Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dinner Party RUINED Because of Rude Guests

I had a little dinner party tonight, just 8 of us. One couple I invited because they are new friends of some dear friends, so I told them to bring them along. They seem fun and are new to town. I had one rule: don’t bring anything.

Well, what does that bitch couple bring but a DESSERT!!! And I already had a trio of dessert souffles prepared. You know what they brought? Fucking cupcakes from a box mix!!!! I was livid — the other guests took one each to be polite, which then filled them up before my special dessert! Have you ever experienced such a thing?? How fucking RUDE!

They will NEVER be invited over again!

by Anonymousreply 338July 23, 2019 11:23 PM

And we're supposed to give a shit and respond to your EST?

-5/10

by Anonymousreply 1July 15, 2019 1:53 AM

I don’t know what EST means but if you’re implying I made it up, fuck off troll. I know my truth.

by Anonymousreply 2July 15, 2019 1:55 AM

Why, they’re positively cupcunts!

by Anonymousreply 3July 15, 2019 1:56 AM

Sounds like Edible Sugary Treats, to me!

by Anonymousreply 4July 15, 2019 1:59 AM

OP's rude guest = Jan Brady

by Anonymousreply 5July 15, 2019 2:00 AM

[quote]I know my truth.

OP is Kyle Richards.

by Anonymousreply 6July 15, 2019 2:01 AM

You must have prostrate problems, OP. You type like somebody with a stick up their ass.

by Anonymousreply 7July 15, 2019 2:02 AM

OP, you could’ve thanked them, explained that you already made dessert, and told them you’d enjoy the cupcakes later. Then put them away. They were a bit presumptuous (and clueless), but you ceded control when you didn’t have to.

by Anonymousreply 8July 15, 2019 2:06 AM

Oh, how I long for the time when ESTs were carefully thought out and cleverly written in a way that made you think they could possibly be true. You would read through the entire post and be left with a feeling that, while it could be true, something just seemed off. Now, we get ESTs that are completely obvious by the time you read the title.

by Anonymousreply 9July 15, 2019 2:07 AM

it's a miracle OP'ette survived this ordeal

by Anonymousreply 10July 15, 2019 2:08 AM

Sure, George Glass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 15, 2019 2:10 AM

Something similar once happened to me - a friend of a friend came to a dinner I was hosting and brought a tabouleh salad

I thanked him - put it in the fridge - and forgot about it.

by Anonymousreply 12July 15, 2019 2:12 AM

OP, then you do not know how to host a dinner party.

If guests bring a gift like this, you are under no obligation to serve it. It is a gift TO YOU.

I once had a snotty guest bring an expensive bottle of wine and I put it aside in the kitchen. He was miffed that I did not serve it so that he could hijack the table to lord everyone with his wine knowledge. (FYI, it was just OK.)

I have vases on hand for a quick chop and plunge for flowers.

I would have put out the cupcakes (I would have hacked them into quarters) after desert and when I put out the mignardise (petit fours, candied fruits, marzipans, and the like) with the coffee service after the meal. I do this for chocolates as well.

Again, OP, then you do not know how to host a dinner party.

by Anonymousreply 13July 15, 2019 2:13 AM

Well! R13 told you, OP!

by Anonymousreply 14July 15, 2019 2:23 AM

They brought the cupcakes, but OP, YOU were the icing.

by Anonymousreply 15July 15, 2019 2:32 AM

I didnt serve the damn cupcakes, one of the other guests said, while I was getting the souffles ready, “I hear there’s cupcakes?”, and cuntess passed them out . I was aghast.

I know how to throw a dinner party; I will never invite these cretins over for one again.

by Anonymousreply 16July 15, 2019 2:34 AM

Yeah, you didn’t have to serve those cupcakes. Could’ve just set them aside or put them in the refrigerator for “later.”

by Anonymousreply 17July 15, 2019 2:35 AM

Did your guests feel it was ruined?

by Anonymousreply 18July 15, 2019 2:36 AM

When is your Tupperware party, OP?

by Anonymousreply 19July 15, 2019 2:37 AM

That's why Frauein are attracted to Datalounge, because eldergays ARE Frauein.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 15, 2019 2:39 AM

I didn’t serve them!!!!! I didn’t even take them out of their frau-ish carrying case, they were set to the side. It was the whore who brought them who took it upon herself to pass them out while I was busy getting the soufflés ready.

by Anonymousreply 21July 15, 2019 2:39 AM

That sounds awful OP. What's a cupcake?

by Anonymousreply 22July 15, 2019 2:39 AM

R13 is right. OP If you’re not trolling you simply don’t know how to host a party. Take the crap they brought put it in your kitchen chop it up in small pieces bring it out with the rest of your desserts problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 23July 15, 2019 2:41 AM

Ummm I had way too many important things to do then chop up some basic cupcakes. I specially said “DO NOT BRING ANYTHING.” That means Betty Crocker cupcakes.

I should thrown them in the trash.

by Anonymousreply 24July 15, 2019 2:45 AM

George Glass, this will be an attempt for you to redeem yourself.

What flatware did you use, what china did you use, what crystal did you use?

Stainless, Chinette and Solo are not acceptable answers?

by Anonymousreply 25July 15, 2019 2:45 AM

OP, you handled it all wrong. You thank them for bringing the cupcakes, drop them in the garbage and serve your dessert.

by Anonymousreply 26July 15, 2019 2:46 AM

[quote] It was the whore who brought them who took it upon herself to pass them out

ah, it's always the whore

by Anonymousreply 27July 15, 2019 2:47 AM

The Buddha's Four Noble Truths.... all humans suffer, all suffering comes from attachment... etc.

by Anonymousreply 28July 15, 2019 2:49 AM

Hi there .....

I just wanted to say how amused I was when I saw the following post below yours:

I AM NOT GAY

by Anonymousreply 29July 15, 2019 2:51 AM

I would never, not take a gift to a dinner party, i don't care if it was requested. Going to a dinner party without a host/hostess gift is just not something I can do. But, I would also never expect my gift, if it is edible, to be served at the party.

I hate to say it, but perhaps your guests did not care for your food and requested the cupcakes be served because you didn't make them and they would therefore be edible. In college, I was invited to a dinner party by a professor, mainly to be partnered with his step-daughter. He went on about how his wife was a gourmet cook. Her food was pretentious, fussy, and beautiful, but tasted like absolute crap. I don't normally smoke cigars, but when the professor offered one after dinner, I accepted just to get the taste of his wife's food out of my mouth.

by Anonymousreply 30July 15, 2019 2:52 AM

[quote]You must have prostrate problems, OP.

Oh, DEAR!

by Anonymousreply 31July 15, 2019 2:54 AM

Couldn't you have just given the cupcakes to the help? The lower classes seem to appreciate these things more than we do.

by Anonymousreply 32July 15, 2019 2:55 AM

“DO NOT BRING ANYTHING.” My goodness, OP. That's no way to speak to your guests.

Pains in the Ass like R30 do exist, OP. They are rife with their insecurities and their middle class morality,

Tell them to bring flowers. They will do it. And you won't have your effing menu assaulted.

by Anonymousreply 33July 15, 2019 2:58 AM

R33 There is nothing insecure about me. I said I would bring a gift, but not expect it to be served. Bringing a host/hostess gift is just a polite thing to do. It is not a gift for the party, but a gift to show appreciation for the host/hostess. I usually give a book, I do not expect the host/hostess to read aloud from it after the meal.

It is impolite and insecure to demand that your guests not abide by the polite rules of society, their culture, or their personal moral code.

by Anonymousreply 34July 15, 2019 3:09 AM

So, R34, if the host asks you not to bring anything, you blow off that simple request, substitute what you want to do, and still eat the host's meal?

Feh!

by Anonymousreply 35July 15, 2019 3:14 AM

Only a clod brings a food gift to a dinner party. Boxed chocolates is the exception and they may be put out after dinner.

If you know someone collects something, a simple addition can be nice. My favorite gift I received was a lovely sterling Victorian cheese fork.

I usually bring a Crane Florentine note set. Stationary is a little luxury.

Interesting artisanal soaps are also good but must not overpower a room with fragrance as is the ubiquitous candle.

by Anonymousreply 36July 15, 2019 3:19 AM

"where's My Wine, Asshole!"

by Anonymousreply 37July 15, 2019 3:21 AM

R35 No. More than likely, unless it was someone I needed to impress, for business or something, I would just not accept the rude invitation in the first place.

What is wrong with people? Demanding that people not freely give you a gift, is anti-social. It is wrong to demand gifts and it is wrong to demand no gifts. Giving or not giving a gift is entirely up to the giver not the receiver. And, why would anyone NOT want a gift?

by Anonymousreply 38July 15, 2019 3:22 AM

[quote]Stationary is a little luxury.

It's also an adjective.

by Anonymousreply 39July 15, 2019 3:23 AM

Does it matter why?

