Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

ICE Raids

Are they going on in your area?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121August 8, 2019 2:42 PM

Not as far as I’ve heard though I know we were scheduled for them.

by Anonymousreply 1July 14, 2019 7:07 PM

I sure hope so.

by Anonymousreply 2July 14, 2019 7:38 PM

If you encourage people to break the law it's actually a crime too. Does no one acknowledge that anymore?

The current system for immigration and naturalization is a complete mess. It needs to be reworked from top to bottom from both practical and humanitarian perspectives. At the moment, people are just using the problem for political gain.

by Anonymousreply 3July 14, 2019 7:42 PM

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that ICE tried to detain people in NYC, but ICE does not have judicial warrants permitting them to enter people’s homes, so the attempts were unsuccessful.

by Anonymousreply 4July 14, 2019 8:15 PM

ICE would need to come to my area on a weekday to be effective. The landscape people and builders aren’t here on the weekend.

by Anonymousreply 5July 14, 2019 8:15 PM

Me too r2... does anybody have the 800 number so I can call them !!! Saw a bunch in line at Walmart speekie no English but sure know how to use the Wic card !!!

by Anonymousreply 6July 14, 2019 10:06 PM

ABC: ICE raids across major US cities fall short of expectations but fear remains

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 15, 2019 2:15 AM

L.A. Times: ICE raids keep some hiding inside, afraid to be out in public

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 15, 2019 2:17 AM

Eugene O'Neill predicted this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 15, 2019 2:23 AM

Helpful hints from LA County for the "Immigration Emergency."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 15, 2019 2:28 AM

Well Cher said we need to take care of our own.

by Anonymousreply 11July 15, 2019 2:30 AM

Since they are all staying home, that means no traffic on Monday then?

by Anonymousreply 12July 15, 2019 3:37 AM

Why would you warn criminals about a raid?

by Anonymousreply 13July 15, 2019 3:51 AM

r12

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 15, 2019 5:08 AM

Send them back !

by Anonymousreply 15July 15, 2019 5:13 AM

I already informed on some to ICE, maybe next time they will learn to accept my coupon when it's still valid

by Anonymousreply 16July 15, 2019 5:23 AM

I'm I missing something? They are not just rounding up random immigrants. They are specifically rounding up people, whom the courts have already issued deportation orders for. Are supposed to get upset at law enforcement actually enforcing court orders? And, we have members of Congress, actually telling people how to avoid court orders.

Sorry, but it is getting too crazy. We are either a country of laws or we aren't. Once a court issues such an order, I expect it to be followed. How about we just start ignoring all court rulings we don't like. People should just quit paying child support, or going to jail, or leaving their homes if they are evicted or foreclosed on. The average white, black, Hispanic, Native American, etc... citizens and legal aliens have to abide by the law and court orders, why not this group?

by Anonymousreply 17July 15, 2019 5:38 AM

"We are either a country of laws or we aren't."

I know, right?!

by Anonymousreply 18July 15, 2019 5:43 AM

Look, it’s not straight forward. First, an immigration violation is a civil offense, not a criminal offense. So, for the 500th time, R13, and R17, you are morons. Second, what constitutes a criminal offense if you are an immigrant can Retroactively change. Let’s say you come to this country in 2003. You sell weed. Not a felony. In 2010 Obama changes what can be actionable, now you find yourself charged with a crime.

That’s right, you follow the law, then boom, they change the law.

Many of the people Ice is rounding up are people who have in good faith, and with the advice of lawyers have followed the law.

Ice is rounding up active duty personnel who are not citizens, but, again, are serving in the military and therefore are eligible for citizenship.

Many people ice is a rounding up are green card holders, people, who, again, are here legally.

Finally, for those of you cheering on the gestapo, ask yourself, why did trump target congress women born in the US today?

That’s right, sweeties, trump wants to pull citizenship from people born here. So, you better have your DNA test proving your Northern European ancestry. Remember, the English consider the Irish the “n-ggers” of Europe. So by these rules the Seans and Liams are fucked.

