Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Was Ronald Reagan predicted to beat Jimmy Carter going into the election?

If so how far in advance did he pull ahead in the polls.

by Anonymousreply 6July 18, 2019 8:18 AM

No. We expected a close race. They called it for Reagan in like ten minutes.

by Anonymousreply 1July 18, 2019 6:00 AM

Carter was far out in front, till the conventions, when he fell behind. Before the conventions there was serious talk about having Gerald Ford run as VP with Reagan to boost Reagan.

But by September Reagan was well out in front and things only went downhill for Carter afterward.

by Anonymousreply 2July 18, 2019 6:11 AM

[quote] Before the conventions there was serious talk about having Gerald Ford run as VP with Reagan to boost Reagan.

That "serious talk" entirely was coming from the Ford camp. His proposition was he as VP would rule while Reagan reigned as ceremonial president. Reagan shrugged this off and thereafter ignored Ford. Pat Caddell as Carter's pollster later said they expected to lose but it was only early in the final day they saw what a humiliating landslide it was going to be.

by Anonymousreply 3July 18, 2019 6:36 AM

I was too young for Reagan's election but my mother calls Trump "Rude Reagan" and "Crude Reagan" because she sees a lot of similarities in how media viewed Reagan as aggressive but impossibly stupid (well, he was a C-movie star) and were shocked when he won. I should add she's a conservative who voted for Reagan but not for Trump, although she plans to vote for Rude Crude (what I call him to her) in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 4July 18, 2019 6:44 AM

I should add, she lives in NYC, so I'm not terribly worried about her vote making any difference and just laugh.

by Anonymousreply 5July 18, 2019 6:46 AM

I don't know what the predictions were, but Carter was widely disliked for his preachy Baptist demeanor and general incompetence as president.

by Anonymousreply 6July 18, 2019 8:18 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!