They make an honest request. You blow it off.

by Anonymousreply 40July 15, 2019 3:23 AM

r39, thank you. Nice stationery is a little luxury.

If I have time I will order something personalized.

by Anonymousreply 41July 15, 2019 3:28 AM

R40 Yes, because it is a stupid anti-social request. Also, and I know this from experience, a lot of times when people say NO GIFTS, they actually want gifts. You should just expect that if you host a dinner party, you will receive small host/hostess gifts. It is an accepted part of the social contract. Just as it is an accepted part of the social contract, to not expect your edible gift to be served at the party.

by Anonymousreply 42July 15, 2019 3:29 AM

Were they bigger than you?

by Anonymousreply 43July 15, 2019 3:31 AM

OP, why didn't you take the cupcakes into the kitchen when the couple arrived at your door? Please don't tell me you have an open floor plan where the guests can see into the kitchen from the table? This is why separate rooms are important and every host should have a co-pilot to help the the various transition within a proper dinner party, while you get the food together. It sounds like you took the eyes off the ball and somehow allowed your guests to serve something other than the food you planned.

Tell us about the layout of your home.

by Anonymousreply 44July 15, 2019 3:57 AM

If close, I ask if I can bring anything. If not discussed at all, a bottle of wine. Otherwise a small gift that speaks to your relationship with your host. If for a lady, flowers.

by Anonymousreply 45July 15, 2019 4:00 AM

[quote] If for a lady, flowers.

this lady is a tramp!

by Anonymousreply 46July 15, 2019 4:03 AM

[quote]I usually bring a Crane Florentine note set

for their pen pals?

by Anonymousreply 47July 15, 2019 4:05 AM

OP you could have taken their storebought cupcakes and run them through the garbage disposal when everyone was mingling before dinner and you were alone in the kitchen. Dinner party saved!

by Anonymousreply 48July 15, 2019 4:06 AM

This couple went, Billy Bob's friend sounds like real pretentious cunt, she'll probably serve chicken froufrou or something similarly inedible, I know what, let's take cupcakes, everyone loves cupcakes, that will show that highstrung drama queen (true).

You're right OP. Banish them from your home. Decline when they send a return invitation.

by Anonymousreply 49July 15, 2019 4:35 AM

You prepared soufflés in advance? That’s disgusting!

by Anonymousreply 50July 15, 2019 4:41 AM

If at any point during a dinner party you hear the words. "I hear there are cupcakes," things are not going well.

OP, you clearly threw a ghastly dinner party. One can only hope your guests' enjoyment of the cupcakes will overtake the memory of your ghastly dinner party. Or, at the very least, banish the taste of it from their mouths.

As an anonymous person passing judgment on the Internet, I am grateful to never be in the position to be invited to one of your "candlelight suppers."

by Anonymousreply 51July 15, 2019 5:01 AM

r13 and r23 are correct. OP is just an uncouth slob who never learned how to host a dinner party.

by Anonymousreply 52July 15, 2019 5:04 AM

OP, I hade these made up just for you!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53July 15, 2019 5:12 AM

😂😂😂R53

by Anonymousreply 54July 15, 2019 6:54 AM

Id be pissed too OP. The dessert is the final flourish of a well planned dinner.

by Anonymousreply 55July 15, 2019 10:49 AM

Did they look like this, OP?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56July 15, 2019 11:03 AM

Well, the first rule of gracious entertaining is to make your guests feel welcome and comfortable. It's YOUR job to see to it that they have an enjoyable evening. That means putting out the damn cupcakes alongside your soufflé and letting everyone sample a bit of both if they so choose. Who cares? If anything, the generic cupcakes will look sad next to your spectacular creations....and you will have your revenge.

OP, did it ever occur to you that even though you slaved over fussy desserts, some of your guests may choose not partake because of dietary restrictions? It's not all about YOU.

by Anonymousreply 57July 15, 2019 11:11 AM

I'd want to marry bi-guy..... if he wasn't bi.

by Anonymousreply 58July 15, 2019 11:13 AM

Meh it's just simply being polite guests and etiquette to bring a gift to dinner party, even if the hosts say not to bring anything. You're making it more of a problem than it is.

by Anonymousreply 59July 15, 2019 11:13 AM

*to a dinner party - that should read.

by Anonymousreply 60July 15, 2019 11:14 AM

If OP has stated her boundaries you WILL obey her boundaries!

by Anonymousreply 61July 15, 2019 11:16 AM

MARY!!!

by Anonymousreply 62July 15, 2019 11:21 AM

I actually did run into a situation once when I invited friends to my beach condo for a long weekend. They brought a mountain of food and I had no place to put it. Cabinet and fridge space was limited because I had already planned meals. They did ask if they could bring something for breakfast and I agreed. But I assumed it would just be a box of muffins from a bakery. Nope. They took over my kitchen and made an elaborate breakfast (delicious, BTW) of eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, salad.....on and on. I don't really eat breakfast, so it was a lot to contend with. And it was very stressful trying to figure out where to put all that food.

Another touchy issue I have is when people bring me beach themed tchotchkes as gifts. I simply don't have room for them. I want to say, "look around you, this place has been painstakingly decorated to MY taste. As much as I adore this cute little pelican figurine, I have no place to put it."

by Anonymousreply 63July 15, 2019 11:34 AM

You should have excused yourself to the kitchen after dinner, taken off all your clothes, quickly used yarn to fashion the cupcakes into a bikini top and thong. Then entered the dining room with a sexy smile, declaring, "Dessert is served..."

by Anonymousreply 64July 15, 2019 11:36 AM

If you put the cupcakes in the kitchen, how was your guest able to suddenly start passing them out? Did she force her way in and elbow the cook aside, grabbing up her Duncan Hines special and sweeping out again?

You *do* have a cook, don't you?

by Anonymousreply 65July 15, 2019 11:48 AM

[quote] I know my truth.

And the DL knows your lies.

ALL of them.

by Anonymousreply 66July 15, 2019 11:54 AM

I'll take the cute little pelican figurine, R63. It will do so much to improve the ambiance of the hole in the ground that I call home.

by Anonymousreply 67July 15, 2019 11:56 AM

[quote] And it was very stressful trying to figure out where to put all that food.

Tell that to the Darfur Orphan.

by Anonymousreply 68July 15, 2019 11:57 AM

His HARD WON truth, R66

Truth is HARD, just like writing credible stories.

by Anonymousreply 69July 15, 2019 12:09 PM

^^^^He’s still using multiple accounts to reply as himself, too.

by Anonymousreply 70July 15, 2019 12:13 PM

[quote]If anything, the generic cupcakes will look sad next to your spectacular creations....and you will have your revenge.

Again, OP claims he prepared the soufflés in advance. Impossible. Soufflés must be prepared à la minute. They will be quite sad, soggy messes next to the lovely cupcakes. This is the true source of his ire.

by Anonymousreply 71July 15, 2019 6:03 PM

OP is STAUNCH!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72July 15, 2019 6:21 PM

It sounds like after the main course your guests feared the "dessert souffles" still to come and made a run for the cupcakes.

by Anonymousreply 73July 15, 2019 6:24 PM

Listen cunt at R71, I never said I made the souffles in advance. I had the soufflé dishes prepared and everything ready to go. While I was actually making them, leaving the guests in the care of my husband to engage in conversation, that’s when the rude guest started passing out the Betty Crocker cupcakes DIRECTLY OUT OF THEIR CARRYING CASE. Tacky bitch.

This morning I received a text from our friends who invited the cretinous couple apologizing profusely, explaining they explicitly told them not to bring the cupcakes even when they had asked them!

by Anonymousreply 74July 15, 2019 6:24 PM

Oh your husband was there. It's his fault then for allowing it to happen.

by Anonymousreply 75July 15, 2019 6:28 PM

George, your story keeps changing. Good choice of namesake.

by Anonymousreply 76July 15, 2019 6:36 PM

Abner! Abner!

by Anonymousreply 77July 15, 2019 6:41 PM

George and Jan.

Before dinner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78July 15, 2019 6:44 PM

In all fairness to OP/George and the truthiness of his EST, I mean post, they could have been frozen souffles.

But then he would have said "frozen souffles," wouldn't he?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79July 15, 2019 6:56 PM

Souffles are baked a la minute, but, in my experience at restaurants, they take about 20 minutes (depending on size, I guess) to bake in the oven. I.e., they take kind of a long time.

by Anonymousreply 80July 15, 2019 7:23 PM

Which is why one should order them in advance.

by Anonymousreply 81July 15, 2019 7:26 PM

Yes, given the opportunity, I do order my souffle in advance. Hardly any places serve souffles anymore. I don't make them myself at home, either.

by Anonymousreply 82July 15, 2019 7:29 PM

OP take your souffles and sashay away.

by Anonymousreply 83July 15, 2019 7:40 PM

[quote]truthiness

HONESTY?

by Anonymousreply 84July 15, 2019 7:46 PM

I'm sure all you queens support public television and will, therefore, be able watch and learn while Julia Child teaches you how to make a non-collapsable souffle.

