Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kennedy Center Honors 2019

Good list this time around!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99July 28, 2019 3:48 AM

It’ll be a great ceremony with the Sesame Street crew there.

Hasn’t Linda Ronstadt been ill for a long time?

by Anonymousreply 1July 18, 2019 4:20 PM

[quote] singer Linda Ronstadt

Hasn’t Linda Ronstadt been inducted several times already?

by Anonymousreply 2July 18, 2019 4:24 PM

Linda has been waiting to be honored for a long, long time.

by Anonymousreply 3July 18, 2019 4:26 PM

A national disgrace:

Still no Liza Minnelli and Johnny Mathis.

by Anonymousreply 4July 18, 2019 6:54 PM

No Betty White. More deserving than anyone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 18, 2019 7:43 PM

Why do they keep snubbing her? 😣

by Anonymousreply 6July 19, 2019 2:57 AM

Now it's too late for Doris Day.

by Anonymousreply 7July 19, 2019 3:14 AM

Last year was better: Reba and Cher.

by Anonymousreply 8July 19, 2019 3:21 AM

I haven't received a phone call yet, but I'm sure it's coming.

by Anonymousreply 9July 19, 2019 3:37 AM

Someone should take his old spot retroactively.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 19, 2019 3:59 AM

Liza was rudely overlooked again. Damn shame.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 19, 2019 4:05 AM

Johnny Mathis was rudely overlooked again. Damn shame.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 19, 2019 4:08 AM

Neither of them deserves the recognition.

by Anonymousreply 13July 19, 2019 4:43 AM

Least of all you, LL Cool J.

by Anonymousreply 14July 19, 2019 5:37 AM

Suck it, bitch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 19, 2019 12:20 PM

I really like this list!

I cried when Jim Henson died. Sesame Street has made a difference with so many children. It's nice to see. I really like Sally Field, hope she doesn't get screechy. And I love Linda Ronstadt. I wonder if she will be able to attend?

I guess Trump will stay home again. And they won't get the White House Reception. But it is a thrilling night.

by Anonymousreply 16July 19, 2019 12:41 PM

Who did Betty White piss off.?

by Anonymousreply 17July 19, 2019 5:52 PM

Linda already got a National Medal of Arts award from Obama. Now she needs to be part of Kennedy Center Honors? Honestly, she didn't even have that many hits.

R17 I agree - Betty White should have been on the list by now. She's a national treasure.

by Anonymousreply 18July 19, 2019 11:48 PM

[quote] Honestly, she didn't even have that many hits.

20 top 40 hits, 10 of them top 10, also 10 top 10 country hits, over 3 decades, dispute that statement.

by Anonymousreply 19July 20, 2019 12:10 AM

Lot's of artists have 20 top 40 hits and they haven't received this honor. Betty White should be honored before Linda.

by Anonymousreply 20July 20, 2019 12:12 AM

And Bea Arthur should have gotten in LONG ago.

by Anonymousreply 21July 20, 2019 12:20 AM

You cannot get one if you are not able - or unwilling - to attend. So Betty White must be too infirm to go. And Liza, who knows. I hope she's okay. No one on the planet deserves it more than she does. Once-in-a-generation performer, no doubt.

Also Bette Midler should certainly get one soon.

by Anonymousreply 22July 20, 2019 12:33 AM

Linda Ronstadt was before my time and she never really carried over to my generation. Most people my age don't really know who she is.

by Anonymousreply 23July 20, 2019 12:49 AM

Liza was at Melissa Manchester's show in NYC a couple of weeks back with Billy Stritch. She's fine, she's just retired.

Linda can't stand or sit upright for too long now because of her Parkinson's. But she did show up to Dolly's musicares ceremony a couple of months back.

by Anonymousreply 24July 20, 2019 1:03 AM

Liza has major mobility issues. She can barely walk unassisted.

by Anonymousreply 25July 20, 2019 1:13 AM

Faye Dunaway deserves one of these. Same for Diahann Carroll.

by Anonymousreply 26July 20, 2019 1:16 AM

I know of Linda. Don't know any of her songs off the top of my head. And I love 70's music. Earth, Wind & Fire? Really? Wow.