Continue with your bigotry..

by Anonymousreply 19July 15, 2019 9:24 AM

R19 you’re an idiot. Trump is not trying to pull citizenship from people who were born here. Those cunts in congress he was talking about are just that. Cunts.

by Anonymousreply 20July 15, 2019 9:38 AM

R20, you shouldn’t be calling people idiots. Or cunts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 15, 2019 9:46 AM

I said Wants, sweetie, not trying too, R20.

Reading comprehension, it’s not in your skill set.

But, yes, trump wants to change birth right citizenship.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 15, 2019 9:49 AM

You never hear these Trumpsters demanding that others who have committed a misdemeanor or a civil crime be rounded up and put in dog pens without toothpaste or shower facilities. That's how you know it's racism and fascism.

Most of the people complaining have broken a law by theft, drug use, falsifying taxes, you name it. That's okay, of course. But someone who has been in the country since they were a kid and who has their paperwork for citizenship submitted should be rounded up and put into a concentration camp for Big Reasons.

by Anonymousreply 23July 15, 2019 10:01 AM

I'd he's reelected, the raids will be huge.

by Anonymousreply 24July 15, 2019 10:11 AM

Tourists and illegal immigrants keep having anchor babies. I don't think pregnant foreigners should be allowed to just arrive and leave with an American citizen. R22

by Anonymousreply 25July 15, 2019 10:20 AM

This is actually is a pretty civil convo on a sensitive topic. Me likey!

This confuses me from R19, though:

[quote]Second, what constitutes a criminal offense if you are an immigrant can Retroactively change. Let’s say you come to this country in 2003. You sell weed. Not a felony. In 2010 Obama changes what can be actionable, now you find yourself charged with a crime.

(from here on, may I please make my example topic a male preferring he, him, his, for simplicity?) Is the scenario you’re describing have an adult who illegally entered the country in 2003, and has been illegally selling weed since then? Were there any places someone could sell weed legally then? I don’t think so—so I’m assuming you agree that he was committing a crime. Part of my confusion is I can’t tell if the dealer was ever charged and/or convicted for a crime. So, when, in 2010, Obama did something that made selling weed a felony, are you saying that the immigrant had previously adjudicated convictions that were originally classified as less than felonies, such that he was deemed less of a priority to deport, but that the Obama action reclassified his convictions as felonies, which increased the likelihood that law enforcement would be looking to apprehend and deport him? Or are you saying that he hasn’t been caught and convicted on drug trafficking charges so far, and that prior to Obama’s decision and this current crackdown on illegal immigrants that are breaking the law, he could sell weed illegally with less worry that he’d be deported if he’s caught, but now the risks are much higher and he can’t continue on with business as usual? Or have I completely misunderstood your example?

If one of my descriptions fits your example, I don’t understand how it aligns with “You follow the law, then BOOM, they change the law,” which I took to mean that seeking to deport him now is somehow unfair to the weed dealer here illegally. At the minimum he’s broken immigration laws, obviously, and also drug trafficking laws. Why is it unfair to him if law enforcement puts more resources into ensuring those that have been ordered to deport actually leave? I see a good parallel with police speed traps. If you and your fellow commuters have been blowing past the posted speed limit on your way to work for a couple of years with no law enforcement in sight, is it unfair for cops to one morning setup their cars and equipment right at the end of a blind curve, just over the other side of a small hill, and pull over all you Speed Racers to saddle you with speeding tickets?

If I totally misinterpreted your example, I’d appreciate you correcting my errors! This is a good discussion 🙂

by Anonymousreply 26July 15, 2019 10:53 AM

A drugs conviction, even a misdemeanor, can be considered a "crime of moral turpitude" and a single conviction could be enough to get someone deported. Even if not convicted, if an immigrant admits to certain crimes (DUI, forgery, drug dealing, etc.) at any point, it could be considered enough to deport.

I took R19 to be referring to the Obama administration's tendency to deport immigrants who had minor infractions like traffic violations or even no violations at all. Also, there was a 2010 memo from the ICE director at the time which outlined the categories under which immigrants would be deported, and they were reportedly so broad that one-third of all immigrants in the US would qualify for deportation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 15, 2019 11:11 AM

Trump is an anchor baby. His mother wasn’t a US citizen when he was born.

