Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

OH HELL NO... Rob Marshall wants Harry Styles for Prince Eric

Fuck that potato-faced queen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93August 14, 2019 4:29 AM

Won’t happen. Publicity bullshit

by Anonymousreply 1July 16, 2019 8:47 PM

Lol Rob Marshall is a hack, this movie is doomed.

by Anonymousreply 2July 16, 2019 8:48 PM

He probably fits the age demo they're going for with this movie.

by Anonymousreply 3July 16, 2019 8:48 PM

Making Harry Styles the Prince Eric to that beautiful black Little Mermaid is a hate crime.

by Anonymousreply 4July 16, 2019 8:51 PM

I threw the first brick at Stonewall for this?

by Anonymousreply 5July 16, 2019 8:56 PM

This movie will make oodles of money r2. It doesn't matter if it is actually good. The Aladdin shitfest just made tons of money, as have all of these Disney remakes.

by Anonymousreply 6July 16, 2019 9:02 PM

What a moronic choice for a former boyband member, who wants to be taken seriously. What was his thinking process like? "I'm tired of being screamed at by obsessed kids and teens, so I'll break up the band and become a Disney prince, so I can... wait... be obsessed over by lovesick kids and teens?" He might as well tattoo the age demo for his whole career on his forehead.

by Anonymousreply 7July 17, 2019 4:01 AM

R7 100% agree. If he takes this he can kiss goodbye to a new more mature audience and being taken seriously as a musician/rockstar which is what he said he wanted.

by Anonymousreply 8July 17, 2019 8:46 AM

Probably just PR bullshit to keep his younger fans hanging on.

by Anonymousreply 9July 17, 2019 9:31 AM

I didn’t grow no vagina for fetus Mick Jagger! Get me Shawn Mendes, muthafucka! Thassa fine white boy.

by Anonymousreply 10July 17, 2019 11:07 AM

I don't understand why he would be considering film roles and screentesting now anyway when it appeared his album was finished and everyone was predicting an autumn release. Elvis was due to start filming in the autumn and Little Mermaid next April. Either way it would be hard to fit in with album/promo/tour. Maybe the album isn't finished after all or he's had 'writers block' again which is what he said happened with the 1st album and then he went off to film Dunkirk.

by Anonymousreply 11July 17, 2019 11:41 AM

He's too big of a name. They won't go with him. They can't have the prince getting more publicity than the mermaid. They'll choose another up and comer...probably a closet gayling. Disney will fabricate a bearding relationship in the months leading up to the film's premier.

by Anonymousreply 12July 17, 2019 12:24 PM

R12 They have a black mermaid, so they might want to be on the safe side box office wise and cast an Eric alongside her, who brings his own obsessed fans to make sure it's a financial success.

by Anonymousreply 13July 17, 2019 2:28 PM

R11 He might roll out a single soon (before Grammy cut-off at the end of August), then the album in November or so, promo until the end of the year for nice Christmas sales. Then filming the Disney crap for a few months in early 2020 and tour from spring til end of the year. I don't know when Disney plans to release TLM, but with principal photography starting in 2020, it will probably have a 2021 premiere and ensueing promo.

This plan with shooting a big movie in betwwen album release and touring sounds more stressful a schedule than he needs to have at this point in his career, but the whole Disney prince thing makes no sense anyway, so what do I know.

by Anonymousreply 14July 17, 2019 2:43 PM

Shouldn't Prince Eric be, oh, I don't know, attractive?

by Anonymousreply 15July 17, 2019 3:09 PM

It's a bad decision all around, probably driven by loads of money. It will kill any attempts of Harry Styles to have a credible career as musician and actor, because he'll forever be the one trick pony that's here to delight young girls and nothing else.

And it's a questionable choice for Disney, because after the broke the ice with their Ariel casting, they had a chance to cast their first black prince. Or a handsome, young latino guy. But apparently they love their money too much and are fucking afraid that their Ariel will ruffle feathers, so they try to sooth them with casting a former teenage pop star that comes with an inbuilt rabid fan base that will shell out money for tickets and probably every piece of bad merchandise with his face on it.

