Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Death to pennies!

Yes, I mean it, too!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 20, 2019 9:07 PM

Ain't happening.

by Anonymousreply 1July 18, 2019 4:56 AM

I have an old Canada penny. the US Post Office employee told me they can be used as they were US pennies because they're no longer in circulation in Canada. So I try using it as legal tender and a store cashier said "uh uh."

by Anonymousreply 2July 18, 2019 5:00 AM

Surely you don't mean that, OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 18, 2019 5:02 AM

Take the nickel out too and get rid of the decimal place.

by Anonymousreply 4July 18, 2019 5:06 AM

Let's just all use Facebook Money!

by Anonymousreply 5July 18, 2019 5:20 AM

When Canada withdrew the penny MaClean's Magazine (sort of the Time magazine for Canada) did a spot check in Montreal, Vancouver and Toronto, so see if retailers were rounding correctly? Nope. In all three cities retailers consistently did not follow the rules and rounded to their favor.

Added to this, retailers, after the penny was withdrawn, were shown to adjust prices just enough so the legitimate rounding would come out in their favor.

by Anonymousreply 6July 18, 2019 5:58 AM

Penny-wise and pound-foolish

by Anonymousreply 7July 18, 2019 6:52 AM

I would favor getting rid of the penny on one condition. All transactions are rounded up and the extra pennies go to cancer research and if the day ever comes when cancer is cured, then a new disease is designated as the beneficiary.

by Anonymousreply 8July 18, 2019 8:16 AM

Eliminate the penny.

Use the penny-section in the cash register for dollar coins.

Eliminate the dollar bill.

Use the dollar bill section of the cash register for two dollar bills.

Then we’ll need to redesign wallets so that they contain a coin-holding section. Either that, or start making coin purses to match existing paper money wallets.

Vending machines will need to be modified to take two dollar bills and dollar coins.

Finally, we need to study the elimination of the two dollar bill and creation of a two dollar coin. Also, the elimination of the nickel coin.

by Anonymousreply 9July 18, 2019 3:05 PM

Then what reason will women have to hold up lines in stores?

"I know I have a penny in here somewhere. Connor, damn it, stop hitting Madysn. Now let's see, phone, lipstick, compact, sanitary napkin, Connor, I said stop and I mean stop!. Hold on, I'll find that penny. Sorry, I'll just dig a bit deeper."

It is a fact that those "give a penny/take a penny" trays at stores were specifically created because women hold up lines trying to dig one penny out of their purse.

by Anonymousreply 10July 18, 2019 3:10 PM

Historically, the dollar coin, half-dollar, quarter, and dime were all made out of silver. Not pure silver, though, because pure silver wears too quickly. The half-dollar was half the size of the dollar coin. The quarter was a quarter size of the dollar coin. The dime was a tenth the size of the dollar coin. The nickel and penny were not made of silver, so their sizes are not proportional.

You’ll also note that the silver coins have serrated edges. That is so that you can tell is someone has shaved silver off the edges of those coins.

by Anonymousreply 11July 18, 2019 3:13 PM

Here are a set of 2011 coins. $1 silver; $50 Gold; and $100 platinum. They are not in general circulation because the metal value is higher than the face value. The metal value is about $55; $1200; and $1200, respectively.

The silver dollar coin is larger than the historical dollar coins that were once in circulation, because the current coin is 100% silver, and the coin that was in circulation was more like 90% silver and 10% other metals to make the coin less likely to wear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 18, 2019 3:20 PM

Oh, Canada!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 19, 2019 4:34 AM

I've always wondered why the nickel is twice the size of the dime when it's worth half as much, it bucks the coin progression scale.

by Anonymousreply 14July 19, 2019 9:18 AM

The United States has never minted a coin called a penny. It’s officially called a “cent” and always has been.

by Anonymousreply 15July 19, 2019 9:41 AM

r15 FUCK YOU

by Anonymousreply 16July 19, 2019 3:15 PM

The US used to hVe a half-cent coin. I don’t know when they stopped making them, but it was quite a while ago. I wonder how much in pennies is saved away in jars out there.