His wife is foreign.

Deport them first.

by Anonymousreply 28July 15, 2019 11:11 AM

This big roundup will fail just like everything else this asshat has tried before.

It's all about stirring up fear and confusion while pandering to the idiots who support him.

"Look, I'm making you safe!".

Try Maralago. I hear there are Salvadorans hiding in the walk ins.

by Anonymousreply 29July 15, 2019 11:14 AM

R26, I mean exactly what I said.

See page 16, relief from deportation. Notice, this is a 2012 manual. This is Obama era ruling.

For example, if you are lawful, you may get relief from deportation under old laws. (Selling pot was ok), Now selling pot isn’t ok. So, you are legal, you have paid your fine, and haven’t been in trouble.

Because the new law went into effect, you could be retroactively punished by being deported. (Ina 212 c).

I’m using selling pot as an example, but there’s a list of crimes that are misdemeanors. These misdemeanors were made retroactive felonies for non citizens, I believe in 2010. R27. That’s one reason a lot of people didn’t challenge their citizenship status- even if they had previously,with the help of immigration attorneys, followed the law, Boom, deportation.

Also note, page 8 references asylum seekers as legal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30July 15, 2019 11:24 AM

This will end in tears.

by Anonymousreply 31July 15, 2019 11:49 AM

2 of Trumps 3 wives are immigrants, proving yet again that immigrants take the jobs most Americans refuse to do.

by Anonymousreply 32July 15, 2019 11:54 AM

At trim that shit down.

by Anonymousreply 33July 15, 2019 11:55 AM

The big hypocrisy is that Trump is involved in birth tourism for rich Russians.

by Anonymousreply 34July 15, 2019 1:19 PM

[quote]But, yes, trump wants to change birth right citizenship.

The US and Canada are the last two Western (first world) countries that still have birth right citizenship. It was abolished everywhere else. Ireland, for example, got rid of it in the early 2000s because the law was being flagrantly abused. It passed with 79% of the vote.

by Anonymousreply 35July 15, 2019 1:28 PM

So I assume this isn't o.k. with you, r25......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36July 15, 2019 1:43 PM

Any questions about whether the far right has trolls here should be cleared up by reading this thread.

by Anonymousreply 37July 15, 2019 2:05 PM

The nearly non-existent raids aren't about deporting illegal immigrants, they're about terrorizing a democrat voting segment of the population.

by Anonymousreply 38July 15, 2019 2:09 PM

[quote]The nearly non-existent raids aren't about deporting illegal immigrants, they're about terrorizing a democrat voting segment of the population.

R38, would you expand on the details or demographics of the Democrat voting segment that is terrorized by non-existent raids? I know plenty of D voters expressing outrage. I don’t think they feel terrorized, though. I think you’re talking about a different segment with which I’m less familiar.

by Anonymousreply 39July 15, 2019 2:24 PM

[quote] Sorry, but it is getting too crazy. We are either a country of laws or we aren't.

I raise you a Donald J Trump

by Anonymousreply 40July 15, 2019 3:01 PM

Getting rid of illegals will just raise prices for the Middle Class.

illegals have allowed the Middle Class to enjoy luxuries that were only afforded to the rich--child care, home cleaning, lawn maintenance, eating a high end restaurants, etc.

I'm not looking forward to the $5 tomato

by Anonymousreply 41July 15, 2019 3:03 PM

Then middle class people can get off their lazy asses and mow their own lawns and clean their own houses. They used to do it themselves, for generations.

by Anonymousreply 42July 15, 2019 3:08 PM

I would prefer they concentrated on drug dealers and MS13 gangs rather than your average hard working landscaper.

by Anonymousreply 43July 15, 2019 3:13 PM

If there was a problem

Yo, I'll solve it

by Anonymousreply 44July 15, 2019 3:23 PM

I think yesterday's weak raids were a fakeout. The real thing is yet to come. This may have been a canary play, to find leakers.

by Anonymousreply 45July 15, 2019 4:09 PM

Not in NYC, that I’ve heard of...