Didn't they have One Direction plastic dolls? Now Harry can add a Prince Eric plastic doll to that, how fancy. Talk about throwing any chance of credibility as a "serious musician" or "talented actor" out of the window. Didn't they try to market him as some kind of new David Bowie? What happend? Did he sleep with his manager's girlfriend and he intentionally wants to destroy him now?

by Anonymousreply 16July 17, 2019 5:39 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 17, 2019 5:42 PM

R11 At this point the next album might be his only chance of leaving this mess gracefully, citing "scheduling conflicts" because everyone knows he was working on his second album and possibly tour. In that case the sobbing fan girls will get at least a new album (and maybe he can get some writing credits for one of the new Little Mermaid songs as consolation price to them) and everyone else can breathe a sigh of relief. Disney will get promo for the Little Mermaid out of this, because they could have had Harry Styles if it weren't for his "demanding schedule". Also the fans might still watch the movie to see if their beloved Harry would have been the better option. And Harry Styles got his name in every paper, possibly right before releasing a new single.

Someone please call his management and tell them what to do.

by Anonymousreply 18July 17, 2019 6:03 PM

I think he should just do a Netflix Original movie that features a full-frontal nude scene. Then, on to the album.

by Anonymousreply 19July 17, 2019 7:23 PM

The boy they cast as Prince Philip in Maleficent looked about twelve.

by Anonymousreply 20July 17, 2019 7:37 PM

R20 lol you're right. And now that you mention it, he kind of looked like 2010 Liam Payne with Harry Styles's hair back then. Disney apparently always loved the 1D boyband look, that the guys later tried hard to get rid of.

Again, great move, Harry, what kind of drugs are you on if you thought this was a good idea?

by Anonymousreply 21July 17, 2019 7:48 PM

This fascinates me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 18, 2019 12:47 AM

R19 Well, that's just about what Nick Jonas did to be taken seriously.

by Anonymousreply 23July 18, 2019 1:25 AM

Which is the real Harry?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 18, 2019 4:04 AM

More likely Harry Styles' PR firm wants him to play Prince Eric.

by Anonymousreply 25July 18, 2019 4:08 AM

His management needs to go away.

by Anonymousreply 26July 18, 2019 6:26 AM

I don't think his management could make him do anything he didn't want to but I'm still hoping as someone else said on here that all these stories coming out at the same time ( and almost to the day of the 1st anniversary of Harry finishing his tour in 2018) are just promo for new music. Just getting his name out there again. Otherwise I don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 27July 18, 2019 7:13 AM

R27 I think they might be able to.

by Anonymousreply 28July 18, 2019 8:39 AM

Lin Manuel Miranda is writing new songs for this movie and Prince Eric will sing ( apparently Prince Eric doesn't have any songs in the original movie) so Harry could make the chart with a Disney song.

by Anonymousreply 29July 18, 2019 9:28 AM

R29 He might as well, Zayn did.

by Anonymousreply 30July 18, 2019 9:32 AM

R15 a guy who is into bestiality with a mermaid could be attractive? I don't think so.

by Anonymousreply 31July 18, 2019 9:48 AM

Harry would have to spend many extra hours in makeup each day to cover up his stupid tattoos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 18, 2019 10:04 AM

Again, too much trouble to cover the nasty tattoos R19.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 18, 2019 10:09 AM

Why any adult cares, I cannot fathom.

by Anonymousreply 34July 18, 2019 10:14 AM

R27 I can't say whose wish this Disney farce was, but even if it was his own idea it's his management's job to tell him that it's a shit idea and would hurt his brand. If they can't explain to him why or even pushed him to do it in the first place, they are bad at their jobs. In both cases they are in part to blame.

by Anonymousreply 35July 18, 2019 1:42 PM

R34 That basically sums up, why it's such a bad career move. He will be and stay beloved by kids, teenagers and people, who have never grown up (all these housewives in their 30s and 40s, who love to visit Disney land lmao).