Love Sally and Sesame Street, however.

by Anonymousreply 27July 20, 2019 1:45 AM

Sally Struthers? It's about time!

by Anonymousreply 28July 20, 2019 1:46 AM

For the most part, I'm happy with the selections, but again, what about Johnny Mathis and Liza?!? I'll include a link to submit nominations. Please submit yours, seriously. DL, let's make a difference.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 20, 2019 1:51 AM

For those of you who don't know Linda Ronstadt, I hope you'll take a few minutes from your schedule.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30July 20, 2019 1:52 AM

The video I posted at R30 has one of her greatest performances at around the 15:00 mark. Her recording of "That's Easy for You to Say" is the definitive recording of that song, but it's nearly unavailable. Yeah, I know I'm a fan (not a gurl, though, so don't go after me for that).

by Anonymousreply 31July 20, 2019 2:27 AM

Betty White, while certainly a beloved icon and with great career length, is not deserving. Lots of people have received the honor that don’t deserve it but that doesn’t mean Betty ought to get one. The argument for Liza I’m a little more receptive for. She is an icon based on her performances, not her longevity.

by Anonymousreply 32July 20, 2019 2:46 AM

Liza, for your consideration.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 20, 2019 2:49 AM

R33, you’re not helping the argument. That, literally, was the worst performance of that entire concert.

by Anonymousreply 34July 20, 2019 2:52 AM

R34, I'm not a theatre critic. Liza has an impact beyond Broadway. She's an icon even in the Rock community. There is no one who doesn't know her and acknowledge her.

by Anonymousreply 35July 20, 2019 2:59 AM

Seriously? Who gives a fuck anymore?

by Anonymousreply 36July 20, 2019 3:03 AM

Glad For Linda, glad no fucking Rappers were stupidly awarded this year

by Anonymousreply 37July 20, 2019 3:23 AM

Let's see if Dolly and Emmylou Harris perform for Linda.

by Anonymousreply 38July 20, 2019 3:37 AM

Linda Ronstadt and Sally Field have always reminded me of each other, especially their speaking voices and faces. It can't be a coincidence they're being honored on the same night. One person, multiple personalities. Watch, "Linda" will stay home sick and "Sally" will be forced to fuck the Eagles again.

by Anonymousreply 39July 20, 2019 3:53 AM

For R39.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 20, 2019 5:01 AM

With Sally Field, they'll show clips from The Flying Nun, Gidget, Smokey and the Bandit, and Stay Hungry - by which time the audience will be thinking to themselves, "why are we honoring this woman, again?"

by Anonymousreply 41July 20, 2019 7:02 AM

Robin Quivers

by Anonymousreply 42July 20, 2019 7:17 AM

Betty White was a pioneer for women in television.

Betty Marion White Ludden (born January 17, 1922)[ is an American actress and comedian, with the longest television career of any entertainer, spanning 80 years. Regarded as a pioneer of television, she is one of the first women to have control both in front of and behind the camera and is recognized as the first woman to produce a sitcom (Life with Elizabeth), which contributed to her receiving the honorary title Mayor of Hollywood in 1955.

She has received eight Emmy Awards in various categories, three American Comedy Awards, three Screen Actors Guild Awards, and a Grammy Award. She also has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, is a Television Hall of Fame inductee (class of 1995), and a Disney Legend (class of 2009).

And how does Liza compare?

by Anonymousreply 43July 20, 2019 12:25 PM

It goes without saying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44July 20, 2019 1:11 PM

Betty's reaction to being passed over again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45July 20, 2019 1:13 PM

LL Cool J's induction remains the most mind boggling of any, swiftly followed by Gloria Estefan and the creators of Hamilton.

by Anonymousreply 46July 20, 2019 1:20 PM

The only artful thing in The Kennedy Center is the lighting. Massive Orrefors chandeliers, but not very Amurhcan.

by Anonymousreply 47July 20, 2019 1:25 PM

What r26 said about Dunaway.

Bonnie and Clyde, Chinatown, Network; those three iconic films alone exceed the productive and acting output of Beatty and Hoffman, both of whom have a KCH.

