Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What's the secret to good tuna salad?

Do you drain all the water/oil or leave some in?

The type of mayo?

The brand of tuna?

I can never get it right.

by Anonymousreply 182July 19, 2019 7:20 PM

Put some of this in it, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 15, 2019 4:01 PM

Get all the water out. Start with less mayo—it can get soupy fast. Add celery, a hard-boiled egg, cucumber, red onion, relish—any combo. Sliced tomato and a bit of lettuce on a sandwich but never mixed into salad. I also do a version with olive oil (just a little) and capers that people really like.

by Anonymousreply 2July 15, 2019 4:01 PM

Mayonnaise on its own is too sweet for tuna salad -- so add a dollop of sour cream to cut that sweetness.

by Anonymousreply 3July 15, 2019 4:05 PM

OP - be sure you toss the tuna salad.

by Anonymousreply 4July 15, 2019 4:21 PM

Never use the tuna in oil! Packed in water only OP. Add celery and onions, salt and pepper, and serve it on toast.

by Anonymousreply 5July 15, 2019 4:27 PM

I find most of the tuna salads sold at delis and supermarkets kind of bland and boring. When I was in Boston, I had a tuna salad sandwich at the Flour bakery and loved it. Here's their recipe, it's a bit unorthodox since it contains curry powder, carrots, apples and golden raisins, but it's delicious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 15, 2019 4:33 PM

Don't forget to add some salt. If you find food a little bland, it needs some salt. And yes, getting out all the water is important.

by Anonymousreply 7July 15, 2019 4:37 PM

Capers go well with tuna, as does garlic.

by Anonymousreply 8July 15, 2019 4:37 PM

C E L E R Y S E E D

by Anonymousreply 9July 15, 2019 4:39 PM

Use WHOLE boiled eggs. They're like flavor bombs!

by Anonymousreply 10July 15, 2019 4:42 PM

First you must use tuna in oil. Then you must use chicken in place of the tuna.

Then use Miracle Whip in place of mayo

and finally never use any fat in it.

by Anonymousreply 11July 15, 2019 4:43 PM

r8 Oh please, that's what people say when they want to look like they know what they are talking about.

by Anonymousreply 12July 15, 2019 4:44 PM

It's all about the relish, OP. Some is sweet. Some is not. Some has vinegar. Get the relish right and you'll be happy.

The tuna has no taste. The mayo doesn't have much. Neither does celery. Hard boiled eggs are just disgusting. Don't ever include them in something you intend to be food.

It's all about the relish.

by Anonymousreply 13July 15, 2019 4:44 PM

First off, look for tonno not tuna

by Anonymousreply 14July 15, 2019 4:47 PM

I have always loved tuna fish salad sandwiches and I'm 62

by Anonymousreply 15July 15, 2019 4:47 PM

Bumblebee solid white albacore in water, drain as completely as possible.

Coarse ground black pepper, one or 2 stalks chopped celery.

Hellman’s mayo (I like my tuna salad pretty “wet”).

Good toasted white bread, thick sliced tomato, kosher salt. Side of chips, iced tea.

That’s my go to.

by Anonymousreply 16July 15, 2019 4:48 PM

Jimmy Johns puts around a teaspoon of soy sauce in their tuna.

by Anonymousreply 17July 15, 2019 4:48 PM

I am not a DL hostess-with-the-mostest type OP, but someone turned me on to this a few months back and it's awesome AF: add Trader Joe's Everything Bagel seasoning to your tuna salad-- I just use mayo because time savings, but it will blow your mind.

ETA: When I went to look for a link (no idea why Amazon sells it) there are dozens of articles on all the ways people use this stuff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 15, 2019 4:51 PM

Spoonful of relish - India or sweet pickle.

Spoonful of kalamata olives that have been run through a food processor.

Dash of red pepper flakes.

by Anonymousreply 19July 15, 2019 5:00 PM

As other posters said, use the kind of tuna packed in water and then get every single drop of water out of it. I also add chopped celery (and I use a paper towel to squeeze excess water out of the celery) and chopped onion. Don't use hard boiled eggs unless you want it to taste like tuna-egg salad. I like tuna salad and I like egg salad, but not combined. I use Hellman's real mayo (go easy at first, you can always add more) and I like it on lightly toasted bakery wheat or sour dough with romaine lettuce and sliced tomato. A Claussen dill pickle and potato chips on the side and you've got a delicious lunch. P.S. I was never a Miracle Whip fan until a guy I dated introduced me to it. Now I like it on occasion, as a change, although Hellman's is still what I prefer most of the time.

by Anonymousreply 20July 15, 2019 5:01 PM

In England we sometimes add kernels of sweet corn to the mix. I also like a few slices of cucumber added, but not with the corn.

by Anonymousreply 21July 15, 2019 5:02 PM

I never realized how prissy so many gay men were until threads like this come up.