R29 Yeah, but it's a difference between just contributing some music (which is guaranteed to bring in some $$$) and being stupid enough to be the ex boybander who turned into a Disney prince. Who would have thought that Zayn, who I wouldn't exactly see as a balanced and stable person, would make smarter career choices than Harry Styles, who appeared to have clever sense for and good understanding of the entertainment industry.

by Anonymousreply 36July 18, 2019 1:51 PM

A scene from the Broadway version of Little Mermaid which iincluded songs for Prince Eric. Can we imagne Harry doing this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 19, 2019 7:24 AM

Harry is definitely still hiding out on the Gerbers private island since he was pictured with them yesterday. Someone who went to the area hoping to see him spoke to locals who knew the Gerbers and they told her that Rande Gerber is Harry's 'mentor'. He certainly seems very close to Rande Gerber but you would think he had more than enough advisers /mentors around him with the Azoffs/Ben Winston/his own family etc. When you look at his background though Rande Gerber ha sbeen/is an incredible businessman. Hopefully he didn't advise Harry on the purchases of his 2 LA properties which have netted Harry a total loss of around $2 million. Fancy throwing that sort of money down the drain.

by Anonymousreply 38July 19, 2019 9:45 AM

Well I hope he "mentors" Harry not to do the stupid Disney movie... But I do wonder how random locals would know that Rande is Harry's mentor and also tell that random strangers/stalkers. "Someone hoping to see him" travelling to Muskoka and questioning the locals about Harry, that's not exactly what I'd deem normal behaviour.

Apart from that I sometimes worry about all the mentors, advisers, friends or whatever this boy has around him. Everyone seems to flock to him, and everyone whispers in his ear, but it's all in this strange celebrity bubble. He seems quite lonely at times.

by Anonymousreply 39July 19, 2019 10:22 AM

R39 'He seems quite lonely at times' agree with this. I mean he is a 25 year old single man who spends pretty much the only holiday he takes a year with his 57 year old friend Rande Gerber and his family. And remember the way he became involved with the Gerber family in the 1st place is that he stopped by their houseto say hi at the end of 2013, Cindy Crawford was making pizzas with the kids and he joined in. There's something of the 'lonely' about that too. He seems to hve a very small circle of friends and they all seem much older with families of their own so he always looks like a third wheel. He seems to crave the family unit which makes me question how close he is to his actual family as well. I've also wondered if he actually enjoys himself that much, he just always seems to be working. Even when fans take pics of him in restaurants and cafes in LA they always look like business lunches.

by Anonymousreply 40July 19, 2019 10:46 AM

"Apart from that I sometimes worry about all the mentors, advisers, friends or whatever this boy has around him. Everyone seems to flock to him, and everyone whispers in his ear, but it's all in this strange celebrity bubble. He seems quite lonely at times."

Remember, Liam used to say Harry was a softy but not a pushover. I have a feeling Liam was being kind, Harry might be a pushover. Trying to please all those friends and hangers on.

by Anonymousreply 41July 19, 2019 12:42 PM

Asher Angel ( never heard of him) is also in the running for Prince Eric. From 4mins 20 on this video. He is 16 years old.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42July 19, 2019 1:51 PM

Why can't Harry Styles wash his fucking hair? It always looks nasty and smelly. Also, I'm not one of those anti-tattoo queens but his "art" looks like a Microsoft ClipArt catalog. I do find him super cute and talented though.

by Anonymousreply 43July 19, 2019 8:00 PM

Rob Marshall is a soulless hack of a director, so it doesn't matter who plays Prince Eric. The film will be generic pablum.

by Anonymousreply 44July 19, 2019 8:22 PM

I don't understand why Harry would want to be in the film, but I really don't understand why Melissa McCarthy wants to be in it.

