Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Can I Let My Bisexual Boyfriend Sleep With Other People—but Only Men, and Only on Top?

I’m a straight(-ish) woman in a relationship with a bisexual man. (We’re both in our early 30s.) He told me, soon after we got intimate, that he’s had sex with men for most of his adult life, though he’s only ever dated women. We got more serious, and we’re now exclusive and a year into our relationship. He’s always said he’s willing to be a one-person guy but would like to open things up when I feel ready, because he does have a high sex drive and desires that go in a lot of different directions. I now feel ready for this, but I’m struggling a bit with the limitations that I want to put on the situation. I really only feel OK with him seeing other men for sex, not women, and I’m not comfortable with him being the receptive partner with other men. This is mainly because of higher risk of STIs, though he’s said he would go on PrEP, but I also am just not comfortable with the idea of him putting himself in a vulnerable position with another man. (He said he’s done both positions in the past.) Are these reasonable boundaries to have, or am I overstepping? The discussions are just beginning, and I haven’t told him how I feel yet.

—Rules of Engagement

Dear Rules of Engagement,

I’ve noticed in my limited research on polyamorous people that veto rules are rather unchic. That is, most people I’ve talked to and read about within that community aren’t OK with their primary partners dictating the terms of any of their other partnerships (including whom those partnerships are with). It’s a lovely philosophy, the idea that the bond of love needs no rules, as well as a potential working example of the cliché that goes, “If you love something, set it free; if it comes back, it’s yours.” But I am sure it’s not without its drama. Personally, I can’t imagine an open scenario that isn’t informed by my partner’s wishes. (Granted, I am not poly, just slutty.)

So, speaking on principle, I don’t see anything wrong with you setting stipulations that will help make your partner’s dalliances more palatable for you. Practically speaking is another matter. I think, in general, you have to understand that his brain off sex and on sex are two very different entities. You can tell him you’d prefer that he didn’t bottom, but don’t be surprised if he ends up doing so because his dick was hard, the other dick looked like it needed a friend, and one thing led to another and his butt inhaled it. It’s really hard to referee each play remotely, though I think a general expectation of sexual safety (however you define that: condoms, PrEP, no fluid bonding, etc.) is crucial. I think you’ll have more success in drawing partner-gender boundaries, since coordinating is generally done before sex brain really sets in. This isn’t to say you shouldn’t set boundaries and your boyfriend shouldn’t follow them—I just think that particular one may be difficult to enforce.

To your STI concerns, yes, receptive partners typically are at higher risk, but you don’t have to bottom to be receptive. (If he’s giving head, he’s receptive, and if he’s like the vast majority of the population, he’s not using condoms when he does that.) Some STIs are highly contagious regardless of the position; I feel sometimes like a stiff breeze is all I need to contract gonorrhea. HPV is like glitter. I don’t mean to freak you out. I only want to point out that in light of this sea of threatening microbes we’ve found ourselves floating in, these positioning concerns often amount to splitting hairs. As to whether bottoming makes someone more vulnerable, it really depends on how you do it and whether you have predilections for vulnerability in the first place. Putting your dick in the mouth of a stranger who could bite it off without a hell of a lot of effort and of whose history you know nothing? Pretty damn vulnerable.

As for the rest, it’s going to play out the way it’s going to play out. In my own experience with open arrangements, another very effective guideline I have noticed is: “Don’t ask, don’t tell.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38July 18, 2019 12:04 PM

Yeah, while some women are okay with having a bi boyfriend, almost no woman wants a man who has been penetrated. It undermines his manliness and attractiveness

by Anonymousreply 1July 16, 2019 8:04 PM

You "let" your boyfriend do this stuff with other men?

I'm sorry, dear, but you are an idiot. Or else this is a bogus thread.

by Anonymousreply 2July 16, 2019 8:13 PM

Let's not jump to conclusions, R2: it could easily be both.

by Anonymousreply 3July 16, 2019 8:14 PM

Her bf is probably a gang bang bottom pig on the DL.

by Anonymousreply 4July 16, 2019 8:17 PM

OP Go ask on a bisexual board, leave us alone

by Anonymousreply 5July 16, 2019 8:17 PM

Only active role

by Anonymousreply 6July 16, 2019 8:41 PM

Cue a torrent of posts from DLers who have had their hearts broken by bisexual men shrieking about how they can't be trusted and that guys like that are really closet cases and cowards and want a traditional life without having to give up cock, yadda yadda yadda.

by Anonymousreply 7July 16, 2019 8:47 PM

Women should not have say in any man’s sex life....period.

by Anonymousreply 8July 16, 2019 8:57 PM

Women should not have say in any man’s sex life....period.

by Anonymousreply 9July 16, 2019 8:57 PM

[Quote]He’s always said he’s willing to be a one-person guy

Except he is obviously not.