And to think, if OP had paid attention to Julia, all of this could have been avoided.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85July 15, 2019 8:40 PM

reply 57, you are wrong.

As for the "souffles", there are cold things made with the likes of ice cream and jello that are whipped and molded with a collar that are called cold "souffles".

If OP served these, he deserved the cupcakes.

Do you really think this OP would know how to time BAKED souffles and NOT leave cupcakes out for his guests to scavenge?

Once again OP, whose your silver?

by Anonymousreply 86July 15, 2019 9:25 PM

Op's souffle

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87July 15, 2019 9:31 PM

More likely the souffle of the fussy OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88July 15, 2019 9:35 PM

Well at least you didn't try to pull off Veal Prince Orloff.

by Anonymousreply 89July 15, 2019 9:35 PM

Do you want to hear about the time I stepped on the ping pong ball? It was ghastly!

by Anonymousreply 90July 15, 2019 10:07 PM

How has someone not started at "Donner Party RUINED Becuase of Rude Guests" parody thread yet?

I would, but I'm not that clever.

by Anonymousreply 91July 16, 2019 4:05 AM

It's not even needed, R91. The OP for this thread could ruin the Donner Party, too. We could just run them both here. It would be freaky, but it might be fun.

by Anonymousreply 92July 16, 2019 4:12 AM

r56, I can't put my finger on it, but there's something fishy about those cupcakes.

by Anonymousreply 93July 16, 2019 5:01 AM

"Oh, you shouldn't have! But thank you so much! The raccoons in the back yard just LOVE cupcakes!"

by Anonymousreply 94July 16, 2019 5:15 AM

Ms. Glass directing the entertainment portion of the evening, promptly at 9:10pm!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95July 16, 2019 7:13 AM

OP, where you serving Miss Paula Deen's Clit Souffle by any chance?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96July 16, 2019 7:40 AM

EST?????

by Anonymousreply 97July 16, 2019 7:55 AM

Wait a minute -- I used tinned salmon.

by Anonymousreply 98July 16, 2019 7:36 PM

Did I ever tell you about the time I went to an eldergay's dinner party? It was horrible! As soon as I arrived he said he needed to speak to me in his boudoir. I thought maybe he was going to ask me to change out of my miniskirt and give me a pair of his Philipp Plein jeans to put on, as one does. Instead, he locked the door, shoved me onto the fainting couch and whisper-shrieked at me, "I know you brought bacalhau à Gomes de Sá to sabotage my menu, you whore! Where is it? Cuntress, don't lie! Where have you hidden it?"

What?? I had followed his instructions. I hadn't brought anything. Worse, two days later he called and accused me of secreting it somewhere in the boudoir! Apparently, he had torn the fainting couch apart looking for it and now he was sending me the reupholstery bill.

Never again.

by Anonymousreply 99July 16, 2019 8:26 PM

[quote]bacalhau à Gomes de Sá

I admit I had to look it up. Kudos, R99.

by Anonymousreply 100July 16, 2019 9:35 PM

[quote]Yes, given the opportunity, I do order my souffle in advance. Hardly any places serve souffles anymore.

I remember the chocolate souffles at the Moustache Cafe in West Hollywood back in the 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 101July 16, 2019 10:08 PM

I stopped giving dinner parties because of people like r30 r34. I used to have lots of dinners, and the last thing I wanted to deal with at the last minute were hostess gifts of any sort. Most of my friends cooperated. Some ate over often and I didn't want them to feel obligated. But most of all, I didn't want to deal with it while I was dealing with last minute touches or hosting duties. And under no circumstance did I want flowers. After I said "no gifts," those just stayed on a table in the hall, undealt-with.

But some bitches just would not respect my simple request. And one night, two queens of this thread's bi-guy variety caused a great big fight one night over dueling bottles of Beaujolais, and I just gave up. It just wasn't worth it anymore. I didn't want people bringing me things, and I wasn't going to contend with fighting.

When someone says "Don't bring anything," DON'T BRING ANYTHING.

by Anonymousreply 102July 16, 2019 10:23 PM

[quote]Once again OP, whose your silver?

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 103July 16, 2019 10:48 PM

Once again OP, hoose ya silvah, hoose ya silvah?

by Anonymousreply 104July 17, 2019 6:13 AM

I think, R103, R104 et al, by now we can assume OP doesn't have any silver.

Just as we can assume OP didn't have a dinner party, or cupcakes, or superfluous souffles.

by Anonymousreply 105July 17, 2019 11:47 AM

[quote] superfluous souffles

Artfully done!

by Anonymousreply 106July 17, 2019 11:51 AM

OP, how dare you!

My cupcakes are moist and delicious.

by Anonymousreply 107July 17, 2019 12:12 PM

OP, if your guests preferred cupcakes to soufflé, it's probably because they came from MY bakery. People love Bird Bakery confections because you can stuff your face with them until you're sick and still remain a size zero.....like me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108July 17, 2019 12:32 PM

I bring nut loaf and boundaries to a dinner party

by Anonymousreply 109July 17, 2019 12:38 PM

Bread pudding!

by Anonymousreply 110July 17, 2019 12:40 PM

Don't be the kind of person your friends fear of offending.

by Anonymousreply 111July 17, 2019 12:45 PM

This happens to me with wine all the time.

I’ve learned. Now I take any food or drink a guest brings in as a hostess gift, thank them, put it away and eat it myself later (or dump it)

by Anonymousreply 112July 17, 2019 12:55 PM

OP should have saved the cupcakes until the end and given one to each guest to take home as they left.

by Anonymousreply 113July 17, 2019 12:58 PM

Put the fucking cupcakes on a serving plate. Turn it over. As the cupcakes hit the floor, say "Oh, look what I've done. Can you ever forgive me?"

Done.

by Anonymousreply 114July 17, 2019 1:01 PM

Re: no gifts — yes, some hosts actually want gifts. The tactful thing to do is bring a gift but not present it. If other guests present gifts and the host accepts them with (genuine) graciousness, you can take yours out and add it to the pile (this also means bring a pretty small gift you can tuck away, not a kitchenaid mixer or something). If no gifts are given and you still really want to give yours, leave it quietly on an end table with a kind note about how great the dinner party was and thanks.

by Anonymousreply 115July 17, 2019 2:27 PM

[quote]you can take yours out and add it to the pile

This, though, could get you in trouble. Orgy or not, no means no!

by Anonymousreply 116July 17, 2019 3:34 PM

[quote]I don’t know what EST means

You've posted incessantly for days and days, Mr My Check Was Stolen And I'm Too Stupid To Know What To Do About It. Fuck off with this naive act.

by Anonymousreply 117July 17, 2019 3:40 PM

This is when having a dog or cat to blame is useful. The cupcakes were ruined by being knocked to the floor by THEM (insert pet name) Absolutely tragic!

by Anonymousreply 118July 17, 2019 4:41 PM

I always bring milkshakes -- they bring all the boys to the yard.

by Anonymousreply 119July 17, 2019 4:48 PM

Do people like the ridiculous host that OP is pretending to be actually exist?

by Anonymousreply 120July 17, 2019 4:55 PM

"Having heard about your cooking, I just wanted the guests to have something good to eat."

by Anonymousreply 121July 17, 2019 4:55 PM

I usually bring some flowers, a bottle of wine, or a box of chocolates for the host/ess. These are gifts to them, I do not expect them to be used during the event, it is just my thank you for their hospitality. Plus a quick note the next day.

I sort of agree with OP that if you’ve done to the trouble to compose a whole menu, it can be thrown off by a pushy person insisting to serve something she brought. Politeness rules though, it’s hard to say no to that. Unfortunately, frau tastes DO run to the cheap baked goods, so your creme brûlée’s probably would not please them.

by Anonymousreply 122July 17, 2019 4:56 PM

Ruined your party because it wasn't homemade. I don't understand why your complaining. It's FOOD !

by Anonymousreply 123July 17, 2019 4:57 PM

[quote]Do people like the ridiculous host that OP is pretending to be actually exist?

*incredulous but joking tone*

Did you not read the thread?! Oh lord they’re all over it apparently.

by Anonymousreply 124July 17, 2019 5:24 PM

[quote]I don't understand why your complaining.

Darfur Orphan, we’ve taught you better than that. No extra flies with supper for you tonight.

by Anonymousreply 125July 17, 2019 5:26 PM

The skies were so blue that day.

by Anonymousreply 126July 17, 2019 5:26 PM

How many of em, R126?

by Anonymousreply 127July 17, 2019 5:27 PM

What’s EST, anyway?

by Anonymousreply 128July 17, 2019 5:46 PM

EST means Elaborate Scenario Troll. Newbies!

by Anonymousreply 129July 17, 2019 5:51 PM

I was hoping this would be more clever than a rant about fucking cupcakes.

by Anonymousreply 130July 17, 2019 5:52 PM

Always take a small gift for a dinner party for the host, but never food (except for boxed chocolates). Wine is acceptable, just know that it is for the host's collection, not for consumption that night.