The media is very disappointed.

But yeah, like r43 said, I’d like them to get rid of the bad guys and keep the law-abiding and hardworking people.

by Anonymousreply 46July 15, 2019 6:41 PM

R35, I’d vote to end that shit, too.

by Anonymousreply 47July 15, 2019 6:43 PM

IF birthright citizenship ends, it needs to not be retroactive. I cannot imagine the horror and trauma of being an adult born in this country and considering yourself an American your entire life and then suddenly through no fault of your own losing everything you've worked for and getting deported to a country where you have nothing and no one and may not even speak the language.

by Anonymousreply 48July 15, 2019 6:48 PM

[quote] "crime of moral turpitude"

Or as I call it, " Saturday night."

by Anonymousreply 49July 15, 2019 6:48 PM

I can't imagine when the real raids happen the public will be getting any advanced notice like yesterday

by Anonymousreply 50July 15, 2019 6:51 PM

[quote] DJT: Many many were “taken out” on Sunday, you just didn’t know about it. (I still don’t) ...

It’s come to that. “I’ve done the greatest things in the world. You just don’t know about it.” If no one knows about it, truly nobody, there’s a valid argument that the thing didn’t happen.

by Anonymousreply 51July 15, 2019 8:08 PM

You don't announce it for weeks ahead of time if you're interested in going after criminals. And now the Asshole is telling us that they caught "thousands of criminals" in "Big raids" even if we didn't see it..... right.

by Anonymousreply 52July 15, 2019 8:19 PM

He not only can't keep his promises, he can't keep his threats.

by Anonymousreply 53July 15, 2019 10:29 PM

It kills me when he asserts some imaginary thing, then reassures everyone that they just didn’t notice. I wish he would do that with the wall.

“Oh, yeah, Mexico totally paid for it. You just didn’t notice.”

by Anonymousreply 54July 15, 2019 10:56 PM

At least he stopped talking about that stupid wall all the time.

He's trying (illegally) to move funds around but that will probably be blocked by the courts.

tRump is claiming his usual bullshit about the "Yuge" number of people who've been rounded up. Funny, nobody else saw anything of the kind. He's failed again and is claiming victory. Right from Roy Cohns' playbook. I really hate this man.

And I don't get the census question thing at all. The census isn't mandatory and if pressed just lie. Census takers are usually retirees with a clip board anyways. Just more failed scare tactics and bluster.

by Anonymousreply 55July 16, 2019 2:49 AM

Can someone explain how one would lose "birthright citizenship"? Am I correct that it would be at risk if you were born in the US to non-citizen parents?

by Anonymousreply 56July 16, 2019 3:02 AM

R56, the Constitution would have to be rewritten. Birthright citizenship is a part of the Fourteenth Amendment.

by Anonymousreply 57July 16, 2019 4:16 AM

The Constitution also covers everyone within the borders of the United States, but Trump and his cultists don't seem to remember that part.

by Anonymousreply 58July 16, 2019 4:24 AM

The only way to lose "birthright citizenship”, is to renounce it.

by Anonymousreply 59July 16, 2019 4:38 AM

NYT: ‘Nobody Opened the Door’: Neighbors Rally During an ICE Raid in Houston

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60July 16, 2019 3:02 PM

[quote]And I don't get the census question thing at all. The census isn't mandatory and if pressed just lie.

That's the part you don't get; the question is meant to intimidate people into not answering the census, because they fear deportation for themselves or their loved ones. Everyone knows it's not mandatory. Even if someone "just lies," their name and current address are recorded, and the rest of the household, too. People with certain kinds of names, or that have a short or spotty history in this country, can then be raided, separated, detained, and eventually deported.

So instead, people won't take it. Lots of people. Besides undocumented immigrants, naturalized and birthright citizen-immigrants might avoid it too. So will people married or partnered to an immigrant, or children and grandchildren who live with an immigrant, who might themselves be natural-born citizens from another line several generations removed from their immigrant ancestors, if they even had immigrants in their family tree. So it effects many more people than just "illegals."