Too bad she won't embrace "Mommie Dearest". Maybe if she would, the committee would name her. I've surmised that maybe they have considered her but they can't think of how to approach, during her presentation, MD.

by Anonymousreply 48July 20, 2019 1:27 PM

Once they turned the program into an entertainment program rather than a prestigious honor for lifetime achievement, the undeserving inductees started appearing.

by Anonymousreply 49July 20, 2019 2:18 PM

Dammit! I even sent each board member a crate of Helenesque!

by Anonymousreply 50July 20, 2019 2:23 PM

[R47]That one incredible chandelier was a gift from Ireland.

by Anonymousreply 51July 20, 2019 3:27 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52July 20, 2019 7:26 PM

R51 Thank you for the reminder. I had forgotten that all the loot was gifts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53July 20, 2019 7:38 PM

The show is no longer worth watching. I didn't watch Cher and Reba either. (But Kelly C killed Fancy) It's supposed to be about significant artistic achievement and lasting contribution to the culture. There are not many FAMOUS people who fit that description anymore. But plenty deserving. Leonard Cohen and Neil Young, Fleetwood Mac, Joni Mitchell, Annie Lennox - never? Not even Judy Collins. Ronstadt is more deserving than who - what a dull old bitch she is. She only did one thing, long before my time and no one even remembers her music. She didn't write, she didn't act or do films, she wasn't great on stage. What the fuck? I agree that Liza, Mathis and Shirley Bassey are far more deserving. I know for a fact that Midler is waiting for a real president in the box. The great and very active Desmond Richardson should be honored but they don't give it to visionaries and dancers anymore, do they? I guess they felt the most UNDESERVING Cher kind of covered all the bases. She does everything with equal mediocrity. What a mess this is.

Sally Fucking Field? Why the fuck not. She was good in a few films. Very good. But she's not important in any way to culture and how in the fuck do you pay tribute to her boring life? Tom Hanks got it so I get it. The honor is meaningless. Not as prestigious as the AFI or Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Betty White isn't talented, what the fuck? Honor Suzanne Somers while you're at it.

Dancers, opera singers, classical musicians and choreographers will never be seen on this telecast again. Why not Twyla Tharp?

I am not even 50 yet but the only truly deserving people I can think of are Bette Midler, Desmond Richardson, Stevie Nicks and Audra McDonald.

by Anonymousreply 54July 21, 2019 4:51 AM

Liza

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55July 21, 2019 4:59 AM

Johnny. He's beautiful, incredibly talented and gay. He's the only man my BF gives me a pass for.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56July 21, 2019 5:06 AM

Your "boyfriend" gives you a pass for 90 year old Johnny Mathis? What a night that will be.

by Anonymousreply 57July 21, 2019 5:09 AM

Toni Morrison has never received the Kennedy Center Honor, believe it or not. That's pretty amazing.

by Anonymousreply 58July 21, 2019 5:14 AM

Oh wait authors don't qualify, do they? Never mind.

by Anonymousreply 59July 21, 2019 5:14 AM

R57, I'm a polite person (most of the time) so I'll respond politely. I'm in my late 50s. So is my BF. I'm very well aware of Johnny's age. He was much younger when we were much younger. My BF showed, early on, that he was quite jealous. We started seeing each other when we were in our early 20s. We were young gaylings, and very full of ourselves. But the one person my BF let me admire was Johnny Mathis, since he admired him, too. He hated my interest in every other famous man from that time period, but could never say a word about Johnny Mathis. He still can't. I talked to him a few days ago, and he agreed it was a travesty that Johnny wasn't nominated for an honor.

by Anonymousreply 60July 21, 2019 5:30 AM

Gaylings? For your consideration - Linda Ronstadt? Liza was an influence on rock music? Jesus christ gramps don't be polite. You are either very drunk or living in a fantasy. Anyone who loves Linda Ronstadt has terrible taste and a tendency to cry easily. I guess Mathis was handsome in a pouffy kind of way before I was born. I am 47. Your BF talked to you a few days ago? Is he someone in your head?

by Anonymousreply 61July 21, 2019 5:40 AM

Alright, I'm sorry R61. For you and your beaux.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62July 21, 2019 6:04 AM

R61 ,R62, I dont't understand your interest in pitching a fight with me. If you don't like Johnny Matthis, then fuck off. I like him.

by Anonymousreply 63July 21, 2019 6:18 AM

I love Johnny Mathis. Now that is true R63. But please don't try to fuck him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64July 21, 2019 6:26 AM

R64,Thank you. That was gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 65July 21, 2019 6:54 AM

