Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gym, eat, repeat: the shocking rise of muscle dysmorphia

t is difficult for Miles to pinpoint the moment his muscle dysmorphia started. It was just always there, a background hum. “As far back as I can remember, I wanted a better-looking body,” says the 35-year-old US soldier, now stationed in Mons, Belgium. When he was 13, Miles spent a summer cutting grass to save up for a secondhand Soloflex exercise machine. The machine cost $1,000 (£800), but as Miles was too young to join a gym, it was worth the expense. With the help of the Soloflex, Miles started weight training and never looked back.

When he returned from a posting to Afghanistan at 24, things spiralled. He began obsessively working out and regimenting his meals. “I went all in ... it was full, hardcore dedication to the lifestyle.” Miles set his watch to beep every three hours, to remind him to eat. If it beeped when he was driving, he would pull over. Slowly, he whittled his body into shape. His muscles became striated, every fibre visible. Not big enough. At 95kg (210lbs) and 1.8 metres (6ft 2in), Miles wanted to be more muscular; leaner. He lost 22kg and started competing in amateur bodybuilding competitions. There was virtually no fat on him. “You pinch your skin and it just stays pinched.” His girlfriend left him. “She began to realise that my body dysmorphia was like dating another person.” The pursuit of muscularity took over his life. “I just thought, I am so lean, and shredded, and veiny, and masculine – I don’t ever want to go back to how I was before.”

Yet by 33, single again – the dysmorphia had claimed yet another relationship – it had all become too much and he was in a dark place. “I did not enjoy life in any way, shape or form.” All day long, he would starve himself, struggle through punishing workouts, go home and binge-eat before throwing it all up. One evening, waiting in line at the burger chain In-N-Out for more food to purge, Miles finally decided enough was enough. “I woke up so happy the next day, knowing it was over.”

‘In the In the 70s, we saw very slim, almost androgynous men, like Mick Jagger, and David Bowie ... to be muscular was to be defined as to be militaristic.’ ‘In the In the 70s, we saw very slim, almost androgynous men, like Mick Jagger, and David Bowie ... to be muscular was to be defined as to be militaristic.’ Photograph: Peter Mazel/Sunshine/Rex/Shutterstock A subset of body dysmorphic disorder, individuals with muscle dysmorphia feel they need to become bigger or more muscular, regardless of their size. Sometimes referred to as “bigorexia”, it typically affects men. About 30% of people with muscle dysmorphia will also have a medically diagnosable eating disorder – although as you need to be in calorie deficit to be diagnosed with an eating disorder, many men with the condition won’t meet the clinical threshold, despite following extremely restrictive diets. Because men with muscle dysmorphia rarely seek treatment, estimating its prevalence in the general population is hard, but it is believed that about 10-12% of professional male weightlifters meet the criteria.

And muscle dysmorphia may be on the rise. A study published in June found that 22% of men aged 18-24 reported muscularity-oriented disordered eating. “The drive for a bigger, more muscular body is becoming very prevalent,” says the lead researcher Dr Jason Nagata of the University of California, San Francisco. Not everyone who benches 180kg has muscle dysmorphia. It is when working out takes over your life, occluding all else – work, family, friends – that you have a problem. “Their entire day is spent at the gym trying to bulk up,” says Nagata. “They may also be taking illicit supplements like steroids.”

Play Video 7:51 Steroids, syringes and stigma: the quest for the perfect male six-pack - video What drives a generation of young men to slavishly pursue this physical ideal? “Over the past decades, the idealised male body image has got bigger and bulkier,” says Nagata.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106August 23, 2020 10:16 AM

Soloflex was for resistance training not weight training.

by Anonymousreply 1July 18, 2019 12:02 AM

We’re in the Alpha Era, where men (and women) want to be perceived as dominant, powerful, tough, apex. And big ripped muscles connote those attributes in our society. Skinny or unmuscled men are widely viewed as soft, lazy, effeminate, underdeloped, or girly. It’s the era of being swole, flexing, have followers and fans because of your physique.

by Anonymousreply 2July 18, 2019 12:06 AM

I thought we had enough Terry Miller threads

by Anonymousreply 3July 18, 2019 12:06 AM

That DLer who is obsessed with weightlifters of course won't read this article.

by Anonymousreply 4July 18, 2019 12:07 AM

I see the heterosexual male death rate increasing astronomically in the future because of all of the harmful 'broscience' out there. Maybe us gays who tend to be more balanced will really win in the end.

by Anonymousreply 5July 18, 2019 12:07 AM

[quote]We’re in the Alpha Era, where men (and women) want to be perceived as dominant, powerful, tough, apex

Except women are now demanding that all their various body types, shapes and sizes should be accepted and included. For men, it seems like the reverse is occurring. Men are more objectified now by society as far as appearance, and more people have a narrower standard of what they think a sexually attractive man should look like.

by Anonymousreply 6July 18, 2019 12:21 AM

I see it all over social media. These guys are obsessed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 18, 2019 12:26 AM

[quote]Perceived as... "apex".