by Anonymousreply 45July 20, 2019 4:57 AM

R40 I think he has a very large circle of friends, but nobody he's really very close to. I mean, there's not one person, I think, that's been always there through the years, at birthdays and such. It seems more like he meets with a lot of people when he's around and he has certain times, when he's close to someone, but it changes and ultimately he seems like he just floats around with no real anchor. I agree that he seems to crave family time and I wondered too, why he isn't more with his own family. But maybe his family can't understand part of his experience, the fame and all that, since they've never been in the spotlight. All his substitute families like the Gerbers, the Cordens or the Winstons know about celebrity life, either because they are celebrities themselves or they work with celebrities (like Ben Winston). It's still kind of ... sad.

R41 I hope Liam wasn't just being kind, because a young man with so much money and potential, he's such a target. I can imagine that it was a bit easier while he was still in One Direction, since their management seems to have much control over them (and they certainly knew what they wanted out of the boys), but since One Direction is over, it's basically open season for everyone.

R42 He looks cute and much more fitting for the role of Eric! But... he's 16? Wow, that's extremely young. Makes me doubt they'll cast him, even though I wish they would (mainly so Harry Styles won't be Eric lol, but also in general he seems way more fitting to be a Disney face).

by Anonymousreply 46July 20, 2019 5:14 AM

It's already confirmed that it's Harry as Eric. Ursula is Melissa McCarthy. Casting is over. This is is.

by Anonymousreply 47July 20, 2019 5:14 AM

R47 What? Where?

by Anonymousreply 48July 20, 2019 5:28 AM

R47 You will have to provide a link for that or it isn't true. And according to most media, it isn't true.

by Anonymousreply 49July 20, 2019 6:01 AM

R46 Asher Angel will be almost 18 when they start filming. So, who knows.

Maybe Harry should get the role. He then might have to quit hanging with old Asian dudes.

by Anonymousreply 50July 20, 2019 6:21 AM

They're pushing this Eric role HARD. Oh why, Harry.... such a train wreck.

[quote]No names have been set in ink, and Harry is still being called for other “projects,” our source clarifies. So if the role of Prince Eric goes to someone else, “then Harry will star in something else big, it’s only a matter of time,” the insider says.

Can this "something else big" happen now? This tumblr girl hysteria over Disney prince Harry gets old already...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51July 20, 2019 9:07 AM

Eric's supposed to be handsome though.

by Anonymousreply 52July 20, 2019 10:53 AM

What wasn't Harry in the "Cats" movie? That's what I want to know.

by Anonymousreply 53July 20, 2019 11:54 AM

Because the Cats have to dance, and Harry has two left feet, duh.

by Anonymousreply 54July 20, 2019 12:05 PM

R53 I'm sure James Corden tried to talk him into it.

by Anonymousreply 55July 20, 2019 6:44 PM

I wonder who talked him into auditioning ? If he decided to do it himself, then maybe his real personality (when he had one) is the pop star, young, heartthrob and he's tired of looking like a bum that doesn't bath

by Anonymousreply 56July 21, 2019 5:32 AM

R56 A bum in Gucci suits? Or are you referring to his long hair? Because he had that during One Direction = his pop star, heartthrob phase, not afterwards. And the "dishevelled" look is more due to the efforts of his hair stylist than actually not washing... She once posted a photo of the dressing room or whatever that was and this guy had a truckload of hair products there. I guess they thought that the pretty face and luscious locks combination would look a bit too girly and decided to make it more "rock n' roll" by putting every hair product known to men into it.

by Anonymousreply 57July 21, 2019 6:01 AM

R57 It has nothing to do with his Gucci suits and long hair.

by Anonymousreply 58July 21, 2019 6:41 AM

Harry Styles is guaranteed box office. Isn't that the whole purpose of making this film?

by Anonymousreply 59July 21, 2019 12:43 PM

He's fucking ugly.

by Anonymousreply 60July 21, 2019 12:51 PM

What R59 said. It really doesn't matter if a bunch of gays think Harry Styles is fucking ugly, if millions of girls and women out there think otherwise and buy a movie ticket.

