Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Finally a the Ebola outbreak in the Congo is getting some attention

The situation in the DRC is perfect storm for an epidemic: civil unrest, weak or non-existent medical infrastructure, dense, mobile population, lack of resources at all levels and a low information environment prone to rumour and lack of trust in government.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 18, 2019 4:18 PM

So? Ebola is endemic to Congo, what's news about it? It will come and it will go. It's like saying there is Malaria in tropical areas. Yep, that's the way it's been for centuries.

by Anonymousreply 1July 18, 2019 11:43 AM

This needs our attention, why?

We have our own problems.

Trump tweeted something that could be construed as racist/sexist/homophobic this morning.

by Anonymousreply 2July 18, 2019 11:52 AM

Really couldn't give a flying fuck as long as they keep it within their borders.

One of the richest countries in Africa with trillions in minerals, but run by a bunch of corrupt murdering cannibalistic thugs.

Sorry for the poor, but I have other things on my mind.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 18, 2019 11:57 AM

I would love to see a reappearance of that complete loon “ELEOP” from a few years ago the last time there was an Ebola outbreak in the news. He would prattle on endlessly about how this was most certainly going to be the end of the human species (i.e. extinction-level event OP).

by Anonymousreply 4July 18, 2019 12:04 PM

R1, R2, R3 - I don't know where you live but have you ever heard about airplanes?

You know, when you look up from whatever cave you're living in and see those little things in the sky with the clouds behind them? Yeah, those.

Those things fly people places like Africa to, let's say London, Paris, New York, Miami and LA.

And the more people with a disease, the more likely one of those people will fly to a city near you.

Christ, how can people be so fucking provincial in a globalized world?

by Anonymousreply 5July 18, 2019 12:04 PM

I watched a news piece about it last night. One village they visited supposedly didn’t believe Ebola was real. Then I watched another piece about Cameroon and the Anglophone separatists. Africa is a fucked up place.

I remember thinking smart phones and the internet would be a civilizing force, but it turns out backwards people (the world over, not just Africa) just use those things to record and share themselves doing terribly uncivilized things.

I think we should cut off aid to these countries until good leaders step up.

by Anonymousreply 6July 18, 2019 12:27 PM

Just leave them alone, they don't want outside help. One wrong move and they will sue your ass off for trying to modernize their continent!

by Anonymousreply 7July 18, 2019 12:38 PM

Seems to me that description in OP's thread of the Congo could easily describe the current situation in the US now. Esp. the 'not trusting the government' part. Let he who is without sin, etc.

by Anonymousreply 8July 18, 2019 2:34 PM

So weird, I always thought Ebola is the most dangerous virus out there, but it doesn't seem to "travel" and is always limited to Africa. Guess the transmission route via contact/liquid only saved us.

by Anonymousreply 9July 18, 2019 3:13 PM

No, the only thing that has "saved us" is luck.

There is nothing inherent in the epidemiology of the virus that makes it impossible to be transmitted outside of Africa.

by Anonymousreply 10July 18, 2019 4:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!