The whole joy of tuna salad is you open the can, dump some mayo or Miracle Whip on it, grab a box of crackers and you're GTG

by Anonymousreply 22July 15, 2019 5:04 PM

Store bought tuna salad always has sugar in it.

by Anonymousreply 23July 15, 2019 5:04 PM

Raisins should NEVER be in tuna salad.

by Anonymousreply 24July 15, 2019 5:05 PM

Don’t laugh but a small bit of creamy horseradish.

by Anonymousreply 25July 15, 2019 5:05 PM

And an anchovy!

by Anonymousreply 26July 15, 2019 5:06 PM

I second R21, sliced cucumber is wonderful on a tuna salad sandwich, with tomato and spinach (instead of romaine).

by Anonymousreply 27July 15, 2019 5:10 PM

I would use water-packed tuna, drained and slightly pressed / squeezed of excess water.

Simple: add mayo (Best Foods) and a spoon of sweet pickle relish with a little extra pickle juice. Surprisingly delicious.

More complicated: add mayo and finely chopped raw, white onion. Maybe some finely chopped celery. Hard boiled egg, capers.

by Anonymousreply 28July 15, 2019 5:13 PM

I sometimes do a tuna salad with cannellini beans, capers, tomato, spring onion, and lots of fresh herbs and extra virgin olive oil. No mayo.

by Anonymousreply 29July 15, 2019 5:14 PM

Thank you r24, I gagged reading that.

by Anonymousreply 30July 15, 2019 5:16 PM

Also. I use Vidalia onions. And lots of them. Scallions good too.

by Anonymousreply 31July 15, 2019 5:24 PM

Dill.

by Anonymousreply 32July 15, 2019 5:27 PM

Drano crystals add a delicate piquancy.

by Anonymousreply 33July 15, 2019 5:28 PM

Publix Chunky Chicken Breast Chicken Salad is the best.

by Anonymousreply 34July 15, 2019 5:29 PM

Once had a tuna sandwich with tarragon in it. I love that for chicken salad but it was new to me for tuna. It actually worked.

by Anonymousreply 35July 15, 2019 5:31 PM

R29

Are you Italian? I make a great tuna salad with cannellini beans, sliced red onion and extra virgin olive oil. One of our fishes on Christmas Eve's Feast of the Seven Fishes.

by Anonymousreply 36July 15, 2019 5:31 PM

Splash of lemon juice helps a lot

by Anonymousreply 37July 15, 2019 5:31 PM

Tuna salad needs sweet and umami. Some delicious relish, some very fine chopped celery, capers, and a dash of soy sauce or fish sauce. Sometimes a white bean can be added to complement the tuna. Mayonnaise. Toasted bread. Can be had with fresh summer tomatoes but otherwise don't bother as you won't get the full umami in the tomato.

by Anonymousreply 38July 15, 2019 5:34 PM

Don't say things like that, R33. Some of the people here aren't very smart!

by Anonymousreply 39July 15, 2019 5:35 PM

Oregano, onion, salt and pepper, and bread and butter pickles.

by Anonymousreply 40July 15, 2019 5:37 PM

A white bean would only compliment about a teaspoon of tuna, R38.

I NEED MORE!!!

by Anonymousreply 41July 15, 2019 6:12 PM

I only use the tuna in the foil packets because it has much less water. I never use tuna packed in oil. I"m not particular about the brand of tuna, just that it's a good quality brand. But I use both white and dark tuna because I think the dark tuna has more taste. I only use Dukes mayonnaise. I also put in a little honey mustard, and I only use the most tender inner stalks of celery, never the outer hard stalks. I don't use the bottled sweet pickle relish. I use sweet gherkins and dice them myself along with some finely diced Vidalia onion. I season with a house blend of garlic powder/salt/pepper.

People love my tuna salad.

by Anonymousreply 42July 15, 2019 6:28 PM

I always use tuna in oil. Tuna packed in water will not mix with mayo as water and oil don't mix. No matter how well you drain it. If you buy the tuna in oil you can use much less mayo. Build flavor with add-ins like capers, celery, etc.

by Anonymousreply 43July 15, 2019 7:53 PM

Always green onion, never white / red etc. onions.

by Anonymousreply 44July 15, 2019 7:56 PM

[quote]small bit of creamy horseradish.

What? That's the gay guy on Kotter.

by Anonymousreply 45July 15, 2019 8:10 PM

[quote] Build flavor with add-ins like capers, celery, etc.

That means you don't know what you're talking about, every "cook" uses capers and celery when they don't know what to say.. I'm surprised you didn't say "add a bit of parsley"

by Anonymousreply 46July 15, 2019 8:12 PM

I make a Tunisian tuna salad.