I hosted a dinner party one night and my then-boyfriend begged to invite his lonely friend Tom. Tom brought a cheap bottle of Merlot and said "here's a nice Merlot" when he handed it to me. When I started pouring wine for dinner, he asked for a glass "of that nice Merlot [he] brought." I ignored him and simply asked, "red or white?" Everybody chucked, but he repeated himself, "I would like a glass of that nice Merlot I brought." So I had to say that it did not pair with dinner.

The next morning my boyfriend noticed that the bottle his buddy brought was missing. That fucker took it with him.

BTW, it was a Yellow Tail Merlot, a small step up from Two Buck Chuck.

by Anonymousreply 131July 17, 2019 6:04 PM

Please let this entire thread be a satire about a certain type of older gay man, even though I know it is not.

And R131, even I know that is rude AF.

You open the cheap Merlot, pretend it's a $500 bottle of wine and make the guest feel welcome.

by Anonymousreply 132July 17, 2019 6:11 PM

At Christmas, I received a host gift from a friend. A bottle of Winking Owl Chardonnay. Aldi's house label. That must be worth something at Data Lounge.

by Anonymousreply 133July 17, 2019 6:14 PM

The level of Social Class Anxiety on Datalounge is one of the more eye-opening things about the site.

by Anonymousreply 134July 17, 2019 6:17 PM

I think you should rape or kill their families, destroy their homes and rob them blind, then drive them across the Sahara Desert to live in a tent!

by Anonymousreply 135July 17, 2019 6:20 PM

OP you are correct regarding this matter in every way. Those trashy filthy guests should have been assassinated or castrated on the spot.

I hate these evil, vile people more than you do and I hope they get AIDS. I hope if they have grandparents that the grandparents are kidnapped and then the kidnapper cuts their ears off and sends it to them in the mail. Then I hope the kidnappers rape both grandma and grandpa and stuff their mouths full of cupcakes so that they can hardly breathe. Then I hope the kidnappers break in to the tacky cupcake queens’ house and tie the grandparents up and lock them in the stupid fags’ closet. When grandma and grandpa are pulled from the closet and the gags are removed they start throwing up the cupcakes crammed in their mouths on the stupid whores’ shoes. Then in two weeks a group of illegal immigrants break into the dumb cupcake queens mouth and rape them while they are stuffed with cupcakes.

I hate these inconsiderate son of a bitches OP and they need to be taught a lesson!! If they ride bikes I hope somebody opens their car door into them and they aren’t wearing helmets and get irreversible brain damage. Let’s get them OP. I feel your pain across the Internet and you have been wronged. We will tie them down and inject them with the AIDS blood.

by Anonymousreply 136July 17, 2019 6:22 PM

DO was far more vicious and succinct R136 ;)

by Anonymousreply 137July 17, 2019 6:24 PM

And we will burn their goddamn house down.

by Anonymousreply 138July 17, 2019 6:26 PM

`Take cupcakes back to the kitchen and put them in the oven for a couple of minutes. Bring them out and it's "awww they were ruined by the heat of the kitchen."

by Anonymousreply 139July 17, 2019 6:36 PM

"And now I've prepared a postprandial extravaganza! Lady Sue Flay!" OP cha cha's around in a blonde wig and caftan.

by Anonymousreply 140July 17, 2019 6:41 PM

OP how would you handle your guest who demanded 2 chicken breasts, please.

by Anonymousreply 141July 17, 2019 6:46 PM

R136 is obviously a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 142July 17, 2019 6:51 PM

R136 is obviously a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 143July 17, 2019 6:51 PM

You should learn to use apostrophes, r122.

by Anonymousreply 144July 17, 2019 6:55 PM

R141, "But we're HAVING spaghetti."

by Anonymousreply 145July 17, 2019 7:04 PM

OP is a frau. No gay, straight, bi or any other kind of man would be THIS upset over something so ridiculous. This is beyond Mary.

by Anonymousreply 146July 17, 2019 7:12 PM

[QUOTE] So I had to say that it did not pair with dinner.

What a cunt. That’s a scenario where you HAVE to be a nice person, swallow your indignation, and pour him a glass.

“Doesn’t pair with dinner.” What an asshole. Your GUEST thinks it does.

by Anonymousreply 147July 17, 2019 8:05 PM

Fuck you dirty pillows. You’re a filthy skank and I hope somebody hits you in the face. Fuck You.

by Anonymousreply 148July 17, 2019 8:35 PM

Why are people getting so violent in this thread??

by Anonymousreply 149July 17, 2019 8:37 PM

The PROPER WAY to thank your host or hostess is to send a thank-you card and a small gift the FOLLOWING day.

The gift should be a box of chocolates, a tin of nuts, or an orchid plant. Period. Don't get creative!

by Anonymousreply 150July 17, 2019 8:44 PM

Gay men live for petty drama like this

by Anonymousreply 151July 17, 2019 8:46 PM

Rude guests may ruin dinner parties, but bad ESTs are the ruination of the planet. No excuse for this, OP, after some we've seen here (lost kitten guy is on my hit list). Make it believable, ffs. Cupcakes? Eclairs would have been the better choice. Inconsistency, like your soggy souffles, is another tell. You corrected the making of souffles ahead of time when a poster pointed out your ignorance of proper baking technique; guests just 'being polite' in eating those demon cupped cakes instead of asking 'I head there were cupcakes...' as you stated later on.

Try harder, bitch. Your addition of a husband was the best tell of all. Who would want to marry a fussy little snot? -9/10

by Anonymousreply 152July 17, 2019 8:47 PM

[quote] When I started pouring wine for dinner, he asked for a glass "of that nice Merlot [he] brought." ... The next morning my boyfriend noticed that the bottle his buddy brought was missing. That fucker took it with him.

In fairness, the guest was causing inconvenience by trying to insist on the Yellow Tail merlot. Then, he took his Yellow Tail home with him. That isn't a host / hostess gift if you take it home.

by Anonymousreply 153July 17, 2019 8:48 PM

Nothing fair about a drama queen wanting some tail, R153.

by Anonymousreply 154July 17, 2019 8:49 PM

r149, You must be surprised when the sun rises.

by Anonymousreply 155July 17, 2019 8:52 PM

R151 not all gay men. Only the pearl clutching, queeny Miss Marys think everyone is out to destroy them. The rest of us just sit back and watch the DL forum flame.

by Anonymousreply 156July 17, 2019 8:54 PM

I’m thinking bringing sherbet is always a good option, especially if crashing.

by Anonymousreply 157July 17, 2019 8:56 PM

R149, this is nothing. You should check out the infamous Lasagna thread. If you dare, make sure to keep your smelling salts nearby.

by Anonymousreply 158July 17, 2019 8:58 PM

Mary, R158!

It was the vicious spaghetti straining argument that gave me the vapors.

by Anonymousreply 159July 17, 2019 9:09 PM

Bolognese sauce!

That thread burned my retinas.

by Anonymousreply 160July 17, 2019 9:14 PM

Well at least we know everyone’s fainting couches are getting a good workout.

by Anonymousreply 161July 17, 2019 9:42 PM

r159, it was not the draining it was the RINSING!

by Anonymousreply 162July 17, 2019 10:03 PM

Lots of rules here. When inviting someone to dinner all I ask is that they enjoy the meal and company. I expect nothing in return. I don't expect gifts, food, wine, etc. I don't expect a thank you note. Send me a text or PM. That is sufficient for me. However, I wouldn't mind an invitation in return sometime.

by Anonymousreply 163July 17, 2019 10:12 PM

Dinner on the sinking Titanic was more fun then OP's lackluster, angst filled charade.

by Anonymousreply 164July 17, 2019 10:17 PM

If I were invited to an OP dinner, and if I had accepted, I would probably bring a bucket of chicken as a hostess gift.

by Anonymousreply 165July 17, 2019 10:21 PM

[quote] I expect nothing in return.

How refreshing!

[quote] Send me a text or PM.

[quote] I wouldn't mind an invitation in return

Oh.

by Anonymousreply 166July 17, 2019 10:23 PM

[quote]OP is a frau. No gay, straight, bi or any other kind of man would be THIS upset over something so ridiculous. This is beyond Mary.

