Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Acting/Voice classes for nonactors?

I'm a writer who wants to take a class to learn some acting techniques. Sometimes I'm at a mic to read something I've written, and I'll need to do a recording of my book soon, but more than that, I think acting techniques are fascinating and I bet they'd free me up.

Any recommendations on NY classes, studios, or methods for people who don't intend to go out on auditions? So far I'm considering Linklater, HB Studio, Michael Howard, Barrow Group. I see Feldenkrais mentioned in some voice training courses.

Thanks for any class recommendations.

by Anonymousreply 13July 19, 2019 7:20 PM

What you have is a mixed bag that is somewhat apples and oranges.

Some of what you are listing are techniques, some are schools. The two techniques you mention are not acting techniques. Linklater is primarily a voice production technique (abiet one tailored to the needs of actors). Feldenkreis is a physical/brain patterning technique that is often taught to actors, but is not specifically related to acting.

All of this is confusing as you look through the marketing these organizations put out. What may help is to know what kind of help you want.

If you are concerned about using your voice, a good voice technique class can help. However, voice work takes time to "set." Linklater is good for relaxing and finding a connection between the voice and body. And the exercises are fun. Vocal work ultimately has a big impact on your daily life, but it is not a quick fix.

I have never done Feldenkrais, but a friend once told me it did everything for her that she expected (but never got) from yoga.

A good acting class in most techniques will help you understand human behavior. Stanislavski-based work (which is most of what you will find) provides a great schema for understanding how people interact. The best will help free you from perceptual habits so that you can see things around you in a different way..

There is a lot of bad improv training out there, but at its best improv techniques teach you how to recognize impulses and follow them. A good improv class can also free you from learned patterns.

I think the best thing to do is just jump in. If the class is great for you--terrific! If it is just good, then your classmates can probably help steer you toward something that would be a better fit.

by Anonymousreply 1July 18, 2019 1:02 PM

Also, the voice and body training I got as an actor helped me through illness and injury. It made it possible for me to work long hours when needed. It helped me make a terminally ill parent more comfortable. It also made me grow taller.

The acting training required close mentorship which made me develop discipline and good work habits. It taught me how to set goals and work toward them. Most college programs provide information. Acting training gave me one-on-one instruction in how to use information.

I eventually started my own business completely separate from acting. But the actor training gave me the tools to make that business a success. And it taught me a lot of life skill that I see lacking in other.

by Anonymousreply 2July 18, 2019 1:13 PM

That;s very interesting R1/R2 -- I've always been curious to take an acting or improv class because I need to do a lot of presentations in front of big groups and because it always seemed like fun.

Are there any specific improv or acting classes in NYC you'd either recommend or suggest that we stay clear of?

I know improv is one of those "it's for everyone!" things, but do acting teachers mind if you're not planning to be a professional actor (and, for that matter, if you're not 21 and just starting out.)

Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 3July 18, 2019 1:20 PM

I am out of NYC now, so I do not have specific recommendations. I think though, that when you are just beginning ANY class not run by an asshole is going to help you. Figuring out which teachers and techniques work for you specifically is something that comes later. Its like swimming--you do not need a great teacher to learn how to stay afloat and propel forward. Its later when you do the fancier stuff that you need a more highly skilled teacher.

The acting teachers that I know do not really care what your ambitions are. As two of them keep telling me, it is often the people who do not want to be professional actors who do more interesting work--and are more interesting people. As long as you put in the work in class they are fine.

by Anonymousreply 4July 18, 2019 1:35 PM

Sounds good R4, thanks!

by Anonymousreply 5July 18, 2019 3:02 PM

Wow, thank you R1/R2. That is so thorough an answer. I appreciate it. Yes, I will pick one and go for it. Feldenkreis has come up a few times recently: in yoga class, in tai chi class, and in a book about trauma.

I read another book about how therapy benefits from acting techniques, written by a very beautiful gay man. I recommend the book (The Performing Art of Therapy, Mark O'Connell). I guess I'm interested in the civilian version of that since the book was aimed at therapists.

by Anonymousreply 6July 18, 2019 3:54 PM

Experts, post more information! Are there any worthy YouTube tutorials for self-practice?

by Anonymousreply 7July 18, 2019 9:25 PM

R7, no.

Some things can only be passed down from hand to hand. No youtube tutorials for glassblowing or acting.

by Anonymousreply 8July 18, 2019 9:33 PM

My Fair Lady is a good resource.

by Anonymousreply 9July 18, 2019 9:35 PM

I watched my friend "invent" acting classes. She was saying that she liked the idea of improv but why did it have to be comedy, all that forced funny; why can't there be an improv drama?

Some good advice above. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 10July 19, 2019 11:58 AM

When improv started back in the 50s drama was included. But I suspect it withered away because the impact of comedy is seeing impulse and appetite in action. Drama is more about impulses and appetites withheld or redirected, which is not what improv does best.

by Anonymousreply 11July 19, 2019 12:42 PM

Thank you, r8. I'd like to improve my speech, and self-practice has only gotten me but so far. I think I'll invest in the services of a good vocal/acting coach. I simply want to sound better when conversing with people.

by Anonymousreply 12July 19, 2019 4:44 PM

Lynn Singers Voiceworks was interesting and helpful. She’s a little wacky - but aren’t all actors.

by Anonymousreply 13July 19, 2019 7:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!