[quote]goal physique

They also don't want to seem intelligent.

More men seem to aspire to be whorish meatheads.

by Anonymousreply 8July 18, 2019 12:27 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 18, 2019 12:28 AM

Who the fuck cares? Look how hot they are 🤤

by Anonymousreply 10July 18, 2019 12:32 AM

Whoever has to work with them outside of a gym.

by Anonymousreply 11July 18, 2019 12:33 AM

r11 they're all salesmen and realtors and grifters outside the gym, with the occasional exception who touts their PhD in whatever.

by Anonymousreply 12July 18, 2019 12:35 AM

Don’t forget “fitness models.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 18, 2019 12:36 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 18, 2019 12:37 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 18, 2019 12:37 AM

I don't care.

These are the very type of people who would use their size in a violent or aggressive way.

And will consider themselves better than everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 16July 18, 2019 12:40 AM

My straight male friends notice my physique more than gay dudes and women. They compliment me for bulking and looking “swole” Or “beast” much more than gay guys. They are more focused on male physiques than women

by Anonymousreply 17July 18, 2019 12:46 AM

"You look beast" <-- ?

Fucking dumb.

Gay men are conditioned not to say anything in case someone tries to kick the shit out of them so that's probably why they stay silent, R17.

by Anonymousreply 18July 18, 2019 12:48 AM

Guys commonly say a big muscle bro is “a beast.”

by Anonymousreply 19July 18, 2019 12:52 AM

R17 has the right of it. Men bulk up for each other. Not to impress women.

Look at any of the comics -er - graphic novels out there showing swole muscle heads winning the day and saving wasp-waisted waif women. All of that crap is written for men.

And men have bought into it.

by Anonymousreply 20July 18, 2019 12:53 AM

Out of curiosity, how many posting in this thread are Lesbians?

by Anonymousreply 21July 18, 2019 12:54 AM

[quote]“a beast.”

That's different than "You look beast, bro! Don't flex durrrr".

They really just need to shut up and remove their clothing.

by Anonymousreply 22July 18, 2019 1:00 AM

The only thing I really hate is when they point at each other in photos. Just flex and look hot!

by Anonymousreply 23July 18, 2019 1:16 AM

I love all the shirtless selfie flexing in the gym , sometimes in drawers

by Anonymousreply 24July 18, 2019 1:17 AM

Gym, eat, repeat: the shocking rise of BRAIN dysmorphia

by Anonymousreply 25July 18, 2019 2:39 AM

Sohomobro

by Anonymousreply 26July 18, 2019 4:17 AM

Yet they look mildly to severely less attractive than if they didn't obsess.

I get wanting prominent muscle though. It really makes a lot of difference between having a distinctly fit body versus something more like your fat and skin hanging off or sitting on you. But that's a whole other thing compared to literally purging and extended fasting in order to get the 0.0001% optimization (in your crazy view).

by Anonymousreply 27July 18, 2019 5:58 AM

Huh?

by Anonymousreply 28July 18, 2019 12:09 PM

"We’re in the Alpha Era, where men (and women) want to be perceived as dominant, powerful, tough, apex."

The key word in this sentence is perceived.

Real "alphas" don't keel over and die when they're 28 years old. Real "alphas" aren't constantly looking and preening in the mirror. Real "alphas" aren't constantly seeking approval of other people.

Tom Brady is probably the quintessential alpha male, yet his body is quite average looking.

by Anonymousreply 29July 18, 2019 12:50 PM

OP you forgot sleep. Eat sleep gym repeat.

by Anonymousreply 30July 18, 2019 12:51 PM

R29, Tom Brady still gets ragged on for having a non athletic bod.

by Anonymousreply 31July 18, 2019 1:07 PM

R31, yea he's ragged on by a bunch of internet losers who will never have the fame and fortune of Tom Brady. And it's done behind the safety of the keyboard.