1. Albacore packed in water, drained as much as possible

2. Table spoon of harissa, you can use less, I just like it very spicy.

3. Lemon juice

4. Tea spoon of olive oil

5. Diced red onion

6. Salt and pepper.

I mash it all together, and put it on a good bread with sliced hard boiled eggs, black olives and a coriander,cucumber, tomato salad (arabic salad)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47July 15, 2019 8:33 PM

Tuna packed in water is tasteless and gross. Not just my opinion - Julia Child's opinion. Moreover water soluble vitamins get leached out of foods packed in water. Also chunk light tuna is more flavorful than albacore tuna. Drain tuna, add mayo, a little bit of sweet relish, and/or sweet pickle juice, maybe some capers, and life is good. No to raw onion, no to hard boiled eggs.

by Anonymousreply 48July 15, 2019 8:47 PM

Please save all of the tuna water you drain off for me. I'm running low on douche.

by Anonymousreply 49July 15, 2019 9:24 PM

My mother always added a few chopped walnuts -- adds some nice crunch (and walnuts are good for you.) I also add scallions and lemon juice (and mayo.)

by Anonymousreply 50July 15, 2019 9:25 PM

When I had a coupe of cats. both were freaks for discarded tuna water.

FUH-reeeeks, I say!

by Anonymousreply 51July 15, 2019 9:33 PM

Why would you use hard boiled eggs in tuna salad? It's not egg salad - it's TUNA SALAD. Some of you are so low rent. Honestly.

by Anonymousreply 52July 15, 2019 10:11 PM

[quote]First you must use tuna in oil. Then you must use chicken in place of the tuna.

I was looking up a recipe the other day and some lady gave it 5 stars after replacing the basil with spinach, the mushrooms with canned corn, the rice with mashed potatoes and the tomatoes with ketchup.

You two would get along famously!

by Anonymousreply 53July 16, 2019 3:07 PM

Years ago, R6, my grandmother from Brookline made tuna sandwiches from what must have been that same recipe with the curry powder and the golden raisins. People used to use a lot more curry powder back then. I guess it was considered exotic.

They were so much better than my Mom's tuna sandwiches: tuna and mayo on bread.

by Anonymousreply 54July 16, 2019 3:25 PM

R48 Julia Child was also a homophobe who thought it was OK to serve her guests food after she'd dropped it on the floor.

I can't take her opinions as gospel.

by Anonymousreply 55July 16, 2019 3:29 PM

I add some hot and sweet jalapenos (plus some of the brine) from Trader Joe's to mine. Delish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56July 16, 2019 3:33 PM

Tuna in oil drained - sandwich spread, mayo, red onions, sweet relish, mustard and a pinch of sugar. With chopped thick bacon if you're feeling zany!

by Anonymousreply 57July 16, 2019 3:58 PM

Pork and tuna fish R57? Sandwich spread?? You have terrible taste and should stay quiet.

by Anonymousreply 58July 16, 2019 4:30 PM

Whole Foods does a tuna salad with cranberries in it. Sounds weird, but it's pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 59July 16, 2019 4:37 PM

I’ve had that r59. Not bad.

by Anonymousreply 60July 16, 2019 4:51 PM

R58 shut the hell up unless you've tried it. Its the same as adding bacon to chicken salad. I also forgot chopped boiled eggs. - 1 for every can of tuna

by Anonymousreply 61July 16, 2019 4:59 PM

[quote]I was looking up a recipe the other day and some lady gave it 5 stars after replacing the basil with spinach, the mushrooms with canned corn, the rice with mashed potatoes and the tomatoes with ketchup.

At least she gave it 5 stars. So often, those people list all the ingredients they changed or omitted, then end with "and I thought your recipe was awful."

by Anonymousreply 62July 16, 2019 5:00 PM

R61 disgusting. I'm embarrassed for your poor taste. Tuna salad and chicken salad are not interchangeable.

by Anonymousreply 63July 16, 2019 5:24 PM

I had bacon on a tuna melt once and it didn't really work. Not sure bacon tastes good in any salad with a mayo-based dressing that already has a meat in it. It's good in pasta salad where the bacon is the only meat, though.

by Anonymousreply 64July 16, 2019 5:32 PM

No hard boiled eggs EVER!

by Anonymousreply 65July 16, 2019 5:33 PM

A good douche beforehand.

by Anonymousreply 66July 16, 2019 5:37 PM

Raisins, but not too much.

by Anonymousreply 67July 16, 2019 6:35 PM

Tuna melts are tough to do well. If they are too gooey, they just get wet and gross. But a tuna melt done correctly is heaven. Jarlsberg cheese is the best.

by Anonymousreply 68July 16, 2019 7:15 PM

Not Best Foods mayo, but Duke's and only Duke's for all your mayo needs!

by Anonymousreply 69July 16, 2019 7:23 PM

Duke's? Feh.