Apart from that DL is overly critical again. He doesn't look like a Disney prince in general and especially not like Eric. But "fucking ugly" is a bit exaggerated, I think. His face is not uninteresting, if you get the right angle and light.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61July 21, 2019 3:18 PM

The second Prince Harry

by Anonymousreply 62July 22, 2019 2:55 AM

Everyone has an opinion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63July 23, 2019 1:43 PM

Rumors about this have quieted down.

by Anonymousreply 64August 2, 2019 11:17 PM

yesssssssssssss would be awesome

by Anonymousreply 65August 2, 2019 11:22 PM

Why have all these Disney live action movies been pure crap? The only one that had any life or passion was Cinderella where at least Cate was there to camp it up as the evil stepmother. The rest have been poorly cast and conceived.

There's not a hint of passion or fun. There's no crime in re-telling these stories and I don't feel like it's crapping on my childhood for there to be a remake, but if you're going to do it, why not try something different. A black Little Mermaid is at least a noble start, but I'd love for them to maybe go back to the original story where it doesn't have a happy ending and tell that version. Or maybe change up the songs with stuff by a different composer? Actually re-tell the story from scratch.

All these movies feel like going to Disney World and seeing the live action versions of your favorite characters. The same costumes and grisly smiles don't always look as good on humans.

by Anonymousreply 66August 2, 2019 11:24 PM

Zac Ephron is too old now, but at one point her really could have been a good match to the animated character.

by Anonymousreply 67August 2, 2019 11:38 PM

no doubt bout it, harry puts assess in the seats, and his is a good actor...

by Anonymousreply 68August 2, 2019 11:49 PM

I like Harry and I have nothing against Disney movies, but I think combined it's a bad idea. If Harry was still in a boy band, sure, it makes sense. But with his new music and all, it doesn't feel like a good fit, both for Harry and for Disney.

I think a young, handsome, unknown actor would be great as Eric, maybe someone with a mixed race or Latino background in order to not have a narrative of a young black woman giving everything up for an older white man.

And Harry, as he hardly needs a big company like Disney to get his name out there, he would do so much better in a good indie movie, that gives him a chance to display a complex, interesting character or something similar to his debut film. He had a great debut with Dunkirk - an Oscar winning Christopher Nolan film! Why turn around now and do a Disney live-action remake? I think it would set him back and it would also interefere with releasing his second album, which I think is much more important than a movie now.

by Anonymousreply 69August 3, 2019 12:26 AM

yesssssssssssssssssssssssssss

by Anonymousreply 70August 5, 2019 4:32 AM

Harry is a damn good actor, has the looks and brain to go all the way.

by Anonymousreply 71August 5, 2019 9:06 AM

[quote] no doubt bout it, harry puts assess in the seats, and his is a good actor...

[quote] Harry is a damn good actor, has the looks and brain to go all the way.

His acting credits consist of:

1 episode of I Carly

a supporting role in Dunkirk

by Anonymousreply 72August 5, 2019 2:59 PM

Rob Marshall is a terrible film director.

It pisses me off every time I hear he has gotten another project.

by Anonymousreply 73August 5, 2019 3:11 PM

Marshall has made one good film (Chicago) and one semi-watchable one (Into the Woods). Each time, he got lucky with great casts who could actually sing the roles and with screenwriters who knew what they were doing.

by Anonymousreply 74August 5, 2019 5:30 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't go as far as saying he's "a damn good actor", he just hasn't acted enough to support such a claim. And I mean, he wasn't exactly Oscar material in iCarly lol. But it's safe to say that he was pretty good in his supporting role in Dunkirk, which is promising for an acting career. He certainly has the right face for the big screen and (as was mentioned) he has a large fanbase that is willing to watch his movies.

I still hope he stays far away from Disney movies and Rob Marshall.

by Anonymousreply 75August 5, 2019 8:53 PM

[quote] But it's safe to say that he was pretty good in his supporting role in Dunkirk, which is promising for an acting career. He certainly has the right face for the big screen and (as was mentioned) he has a large fanbase that is willing to watch his movies.