The reason Trump and the GOP support this is so populations will be miscounted in urban areas, sanctuary cities, Democratic strongholds and blue states, and the redder, more rural, conservative and white areas will have even more lopsided political power to wield against the rest of us. It's bad enough how the centuries old constitution rigs the game with the Senate and Electoral College; now that SCOTUS has sanctioned partisan gerrymandering, all bets are off. SCOTUS has also been dismantling voting rights for years. The fix is in. WAKE UP.

by Anonymousreply 61July 16, 2019 3:22 PM

[quote] Trump is an anchor baby. His mother wasn’t a US citizen when he was born.

Uh, didn’t his mother marry an American citizen? That’s not an anchor baby, idiot. You’re American by birth if one parent is from the US.

by Anonymousreply 62July 16, 2019 3:26 PM

[R61] Good point. I was just starting to wonder why they would want inaccurate statistics and you answered my question.

by Anonymousreply 63July 16, 2019 4:42 PM

SEND THEM ALL BACK !!!!!!! TRUMP 2020

by Anonymousreply 64July 16, 2019 5:41 PM

Let's start with Donald, anchor baby, and illegal alien, Melania!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 65July 17, 2019 4:00 AM

[quote]Can someone explain how one would lose "birthright citizenship”

Because the wording explicitly includes the phrase “subject to the jurisdiction thereof,” there must be some situation where someone is born within the U.S. and not subject to the jurisdiction thereof. The claim is that a baby born to a pair of illegals, or even foreign visitors, is not subject to American jurisdiction and therefore not entitled to birthright citizenship. The only reason for the citizenship clause was to protect newly freed slaves. It wasn’t envisioned to protect “anchor babies”.

by Anonymousreply 66July 17, 2019 6:04 PM

[quote] Because the wording explicitly includes the phrase “subject to the jurisdiction thereof,” there must be some situation where someone is born within the U.S. and not subject to the jurisdiction thereof.

There is. On Sunday I dined with a lifelong friend who was born in New York to Canadian parents. They were at the time attached to Canada's Foreign Service and were working in the US as staff on a diplomat assignment. He's not American, as in he has no citizenship, no accent, no acculturation. It's as if he were born in Ottawa or Moncton.

by Anonymousreply 67July 17, 2019 6:26 PM

R66, so you are saying that if you are a foreign visitor (but not attached to a diplomatic embassy) or an illegal immigrant, you cannot be arrested by the U.S. for crimes committed in the U.S.? Because that's what you are saying.

by Anonymousreply 68July 17, 2019 7:10 PM

Round 'em up and send 'em back! God Bless Amurrika!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69July 17, 2019 7:52 PM

Stop pretending you're angry they came here illegally.

You just don't want them here.

If you were ONLY concerned about them entering illegally you would support an immigration system that isn't impossible for anyone who doesn't have Melania's tits.

by Anonymousreply 70July 17, 2019 8:05 PM

Reuters: Pentagon approves additional 2,100 troops to U.S.-Mexico border

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71July 17, 2019 8:21 PM

Give them 24 hours to pack up and GET THE HELL OUT OF MY COUNTRY!!!! Illegal is illegal Criminals go home.

by Anonymousreply 72July 17, 2019 8:53 PM

One word, r72.......Compoz

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73July 17, 2019 8:59 PM

r68, no. The argument is that “subject to the jurisdiction thereof” refers to someone being a subject of this country versus being a subject of a different country or sovereign.

by Anonymousreply 74July 18, 2019 5:05 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75July 18, 2019 5:16 AM

"Stop pretending you're angry they came here illegally.

You just don't want them here.

If you were ONLY concerned about them entering illegally you would support an immigration system that isn't impossible for anyone who doesn't have Melania's skin color."