You're welcome. Johnny was a great singer with a beautiful voice. Back then - he was sexy too. I apologize.

by Anonymousreply 66July 21, 2019 7:12 AM

Johnny Mathis is the epitome of class.

by Anonymousreply 67July 21, 2019 3:31 PM

This thread is hilarious. The Johnny Mathis stuff is becoming a DL classic and the post about Toni Morrison sealed the deal. Love you boys.

by Anonymousreply 68July 21, 2019 7:36 PM

Goldie Hawn, Tug McGraw, Jane Fonda, Gene Hackman, Hal Holbrook

by Anonymousreply 69July 21, 2019 7:49 PM

R33 / R55. Thank you. Liza is sensational and deserves a Kennedy Center Honor more than anyone. She is a national treasure and is an entertainer extraordinaire. She transcends Broadway, concerts, movies. She can do it all. And it's long overdue that she be recognized. What is wrong with the Kennedy Center committee? They're a disgrace.

by Anonymousreply 70July 21, 2019 9:14 PM

[quote]Ronstadt is more deserving than who - what a dull old bitch she is. She only did one thing, long before my time and no one even remembers her music. She didn't write, she didn't act or do films, she wasn't great on stage. What the fuck?

Linda Ronstadt's a fantastic singer who succeeded in singing practically every major genre of music. She was also highly influential and well regarded among her peers. She was considered the Ella Fitzgerald or Billie Holliday of rock music in the 70's. She also had a span of fifteen years where every record was certified gold or platinum.

Liza and Shirley Bassey are great entertainers, but neither have left their imprint on recorded music they way Linda has. And that's putting it nicely.

by Anonymousreply 71July 21, 2019 9:41 PM

Art is subjective.

by Anonymousreply 72July 21, 2019 10:56 PM

[quote] Betty White, while certainly a beloved icon and with great career length, is not deserving.

Betty White is the literal fucking definition of someone who should get this award. She's had a long career in TV and is a cornerstone of American culture.

She's one of the few actors over 70 and from the era of Bob Hope, etc. that people under 30 know and love.

by Anonymousreply 73July 21, 2019 11:01 PM

[quote] Liza and Shirley Bassey are great entertainers, but neither have left their imprint on recorded music they way Linda has. And that's putting it nicely.

Linda certainly deserves this award, but that might be overstating Linda's impact/importance a wee bit.

by Anonymousreply 74July 21, 2019 11:02 PM

Damn it. Another year with no Bernadette. She is most deserving.

by Anonymousreply 75July 21, 2019 11:04 PM

John Waters?

by Anonymousreply 76July 21, 2019 11:13 PM

An interesting list (from before this year's announcement)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77July 21, 2019 11:18 PM

R43, Actually, it's Betty Marion White Barker Allen Ludden.

by Anonymousreply 78July 21, 2019 11:25 PM

I also agree with the nomination for Jane Fonda. We have a nice current thread about her best performances. She seems to tackle any genre with ease.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79July 21, 2019 11:28 PM

I think in general the KCH tends to stick to the middle of the road types.

They haven't been great with people of color unless in an academic sense or in one of the arts where popular culture isn't really the guiding force.

Jane Fonda may be deemed too controversial due to her political past. Whereas Sally Field was apparently the right mix of woke but middle of the road.

Who knows what their yardstick is? Not clear to any of us in the cheap seats.

by Anonymousreply 80July 21, 2019 11:55 PM

[quote]Liza and Shirley Bassey are great entertainers, but neither have left their imprint on recorded music they way Linda has. And that's putting it nicely.

R71. Stop. Liza Minnelli is the very definition of leaving her imprint. Liza Minnelli is Cabaret, a landmark movie in American film history. And she won the Academy Award for Best Actress. She has also won multiple Tony Awards. In fact, just about every show in which she has starred has been a huge hit. She has had record-breaking concerts. She represents a legacy of two of the most famous stars from Hollywood's Golden Era (Judy Garland and Vincent Minnelli)--and she had enormous success on her own aside from her parents She own the song "New York, New York," which was written for her. "Liza With a Z" remains a definitive concert performance which came very early in her entertainment career.

