Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have you ever been so broke that you didn't have so much as a dollar to your name?

Did you feel like you weren't even a person? What did you do about it?

by Anonymousreply 31July 18, 2019 10:00 AM

I grew up poor so being poor in my twenties wasn't such a shock. I would walk to work from my home in San Francisco in order to save the 25 cents on MUNI. That was how poor I was. At 30 I finally landed a government job and my poor days were behind me.

by Anonymousreply 1July 18, 2019 2:04 AM

I worked a job where I didn't work every day. I worked for an 'oriental' restaurant. I ate leftover rice most days. I had been disowned by my family, and they let me come home after about 6 months. I ate food like I was a dog. I was starving. It took me about 2 years to get back to a normal weight.

by Anonymousreply 2July 18, 2019 2:10 AM

why would the govt hire you? If you were poor in your 20s what did you have to offer the govt in your 30s to be hired?

by Anonymousreply 3July 18, 2019 2:10 AM

I was so poor I ate small boxes of lemon-heads (.05) for lunch and slept in a sweat box room with one little fan and thousands of roaches.

by Anonymousreply 4July 18, 2019 2:11 AM

Yep. When i was in my early 20's, A few years ago my boyfriend at the time had a nervous breakdown. He was hospitalized. When he got out I was practically his nurse. Left my job to attend his needs. I was negative in the bank with no money coming in. I had nothing. I woke up one day and just started offering people at the laundromat that I could do their laundry for them for 10 bucks. I'd wash it, put it in the dryer, fold it and put it in their vehicle. I made 50 bucks that day. The next day I insured my car and got a food delivery job.

by Anonymousreply 5July 18, 2019 2:11 AM

Getting a government job with the City and Country of San Francisco was not an easy feat. The job I received at 30 was actually first applied for when I was 27. It took that long for the wheels to move.

by Anonymousreply 6July 18, 2019 2:29 AM

Yes. I was so poor in my 20s, (did not come from a well-to-do family) that I often had to choose whether to eat or pay for subway fare. I usually walked about 60 blocks to work.

I also started collecting cans and bottles to cash in at the grocery store. This was before immigrants started collecting cans and bottles en masse.

One day, I brought a good haul to the store. Back then, you had to redeem cans and bottles at the cash register. I was mortified when a cockroach crawled out of a can. The cashier shrieked and started berating me in front of the entire store. I left without waiting for redemption cash (which I desperately needed) because I was so embarrassed.

Thankfully, decades later, I am in a financially better place. But I never forget how I felt that day, and it makes me empathize with those struggling with money.

by Anonymousreply 7July 18, 2019 2:38 AM

Yes, I've been there. When my dog and I first moved to WeHo a million years ago, my crummy typesetting job just barely paid my bills. Any small surprise expense like a car repair or missing a day of work to illness could utterly wipe me out. There were times when I didn't have enough money for groceries, so I bought food for the dog and I just went without. I could stretch a bag of rice a loooooong way.

by Anonymousreply 8July 18, 2019 2:43 AM

Yes, but my parents were a backstop. When I was in grad school.

by Anonymousreply 9July 18, 2019 2:52 AM

Yes. About 25 years ago. I pawned some jewelry and electronics to get by, made about sixty dollars, and survived on that until I found a job.

by Anonymousreply 10July 18, 2019 2:59 AM

Not really because I always found a way to have income. Jobs, and when I was young and handsome I'd sell my cock and ass if I was really desperate for certain amount of cash. I always had some middle class and a few rich friends and I always had my hopes and dreams so I always felt like a person, and one with a future. If you really don't have dollar and don't know how to earn one - you need to go a social worker and figure out a way to survive.

by Anonymousreply 11July 18, 2019 3:28 AM

I worked at the Memphis airport in 1985 and was so poor I could only eat the 75 cent Campbell's chicken and dumplings from the vending machine in the breakroom. That was it for the day. The rest was gas money , rent and not much else.

by Anonymousreply 12July 18, 2019 3:37 AM

Save all your money 'cause it's terrible to be broke

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 18, 2019 3:55 AM

I was once so broke I slept in a master bedroom closet for weeks until I could save up for a place of my own.It was huge,and had a tiny window so it didnt feel too much like a closet,but it was. It was in a 2 bedroom apartment in an old converted house with about 8 other people living there as well. I would take a 45 min bus ride,then walk a half hour to get to a shitty job that I hated . Some days it was so hot I would be soaked in sweat when I got to work.I did that for MONTHS. I used to firmly believe that as long as you had a job everything else would fall into place,but I dont believe that anymore.

by Anonymousreply 14July 18, 2019 4:06 AM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 15July 18, 2019 5:10 AM