Fify.

by Anonymousreply 76July 18, 2019 6:13 AM

R74, the phrase "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside" is interpreted to mean that if you are born here you are a U.S. citizen, and are under the full governmental power of the US, and you remain one unless you subsequently acquire another citizenship.

by Anonymousreply 77July 18, 2019 6:19 AM

Send illegal anchor baby Melania and her chain immigration parents back where they came from!

by Anonymousreply 78July 21, 2019 4:18 PM

[quote] And I don't get the census question thing at all. The census isn't mandatory and if pressed just lie. Census takers are usually retirees with a clip board anyways. Just more failed scare tactics and bluster.

I heard that one answers under the penalty of perjury. No? You sure?

by Anonymousreply 79July 21, 2019 9:26 PM

[quote] R57: [R56], the Constitution would have to be rewritten. Birthright citizenship is a part of the Fourteenth Amendment

Can’t the SCOTUS twist itself into a pretzel and reinterpret this?

by Anonymousreply 80July 21, 2019 9:27 PM

What if I add four other imaginary residents to my home for the census? Is that illegal? The purpose is for everyone to do this, and increase representation in Congress, and financial aid to the blue areas.

by Anonymousreply 81July 21, 2019 9:34 PM

[quote] And I don't get the census question thing at all.

It's about under-counting Democrats. You terrorize largely Democrat voting Hispanic Americans so that they avoid the census for fear of getting entangled in the immigration system even if they're native born Americans.

by Anonymousreply 82July 21, 2019 10:45 PM

This pisses me off so much that we are now in a position where where we have"active shooter " drills and now little kids are going knocking on doors at their apartment complexes passing out flyers with instructions on how to deal with ICE agents. Hate Trump so much I just.... I read one article where the activists actually have 24 hour watch where people sit in their cars or situate themselves where they can observe all night long to make sure ICE doesn't come knocking.

by Anonymousreply 83July 23, 2019 3:17 PM

ICE agents should just drop dead, along with Trump. That is how I feel about it.

by Anonymousreply 84July 23, 2019 3:20 PM

Trump didn't invent ICE raids...people are just overreacting. Trump is not the first president to order the deportation of illegal immigrants.

by Anonymousreply 85July 23, 2019 3:21 PM

Shut up stupid, we know that. Trump just turned them into hated monsters.

by Anonymousreply 86July 23, 2019 3:22 PM

They are hated because they are doing their jobs? Several western countries put illegal children in cages. Where else are you supposed to put them, hotels?

by Anonymousreply 87July 23, 2019 3:25 PM

then don't come crying when an illegal immigrant kills one of your relatives

by Anonymousreply 88July 23, 2019 3:25 PM

People keep acting as if illegal immigrants are refugees or runaway slaves. They aren't. Illegals should get deported by any means necessary. I don't care how many anchor babies they had, even American parents lose their kids to the system sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 89July 23, 2019 3:34 PM

Separating children from their parents is wrong. Arresting and detaining American citizens as it has just happened in Texas is wrong. And if you are deluded enough to believe they are only going after Latinos, you'd be wrong. They are going after anyone who "doesn't look like us."

And the ICE goon squads should be disbanded.There is a right way and a wrong way to do things. Putting Trump in the White House is the equivalent of putting a psychopath in charge of nuclear weapons...oh, wait. Obama had a process. He deported more than 3,million illegals. But we never had the shit show we have now.

This entire fiasco is based on White Supremacy, created for Trump by Steve Bannon and Stephen Miller, and it is a political maneuver to energize Trump's base. It is INDEFENSIBLE. So STFU.

by Anonymousreply 90July 23, 2019 3:45 PM

blame Congress for not passing meaningful immigration reform. This problem has been going on for decades before Trump came to DC

by Anonymousreply 91July 23, 2019 3:56 PM

R90 All of these things have to happen sometimes to deport illegal immigrants. It's not going to change.

by Anonymousreply 92July 23, 2019 4:08 PM

some of you maybe surprised, but most Latinos support ICE raids

by Anonymousreply 93July 23, 2019 4:11 PM

The US is actually quite lenient when it comes to illegal immigration. Many other countries think Americans are a bunch of suckers to put up with it.

by Anonymousreply 94July 23, 2019 4:11 PM

they also need to drop birthright citizenship

by Anonymousreply 95July 23, 2019 4:18 PM

Trolls have taken over.

