Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I'm babysitting my nieces's kitten for a week.

He's driving me crazy. He tries to chew my cords and ran across the keyboard and changed my settings on my computer. I have to keep moving my glass because he tries to drink from it and right now I'm typing as he's partially draped across my keyboard.

Other than that he's really cute. Tries to suck on my earlobes and nuzzles under my chin.

by Anonymousreply 23July 19, 2019 3:24 PM

You will never find a more pure love. Enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 1July 18, 2019 4:49 AM

[quote]...and changed my settings on my computer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 18, 2019 4:51 AM

I thought this said "basting" (probably because I was reading the chicken salad thread)

by Anonymousreply 3July 18, 2019 4:51 AM

He was taken away from his mama too soon. You're his mama and his daddy this week. He already loves you.

by Anonymousreply 4July 18, 2019 4:52 AM

No basting of kittens going on at my house R3.

He ran off to wreak havok in another room. I changed my settings back.

You are right, R4. My niece adopted him through a work friend. He was a little found stray. He's very cuddly. I got him yesterday and my niece came by this morning to say goodbye before leaving on her trip and he yowled so sadly when she left. But he's doing well with me, he has his bed and all his toys. He's quite at home.

by Anonymousreply 5July 18, 2019 4:56 AM

^Wait until he puts his head on you and purrs himself to sleep. Ypu’ll never want to let him go.

by Anonymousreply 6July 18, 2019 5:00 AM

OP, you will go all Lagerfeld on baby cat!!

by Anonymousreply 7July 18, 2019 5:34 AM

Picture or it never happened.

by Anonymousreply 8July 18, 2019 6:06 AM

Cats are the best. My baby is very demanding. I call her Little Boss, like the broad on Little Women LA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 18, 2019 6:12 AM

Omg. I LOVE cats and dogs! I recently got a puppy and I can relate to your struggle. They can be so annoying, but then they do something cute and you remember all over again why you like them.

Enjoy this time. I’m sure your niece will appreciate it and might ask you again!!

by Anonymousreply 10July 18, 2019 6:14 AM

You should find an old homosexual cat, to act as the kitten's mothers. Shelters always use old, neutered, fat, homosexual cats as surrogates.

by Anonymousreply 11July 18, 2019 6:18 AM

I'm obsessed with this Koreann YouTuber and her seven cats. I have no cats, severely allergic.

One thing that would drive me up the wall would be having a cat constantly nibble at my utensils and food when I'm cooking. Who knows what they've been licking, what germs they have, and their dirty paws after using the litter box. I'm a mild germaphobe so while I find the idea of pets quite lovely, in reality I would not enjoy it at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 18, 2019 6:26 AM

He's lucky. The most important thing to the happy life of a cat (with humans) is that they get acclimated to people. And you do that by feeding, handling, grooming, etc.

It has to start very young. As soon as mama lets you. If they end-up skittish or fearful of humans, the prognosis is grim.

by Anonymousreply 13July 18, 2019 6:51 AM

Cats rarely get in mischief when they are being paid attention to, it is when you ignore them that they cause problems. Get off DL and play with the cat, they tire easily and will be off napping before you know it and then you can get back on DL.

by Anonymousreply 14July 18, 2019 8:19 AM

How do you know you won't roll over onto and smother the little kitten while sleeping? It needs a cage.

by Anonymousreply 15July 18, 2019 4:53 PM

Give him his own glass of water, he's thirsty. The licking your earlobes is nursing behavior, btw.

by Anonymousreply 16July 18, 2019 4:59 PM

Adorable

by Anonymousreply 17July 18, 2019 7:10 PM

Play this on your tv. You will have peace and quiet for a while and the kitten will learn to dance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 18, 2019 8:47 PM

Cute! My cat is about to turn 2. I remember all the havoc she caused when she was a kitten. I couldn't wait for her to grow up so she would start behaving, but now I kinda miss that time. She was so cute. Enjoy this time while it lasts, OP. They grow up so fast.

by Anonymousreply 19July 18, 2019 10:01 PM

Two words: Liquid Benadryl

by Anonymousreply 20July 19, 2019 12:57 AM

R7 I'll leave something for my niece, she can go all Lagerfield on the kitten with that, along with her own savings as I'm not so sure she'll reproduce.

R10, I'm already scheduled for a week in October.

R11, I have an older male cat that cat is neutered. He's not interested in males or females but he's very territorial thus the separation of felines.

R13, my niece has been doing that, as did his foster family. I continue the tradition, did so with my own older cat who is independent but loves to be handled.

R14 the kitten is getting a lot of attention. I'm retired (have a low stress part time job) and am home all week to care for him. My older cat is outside most of the day but when he comes in kitten goes into his room with a cat condo, his food, water, and toys. Mostly he’s out roaming around and sticking close to me. I play with him a lot. I haven't been on the computer much but I do read while he runs about. He also cuddled with me through All In with Chris Hayes and most of Rachel Maddow.

R14 he sleeps in his cat condo (it had a hammock) at night for safety, not with me. He’s still too little for that but as soon as he’s big enough my niece plans to let him sleep with her. He already naps with her.

R16 he always has food and water available. He has special dry food for now, not on wet food yet.

R18, great idea!

R19, my cat is 12. He knows something is up. So far he hasn’t seen the kitten. The kitten is too small to play with him, I’m afraid my big cat would injure him. He can smell the kitten and is aware that he’s here but they are never together. When big cat goes outside little kitten comes out of his room. It’s working out well except now big cat is hanging around longer inside after eating to dominate his territory. He’s out until about 11 pm so I get the kitten settled in with a clean cage and room. He doesn’t come out again until big kitty goes out for his morning exploratory missions in the yard.

R20, no need for that. he runs wild then poops out. He zips about for around 1-2 hours then needs a nap. Rinse and repeat.

Thanks everyone for the positive and helpful comments. I love cats and am thrilled to have the little guy with me for the week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 19, 2019 2:23 AM

How to introduce your cats

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 19, 2019 3:19 PM

It's a great opportunity to score some pure ketamine at the vet. Invent some malady and go for it!

by Anonymousreply 23July 19, 2019 3:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!