- American the difference between us and every other immigrant group b4 us is that we have visited our "mother country". As children we visited where we came from, visited relatives. Understood our culture, where we come from and don't really need to assimilate that much into gringo culture. My nieces and nephews while American born have visited visited Mexico 3 times already in their lifetimes. We don't need to go back to Mexico, hell we bring Mexico with us.

by Anonymousreply 85July 19, 2019 2:17 AM

"hell we bring Mexico with us"

This is exactly what many Americans don't want.

by Anonymousreply 86July 19, 2019 2:21 AM

Jesus Christ, Latinos get demonized as rapists and MS13 (a gang originating in the Pico-Union area of Los Angeles) monsters, and then also as horrible people who put their family first. Family Values for white people only, eh? It is true that a family's hopes for their children is a prime mover with all immigrant groups - especially Latinos and Asians. Recent research, by the way, documents that "social mobility" is accomplished more by Mexican immigrants than any other group. (Often the ascension measured from very low on the socio-economic ladder). Also, net migration stats show more Mexicans are returning to Mexico than coming here.

And newsflash, there are white people who break the law, often for personal financial gain or for funding a habit.

Teenagers used to work 6 days a week, 12 hours a day in the fields near Fresno? Teenagers used to work 40 hours a week, 12 months a year rendering chicken carcasses in Rogers, Arkansas? Teenagers used to compose a construction crew anywhere? No, maybe a seasonal part time hod carrier, but not a journeyman carpenter. Much, much, much more worrisome than "immigrants are taking our jobs" is the reality that robotics/AI is on the verge of destroying 60% of current jobs IN THE NEXT DECADE, and we aren't even talking about it. Trump's manufacturing boondoggle, and shell game "tariffs will protect us" not only don't address this crisis, it distracts.

We need comprehensive immigration reform. We need a whole new workforce policy. If we don't get rid of Trump in 2020 we'll get neither of those.

by Anonymousreply 87July 19, 2019 2:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!