Of course this story is no doubt made up, I always assume all this Ask Abbey type shit is.

by Anonymousreply 10July 16, 2019 9:00 PM

If he still feels the need to bang men while he is with you, then he is likely just gay. You’re an experiment for him or a beard. It’s not okay for him to have such an intense urge for cock when he is in a relationship with a woman. Unless he is just some kind of swinger that wants to swap or have you join him with other people then he is probably not ready to admit his homosexuality to himself.

by Anonymousreply 11July 16, 2019 9:03 PM

R11, that’s stupid. Bisexual people don’t cease to desire samesex activity just because they are in an opposite sex relationship. They can be monogamous, but they still will be attracted to the same sex.

by Anonymousreply 12July 16, 2019 9:07 PM

"by RICH JUZWIAK"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 16, 2019 9:07 PM

R12 not if he is only talking about going outside of the relationship with men. OP, is he keen about seeing other women? Or is his focus mainly manly?

by Anonymousreply 14July 16, 2019 9:10 PM

What R8 said. Unless she owns the man's indenture, she has no power to 'let" him do anything. She needs an attitude adjustment.

by Anonymousreply 15July 16, 2019 9:10 PM

"We got more serious, and we’re now exclusive and a year into our relationship. "

Well you're exclusive, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 16July 16, 2019 9:11 PM

Exactly, R16. Polyamory of any orientation(s) only really works if either one partner is asexual or both partners have other partners. This bitch is kidding herself that this will work for her.

by Anonymousreply 17July 16, 2019 9:13 PM

[quote] Only on Top?

Gurl plee..he want that bootyhole busted open!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 16, 2019 9:13 PM

"is his focus mainly manly?"

Or do you mean strickly dickly?

by Anonymousreply 19July 16, 2019 9:14 PM

I’ll give you my honest opinion. After reading this long ass post I think you should cut your losses and dump the guy. Open stuff doesn’t often work out. Especially when your man likes cock and pussy. If his sexual needs are more important to him than your feelings are, then it’s probably not going to be a healthy experience for you. That’s my two cents. Find a partner who is on the same page.

by Anonymousreply 20July 16, 2019 9:16 PM

Every male slut wants to come home to someone who'll cook dinner and massage his feet and never complain and hopefully bear him some children, because even sluts want all the comforts of home and marriage as well as a wild sex life.

Of course, only a complete fool would sign up to be that spouse.

by Anonymousreply 21July 16, 2019 9:17 PM

Only if he's very rich. Then get a generous prenup and get married.

by Anonymousreply 22July 16, 2019 9:21 PM

Most of the married men I have been with want to be fucked. They wanna suck some cock then take it up the ass.

by Anonymousreply 23July 16, 2019 9:21 PM

R21 BOOM! Nail on the head. When a dude tells his partner that he needs to go out and fulfill his sexual needs but wants to come home to you, that is his way of letting you know you will never be enough for him because he is a wackadoodle narcissist jack wagon.

by Anonymousreply 24July 16, 2019 9:21 PM

What would make him worth indulging like this? Maybe if he’s a generous billionaire and looks like Adonis, but even then you’ll end up with vaginal warts and no dignity.

by Anonymousreply 25July 16, 2019 9:28 PM

The STD risk is too great

by Anonymousreply 26July 16, 2019 10:42 PM

[quote]I really only feel OK with him seeing other men for sex, not women, and I’m not comfortable with him being the receptive partner with other men.

The sexually transmitted DISEASE issue is probably the last thing on her mind.

"I feel threatened by other women and must always be the most desired. I don't care if he's with other men because I secretly believe that our straight relationship and sex is superior to anything same-sex and he will never drop me for a 'man' like he might for another woman. I only care if he bottoms because that will make him 'gay' which will mean that he is not a man and I only date men as a straightish (straight) woman. As long as he isn't 'one of them' it's ok. I firmly believe that all straight and bisexual men are tops and all gay men are bottoms. Gay men are not men."

by Anonymousreply 27July 16, 2019 10:56 PM

A lot of men feel the same way about their bisexual female partners wanting sex with other people - it's not cheating as long as it's with another woman. I think there's an element there of not wanting to feel like you're competing and not measuring up to other people of your gender. I don't get it, but I get it.

by Anonymousreply 28July 16, 2019 11:31 PM

What is polyamory, but trying to make people who aren't boyfriend/girlfriend material into boyfriends or girlfriends?

by Anonymousreply 29July 16, 2019 11:51 PM

Find a straight dude.

by Anonymousreply 30July 16, 2019 11:58 PM

Women are so needy when it comes to men. Would a straight man consider a partner who also sleeps with another man?

by Anonymousreply 31July 17, 2019 4:58 AM

Usually not

by Anonymousreply 32July 17, 2019 12:20 PM

translation: gay sex is less legitimate than straight sex, its not as threatening

by Anonymousreply 33July 17, 2019 4:56 PM

Of course

by Anonymousreply 34July 17, 2019 6:25 PM

Most bisexuals who prefer dating females, also tend to be insatiable bottoms when with males.

Hate to bust her bubble, but her fantasy about her partner being a "top" is statistically unlikely.

by Anonymousreply 35July 17, 2019 6:33 PM

[quote] I really only feel OK with him seeing other men for sex, not women.

She probably assumes he would never leave her for a gay man, but might for another female.

Oh honey. A gay guy who knows how to plow a bisexual bottom's ass is BIGGER competition for you than any female.

by Anonymousreply 36July 17, 2019 6:40 PM

[R23] is spot on. I always thought married guys would be tops. They've been almost all bottoms with a rare vers or two in my experience. One of them even told me, he can be top with the wife but with men he wanted fucked. Go figure!

by Anonymousreply 37July 18, 2019 7:27 AM

Not black bisexual dudes

by Anonymousreply 38July 18, 2019 12:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!