R14 say it louder so r11 in the back can hear you.

by Anonymousreply 16July 18, 2019 5:40 AM

I am from Zimbabwe so even when we have a 100 trillion dollars to our name, we really don't have a dollar.

by Anonymousreply 17July 18, 2019 5:52 AM

[quote]Yep. When i was in my early 20's, A few years ago my boyfriend at the time had a nervous breakdown. He was hospitalized. When he got out I was practically his nurse. Left my job to attend his needs. I was negative in the bank with no money coming in. I had nothing. I woke up one day and just started offering people at the laundromat that I could do their laundry for them for 10 bucks. I'd wash it, put it in the dryer, fold it and put it in their vehicle. I made 50 bucks that day. The next day I insured my car and got a food delivery job.

I notice you said "boyfriend at the time." In retrospect, do you still think that guy was worth leaving your job and going broke for? Not judging, just curious because that was awfully nice of you and I hope he appreciated it.

by Anonymousreply 18July 18, 2019 6:02 AM

Yes. At one point I was eating just Ramen on repeat for over a week. We did have a potluck at work, but I couldn’t bring myself to go because I couldn’t bring anything. I had some health problems, my dog needed an emergency vet visit, and my car broke down all back-to-back. My boyfriend was really patient with me and helped me work through it. I wouldn’t take any money from him at the time though (pride). He eventually asked me to move in with him and bought me a car. I am so fortunate to have him, if still be in that position otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 19July 18, 2019 6:55 AM

I was unemployed for a year. I used credit cards to survive, then after I found a job I declared bankruptcy.

If this country is going to treat me like shit I'm going to return the sentiment.

by Anonymousreply 20July 18, 2019 7:06 AM

(R3) LOL!!!, that is, if u were joking. Which I assume you are...

by Anonymousreply 21July 18, 2019 7:07 AM

I was living on the old North end of my city. I was taking the bus and getting rides everywhere. I had to humble myself and ask for help. That’s the best thing you could do if you need a buck. Don’t be afraid to look stupid. Humility isn’t about that, it’s about one person giving another a hand up in life. Also, it sounds funny, but during that time I adopted a stray cat that was in our neighborhood and I helped take care of her as best I could till someone came along who could help me take her to the vet. And that made me feel good about myself. So I didn’t feel like a piece of shit for being poor. And, I had company so I wasn’t alone. Yep. Myself and my cat Mia are still kicking it. Only now we are in a three-bedroom house. She has plenty of space to chase her brother, my husbands cat, around the house day in and day out. She’s happy. And so am I. Sometimes time just takes time. Me and Mia have been together for almost 5 years now. And she’s doing great. If I can figure it out I’ll put a pic up of her soon.

by Anonymousreply 22July 18, 2019 7:14 AM

Yes, but then I went on assistance!

by Anonymousreply 23July 18, 2019 7:19 AM

R19 lol. As if anyone would date or support such a loser like you. Nice fairytale.

by Anonymousreply 24July 18, 2019 7:46 AM

R24 sorry you’re a washed up old bitch no one will ever love. Get over yourself! You don’t know me!

by Anonymousreply 25July 18, 2019 7:49 AM

EVERYBODY and their dog takes in homeless trash like you. Buys you scumbags cars and condos. As if!

by Anonymousreply 26July 18, 2019 7:51 AM

I was getting by on a meager pension, but then took in a homeless piece of trash with a big dick who turned out to be drug-addicted, and soon I was $34,000 in credit card debt.

by Anonymousreply 27July 18, 2019 8:48 AM

R27 LOL. Yes because everyone does.

by Anonymousreply 28July 18, 2019 8:51 AM

No, I've been extremely fortunate in my 66 years of life. But I have always had a strong fear of losing everything and being poor. I don't know where this comes from because the chances of this ever happening are virtually non existent. But the fear is there, and to this day I pay attention to how I spend my money. I was taught from childhood that it's primarily not the cost you consider, but the need & the benefit you consider. I make sure every dime I spend is spent well, on something I actually need or something that is going to provide a proper benefit to me, be it a big ticket item or a simple purchase at a discount store. Frivolous spending is not something I have any familiarity with.

by Anonymousreply 29July 18, 2019 9:17 AM

Yes. Less than a euro, in my case. I was 17, just moved out. My grandmother helped me out. (She's 87 now and we email a lot, bless that wicked woman)

by Anonymousreply 30July 18, 2019 9:56 AM

Yeah, I am that broke right now. If it wasn't for my partner, I would be out on the streets without a dime to my name or a job to get by. It's nice having someone else pay for everything until you realize you have nothing if it goes south.

by Anonymousreply 31July 18, 2019 10:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!