Oh, Smitty! You always know what to say to make me laugh!

by Anonymousreply 167July 17, 2019 10:24 PM

We should all be grateful that Op wasn't hosting cream tea to which the guests brought steak and kidney pie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168July 17, 2019 10:25 PM

OP is so ig'nant that he would invite people to High Tea and be insulted when they asked where the steak and kidney pie was.

by Anonymousreply 169July 17, 2019 10:34 PM

I had a similar experience. I prepared a vegetarian Indian dinner for a friends who were a straight couple. (the husband is no longer in the picture) She brought an appetizer she bought from a local Indian restaurant but the restaurant misunderstood her order and there was a complete meal waiting for her to pick up. We had a good laugh which is the only proper response, ate the dinner I prepared and we split her dinner as a leftover. It makes for a funny story between friends.

by Anonymousreply 170July 17, 2019 10:55 PM

R170 there is nothing in the slightest way funny about your story. You and friend sound really stupid.

by Anonymousreply 171July 17, 2019 11:27 PM

Honestly, I'm with the OP here, even if he is going for an EST and an "Oh Mary".

The cupcakes should have been put aside for later. They should not have been served.

by Anonymousreply 172July 17, 2019 11:37 PM

Except OP had not even made the souffles yet. There were finished cupcakes and souffles that still needed to be baked. It is not hard to imagine that most guests--and hosts--would have served what was ready than expect guests to put up with a host working in the kitchen and waiting for a desert to be done baking and cooling.

If OP had been prepared for the guests arrival, he might have something to complain about.

by Anonymousreply 173July 17, 2019 11:54 PM

Hopefully, OP will come back to DL with this post next: "Life RUINED - Husbear Left Me for Cretin Who Makes Cupcakes from a Box Mix."

by Anonymousreply 174July 17, 2019 11:59 PM

The OP totally has something to complain about. The guests were told NOT to bring anything. The host had prepared for the dessert and had all the stuff on hand and planed out preparing it. It was totally rude of the guests to bring something, and then expect that THEIR crappy from-a-box dessert be served instead of the planned, home-made, and far superior dessert.

by Anonymousreply 175July 18, 2019 12:00 AM

Given OP's temperament as shown here, I question whether he has the ability to prepare a "far superior dessert."

One suspects that the guests knew he was going to experiment with an overly complicated dessert (3 souffles?!!?) that was beyond his culinary ability, and chose to forestall the disaster awaiting them by bringing a guaranteed edible (if unexciting) dessert.

by Anonymousreply 176July 18, 2019 12:06 AM

Even if true, it should have been the BACK UP in case the dessert planned by the OP really didn't turn out.

by Anonymousreply 177July 18, 2019 12:09 AM

But they were MAGNOLIA cupcakes!! OMG, I waited in line for like 45 minutes for them. Everyone just loves the Sex and the city cupcakes! And everyone just scarfed them up, honestly.

by Anonymousreply 178July 18, 2019 12:14 AM

R177 But the other guests each wanted a cupcake....which makes me think they were also afraid of how the souffles would turn out.

(Do you really think OP would allow his guests to say "You're souffle did not turn out well. Lets have the back-up cupcakes.")

These guests knew OP better than you or I -- and they preferred to eat the cupcakes, but passed on the souffles since they were "too full." They could have had the souffle first, but chose not to.

by Anonymousreply 179July 18, 2019 12:16 AM

OP getting ready

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180July 18, 2019 12:39 AM

Won't you think of the dog? WON'T YOU THINK OF THE DOG?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181July 18, 2019 12:45 AM

R179. I'm fascinated by the fact that you think all of that assumption, even if it were true, isn't still rude.

by Anonymousreply 182July 18, 2019 12:48 AM

The guests did all they could to spare OP's feelings.

If you look at OP's original post, it is clear that no one wanted to eat the souffles. One can only imagine why.

Rather than say to OP, please let me pass on your dessert, they did their best to spare his feelings.

They were awkward, true, but I think what they did was much more considerate than blatantly telling OP that they were avoiding the dessert that meant so much to him, but which for some reason none of them even wanted even a spoonful of.

They avoided a more rude behavior by doing something less rude.

by Anonymousreply 183July 18, 2019 1:03 AM

[quote]One can only imagine why.

Because phantom guESTs can't eat phantom soufflés?

by Anonymousreply 184July 18, 2019 1:10 AM

I am continually amazed at all the detail you can get from the OP which isn't even there.

Like, you presume the guests knew about the soufflés before arriving. And in fact, knew about then enough ahead that they could purchase cupcakes.

Fascinating, this level of psychic ability you have.

by Anonymousreply 185July 18, 2019 1:17 AM

What you say makes sense. R185. If this were real. But since it's an EST and totally made up, the rules of logic and the real world do not apply.

by Anonymousreply 186July 18, 2019 1:21 AM

I can totally believe this is not an EST. I've posted things that were considered ESTs, but which weren't. My ex-BF's usual opening, when he calls me, is "would you believe she had the AUDACITY to tell me......."

by Anonymousreply 187July 18, 2019 1:34 AM

OP's extraordinary pride makes it seem possible that he might have said what he was planning.

However, as I said in R176, it is more likely that though they did not know what dessert OP was going to make, they were sure it would be something ghastly. Again, the intense pride as well as lack of preparation which is evident in the account of OP himself, demonstrates that he would try to work above his abilities. If that could be discerned in a quick read on DL, then it must have been even more obvious to his friends.

How many other doleful desserts had they been subject to? Or did they just hear about them from others in their circle? That cannot be answered. But OP's own account indicates that they were determined not to eat his desserts. A souffle is the lightest of desserts, but they were "too full." And they became "too full" after eating ... a mere cupcake?

by Anonymousreply 188July 18, 2019 1:35 AM

Omg. I haven’t checked this thread in a couple days and can’t believe the vitriol it has generated! And I can’t imagine why some you would think I’d make it up — seriously?

Have you mongrels ever made a soufflé? You make it sound like it’s the most complicated thing in the world — it’s not. I made three dessert souffles: vanilla, chocolate, and raspberry. The batter was made ahead of time (that morning) and then popped into the oven before dinner was finished and plates cleared. It was a perfectly timed baking ballet. Which is why I was so angered that the “well-meaning” guest tried to steal my thunder.

And no, my guests didn’t know what I was serving for dessert ahead of time. I just checked with everyone ahead of time for any allergies, preferences, etc.

Ahh Dataloungers, never lose your cuntiness!

by Anonymousreply 189July 18, 2019 1:45 AM

Were these the cupcakes?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190July 18, 2019 1:52 AM

Well, at least they weren't CRONUTS.

by Anonymousreply 191July 18, 2019 1:52 AM

[quote] I am continually amazed at all the detail you can get from the OP which isn't even there.

It's a prissy gay Rashomon.

by Anonymousreply 192July 18, 2019 1:53 AM

And I think we have just had confirmation of my interpretation of events.

R189 indicates that he saw this as a performance. ("steal my thunder") He was mostly concerned about how he appeared.

And the guests knew what that meant.

by Anonymousreply 193July 18, 2019 1:54 AM

You know, I'm never inviting R193 to a party. Nobody who goes to this much effort to excuse rude behavior is going to be anything but rude themselves. It all sounds very, very defensive.

by Anonymousreply 194July 18, 2019 1:55 AM

R174 ... I SO want to read that thread ... 🤣

by Anonymousreply 195July 18, 2019 2:00 AM

I can't believe this stupid fucking thread is about to break 200 posts.

by Anonymousreply 196July 18, 2019 2:01 AM

No I am pretty sure my interpretation is correct-- they were hungry because the main course was inedible and ate the cupcakes, fearing what was to come.

by Anonymousreply 197July 18, 2019 2:02 AM

R196 Me neither! Dear Lord in Heaven!

by Anonymousreply 198July 18, 2019 2:02 AM

Nothing is ruder than serving inedible food.

by Anonymousreply 199July 18, 2019 2:03 AM

Next time, I recommend a hors d'oeuvre like this to make sure your little soufflés won't be threatened

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200July 18, 2019 2:03 AM

Congrats, OP. The jury is still out, but I think this thread 'could' be in contention for the high honor of becoming a "DL classic".

by Anonymousreply 201July 18, 2019 2:06 AM

I would have presented my host with my Special Recipe MichFest Nutloaf.

by Anonymousreply 202July 18, 2019 2:09 AM

I can’t believe I’m even defending this, but ok I’ll indulge you, R199:

My dinner guests, except for the cupcake couple, were all repeat visitors, having enjoyed my cooking many times over the years. Why on earth would they subject themselves to “inedible food” when they could just decline the invitation?

Now run along, child, I’m sure it’s past your bedtime.

by Anonymousreply 203July 18, 2019 2:11 AM

My bitch sister-in-law brought me sprinkle cookies OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204July 18, 2019 2:12 AM

BTW the week before I tested out a cherry clafoutis to serve at the party; it was delicious but I decided on the soufflé trio instead.

