Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Should Corporations Denounce Trump's Racist Comments About The Squad?

WaPo pointed out today that few corporations had publicly said anything.

Should they (I think so.)

What if Nike and Apple and Starbucks and Ford and GM all put out statements saying they are denouncing Trump's racist comments and call on him to retract them.

Nike in particular, bends over backwards to delete some Betsy Ross flag shoe because Collin K was unhappy about it, but this they let pass?

What think you all DLers?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 22, 2019 9:39 PM

I want to see The Squad with their own TV show.

It just might be more entertaining than that Carrie Bradshaw codswallop.

by Anonymousreply 1July 16, 2019 6:24 PM

Agreed, OP. Corporations have been silent too much for too long.

by Anonymousreply 2July 16, 2019 6:27 PM

Remember the story about how they were all contributing to Trump's mistress slush fund through Cohen?

by Anonymousreply 3July 16, 2019 6:30 PM

No, no need to give them more attention.

by Anonymousreply 4July 16, 2019 6:39 PM

the corporations have no power over Trump

by Anonymousreply 5July 16, 2019 6:43 PM

I think it's a bit early for the corporations to be stepping in. HOWEVER, I'm sure they are watching the Republicans and how they handle this issue. It will be handled badly--as usual. It will be at that time that the corporations will step in to denounce Trump's nonsense. Or, they will issue a generic press release about how their company opposes all discrimination, etc, etc, etc...

But, on the sly... they will still contribute massively to the Trump 2020 re-election campaign

by Anonymousreply 6July 16, 2019 6:43 PM

Anyone who says anything negative about Trump has power over him R5

He couldn't let Bette Midler's comments go. Imagine if Nike dissed him.

by Anonymousreply 7July 16, 2019 7:05 PM

I don’t think they should say anything. Purely from a business perspective, they will alienate some of their consumers. Maybe not a lot, depending on the company, but some. There’s no reason for a company to risk alienating any of their customers, much less a tweet from an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 8July 16, 2019 7:23 PM

Why is it okay for companies like Hobby Lobby and Chik-Fil-A and Outback to "risk alienating its customers" with its antigay, anti-woman, anti-labor statements and policies, but NOT okay for companies to denounce obvious RACIST and SEXIST, inflammatory language from the President of the United States?

by Anonymousreply 9July 16, 2019 7:35 PM

Bingo R9

And what new customers could NIke alienate after the Betsy Ross shoe/supporting Collin K thing? Trumpistas pretty much all already hate them.

by Anonymousreply 10July 16, 2019 7:52 PM

R9, I didn’t say it was alright. I said it would be stupid to make any comments.

by Anonymousreply 11July 16, 2019 8:21 PM

[Quote] Why is it okay for companies like Hobby Lobby and Chik-Fil-A and Outback to "risk alienating its customers" with its antigay, anti-woman, anti-labor statements and policies,

Because their marketing research shows their customers are ok with antigay, anti-woman, anti-labor statements and policies.

by Anonymousreply 12July 16, 2019 8:52 PM

It would just give Trump the attention he craves.

by Anonymousreply 13July 16, 2019 9:29 PM

Why does a corporation have to comment on this?

by Anonymousreply 14July 16, 2019 9:37 PM

Corporations are corporations with their eye on the big money.

They aren't hysterical SJWs chasing minutia over which to be offended.

by Anonymousreply 15July 16, 2019 9:42 PM

[quote]SJWs chasing minutia

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 16July 16, 2019 9:47 PM

OK, R16, corporations are corporations with their eye on the big money. They aren't hysterical SJWs chasing minutiae over which to be offended.

by Anonymousreply 17July 16, 2019 9:51 PM

Lerv you, r17.

by Anonymousreply 18July 16, 2019 9:57 PM

You will notice, R16, there is no preposition at the end of the sentence.

by Anonymousreply 19July 16, 2019 9:59 PM

I see what you did there.

Now I have to have a cigarette.

by Anonymousreply 20July 16, 2019 10:05 PM

ESPN's Dan Le Batard called out both Trump for being a racist and ESPN for not denouncing him for it.

Gathering a lot of positive steam here in sportsball land.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 19, 2019 5:48 PM

Corporations, no. Republicans in Congress and Republicans in State positions, yes. UPenn President Amy Gutmann should be saying things more often about what a shit stain the Trumps are on its reputation.

Macron, Trudeau and Obrador should name and shame the language.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 19, 2019 5:57 PM

No. The more we demand that corporations act like people, the more we validate Citizen's United upholding the rights of corporations to make political expenditures under the First Amendment.

Corporations are not people. If we insist that they denounce Trump's comments, then we also agree that they have the right to support these types of comments, as well. It works both ways.

by Anonymousreply 23July 19, 2019 6:18 PM

And, here they come;

A top CEO calls out Trump's racism

ondon (CNN Business)The CEO of German industrial giant Siemens says that President Donald Trump is becoming a symbol of intolerance following his attacks on four female members of Congress.

"I find it depressing that the most important political office in the world is turning into the face of racism and exclusion," Joe Kaeser said Saturday on Twitter.

Kaeser's remarks are the most prominent criticism from the business world to a Trump rally last week in North Carolina. The US president attacked Somali-born Minnesota Representative Ilhan Omar and the crowd chanted "Send her back! Send her back!"

The rally followed a series of racist tweets in which Trump suggested that four minority congresswomen "go back" to their home countries. Three were born in America and all four are US citizens.

Kaeser suggested that Trump's attacks do not reflect the America he knows. "I lived in the USA for many years and experienced freedom, tolerance and openness as never before," he added in his Twitter (TWTR) post.

Kaeser, who started work at Siemens in 1980, has demonstrated a willingness to speak frankly on controversial political issues.

Siemens (SIEGY) wrote an open letter to its employees in the German state of Saxony in 2018 after anti-immigration protesters there were photographed giving the outlawed Nazi salute. The letter denounced xenophobia.

Earlier in the year, Kaeser sharply criticized a German lawmaker, saying that their nationalism would harm the country's prosperity.

"I'm there to represent the company and be accountable to the shareholders; on the other hand, if people turn their head away. ... Well, we had that time in Germany," Kaeser told the Financial Times in May 2018.

"Nobody spoke up. Then it was too late," he added.

Kaeser also took a stand when he pulled out of Saudi Arabia's Future Investment Initiative following the murder of Jamal Khashoggi at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, Turkey.

"As soon as I heard of his death, it was clear to me that we couldn't simply move on and do business as usual," Kaeser said last October.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 22, 2019 2:40 PM

Corporations? Oh! Please! They only embrace movements or denounce actions, because it's good for business. For instance, It's all well and good when companies and corporations embrace anti-racist or anti-gay policies, such as what Nike has done. Good for them for embracing Colin Kaepernick or having a Rainbow Swoosh T-Shirt. Nike is progressive...Bravo! It's good public relations. And it's good for sales.

It also deflects from the fact that Nike's products are manufactured by workers paid a pittance in nations with authoritarian regimes with appalling records on human rights.

Adopt non-discriminatory policies, but also engage in fair labor practices.

by Anonymousreply 25July 22, 2019 4:12 PM

I think The Squad needs a bit more grooming advice before they can win our votes as the new sassy, Sex-&-The-City gals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 22, 2019 9:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!