CAINS!

by Anonymousreply 70July 16, 2019 7:24 PM

Duke's: Feh

Cain's: Jesus, double FEH FEH. That stuff's shite

Hellmann's (or Best Foods west of the Rockies) is all there is.

by Anonymousreply 71July 16, 2019 7:55 PM

R63 You and your needless pretensions are boring. Is tuna really that important to you? Get a life

by Anonymousreply 72July 16, 2019 8:18 PM

TUNA IS LIFE R72!!! Without tuna where would any of us be? Nowhere!

by Anonymousreply 73July 16, 2019 8:28 PM

I make my own mayonnaise.

Store bought? Out of the question!

by Anonymousreply 74July 16, 2019 8:41 PM

[quote] chunk light tuna

AKA cat food

by Anonymousreply 75July 16, 2019 8:53 PM

Semen. Just a dollop.

by Anonymousreply 76July 16, 2019 10:23 PM

Blue Plate mayo is the best for tuna salad.

by Anonymousreply 77July 16, 2019 10:28 PM

Another vote for adding a chopped hard-boiled egg. I, too, add just a few chopped walnuts for some texture. I'm intrigued by someone above's addition of Everything Bagel seasoning, but not enough to go out and buy a whole jar of it just for the occasional tuna salad.

by Anonymousreply 78July 16, 2019 10:40 PM

Sometimes I will add chopped pickled ginger to it if I have some leftover in the fridge.

by Anonymousreply 79July 16, 2019 10:43 PM

I just stick with dark tuna packed in oil, drained, Hellman's mayo, sweet pickle relish, diced celery, diced red onion, and some cracked black pepper. I generally don't add any salt because the tuna and mayo already have salt in them.

Aside from that - I always top my tuna salad sandwiches with some Frank's Red Hot. I've never tried mixing it in directly into the tuna salad though, yet.

by Anonymousreply 80July 16, 2019 10:49 PM

Oh, and if you are going to try out some imported bands of tuna, read the labels carefully. I just recently noticed that Cento brand tuna packed in olive oil, actually comes from Thailand and is packaged in NJ - it's not even from Italy at all. Where they source their tuna from is printed on the bottom of the can.

by Anonymousreply 81July 16, 2019 10:53 PM

R81 here bands = brands, my bad

by Anonymousreply 82July 16, 2019 10:54 PM

You know, you can always vary your tuna salad by whatever you have on hand.

You don't have to slavishly make it the same way every ding-dang time.

Live a little, break free from your tuna salad chains!

by Anonymousreply 83July 16, 2019 11:09 PM

R48 I'm glad that you mentioned Julia Child. I recall her saying that she couldn't understand the appeal of canned tuna in water when tuna packed in vegetable broth was much better tasting. Another Childism was her disdain for rinsing pasta (I believe this has been covered before in DL) . She maintained that all the flavour of pasta was in the starch.

by Anonymousreply 84July 16, 2019 11:13 PM

Cunt juice. It needs cunt juice.

by Anonymousreply 85July 16, 2019 11:26 PM

We use fresh tuna lightly grilled for our salad. Capers, a little scallion chopped, homemade mayo.

But, better, do a full Nicoise.

If you don't have fresh tuna, make chicken salad.

by Anonymousreply 86July 16, 2019 11:35 PM

Does anyone here put cheese slices on their tuna salad sandwiches?

On occasion I will get one at Subways and they always ask me what kind of cheese I’d like. The first time I was asked the question, I thought the guy behind the counter was joking.

by Anonymousreply 87July 16, 2019 11:47 PM

The best tuna is the simplest tuna. Tuna, onion, sweet relish, mayo, salt and pepper to taste.

On a side note, how did Dukes become DL's mayo of choice? I've been here awhile but don't remember. My Grammy used Duke's all the time, but we were from small town.

by Anonymousreply 88July 16, 2019 11:47 PM

Tried Duke's, went back to Blue Plate.

by Anonymousreply 89July 16, 2019 11:50 PM

[quote]onion, sweet relish

Is this a poverty thing?

by Anonymousreply 90July 17, 2019 12:14 AM

I like tuna salad made in different ways, depending on what I'm craving. I grew up with Miracle Whip, so I (rarely) have a craving for tuna salad made with that, but I usually use mayonnaise. I like a bit of horseradish, as well as some brown mustard. But, after watching Julia Child prepare Salade Nicoise, her simple oil-packed tuna with freshly prepared vinaigrette is my favorite. I like it on whole wheat bread, with a chiffonade of iceberg lettuce and a few slices of pickled banana peppers.

by Anonymousreply 91July 17, 2019 12:15 AM

The sweet relish addition is probably a poverty thing, but it does taste good.

by Anonymousreply 92July 17, 2019 12:29 AM

I use tuna packed in water and Miracle Whip (for a slight zing of lemon). I add celery and diced apples.

by Anonymousreply 93July 17, 2019 12:37 AM

How is sweet relish poverty related? We weren't the Gottrocks, but we did okay.

by Anonymousreply 94July 17, 2019 12:42 AM

[quote] with a chiffonade of iceberg lettuce

MARY!!!

by Anonymousreply 95July 17, 2019 12:42 AM

The secret is to mix it up in a food processor. It holds together better. I use albacore in oil, mix with mayo and sour cream. Add celery.