Proof:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205July 18, 2019 2:15 AM

I imagine the critics of the OP and defenders of the box-mix cupcake rude asses probably think anything other than fast food is pretentious.

by Anonymousreply 206July 18, 2019 2:19 AM

SIlly. You should have graciously accepted their hospitality gift, and told them, " I'm going to save these for later. They look perfect for a late night snack. I hope they freeze well. " That would have been sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 207July 18, 2019 2:19 AM

As I said earlier, R203, if your guests knew what to expect that might explain why they were so determined to go for the cupcakes rather than the souffles.

When someone is "too full" for a souffle, think about what they are really saying.

To spell it out, they expected your souffles to be heavy, which is not a quality one wants in that dessert.

by Anonymousreply 208July 18, 2019 2:21 AM

OP, you sound a little excitable over a simple gesture. Does your man smack you around?

by Anonymousreply 209July 18, 2019 2:23 AM

R208 souffles are hardly heavy, it’s mostly air and egg whites

by Anonymousreply 210July 18, 2019 2:28 AM

R208, these were new friends-of-friends. How would they have "known what to expect"?

by Anonymousreply 211July 18, 2019 2:47 AM

R211, OP says "My dinner guests, except for the cupcake couple, were all repeat visitors, having enjoyed my cooking many times over the years."

by Anonymousreply 212July 18, 2019 3:00 AM

Please gets some manners Say thank you and move on

by Anonymousreply 213July 18, 2019 3:02 AM

Right, R210.

To spell it out, souffles are supposed to be light. So if a cupcake makes someone "too full" for such a light dish, either they are making a polite excuse to avoid the dessert, or the souffle is heavy (meaning they were badly made).

by Anonymousreply 214July 18, 2019 3:02 AM

And if the cupcake couple were friends of friends, one presumes the mutual friends would have warned them.

by Anonymousreply 215July 18, 2019 3:05 AM

R214 a single cupcake with buttercream frosting can be pretty filling, especially if eaten right after a large meal.

Quit trying to excuse rude behavior, cretin.

by Anonymousreply 216July 18, 2019 3:05 AM

Fess up OP. Alice made those souffles.

by Anonymousreply 217July 18, 2019 3:05 AM

OP, this sounds like a simple misunderstanding. You head one rule to not bring anything. Did everyone know of this rule? Maybe the cupcake couple, who sound charming by the way, was told to bring something?

by Anonymousreply 218July 18, 2019 3:34 AM

What's wrong with being honest. Smile gracious;y and thank them for being so thoughtful, then tell them you've already prepared something special for dessert. Ask them if they mind if you freeze them. Or Thank them, take them into the kitchen so you can put them on a platter, and then serve your souffle first and just have the cupcakes sitting on a sideboard for "later."

by Anonymousreply 219July 18, 2019 3:41 AM

Special Recipe MichFest Nutloaf SOUFFLE!

by Anonymousreply 220July 18, 2019 4:19 AM

What was the hosts husband doing all this time?

by Anonymousreply 221July 18, 2019 4:22 AM

Hmph, Op's cupcake carrying guest is a lightweight. Whenever I know some fussy gourmet is cooking up something special I bring these along to watch them pop a vessel. I also bring a crystal platter with a large paper doily and set about arranging them in the kitchen while the angry host's souffle collapses from beaten to death.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222July 18, 2019 5:04 AM

I for one fully accept that this is a real and true thread with lots of dessert drama. However it does appear that OP and her guests hover around the lower rungs of the social ladder. The hated guests with their tacky boxed day old cupcakes and the OP with her food bank delicacies and snotty attitude.

by Anonymousreply 223July 18, 2019 5:05 AM

OP, we are awaiting your rendition of the vicious face slapping that transpired at this event.

Please proceed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224July 18, 2019 5:24 AM

Is there an echo in here?

by Anonymousreply 225July 18, 2019 5:31 AM

by Anonymousreply 226July 18, 2019 5:31 AM

by Anonymousreply 227July 18, 2019 5:32 AM

So, to recap ...

Things to Bring to Dinner Parties:

1) Chocolates - check

2) Wine - check

3) Flowers - check

4) Cupcakes - on the bubble

What about a pizza?

by Anonymousreply 228July 18, 2019 5:34 AM

I understand why OP is in a snit over cupcakes from a mix, but what if I were to bring a whimsical litter-box cupcake tableau from a classy-as-fuck bakery and I could provide documentation that the box and scoop were mostly new and unused?

That would be different, right?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229July 18, 2019 6:01 AM

Is OP's husband the DLer who can't tell the difference between cilantro and parsley?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230July 18, 2019 6:05 AM

OP, take the hint: your highfalutin souffles SUCK.

by Anonymousreply 231July 18, 2019 6:25 AM

Frankly I would rather have had a damn cupcake than a damn soufflé.

by Anonymousreply 232July 18, 2019 6:28 AM

I'm still waiting like [R103] to hear what the silver pattern is, and I really want to know what the china and crystal patterns are, since the OP is quite the grande dame. I'd bet something by Lenox china and Waterford. *snort*

by Anonymousreply 233July 18, 2019 7:14 AM

I LOVE French silver, not Puiforcat, but Odiot.

But Dear Queen in r233, I have a recurring dream that I am invited to dinner and the table is set with Wallace Grand Baroque, Lenox Westchester and Baccarat Massena.

Expensive, yet mediocre.

by Anonymousreply 234July 18, 2019 7:26 AM

OP dump your husband. Useless POS not in keeping with your beautiful social ambitions.

by Anonymousreply 235July 18, 2019 7:35 AM

OP, you are not wily and evil enough for your Extremely Sugary Treats guests and their unwanted cupcakes.

1. You thank them graciously for their thoughtful and delicious looking cupcakes.

2. You whisk the offending cupcakes off to the kitchen.

3. At some point a bit later, perhaps while transferring them to a lovely serving tray, you "accidentally" knock them into the sink for easy clean-up or to the floor for authenticity's sake.

4. Explain to your guests how absolutely desolated you are at the loss but you will carry on with just your souffle this evening. Follow up with a lovely thank you card to them a few days later.

by Anonymousreply 236July 18, 2019 8:11 AM

OP = bottom

by Anonymousreply 237July 18, 2019 11:51 AM

[quote] Lots of rules here. When inviting someone to dinner all I ask is that they enjoy the meal and company. I expect nothing in return. I don't expect gifts, food, wine, etc. I don't expect a thank you note. Send me a text or PM. That is sufficient for me. However, I wouldn't mind an invitation in return sometime.

R163 is an example of a DLer who does NOT suffer from social class anxiety.

[quote] The PROPER WAY to thank your host or hostess is to send a thank-you card and a small gift the FOLLOWING day. The gift should be a box of chocolates, a tin of nuts, or an orchid plant. Period. Don't get creative!

R150 is an example of a DLer who suffers greatly.

by Anonymousreply 238July 18, 2019 12:09 PM

That’s why we Lesbians have pot luck...so much less drama

by Anonymousreply 239July 18, 2019 12:11 PM

Dreaming up an EST of his own, R221...

by Anonymousreply 240July 18, 2019 12:42 PM

OP is a major league KA-WEEEN!!!

by Anonymousreply 241July 18, 2019 12:56 PM

I once attended a family Christmas dinner where an otherwise adult brother and sister got into a shoving match in the kitchen because the brother brought a tub of Cool-Whip because he preferred it to real whipped cream and sister, who was a professional pastry chef, took great offense. There was soon shouting from the kitchen, the sort that would naturally follow, "I warned you not to bring that shit into my house!" There came the shoving and all oft that accompanying noise.

But I still don't believe OP's post is anything but a poorly researched EST.

by Anonymousreply 242July 18, 2019 1:13 PM

R242, how did it all end up? Did the tub of Cool-Whip end up dumped upon somebody's head?

by Anonymousreply 243July 18, 2019 1:22 PM

r243, they decided to go to ToonTown and settle things there.

by Anonymousreply 244July 18, 2019 1:31 PM

Toon Town meets Ruined Dinner Party! The 'Sharknado' of our times.

by Anonymousreply 245July 18, 2019 1:37 PM

[quote]I tested out a cherry clafoutis

If you go on down there to the free clinic, I’m sure they can clear all that up for ya. Probably only two shots too.

by Anonymousreply 246July 18, 2019 2:01 PM

[quote]4. Explain to your guests how absolutely desolated you are at the loss

But he wouldn’t be desolated if the guests are still there.

by Anonymousreply 247July 18, 2019 2:02 PM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a fresh & tasty Hostess Cupcake. I love the chocolate and orange equally.

by Anonymousreply 248July 18, 2019 2:30 PM

R239 I fucking LOATHE potlucks! Everyone has to use damned onions in their 'vegan' bullshit...I don't care if its vegan I just want to not need a trip to the hospital b/c of your creative use of chives...

by Anonymousreply 249July 18, 2019 5:14 PM

Oh, I highly doubt that R239

by Anonymousreply 250July 18, 2019 5:19 PM

Dear God, R242. That brother clearly HATES his sister. Insisting that a pastry chef serve vile Cool Whip is an aggressive act. He might as well have declared war.