by Anonymousreply 17July 19, 2019 5:08 PM

This says the nickel is worth today, what a penny was worth in 1972, wow!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 19, 2019 5:13 PM

R4 has a point. In fact let’s get rid of dimes, too. Round register totals to the nearest quarter for cash transactions. That’s the smallest unit of value anyone actually cares about.

by Anonymousreply 19July 19, 2019 5:19 PM

I've been in the U.K. for nearly two months. I use Google Pay on my phone for everything that I buy. Sometimes the transaction is greater than what a shop will allow for Google Pay and I use my credit card in those cases.

Perhaps get rid of cash and coin altogether.

by Anonymousreply 20July 19, 2019 5:29 PM

Whores and drug dealers still need cash.

by Anonymousreply 21July 19, 2019 5:31 PM

If they need pennies, you’re seeing the wrong whores.

by Anonymousreply 22July 19, 2019 5:46 PM

We need both a dollar coin and a two-dollar coin. That's how it works (as seen in euros, pounds, Canadian dollars, etc.). No one wants too much change in their pocket. So eliminate pennies (maybe nickels, too).

by Anonymousreply 23July 19, 2019 6:42 PM

They are slowly being taken out of circulation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 19, 2019 6:52 PM

We could have a dollar coin and a five dollar coin. Two-dollar bills never caught on here.

by Anonymousreply 25July 19, 2019 6:53 PM

[quote]Two-dollar bills never caught on here.

Three dollar bills did, though.

Heyyyyyyy.

by Anonymousreply 26July 19, 2019 8:21 PM

Dyslexic Me first read this as "Death to Penises!"

by Anonymousreply 27July 19, 2019 8:51 PM

I think the biggest problem is Americans aren’t used to carrying coins nor paying with them. I already don’t have enough pockets for my phone, keys, and whatever else I might carry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 19, 2019 9:10 PM

But what about the penny candy?

by Anonymousreply 29July 19, 2019 9:13 PM

Penny candy costs a quarter now.

by Anonymousreply 30July 19, 2019 9:35 PM

They are quite literally trash to me. Too much trouble to bother trying to save them, I just throw them away.

by Anonymousreply 31July 19, 2019 10:26 PM

Quarter candy huh, just doesn’t have the same ring to it. Sounds like a fourth of something.

by Anonymousreply 32July 20, 2019 1:42 PM

[quote]The US used to hVe a half-cent coin. I don’t know when they stopped making them, but it was quite a while ago

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 20, 2019 1:54 PM

[quote]The US used to hVe a half-cent coin. I don’t know when they stopped making them, but it was quite a while ago

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 20, 2019 1:54 PM

We'll get rid of pennies and paper dollar bills the same time we adopt the metric system. In other words -- NEVER.

by Anonymousreply 35July 20, 2019 2:25 PM

R35 is right. The U.S. will be the last country (if ever) to eliminate currency if we can't even convert 100% to metric or Fahrenheit to Celsius. Why are we so backward?

By the way, a "friend" told me he paid for a whore using his credit card. From what I understand, because I honestly wasn't there, is the rent boy had an attachment to his cell phone to complete the transaction.

by Anonymousreply 36July 20, 2019 3:23 PM

Yup, there’s those and apps like Venmo and the like.

by Anonymousreply 37July 20, 2019 4:19 PM

[quote]Why are we so backward?

Simple answer: REPUBLICANS.

by Anonymousreply 38July 20, 2019 5:34 PM

[quote]The U.S. will be the last country (if ever) to eliminate currency if we can't even convert 100% to metric or Fahrenheit to Celsius. Why are we so backward?

The US uses metrics a lot. Manufacturing uses it all the time. In Britain a METRIC country, metric units still aren't common, as people use MPH, STONE and other old English measurements.

As for Fahrenheit it's more accurate than celsius and the range is more in line traditional thinking using percentages.

by Anonymousreply 39July 20, 2019 9:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!