For a tuna melt, I toast an English muffin, top with cheese and melt under the broiler. The cheese melts quickly so the tuna doesn't really get hot.

Pickles and chips on the side.

by Anonymousreply 96July 17, 2019 12:48 AM

1 can albacore in water, a cup and a half of good mayonnaise (store bought is fine), fresh ground pepper, and kosher salt. Serve with rosemary roasted potato salad and a handle of gin. How bad can that be?

by Anonymousreply 97July 17, 2019 12:52 AM

I make mine with farm fresh tuna and farm fresh salt.

by Anonymousreply 98July 17, 2019 12:55 AM

r98: I also always buy my tuna farm fresh. It's just so....so fresh if it comes from the farm.

by Anonymousreply 99July 17, 2019 1:07 AM

Usually, along with mayonnaise, I use dill relish, which adds a bit of crunchiness and complements the flavour of the tuna. However, after reading all the recommendations for sweet relish, I'll have to buy some and give that a try.

For variety - get your throwing tomatoes ready, everyone - I sometimes use Ranch dressing instead of mayonnaise.

by Anonymousreply 100July 17, 2019 1:10 AM

Should we be killing our own tuna before we turn them into a salad? Maybe give it a name and a backstory first, and then gut it and slather it in mayonnaise? It feels like the humane thing to do.

If not, I like adding crushed Lay's potato chips on mine, on Wonder bread.

by Anonymousreply 101July 17, 2019 1:12 AM

Once, when I didn’t have mayonnaise, I used hummus as a substitute. It was delicious.

by Anonymousreply 102July 17, 2019 1:13 AM

R100, No need to fear me. I hate Ranch dressing, but I always keep Hidden Valley Ranch and Kraft brand salad dressings in the fridge, since my ex-BF likes it. If he's ordering lunch, he gets any condiments he requests. He's always insisting on feeding me his special tuna salad on blueberry bagels, but I've resisted (so far). I'm much bigger than him, but that feisty little guy usually gets what he wants when he's stuck dealing with me.

When I get (much) older, I better get used to those. I'll be okay with them, to be honest. He's a sweetheart.

by Anonymousreply 103July 17, 2019 1:19 AM

Albacore in water, drained, lemon juice, light mayonnaise, scallions, S&P to taste (never any relish...ugh) lettuce (I hate tomato slices with tuna), crusty olive bread toasted (always toast my bread). There is a restaurant near me that makes it that way and it tastes like the tuna from my childhood (except you couldn't get olive bread then so we used toasted wheat).

by Anonymousreply 104July 17, 2019 1:21 AM

White tuna, drained well

Real mayonnaise, enough to soak the tuna

A quick squirt of prepared yellow mustard, like French's

A few shakes of celery seed

Either onion powder or super finely chopped white onion

Blob of sweet relish, I use Vlassic

Dash of celery salt, cayenne pepper, black pepper

Mix well and let sit, covered, in the fridge overnight. Stir well before serving.

Sometimes I add finely chopped hard boiled egg whites, and I use the yolks for something else. I usually serve on toasted bread with sliced cucumbers, but not always. Rarely, I will add celery flakes in addition to celery seeds.

Tuna salad should not be crunchy. Any crunchiness should come from the relish and/or onions, ergo no chopped celery or big chunks of onions. Try a dash of soy sauce to see if you like that. Or Worchestershire sauce. Or a tiny bit of Marmite or Vegimite. IMHO, tuna salad should never be sweet, so no sugar, Miracle Whip, raisins, craisins, or tarragon. I don't eat raw tomatoes, but I like lettuce on mine.

by Anonymousreply 105July 17, 2019 1:24 AM

^^^ Meant to say "coat the tuna," not soak it!

by Anonymousreply 106July 17, 2019 1:25 AM

Step 1- go deep sea fishing...

by Anonymousreply 107July 17, 2019 1:34 AM

R105, Your additions of Vegemite or Marmite intrigue me. They're my secret ingredients in many dishes, but never tuna salad. You've inspired me to give it a whirl.

by Anonymousreply 108July 17, 2019 1:35 AM

The reason sweet pickle relish (in the tuna mixture) is associated with poverty is because it is usually inexpensive. If your household has kids, you probably already have a jar (for hot dogs, etc.). Also, it's sweet, which can be considered unsophisticated (in a savory dish). Lack of sophistication would point to poverty (arguably).