Do you realize you can leave that shit out on the counter in a bowl for days and it will be in the exact same shape? It does't melt because it's not even real food.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251July 18, 2019 5:33 PM

I believe Cool Whip is made from petroleum, is that true?

by Anonymousreply 252July 18, 2019 5:37 PM

R243, it ended like this. Brother would NOT back down. Christmas would be ruined if he could not have Cool Whip topping on his dessert. The meal went on. When dessert was served, Sister refused to put Cool Whip on Brother's serving. He took it to the kitchen to do it himself. Sister started yelling, "Don't you dare. Don't you fucking dare...." Then everyone rose up to tell them both to shut up and grow up.

As I recall, he got his Cool Whip. Chriastmas has come and gone, but the enmity between siblings burns forever.

by Anonymousreply 253July 18, 2019 5:40 PM

Anyone who would bring Cool Whip to someone else’s party deserves to be whipped, and then never fed anything ever again. By anyone.

by Anonymousreply 254July 18, 2019 6:09 PM

I like Cool Whip.

*shrug*

by Anonymousreply 255July 18, 2019 6:13 PM

I feel as if the dinner party was ruined...but I would blame the friends, they should have informed their guest.

by Anonymousreply 256July 18, 2019 6:14 PM

I feel as if the dinner party was ruined...but I would blame the friends, they should have informed their guest.

by Anonymousreply 257July 18, 2019 6:14 PM

My partner and I were invited to a "dinner party" at the home of a friend of a couple with whom we had just made a new acquaintance.

However, since there was no proper invitation extended, our friends were told that we they should "bring us along" to the dinner, we didn't know what to expect. It was like we had been invited to come along to a suburban high school keg party or something. When we asked whether we should bring anything, our new friends smiled and said, "no." When I asked about the smile, they both said, "oh nothing. You'll see."

However, I've heard horror stories about these hillbilly hoedowns where they have cash bars and worse, so figured I'd make something that might appeal to the host. I'd heard that "cupcakes" were a popular new trend with this type of person, so figured I'd make a tray and take them along as a small hostess gift. Of course, I'm sure our host thought they were from some Betty Crocker package or something. If he didn't want them or need them, I figured he could just set them aside or toss them after we left.

Anyway, we arrived to dinner and the host made such a commotion about the cupcakes, I suggested he simply set them aside if he had other plans. That was before the almost inedible dinner that was served. By the time he made a grand show about serving dessert, another of the now starving guests piped up about the cupcakes we had brought. Although we had been hearing about "souffles" the entire dinner, the other guests seemed desperate for the cupcakes in order to have something that didn't taste like a it was made by a 98 year old arthritic woman whose taste buds and sense of smell had been burned out by decades of eating rubbish.

Frankly, I'm praying we never get another "invitation" from this person unless I'm on a fasting diet and don't intend to eat.

by Anonymousreply 258July 18, 2019 6:32 PM

R13 is correct. R13 has class.

OP is gauche, pretentious and NASTY. Never insult a guest in your home, even if they are acting out of line. Bringing cupcakes to a dinner party, btw, is not out of line. It might be unexpected and not to your specific liking, but a person expressed generosity to you, they offered you a gift, however humble or unexpected; accept it graciously, full stop. There is no other alternative.

by Anonymousreply 259July 18, 2019 6:33 PM

Cool Whip is made from recycled fryer oil from Hardee's.

by Anonymousreply 260July 18, 2019 6:34 PM

r258, the presumed cupcake-bringing guest, is just as insufferable as the host. Truly, they deserve each other.

by Anonymousreply 261July 18, 2019 6:36 PM

[quote]Cool Whip is made from recycled fryer oil from Hardee's.

Mmmmmmmm. Fryer oil.

by Anonymousreply 262July 18, 2019 7:25 PM

r259 you must have the attention span or reading comprehension of a gnat. It was already stated upthread that I accepted the cupcakes and didn’t make the giver feel ashamed for bringing them - at the time. My friends who invited them apologized the next day for their behavior, and they chastised them for bringing them after they (our mutual friends) told them not to.

I may sound like a caftan-wearing MARY! on DL, but I would never make a guest in my home feel unwelcome or scorned. They just won’t get an invitation to return.

by Anonymousreply 263July 18, 2019 7:39 PM

[quote] They just won’t get an invitation to return.

That's a relief.

by Anonymousreply 264July 18, 2019 7:41 PM

R263 you might not intentionally make your guests feel unwelcome or scorned, but you have a bad energy about you. I’m sure they do not like coming to your house

by Anonymousreply 265July 18, 2019 7:50 PM

OP, did the couple you invited as well as “the offenders” arrive together or was one fashionably late?

by Anonymousreply 266July 18, 2019 8:19 PM

R266 they arrived together

R265 boo hoo. My friends, family and colleagues would say differently.

by Anonymousreply 267July 18, 2019 8:42 PM

[quote]R266 they arrived together

So then let me ask you this: if the couple thought the faux pas was so egregious as to be worthy of being chastised, why didn’t they tell them to leave the cupcakes in the car?

It makes no sense that they wouldn’t see the obvious conflict and avoid it as opposed to shrieking at them afterward.

Sorry, EST, oops, I mean, OP.

by Anonymousreply 268July 18, 2019 8:50 PM

R268 oh wow, you just busted me like a villain on Scooby Doo.

I don’t know, nor do I care. Schadenfreunde, perhaps? Whatever the reason, you are WAY too invested in this. Get out of your Mom’s basement more, hon.

by Anonymousreply 269July 18, 2019 8:57 PM

No, I didn’t bust you, the totality of everyone here did. I’m far from my mom’s basement and this is my first post on this thread questioning you.

Go ahead, block-dar and find out.

by Anonymousreply 270July 18, 2019 9:18 PM

I had some "extra rich, made with real cream" Cool Whip on my fresh strawberries & pound cake. (supermarket bakery pound cake) and it was delish!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 271July 18, 2019 9:31 PM

Skimming on my phone, I thought this said "Donner Party RUINED Because of Rude Guests." I don't know what I was expecting when I clicked through, but I'm disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 272July 18, 2019 9:33 PM

R272, you dream comes true.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273July 18, 2019 9:35 PM

Do people really have dinner parties?

by Anonymousreply 274July 18, 2019 9:51 PM

And no baked potato bar in sight! Scandale!

by Anonymousreply 275July 18, 2019 10:16 PM

It went something like this R224

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276July 18, 2019 10:27 PM

GeorgeGlass should have simply hosted them a Golden Corral.

by Anonymousreply 277July 18, 2019 10:27 PM

More like tbjs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278July 18, 2019 10:38 PM

tbjs?

GeorgeGlass is so hip...

by Anonymousreply 279July 18, 2019 10:49 PM

Nope, just fat fingers. I had to eat ALL those souffles by myself.

by Anonymousreply 280July 18, 2019 10:50 PM

what the fuck does tbjs mean?

by Anonymousreply 281July 18, 2019 11:07 PM

^^ tbjs = this.

See R280

by Anonymousreply 282July 18, 2019 11:11 PM

I can just see Op licking the frosting off those cupcakes and then returning the frosting free cupcakes to the offending party

by Anonymousreply 283July 18, 2019 11:12 PM

It could have been worse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284July 18, 2019 11:18 PM

Miss Manners Says:

DON'T BRING ANYTHING!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285July 18, 2019 11:20 PM

I think a Dollar Tree pound cake would've made a much more thoughtful gift.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286July 19, 2019 2:56 AM

[quote][R150] is an example of a DLer who suffers greatly.—YourMillennialFriend

—YourMillennialFriendWhoKnowsNothing

by Anonymousreply 287July 19, 2019 4:04 AM

OP sounds like a pretentious twat. I would much rather attend a dinner party hosted by the cupcake whore.

by Anonymousreply 288July 19, 2019 6:07 AM

Thanks R284 and R285. Where were you 200 posts ago? Miss Manners is ALWAYS right. Only unsophisticated rubes try to hijack dinner parties with potluck contributions when specifically (and emphatically) told NOT to bring anything. That said, a good host always knows how to stay in control of his/her own gathering while deftly "handling" offending guests. They should always be made to feel welcome, even if their cup cakes are not.

by Anonymousreply 289July 19, 2019 10:57 AM

[quote]I had some "extra rich, made with real cream" Cool Whip on my fresh strawberries & pound cake.

No, there is no cream in Cool Whip. You might be thinking of Reddi Wip in the can...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290July 19, 2019 11:00 AM

[quote]Donner Party RUINED Because of Rude Guests.