Just like the losers last week who were ragging on Jason Momoa.

Access to a keyboard hardly qualifies one as great, R31.

by Anonymousreply 32July 18, 2019 1:23 PM

Guys admire Tom Brady because he won six Super Bowls and he has lots of money. None of these young guys look up to him because of his body. Certainly not guys like him:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 18, 2019 1:36 PM

^^ she's all tits and no dick!

by Anonymousreply 34July 18, 2019 1:39 PM

Who, Tom Brady? I wouldn’t go that far.

by Anonymousreply 35July 18, 2019 1:43 PM

Aaron Miller is hot

by Anonymousreply 36July 19, 2019 2:41 PM

The American public is sort of becoming a semi-mobilized army, with the guns we all have and the big giant tanklike SUVs we drive around in and now in the neurotic overtraining we do.

by Anonymousreply 37July 19, 2019 6:19 PM

It’s happening to all of the youngins. It’s social media and body-transforming apps. Plus all of Marvel movies with celebs on steroids . It’s created an unnatural standard of beauty . Young women are starving themselves and blowing up asses with fat and implants like KK and men want to look like Thor . Sad .

by Anonymousreply 38July 19, 2019 6:20 PM

The biggest problem is that its not sustainable. The majority look like deflated balloons later in life. They also look much older than they actually are.

by Anonymousreply 39July 19, 2019 6:34 PM

My gym abc city has lots of ripped brolic 60 year olds who go to lift each day. Such gymspiration

by Anonymousreply 40July 19, 2019 6:37 PM

bullshit ^^^

by Anonymousreply 41July 19, 2019 6:39 PM

Amazing the lengths that men will go to make their bodies perfect just so I can jerk off to their pictures!

by Anonymousreply 42July 19, 2019 6:41 PM

TOXIC MASCULINITY

by Anonymousreply 43July 19, 2019 6:50 PM

R37, you’re an idiot if you think any of that, let alone all of it, applies to most “Americans.”

by Anonymousreply 44July 19, 2019 6:51 PM

Whatever happened to the word 'machismo'?

Much better than pathologising 'masculinity' by adding 'toxic'.

by Anonymousreply 45July 19, 2019 6:59 PM

Being “Alpha” sure is a big thing with guys now. I see it advertised as a desired trait in a Lot of profiles and personal ads now.

by Anonymousreply 46July 19, 2019 7:01 PM

If you have to say that you are "alpha", then you probably aren't.

by Anonymousreply 47July 19, 2019 7:06 PM

Every shitty stereotype for men and women starts on Madison Avenue. Men have to look like Stallone or Arnie and women like Kim or Pamela. Unhuman and probably life-threatening looks but more and more products and drugs will be sold. Capitalism at its most odious. Weak sheeple with low self-esteem will have to follow every trend there is in the market. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 48July 19, 2019 7:13 PM

I prefer the term "Apex Predator"

by Anonymousreply 49July 19, 2019 11:43 PM

They all worship this David Laid guy now. He’s the one in the middle here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50July 20, 2019 12:56 AM

He’s so hot

by Anonymousreply 51July 20, 2019 12:22 PM

Worst cut and paste of 2019.

by Anonymousreply 52July 20, 2019 12:39 PM

If being pumped makes these young men happy, why are they never smiling in pictures? Happy things make people smile, surely.

by Anonymousreply 53July 20, 2019 12:46 PM

Smiling in pics isn’t alpha. You must look focused on your next set of dumbbell curls at all times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 20, 2019 12:50 PM

He has his own thread

by Anonymousreply 55July 20, 2019 1:13 PM

Muscles matter

by Anonymousreply 56July 21, 2019 12:10 AM

Except they don't last. I used to have a really good body but you can't have it forever. Injuries, life events, sheer exhaustion are all factors. It's a crazy ideal.

by Anonymousreply 57July 22, 2019 2:38 PM

They look pretty in a picture, just that.

My run-ins with those types in real life have been greatly disappointing.