Anyway, I like sweet pickle relish in the tuna mixture.

by Anonymousreply 109July 17, 2019 1:52 AM

Any who puts mustard in tuna salad should be burned as a witch.

by Anonymousreply 110July 17, 2019 2:05 AM

Just watched Steel Magnolias did we, R3?

by Anonymousreply 111July 17, 2019 2:22 AM

I make MOCK tuna. I put Vegenaise in it. Great white northern beans in place of tuna. Chopped celery, chopped onion, lemon juice and vegenaise. It's tasty on a toasted bagel or sourdough bread. I sometimes put some Dijon mustard on the sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 112July 17, 2019 2:37 AM

Tuna is SO GROSS. It smells like cat food and makes me SICK. What are you queens going on about??????

by Anonymousreply 113July 17, 2019 2:39 AM

Tuna is SO GROSS. It smells like cat food and makes me SICK. What are you queens going on about??????

by Anonymousreply 114July 17, 2019 2:39 AM

Tuna, celery, onion, dill pickle relish, chopped pecans, Best Foods mayo. Serve on toasted bread with lettuce, tomato and fresh avocado.

by Anonymousreply 115July 17, 2019 2:50 AM

My recipe:

1 can of tuna (or substitute canned chicken), completely drained of water or oil 1-2 tablespoons mayo 1/2 tablespoon good dijon mustard splash of soy sauce splash of worcestershire sauce dash of ground pepper (I use ground white pepper)

by Anonymousreply 116July 17, 2019 2:50 AM

If I'm a senior on a limited budget using cat food, what modifications do I need to make to get that authentic tuna taste? I generally use Meow Mix wet food if that helps.

by Anonymousreply 117July 17, 2019 3:01 AM

Use smooth peanut butter, not chunky. The little bits of peanuts don't work in this dish.

by Anonymousreply 118July 17, 2019 3:17 AM

Thanks R109. I always found the relish thing "different" but also figured it was something that was always in the fridge if you grew up eating hot dogs and hamburgers and was also really cheap--but It's probably just an American/Canadian thing.

My recipe is tuna (I find the kind packed in oil isn't as dry), drained enough to use, hellmann's mayo (originally taught to use miracle whip); after that's been blended with the tuna I add chopped sweet pickles (sweet mixed or gherkins) and chopped green onion. I was raised on sweet mix pickles so I will occasionally add some of the chopped pickled cauliflower and pickled onion chopped when I'm not using gherkins. Sometimes some pepper. I generally don't add salt--it's in the mayo/tuna already.

For me it's always some kind of pickled item and/or green onion that goes along with tuna salad.

My aunt would do something similar without the pickled items and green onion and would add shredded lettuce to stretch it out for four kids. They were /not/ wealthy.

by Anonymousreply 119July 17, 2019 3:33 AM

No celery or pickles! You want crunch, add scallions (spring onion).

by Anonymousreply 120July 17, 2019 3:37 AM

The best tuna salad contains pickles.

The worst of them would contain watery vegetables.

by Anonymousreply 121July 17, 2019 3:40 AM

The tuna in the red can at Trader Joe's is pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 122July 17, 2019 3:47 AM

R85, did you mean clam juice? ;)

by Anonymousreply 123July 17, 2019 4:26 AM

I do the usual thing with tune salad - water packed tuna, heinz relish, hellmans mayo, hb egg, onion, celery. My secret ingredient is smoky BBQ seasoning. I starting using it after having real smoked tuna dip in Destin FL. Try it - everyone loves my tuna salad! don't overdo the smokey seasoning. Add a bit, taste, add more taste.

by Anonymousreply 124July 17, 2019 4:40 AM

I use tuna in water because I heard it retains more omega-3s once you drain the excess fluid.

by Anonymousreply 125July 17, 2019 4:41 AM

Something else people should consider. Albacore tuna is MUCH higher in mercury than chunk light tuna (different species of tuna) and if that is the only kind you think is good, you need to limit your servings of it to one or two a MONTH.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126July 17, 2019 8:12 AM

Just give the tuna a break entirely and make chicken salad.

by Anonymousreply 127July 17, 2019 11:29 AM

Add a couple of teaspoons of fine seasoned breadcrumbs to absorb any water not squeezed out of the tuna. Mayo, a big spoon of fresh ground pepper and a pinch of salt.

by Anonymousreply 128July 17, 2019 12:56 PM

No, no, no: R128. A place I used to love has started adding breadcrumbs to their lobster salad and it makes the mouthfeel all wrong - it feels like there's Metamucil in it.

by Anonymousreply 129July 17, 2019 1:16 PM

Boundary stated!

