Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How does a person get poor boundary issues

I have a friend who constantly asks the wrong question of people and offends them. Really personal stuff that is very intrusive to ask. I'm always on edge when he is around new people. It is like what will he say now? He's usually completely baffled that he said the wrong thing.

by Anonymousreply 18July 18, 2019 7:25 AM

OP- sounds like your friend is on the spectrum. Social ineptness is a key feature.

by Anonymousreply 1July 18, 2019 3:14 AM

He's very personable though otherwise r1. It is just this odd area where he just goes too far with wanting details most of the time.

by Anonymousreply 2July 18, 2019 3:18 AM

R2 Just tell him he's too nosy and it makes people uncomfortable. You'd be doing him a favor even if he's offended.

by Anonymousreply 3July 18, 2019 3:22 AM

Autism.

by Anonymousreply 4July 18, 2019 3:23 AM

When people do that to me my stock answer is, “are you writing a book? If so, leave that chapter out.”

by Anonymousreply 5July 18, 2019 3:26 AM

Is your friend Tommy Wiseau?

by Anonymousreply 6July 18, 2019 3:37 AM

I don't think it's so much that people "get poor boundary issues" as that they never develop good boundaries. Little kids will ask anybody anything they want to know; they need a parent to explain that some questions are rude and inappropriate. If your friend is not in fact on the spectrum or otherwise afflicted with some actual social-functioning disorder, he just needs a few people to be blunt and tell him to mind his own business.

by Anonymousreply 7July 18, 2019 3:44 AM

I told my kid to do a Bon Qui Qui “RUDE!” If someone asks her an intrusive question.

It seems to work.

by Anonymousreply 8July 18, 2019 3:47 AM

Some people just don’t have a filter. Depends on their upbringing sometimes. He could be on the spectrum. Not all people who have Autism are completely socially inept. It isn’t always obvious. I used to mess with a guy on the spectrum. He has a job in the hospitality industry and is good with people on the surface. It’s when you really get to know him that you realize he is Autistic. He never knew how to properly initiate sex. He just got naked and sat there waiting for me. Was pretty funny stuff.

by Anonymousreply 9July 18, 2019 3:49 AM

True R7. My best friend would sing in the showers at the gym showers. I would always run out the showers when he'd start w that shit. That is until some guy came up to him while he was singing (in the shower), and told him that was interfering with their relaxation time and to cut that shit out. Never heard my best friend do that again.

by Anonymousreply 10July 18, 2019 3:50 AM

Are they foreigners? People from other cultures don't understand us.

I know a rich eldergay who says "I'm rich, old and thick-skinned". He always embarrasses me asking intimate questions from strangers in the city.

by Anonymousreply 11July 18, 2019 3:52 AM

Sometimes it's because people are on the spectrum, sometimes it's because people are just exceedingly interested in the details of other people's lives, sometimes it's because they were raised by wolves and have poor social skills.

Think of the kids raised by the Disney-brawl family, do you think they have any idea where normal social boundaries lie? And it's not just people who were raised by the obviously feral, I come from a middle-class home that looked great on the outside, but It took me forever to learn basic social skills and where the normal social boundaries lay... as I was raised by a toxic narcissist who did not think that anyone but her had a right to boundaries. If you grow up hearing a narcissist talk about themselves in a way that tells you things you didn't want to know, and be mean to other people in a way that has absolutely no respect for their boundaries or feelings, and are abused if you express any opinions yourself, as a young adult you have no idea how normal people interact and what is and isn't allowable in social interaction or in the workplace.

It takes forever to learn normal social cues and boundaries even if you're willing to learn, and not all people are. Some people are just too self-absorbed or angry at the world to want to learn, and they're doomed to lives of misery and frustration.

by Anonymousreply 12July 18, 2019 5:05 AM

Some bipolar people have no filter and say very inappropriate things to people too.

by Anonymousreply 13July 18, 2019 5:18 AM

that could be it r13. This person does have big mood swings.

by Anonymousreply 14July 18, 2019 5:24 AM

Aspergers for sure.

by Anonymousreply 15July 18, 2019 5:27 AM

That's what I figured Op. My ex was bipolar. He always reminded me of an alien who doesn't know how humans operate. No filter, wild irrational mood swings. It was hell on earth.

by Anonymousreply 16July 18, 2019 5:36 AM

Okay, you're all going to laugh about this but, why can't people have boundaries when at the YMCA? We have one , and it's a very family friendly place. The stories I've heard from people that work there are awful. Rules are rules dude,,follow them.

by Anonymousreply 17July 18, 2019 6:02 AM

- You look like a prostitute! Are you a prostitute?

- You'll have to excuse my mother, Blanche. She had a stroke a few years ago that left her, if I can be frank, a complete burden.

by Anonymousreply 18July 18, 2019 7:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!