There is something really odd on a guy who looks like Hercules and throws tantrums like he could be one of those Willy Wonka kids.

by Anonymousreply 58July 22, 2019 2:43 PM

Bodybuilding has become big in the Middle East. I think it's their way of admiring each other's physique without being accused of being gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59July 22, 2019 2:55 PM

Muscles are so overrated.

by Anonymousreply 60July 22, 2019 3:03 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if I'm in the early stages. I was really, really heavy a few years ago, found a diet (basically paleo) that worked for me and dropped a metric crapton of weight quickly, leaving me with a lot of excess skin. I just dealt with it, but around my birthday (41), I decided to start working out seriously and consistently for the first time in my life, and see if I could fill it back up with something aesthetically pleasing. I have gotten comments from some people that I've put on muscle, but my partner always gives me a "I see you every day," which kind of drives my paranoia.

I kind of hate myself for this, but I find myself thinking seriously about steroids.

by Anonymousreply 61July 22, 2019 3:03 PM

I love muscle!

by Anonymousreply 62July 22, 2019 3:56 PM

The same emotional issues that drove r61 to overeat for years and become very large for protection are now resurfacing again now that he's lost weight and devoting all of his energy into working out.

Spend the steroid money on therapy to find out why you need to feel large again.

by Anonymousreply 63July 22, 2019 5:13 PM

Therapy won't get me laid.

by Anonymousreply 64July 22, 2019 5:45 PM

Yes these guys are hot but it must be mentally and physically draining I tell you, to have to stay at that level of perfection. Are they all suffering from some kind of mental illness? I'm actually serious. These guys seem very insecure and unbalanced.

by Anonymousreply 65July 22, 2019 5:45 PM

Yes mental illness just like anorexia and pathologically low self-esteem.

by Anonymousreply 66July 22, 2019 5:52 PM

I agree R66.

by Anonymousreply 67July 22, 2019 5:56 PM

I'm very particular with bodies. I love muscles if the frame/body is proportioned and harmonious and not skinny. Over-muscled or disproportionate or bloatedness or too many veins aren't a nice sight.

by Anonymousreply 68July 22, 2019 6:01 PM

Is there something you need to tell me r64 ?

by Anonymousreply 69July 22, 2019 6:07 PM

No, dear, just an expression.

Maybe it is mental illness, I don't know. I do know that some of my dress shirts are starting to feel tight through the shoulders and I like it.

by Anonymousreply 70July 22, 2019 6:15 PM

Me too bro

by Anonymousreply 71July 22, 2019 6:17 PM

R59 have you lived in the Middle East or North Africa? It global central of intimate relationships between men. There is no need for body building to hide a desire to be close to men. There is no taboo about intimacy between men. Western "gay" identity is another matter.

by Anonymousreply 72July 22, 2019 6:48 PM

Don’t steroids make people cranky? I had to take one when I had bronchitis and it made me feel like I was jumping out my skin.

by Anonymousreply 73July 22, 2019 6:49 PM

Guys globally want to be Considered Alphas and dominant, and media makes muscular males seem superior. Also having a hot Bod is the best way to get a huge social media following and to date A grade people

by Anonymousreply 74July 22, 2019 8:18 PM

[quote] muscle dysmorphia

So sad! I gave money to Jerry's kids every year for muscle dysmorphia.

by Anonymousreply 75July 22, 2019 8:24 PM

R74's post tells me that the shocking rise of muscle "dysmorphia" is really just the shocking rise of superficial attitudes.

by Anonymousreply 76July 22, 2019 8:27 PM

R75 Miss Litella, It’s Muscle Dysmorphia, not Muscular Dystrophy....

by Anonymousreply 77July 22, 2019 8:28 PM

A grade people?

by Anonymousreply 78July 22, 2019 9:28 PM

There’s a telethon for this?

by Anonymousreply 79July 22, 2019 10:51 PM

A grades are 10s, the type that are popular fitness models with over 500,000 or millions of followers

by Anonymousreply 80July 22, 2019 10:56 PM

Oh fank you I nevers hear of that. I hears of Grade A beef. So like that?

by Anonymousreply 81July 22, 2019 11:47 PM

I eat meat.

by Anonymousreply 82July 22, 2019 11:49 PM

[quote]Guys globally want to be Considered Alphas and dominant, and media makes muscular males seem superior. Also having a hot Bod is the best way to get a huge social media following and to date A grade people

I don't need a social media following. I just need to not hate what I see in the mirror

by Anonymousreply 83July 23, 2019 12:49 AM

Okay man

by Anonymousreply 84July 23, 2019 2:58 AM

[quote] Smiling in pics isn’t alpha. You must look focused on your next set of dumbbell curls at all times.

Taking photos (of yourself or of almost anything really) isn't truly "alpha".