His fan base is certainly not as large as Madonna’s and her fan base did not = blockbuster movie results.

His face is average and he usually looks like he does not bathe.

He may prove to be a good actor and a box office draw. Right now we really don’t know that either are true.

by Anonymousreply 76August 5, 2019 9:31 PM

As I said "a fan base that is willing to watch his movies". Madonna has certainly a way larger fan base than Harry, but I'd say Harry's fans (as .. er... passionate as they are) are more willing to sit in a movie they wouldn't watch otherwise than Madonna's. I mean, his fans are mostly young women aged 15-35 and they still watched Nolan's Dunkirk. Therefore I'd rather compare his fan base to Taylor Swift's fan base for example. It's still not a guarantee for box office success, but I bet a lot of Swifties will still watch the dumpster fire that Cats is, just because Taylor is in it.

And while facial aesthetics certainly come down to personal preference, there are definitely some uglier people working in Hollywood. Don't really understand the "not bathing" thing, Is it because he had long hair in 2015?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77August 5, 2019 10:26 PM

R77, No, not the long hair. He was fine until right around the end of his solo tour. Then something changed. His whole way of dressing was different. And, it wasn't good.

by Anonymousreply 78August 6, 2019 4:43 AM

Nice hot fakes! Get your nice hot fakes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79August 6, 2019 5:03 AM

Louis wont like that.

by Anonymousreply 80August 6, 2019 7:10 AM

yay !!!!! ide pay to see that movie twice,,,,harry rocks!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 81August 6, 2019 7:31 AM

harry is one of the great beautys of this decade.

by Anonymousreply 82August 6, 2019 7:36 AM

[quote] harry is one of the great beautys of this decade.

No ma'am and Oh Dear.

by Anonymousreply 83August 6, 2019 10:18 AM

lol the sarcastic hyperbole... But honestly, even if he's not my type, I can see it. He has pretty eyes and a certain charm. Maybe it's the crooked smile or the cheekiness or the Northern drawl, but he's got something and combined with the fact that he can sing and has a certain stage presence, I get why all those teenage girls (and some boys) went crazy over him. And he seems like a fairly good kid and normal person considering that he was a teenage pop sensation. I hope he makes it, now that he's solo and trying out acting. There are worse people out there in the entertainment world.

by Anonymousreply 84August 6, 2019 5:09 PM

[quote] There are worse people out there in the entertainment world.

Goes without saying. There are worse and there are also those who are much better.

by Anonymousreply 85August 6, 2019 8:29 PM

It's official

by Anonymousreply 86August 13, 2019 7:57 PM

Not yet... Disinsider said so and tweeted it and then a lot of cinema chains and news outlets tweeted it too and all hell broke lose on twitter. Until a few entertainment journalists said it WASN'T official yet and suddenly all those tweets disappeared. This is quite stressful.

I guess we won't have an official announcement until D23.

by Anonymousreply 87August 13, 2019 8:59 PM

The Wrap reports that Harry turned down the role.

I guess they wouldn’t take the role of Ariel away from Halle Bailey and give it to Stevie Nicks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88August 13, 2019 10:31 PM

Thank God

It would have been like raping my childhood to see that muppetface play Prince Eric

by Anonymousreply 89August 13, 2019 11:05 PM

Thank God, he would have been so wasted on a damn Disney live-action remake. I'm opening a bottle of champagne now. He really turned Disney down lol. Such good news! And his new album is coming soon too, great times indeed.

by Anonymousreply 90August 13, 2019 11:12 PM

Thank god he turned it down. He’s not attractive enough to play a prince.

by Anonymousreply 91August 13, 2019 11:16 PM

All PR nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 92August 14, 2019 2:06 AM

Would love to bareback him and shoot a load inside him

by Anonymousreply 93August 14, 2019 4:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!