Well, in all fairness, r272, I’d hardly call it a success.

by Anonymousreply 291July 19, 2019 11:59 AM

As a host, I'd much rather receive a thank-you note after the party. I do like to give a token gift when I arrive, but that's usually some fresh fruit or vegetables from my garden, or a small loaf of homemade fruit bread -- those need no immediate attention and obviously are not meant to be included in dinner (instead, they're nice to have the next day).

by Anonymousreply 292July 19, 2019 12:44 PM

I know no one will believe me , halfway through reading this thread, I went to the supermarket just to get a box of Betty Crocker red velvet mix and a Can of cream cheese frosting. And today I whipped a batch of 18 luscious cupcakes to bring to the gay beach this weekend. Maybe I’ll run into OP there!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293July 19, 2019 2:49 PM

No self-respecting gay man would eat a cupcake at the beach! You have to take your shirt off there.

by Anonymousreply 294July 19, 2019 3:30 PM

No. I had Cool Whip. From a white plastic tub that said, "Cool Whip". In fact it says: "extra creamy. Made with real cream." They have several different versions. This is the one I like best. Of course I prefer real whipped cream. The kind you whip yourself. That's the best. I hate the canned version. But this keeps in the freezer until I need it.

by Anonymousreply 295July 19, 2019 4:15 PM

[quote]In fact it says: "extra creamy. Made with real cream."

Yeah, but it doesn’t say whose cream. Could be ole Charley down at the plant, “Yup. Real cream!”

by Anonymousreply 296July 19, 2019 4:38 PM

They are legally allowed to claim “made with real cream” even if just a drop of cream was used.

by Anonymousreply 297July 19, 2019 4:59 PM

This is OP, the moment she realized someone brought cupcakes to her dinner party.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298July 20, 2019 5:03 AM

Tune in Sunday evening to find out how OP settled the score after a last minute brunch invite from the Cupcake Couple (who really do sound delightful).

by Anonymousreply 299July 21, 2019 3:02 AM

If you guys think this is bad, you should hear MY story!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300July 21, 2019 4:22 AM

So, what's the consensus, guys? Is this a troll thread?

by Anonymousreply 301July 21, 2019 5:28 PM

This is a TROLL THREAD!

OP clearly read the "Donner Party RUINED Because of Rude Guests" thread and decided to make fun of a real tragedy.

Read the original thread and it will break your heart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302July 21, 2019 6:11 PM

It was pretty easy to spot, R301

Sincerely, R1

by Anonymousreply 303July 21, 2019 6:37 PM

If you invite me to dinner, do not expect me to ask "What can I bring?" If I invite you, Just say thanks and arrive on time!

by Anonymousreply 304July 21, 2019 7:06 PM

r302 is trying really hard to make his thread "The Original Thread" with 12 replies starting last Wednesday. FF'd

by Anonymousreply 305July 21, 2019 7:09 PM

I don’t know why some of you are insisting this is fake. Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 306July 21, 2019 7:10 PM

I suggested the Donner party parody all the way back at R91. I appreciate both efforts, as I didn't feel confident that I could do it justice. Regardless, both are more entertaining than the OP's dinner party.

by Anonymousreply 307July 21, 2019 7:19 PM

GeorgeGlass, it is a pity they did not bring scones and clotted cream.

No?

by Anonymousreply 308July 21, 2019 7:27 PM

R308 that would not have worked with my French menu anyway

by Anonymousreply 309July 21, 2019 8:52 PM

Just had a bunch of friends over for a casual dinner party and one of the guests (she's from the south) was horrified that we didn't do a pot luck. She kept saying during dinner that "next time we should all bring a dish so you won't have to go to all this trouble. It's too much work for one person"....blah, blah, blah....on and on. She meant well, but just stop, please. Honey, if I didn't want to "go to the trouble" I wouldn't have had a dinner party. So fucking annoying. At one point I flatly said, "are you not enjoying the things I prepared?"

by Anonymousreply 310July 22, 2019 1:21 AM

R310, I would say, "I'm gay. I can't do that."

But you are probably a better person than I.

by Anonymousreply 311July 22, 2019 1:30 AM

R285 I have never cared for Miss Manners, it is a bit pretentious for her to call herself that. I always go by what the Emily Post Institute says.

[quote]And don’t bring food for the meal unless you’ve been asked to. Otherwise you risk putting your host on the spot and upsetting the menu. Casual dinner party Dinner party guests usually bring a hostess gift unless they are close friends who dine together frequently. Gift possibilities include wine, Champagne, flowers (preferably in a vase), a potted plant, chocolates, specialty food items such as jams and jellies or other condiments, fancy nuts, olives, olive oil or vinegars, or items for the house, such as cocktail napkins, guest soaps and lotions , a picture frame, or a scented candle. A CD or book is also appropriate if you know your host’s taste.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312July 22, 2019 1:38 AM

Thank you, r312. I thought the Miss Manners advice was very off-putting.

by Anonymousreply 313July 22, 2019 1:40 AM

THANK YOU R312

by Anonymousreply 314July 22, 2019 1:56 AM

But, r312, what cord does the the Emily Post Institute recommend to garotte a guest who retrieves their cupcakes from the kitchen and distributes them to the assembled?

Fine silk braid or wire?

by Anonymousreply 315July 22, 2019 6:50 AM

[quote] [R302] is trying really hard to make his thread "The Original Thread" with 12 replies starting last Wednesday. FF'd

Girls, girls, don't fight over me! I'm the one to F&F if you're so inclined, R305. I started the Donner Party thread long after this one started, not R302.

by Anonymousreply 316July 22, 2019 7:05 AM

We all know the cupcakes were delicious, not disgusting like the souffles made by OP cunt.

by Anonymousreply 317July 22, 2019 7:20 AM

Sounds like r316 and others are impersonating me.

Imitation is the highest form of flattery. The Aspie Thread Copycat also gets all his ideas from me.

by Anonymousreply 318July 22, 2019 7:21 AM

Margret [sic],

Your thread:

[quote]Last Saturday at 9:19 PM

My thread:

[quote]Last Wednesday at 7:24 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319July 22, 2019 7:35 AM

[quote]But, [R312], what cord does the the Emily Post Institute recommend to garotte a guest who retrieves their cupcakes from the kitchen and distributes them to the assembled? Fine silk braid or wire?

I found a simple clothesline works divine.

by Anonymousreply 320July 22, 2019 11:00 AM

r319 [sick]

Your thread: [quote]Lame

My thread: [quote]Funny

Which is why mine got more comments, likes and views. I didn't know about your thread before I wrote mine — that's just serendipity, I guess. I'm still glad I wrote mine. You're NOT comically gifted. Keep your day job.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 321July 22, 2019 1:18 PM

As the suggester of a Donner Party parody thread at R91, I shall decide which of the two competing parody threads is the better one.

Patrick, while I appreciate that you took up the challenge first, I'm afraid I have to choose Margret's over yours. Her version better lines up with the original OP.

I have spoken.

by Anonymousreply 322July 22, 2019 2:12 PM

R293 it's Monday your red velvet's will be rock buns by the weekend and possibly started to grow penicillin on the icing...

by Anonymousreply 323July 22, 2019 8:37 PM

r323 Oh, dear to the fourth power.

by Anonymousreply 324July 22, 2019 8:58 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325July 23, 2019 5:49 PM

There can be no doubt that the OP pronounces "ruined" as "ROO-eened." Exactly like Stewie Griffin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326July 23, 2019 6:03 PM

For some reason, I pictured him pronouncing it as “rooned.”

by Anonymousreply 327July 23, 2019 7:34 PM

Yes, R327. Absolutely.

OP also says, "Thee-ter."

by Anonymousreply 328July 23, 2019 7:36 PM

Oh wow, r323, do you pay any attention to post dates?

by Anonymousreply 329July 23, 2019 9:52 PM

And the cupcakes were a hit at the beach, BTW. Both on Saturday and Sunday. They would have made OP’s party guests salivate.

by Anonymousreply 330July 23, 2019 9:54 PM

And the cupcakes were a hit at the beach both on Saturday and Sunday, BTW.

by Anonymousreply 331July 23, 2019 9:55 PM

Sorry for the double post. This thread is a bit whack:

by Anonymousreply 332July 23, 2019 9:56 PM

[quote]One couple I invited because they are new friends of some dear friends, so I told them to bring them along. They seem fun and are new to town. I had one rule: don’t bring anything.

OP - So you told your old friends to bring their "new friends along". What made you think that your old friends told their new friends not to bring anything?

by Anonymousreply 333July 23, 2019 10:07 PM

This thread is an endless source of amusement. Carry on, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 334July 23, 2019 10:08 PM

Doesn't take much, does it, R334?

This thread stopped being amusing about 200 posts ago and I can't believe people are still beating this dead, rotting, fetid horse.

by Anonymousreply 335July 23, 2019 10:31 PM

Yet you are still here R335.

by Anonymousreply 336July 23, 2019 10:47 PM

So predictable, R336.

by Anonymousreply 337July 23, 2019 11:05 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338July 23, 2019 11:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!