by Anonymousreply 130July 17, 2019 1:23 PM

Tuna? What am I a cat?

by Anonymousreply 131July 17, 2019 1:58 PM

Silly queens. Don't buy the tuna with all the mercury in it. I buy Trader Joe's canned Salmon. Make salmon salad instead.

by Anonymousreply 132July 17, 2019 2:28 PM

When I was a little kid my mom would make tuna salad by taking a can of tuna, adding a little mayo and a boiled egg and a chopped gherkin, and would spread a super thin layer on a piece of white bread for me and have the rest for herself. That was our lunch. We were pretty broke at the time and that was the best we could do. I'd forgotten all about it until this thread but I'd bet that's why I don't like tuna salad to this day.

by Anonymousreply 133July 17, 2019 2:39 PM

R87, I do put cheese on mine (mild cheddar) for tuna melts.

by Anonymousreply 134July 17, 2019 3:40 PM

That was just mean R46.

by Anonymousreply 135July 17, 2019 4:43 PM

I take two cans of tuna fish and run them through the meat grinder. Then I add clam juice and peanut butter.

by Anonymousreply 136July 17, 2019 4:45 PM

Drained tuna, a smidgen of sweet pickle relish, mayo, and some of Trader Joe's EBTB seasoning. Put the tuna on split english muffins. Top with jarlsburg or sharp cheddar cheese and run under the broiler. Divoon!

by Anonymousreply 137July 17, 2019 4:47 PM

Duke's mayo and only Duke's no sweet relish and by god NO raisins.

by Anonymousreply 138July 17, 2019 4:50 PM

Mix white albacore with softened cream cheese, a splash of lemon juice, and shredded cheddar. Great for sandwiches on toaster bread, or on your favorite crackers. Simple and delicious.

by Anonymousreply 139July 17, 2019 4:52 PM

I like things like Tuna or Chicken salad to have a little bit of crunch so diced celery and pecan pieces in the mix and then a few potato chips on top before you close up the sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 140July 17, 2019 5:50 PM

Potato chips are possibly the white-trashiest thing you could ever add to anything.

by Anonymousreply 141July 17, 2019 5:55 PM

It's not tuna salad if it doesn't include raisins!!!

by Anonymousreply 142July 17, 2019 6:16 PM

Apparently PB&T is an underrated classic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143July 17, 2019 6:29 PM

Sweet pickle relish.

by Anonymousreply 144July 17, 2019 6:32 PM

Why is everyone looking at me?

by Anonymousreply 145July 17, 2019 6:33 PM

No one's mentioned texture.

I find it's best to drain the cans of white albacore tuna in water, put that into the mixing bowl first, then mash and stir the meat with a fork until it's almost fluffy, like a smooth consistency of tiny flakes of meat rather than clumps and lumps. Then you add ingredients and mix accordingly.

This kind of airy, fluffy texture makes a lot of difference in the taste no matter what you add.

by Anonymousreply 146July 17, 2019 6:48 PM

You silly fags are all poisoning yourselves with mercury for the sake of eating a dreary middle class standby. You're all nuts.

by Anonymousreply 147July 17, 2019 6:53 PM

Potato chips on sandwiches are great! (I learned it from Martha Stewart, of all people.) Sea Salt and Vinegar ones are especially good on sandwiches, especially roast beef.

by Anonymousreply 148July 17, 2019 8:00 PM

Kimchi is also good in a tuna sandwich (sort of like how sauerkraut is good on a hot dog).

by Anonymousreply 149July 17, 2019 8:05 PM

[quote]middle class

We care about social standing when we have nothing else about ourselves to be proud of.

by Anonymousreply 150July 17, 2019 8:56 PM

Kimchi is good with EVERYTHING -- apple sauce, pancakes, spaghetti, turkey & dressing, chocolate cake -- you name it.

I put some in the bottom of a tall glass, add ice, and pour a can of root beer over it. Dee-lish.

by Anonymousreply 151July 17, 2019 9:29 PM

Bumblebee or Geisha solid white albacore only - drained and pressed of all water and then chopped prior to mixing other ingredients (don't want it with too thick of chunks). Green onions if you have them; with water chestnuts, diced. 1 tbsp soy sauce and marjoram, black pepper, Best Foods mayo. or white onion, inner celery stalk, crushed red pepper, tarragon, sweet relish.

by Anonymousreply 152July 17, 2019 9:48 PM

It's a .99 cent tin of canned fish. There's not much you can do to make it great - it is what it is. Simplify. Add two hard boiled eggs chopped. Add half a small onion chopped. Add two sweet gherkins chopped. Add a heaping tablespoon mayo and a generous squirt of mustard. Salt and pepper to taste. Grab a package of Ritz crackers and get to scoopin'.