Because engaging in THE ART of Photography (even self-photography) displays an overly "artistic", "feeling-y" side. It's not considered "Alpha" to be "artistic" or "sensitive".

The only photography that's "alpha" to engage in is risky photography: where you have to demonstrate courage, physical stamina & nerves of steel in the face of danger. E.g. certain Wildlife photography (lions, bears, oh my) or Warfare photography (taking photos while always facing the risk of being shot or captured; dodging bullets & grenades, and running across minefields).

by Anonymousreply 85July 23, 2019 9:08 AM

"Alphas" (originally in many species) meant "Dad". They're the "FATHERS" (or "Mothers") of the clan. They're supposed to be fiercely brave against enemies/intruders and fiercely protective of their clan (their extended family and community).

They're [italic]also[/italic] supposed to be [bold]more intelligent[/bold] (and that’s exactly why Alphas are usually OLDER and more EXPERIENCED than the rest of the clan, especially in species that have very long life spans). Because [italic]huge responsibility[/italic] falls on their sole shoulders to decide where the clan migrates for the summer/winter, where to get food, where to get shelter, when it’s best timing to attack and when it’s best to retreat, etc. They need to have wide-spanning [italic]knowledge[/italic] of the world. They can delegate, but they still have to be the ones who create a smart strategy to survive & prosper. And if they don’t - the whole clan will perish, and they won’t be “alpha” over anyone anymore. They're like an army general & military strategist, a president / CEO, a 911 first-responder on the front line, a father/mother who feeds you, and "Jesus, our protector & saviour“, all rolled into one.

Problem is Insta-hoes don't really give off the vibe of being [bold]“father-figures”, ”protectors”[/bold] or “saviours”. They’re also often not that “intelligent” or “world-experienced”. They’re usually too Boy-ish, childish, preening and of no great, indispensable use to society.

If we get attacked by another big clan / tribe (nation) tomorrow - will these self-titled, inflatable-toy “alpha” guys be deciding our defense & counter-attack strategy? I sure hope not, because then we’re doomed :).

Insta-hoes want all the perks of being an "alpha" - without the natural, essential "protector" obligations that come with it. They often seem to protect only themselves, not their community - and that's not what an "alpha" does.

The other irony is that an “alpha” by definition can't have anyone directly above them. They are the first letter of the alphabet, as a symbolical metaphor. Meaning, they don’t have direct bosses & they don’t operate as direct subordinates. No one gives an alpha male direct orders - apart from the alpha female, in dual-alpha family-clan systems. So if an Insta-hoe flexes on weekends - but obediently / submissively goes to work as a direct subordinate employee for [italic]another[/italic] guy (boss) in a gym, who bosses him around with mandatory orders every day - the Insta-hoe's not really “alpha”.

by Anonymousreply 86July 23, 2019 10:46 AM

Y’all are hopeless

by Anonymousreply 87July 23, 2019 11:16 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 88July 23, 2019 1:25 PM

R87 I’m harried and hopeless,

by Anonymousreply 89July 23, 2019 1:27 PM

I'd like to announce that I'm setting up a support group for Insta-hos suffering from Muscle Dysmorphia at my place.

by Anonymousreply 90July 23, 2019 3:47 PM

I am a therapist for muscled bros

by Anonymousreply 91July 23, 2019 3:52 PM

My ideal

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92July 31, 2019 2:08 AM

Nice!

by Anonymousreply 93July 31, 2019 2:39 AM

Rules of gaining muscle

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94August 3, 2019 4:08 AM

Yumm

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95August 3, 2019 4:31 AM

Even this poor guy used to suffer from body dysmorphia:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96August 3, 2019 7:36 AM

Nice

by Anonymousreply 97August 3, 2019 10:56 AM

Nice find, R95! Erduan is hot as hell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98August 3, 2019 5:03 PM

Erduan is bae

by Anonymousreply 99August 3, 2019 5:15 PM

But in keeping with this thread title, we should be concern about Erduan's muscle dysmorphia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100August 3, 2019 5:41 PM

So concerned

by Anonymousreply 101August 3, 2019 6:05 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 102August 3, 2019 7:26 PM

Shocking

by Anonymousreply 103August 3, 2019 8:44 PM

Protein quality

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104August 5, 2019 12:12 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 105July 3, 2020 3:30 PM

BaxterLinn is goals

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106August 23, 2020 10:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!