Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gay Friendly in Clearwater/ St. Pete?

Starting to look at places to retire. Have never cared for Florida but have heard nice things about Clearwater. Anyone live or retire there?

by Anonymousreply 26July 19, 2019 10:06 PM

Yes you should definitely retire to somewhere you know nothing about.

by Anonymousreply 1July 17, 2019 9:25 PM

Fucker, that’s why I’m getting feedback shithead

by Anonymousreply 2July 17, 2019 9:27 PM

Clearwater is the headquarters of the Church of Scientology.

Downtown St Petersburg is nice.

by Anonymousreply 3July 17, 2019 9:29 PM

[quote] Anyone live or retire there?

Nobody has ever lived or retired there.

by Anonymousreply 4July 17, 2019 9:33 PM

In Clearwater/St. Petersburg all seems to breath freedom and peace, and to make one forget the world and its sad turmoils.

by Anonymousreply 5July 17, 2019 9:47 PM

[quote] Downtown St Petersburg is nice.

Yes, but other parts are far from nice. And dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 6July 17, 2019 9:52 PM

Old people retire to St. Pete, and send their parents to live in Zephyrhills.

by Anonymousreply 7July 17, 2019 9:54 PM

Clearwater is a redneck hell hole.

Stick to Wilton Manors.

There is always the Keys, but if you don't like being on a boat/fishing/drinking then it won't be much fun.

by Anonymousreply 8July 18, 2019 12:55 AM

Gulfport, Florida -- if you can afford it!

by Anonymousreply 9July 18, 2019 1:20 AM

Agree, Gulfport is a cool oasis in St Pete.

by Anonymousreply 10July 18, 2019 1:24 AM

Confirming what R8 said

When in Florida, the closer you are to Alabama the more redneck it gets.

The farther south you get in Florida especially on the eastern side, the more normal it gets.... i.e Wilton Manor. The Key West being way south...just nothing to do there except drink and do water sports

by Anonymousreply 11July 18, 2019 1:27 AM

OP? Dear?

Google "Clearwater" and "Scientology" - see what shows up.

by Anonymousreply 12July 18, 2019 1:44 AM

R12. You beat me to it. There’s lots and lots of Xenu suckers there. But who knows? You’ll get clear, get audited to whatever level you can afford because it’s cash & carry!

by Anonymousreply 13July 18, 2019 1:53 AM

[quote] You beat me to it.

So did R3.

by Anonymousreply 14July 18, 2019 1:54 AM

Try Tarpon Springs. You could hook up with a gay Greek sponge diver.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 18, 2019 2:10 AM

R14:

R3 must be a complete and total dickfuck, as I have him / her / it on "block." Mea culpa, regardless.

by Anonymousreply 16July 18, 2019 2:26 AM

try Venice. Sarasota is nice but old and expensive.

Venice is affordable, the beaches are world class and it's home to the Ringling Museum.

by Anonymousreply 17July 18, 2019 2:43 AM

Clearwater beach is lovely

by Anonymousreply 18July 18, 2019 2:56 AM

Some posters need a map. Ringling Museum is in Sarasota. not Venice.

Clearwater is NOT close to Alabama, it's by St Pete/Tampa, which is very gay friendly.

by Anonymousreply 19July 18, 2019 3:07 AM

take a trip there and logon to Grindr. You'll spot a guy that's above average, then realize he's 10 miles away.

by Anonymousreply 20July 18, 2019 3:18 AM

R1 I just retired to Palm Springs, site unseen ,and no regrets so far!

by Anonymousreply 21July 18, 2019 3:21 AM

Clearwater beach is lovely but it is full of drunk, sunburnt and heavily tattooed white trash. If you find observing and listening to their antics enjoyable, then it is the right place for you.

by Anonymousreply 22July 18, 2019 9:19 AM

Ugh nevermind, as I suspected Florida is back on the Last Places I Ever Want to Live list.

by Anonymousreply 23July 18, 2019 10:58 AM

25 years ago, someone burnt the beachfront Gay bar to the ground. I think that’s a little excessive.

There was another Gay bar that was divided into a front and back bar. The front was straight. You’d have to walk through it to the back bar, which was Gay.

I have no idea of the bar scene today, though a hustler tried to pick me up at the 7-11 nearby a few years ago. He had no shoes and looked like he just got out of prison, but in a good way. I said no mas!

by Anonymousreply 24July 19, 2019 3:01 AM

I retired to St. Pete in 2015, after living in San Diego for 19 years. Gay-friendly for the most part. About 8 gay bars in St. Pete, 2 in Clearwater, several more in nearby Tampa. (I don’t drink and don’t do bars, though many do as a social outlet.)

Real estate in 55+ condo communities is pretty affordable, though predictably higher on the beaches. No state taxes. But Florida probably has the highest auto insurance rates in the country.

Hurricanes do happen, but more so on the SouthEast coast, or across the Gulf, going North. It was no accident that the original Native Americans picked this area, because they knew the storms hit mostly at the SouthEast. There are still native mounds preserved in St. Pete.

Travel elsewhere is fairly easy, as Tampa is something of a hub. I’ve been to New York more often for theater and such, though there is a healthy local theater scene, with multiple local Equity companies.

When I first visited here, in 2014, I found St. Petersburg unpretentious and beguiling. And the sunsets can be spectacular! After 4 years here, I still find it so. Manageable place, and I really have no regrets.

by Anonymousreply 25July 19, 2019 3:36 AM

Too late, R25. OP already made up his mind on this important life choice based on 3 anonymous Datalounge posters. See R23.

by Anonymousreply 26July 19, 2019 10:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!