by Anonymousreply 153July 17, 2019 10:06 PM

When I was ca. 11 years old I enjoyed putting my fritos on my tunafish sandwich. It gave the sandwich some crunch and flavor.

by Anonymousreply 154July 17, 2019 10:30 PM

I add chopped water chestnuts for crunch.

by Anonymousreply 155July 17, 2019 11:00 PM

R133, That made me very sad.

by Anonymousreply 156July 17, 2019 11:24 PM

Don't completely squeeze the water out or it will be too dry.

by Anonymousreply 157July 17, 2019 11:47 PM

Or oil if you're using tuna packed in oil (pref.)

by Anonymousreply 158July 17, 2019 11:47 PM

[quote]tunafish sandwich

Isn't tunafish redundant? Isn't that like saying burgercow?

by Anonymousreply 159July 18, 2019 12:31 AM

I eat it upside-down. It's tastier that way.

by Anonymousreply 160July 18, 2019 2:12 AM

Skip the relish. Mayo, diced green pepper, sliced black olives, sliced Spanish olives, minced onion, diced tomatoes, splash of fresh lemon juice. Serve on a hearty grain bread, stuff a tomato or a yellow sweet pepper, or toss with pasta that has been rinsed in cool water. It's a meal!

by Anonymousreply 161July 18, 2019 2:24 PM

A small amount of pickle relish is the secret to really good tuna salad.

My mom's home-made green-tomato relish is even better.

Anyone who puts olives in tuna salad should be taken out back and shot.

by Anonymousreply 162July 18, 2019 2:30 PM

Tuna in water drained dry.

Artichoke hearts cut into quarters.

Out 1/4 of a cup or less of roasted red pepper cut into small pieces and dried with a paper towel.

Chopped red onion

A few Kalmatta Olives pitted

One or two fresh basil leaves

by Anonymousreply 163July 18, 2019 3:07 PM

There is so much sodium in tuna, mayo and bread that it doesn't need capers or pickles or any other super salty add ins.

by Anonymousreply 164July 18, 2019 4:06 PM

Hard-boiled eggs? Why not just add turds

by Anonymousreply 165July 18, 2019 6:12 PM

Chicken

by Anonymousreply 166July 18, 2019 9:49 PM

For a nominal fee, I'm available for taste test comparisons.

by Anonymousreply 167July 19, 2019 5:19 AM

Use Miracle Whip instead of Mayo

by Anonymousreply 168July 19, 2019 5:36 AM

A health food store near me sells a tuna pasta salad, which is quite good. The ingredients are really simple, just veganaise, chunk light tuna, sliced black olives, FRESH dill, and seasoned to taste. (sea salt and cracked black pepper).

by Anonymousreply 169July 19, 2019 6:32 AM

R169 here, I forgot the pasta, lol. They use penne.

by Anonymousreply 170July 19, 2019 6:33 AM

Tuna drain all water, best foods mayo, diced pickle, fresh onion, salt, diced celery with sliced gherkins on top.....(Obama gave me the idea of using gherkins instead of sweet relish).

by Anonymousreply 171July 19, 2019 9:41 AM

^also eat with King's Bakery sweet bread. Winnahs!

by Anonymousreply 172July 19, 2019 9:42 AM

My gut reaction was to F&F R168 for such a hateful, vile suggestion. Damn trolls.

by Anonymousreply 173July 19, 2019 2:22 PM

R169, the moment they put fucking OLIVES into chicken or tuna salad, it's ruined and you might as well just flush it down the toilet.

What the hell is WRONG with people that they'd do something like that?

by Anonymousreply 174July 19, 2019 2:23 PM

Has anyone ever worked in a deli? What is that CLASSIC recipe, the ingredient that gets the tuna salad tasting the way it does? Miracle Whip? I can never quite nail it.

by Anonymousreply 175July 19, 2019 2:29 PM

Sweet relish like rains, ruins everything.

The Secret is Duke's mayo.

by Anonymousreply 176July 19, 2019 2:38 PM

R167. I love how polite and unassuming Darfur orphan is all the time.

by Anonymousreply 177July 19, 2019 2:42 PM

R177 My Mom's secret was to use equal parts of Kraft Mayo and Miracle Whip.

by Anonymousreply 178July 19, 2019 6:50 PM

R177 My Mom's "secret" was equal parts of Kraft Mayo and Miracle Whip.

by Anonymousreply 179July 19, 2019 6:53 PM

Drained, Hellmann's, white onions

by Anonymousreply 180July 19, 2019 7:06 PM

Smegma.

Cuts the "fishy" taste.

by Anonymousreply 181July 19, 2019 7:10 PM

[quote]Obama gave me the idea of using gherkins instead of sweet relish

And yet you failed to say "Thanks, Obama!"

by Anonymousreply 182July 19, 2019 7:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!