What else do you want? Liza Minnelli is an outstanding artist and should be recognized. I can't really go on about Shirley Bassey's career since I don't know all of her highlights. However, her rendition of "Goldfinger," helped to define an entire genre of movies and movie themes.

by Anonymousreply 81July 22, 2019 12:04 AM

Jane Fonda will never get a Kennedy Center Honor. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 82July 22, 2019 12:10 AM

R81 In terms of RECORDED music. She doesn't have a catalogue that's remotely comparable to Streisand, Ross, Ronstadt, Aretha Franklin. Her talents were never utilized to any great degree on record. She's a great live entertainer who made an impact, but if you're gonna bitch about Linda's "Lack of acting" (?!) then you could say similar about Liza's lack of substantial recorded output.

[quote]However, her rendition of "Goldfinger," helped to define an entire genre of movies and movie themes.

Shirley Bassey had one top forty hit in the US. She's a big star in Europe, but is largely unknown here. Kennedy Center Honors is US centric. She ain't getting in, and with good reason. You could make a better case for Lulu or Petula Clark.

by Anonymousreply 83July 22, 2019 12:17 AM

Liza > Betty

by Anonymousreply 84July 22, 2019 12:19 AM

If they can give it to Chita Rivera and Barbara Cook they can fucking give it to Liza. Rivera and Cook are/were hardly household names to most of America. Everybody knows who Liza is.

by Anonymousreply 85July 22, 2019 12:30 AM

R83. The Kennedy Center Honors are not given only to those who excelled in recorded music. The Honors are to recognize those who have demonstrated excellence in the arts, culture and entertainment. I am not arguing whether or not Linda Ronstadt is better than Liza Minnelli or vice versa. I simply saying that Liza has made her mark on arts and entertainment and American culture and deserves to be recognized.

As for Shirley Bassey, she has not been overlooked as Liza has. Bassey has has an illustrious career, but maybe one not worthy of a Kennedy Center Honor. She is also a British citizen, so I don't know if that disqualifies her for a Kennedy Center Honor. The entire point of my response was to make a case that Liza Minnelli has earned her place given her outstanding contribution to American arts and culture and the entire entertainment industry and deserves a Kennedy Center Honor despite anyone else who may also be a worthy recipient.

by Anonymousreply 86July 22, 2019 12:48 AM

Ronstadt is a has been and was before she became. I wouldn't have thought about Liza or Mathis, but both are, if nothing else, more iconic than Ronstadt. And Sally Field? Plenty of actresses, I'm sure . Among her generational peers, the much more versatile Cissy Spacek hasn't been honored.

by Anonymousreply 87July 22, 2019 1:01 AM

Well if they spelled her name right, she could easily be honored.

by Anonymousreply 88July 22, 2019 1:07 AM

Give Liza an Honor! Goddammit, what criteria does the Kennedy Center committee use? Seems rather random to select the nominees.

by Anonymousreply 89July 22, 2019 1:18 AM

We don't know who has declined the honor(s). Doris Day did several times.

by Anonymousreply 90July 22, 2019 1:26 AM

Until Donna Pescow is awarded the honor is meaningless.

by Anonymousreply 91July 22, 2019 1:28 AM

Liza

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92July 22, 2019 1:31 AM

Word is that it was neck and neck this year between Sally Field and Suzanne Somers.

by Anonymousreply 93July 22, 2019 8:34 AM

Will the Trumps attend this year?

by Anonymousreply 94July 22, 2019 8:37 AM

[quote]Why not Twyla Tharp?

2008 honoree

by Anonymousreply 95July 22, 2019 10:15 AM

^ Wasn't that kind of the point? You'll never see someone like Twyla Tharp honored again at KC. Not after Cher, Billy Joel and LL Cool J were deemed worthy. That fucking world has gone madly mainstream. The tributes might be enjoyable but the honor is virtually meaningless now.

by Anonymousreply 96July 26, 2019 5:40 AM

R92. Liza was brilliant performing "Mein Herr" from "Cabaret."

by Anonymousreply 97July 26, 2019 8:16 AM

Shirley Bassey isn't American and doesn't have much to do with the USA and probably had never lived here. Why is anyone going on about her?

by Anonymousreply 98July 26, 2019 10:27 AM

I'm a daft idiot, but I can still post to DL if I post to favorites.

by Anonymousreply 99July 28, 2019 3:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!