Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Trivial things you nonetheless find pretentious

I think it's pretentious when people use this style to write dates: 7.18.19

by Anonymousreply 5July 18, 2019 4:39 PM

Pronouncing vase with the short vowel sound. I know someone with a mob style Long Island accent that does this.

by Anonymousreply 1July 18, 2019 3:45 PM

Crossing 7s.

by Anonymousreply 2July 18, 2019 3:50 PM

People who still say “best wishes” to women instead of “congratulations” at engagements and weddings because of the antiquated etiquette rule. Some people seem more concerned with showing their knowledge of the rules of etiquette and less concerned with the purpose of good manners (ensuring the comfort of other people). Miss Manners is always good on the topic of jettisoning old rules that don’t fit anymore.

by Anonymousreply 3July 18, 2019 3:53 PM

[quote]Miss Manners is always good on the topic of jettisoning old rules that don’t fit anymore.

Funny, I was thinking of Miss Manners when R1 posted about the pronunciation of vase. In response to a Gentle Reader, she said that it's pronounced vawse when it's filled with dawsies.

by Anonymousreply 4July 18, 2019 4:35 PM

Crossing 7's comes from computer programming back in the dark ages.

by Anonymousreply 5July 18, 2019 4:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!