R91, Do not go there.Do not talk to me about Congress. Trump and his Republican enablers controlled Congress for two damned years. WTF didn't they pass Immigration Reform if it was such an urgent problem? Because they'd rather have it as a political issue to wedge and promote.

None of this crap, this ineptness, this incompetence and cruelty was going on before Trump because President, and Obama begged them to create a path for DACA kids but they turned a deaf ear on him. back in 2007, BTW, when a good immigration reform bill was pending, guys like Bernie Sanders voted against it. (He claimed was trying to protect American jobs, but then he voted against the auto industry bailout in 2009.)

The samefuckers who screamed about the AffordableCare act and tried to repeal it more than 50 times had NOTHING to replace it with. They could not find their asseswith both hands.

by Anonymousreply 96July 23, 2019 4:49 PM

I don't think most Americans could really give a shit about these people and wish they'd all just go away.

by Anonymousreply 97July 23, 2019 4:57 PM

Stop feeding the trolls. Block them and move on.

by Anonymousreply 98July 23, 2019 5:04 PM

Yes, everyone who has a different opinion is always a troll.

by Anonymousreply 99July 23, 2019 5:27 PM

^^^ or a Russian

by Anonymousreply 100July 23, 2019 5:30 PM

R88, thanks Boris. I'll keep that advice in mind when I'm helping vote Trump out of office.

by Anonymousreply 101July 23, 2019 9:24 PM

I’m horrified by the children kept in cages and the cruel treatment we have shown so many citizens/illegal immigrants in this country. I also think we need major reform in how immigrants may gain citizenship. I don’t think people should be allowed to come here and stay here illegally. I do think we should be more focused on fixing the system rather than rounding people up though.

by Anonymousreply 102July 23, 2019 9:30 PM

for all the ones saying kids don't belong in cages, where do you suggest we put them? the Holiday Inn?

by Anonymousreply 103July 23, 2019 9:55 PM

R103, a Holiday Inn would be significantly cheaper than the private contractors the administration is using.

More to the point, the Trump administration could either accept the asylum seekers or process them quickly out of US custody by providing funds for enough administrative judges to hear their cases. Trump won't do that, he'd rather waste money holding people in cages.

by Anonymousreply 104July 23, 2019 10:13 PM

[quote] And I don't get the census question thing at all.

First, you have to know what the census gets us.

The more people a state gets, the more reps in the House a state gets. States that lose population (e.g., the North East), lose reps; while states that are growing (e.g., CA, TX) , with respect to the other states, gain reps. If a state loses reps, it could mean two incumbents are pitted against each other. This is how ultra-liberal Rep. Dennis Kucinich lost his seat.

Likewise, the electoral college is composed of reps equal to the number of Congressional Reps. Plus Senators.

Finally, some federal financial support of the States is proportional, based on population.

by Anonymousreply 105July 24, 2019 1:05 AM

[quote] R103: for all the ones saying kids don't belong in cages, where do you suggest we put them? the Holiday Inn?

The approach used before Trump screwed things up worked better.

by Anonymousreply 106July 24, 2019 1:07 AM

And it’s not “cages” alone per se, that is the problem. Its the child abuse. The unfit conditions.

by Anonymousreply 107July 24, 2019 1:10 AM

There are so many people jumping the border, there aren't enough judges or other personnel to deal with all of them in a timely manner.

by Anonymousreply 108July 24, 2019 2:14 AM

R108, if the government paid for judges and personnel—which would cost an unnoticeable amount of money compared to, say, our insanely bloated military budget—this would not be a problem. It is a self-created crisis.

by Anonymousreply 109July 24, 2019 3:01 AM

There aren't enough to meet the demand, r109. There are only so many judges, and they're busy with other things.

by Anonymousreply 110July 24, 2019 3:04 AM

R110, they’re just administrative judges. An infinite number can be created; all that’s necessary is that the person be a lawyer with a certain number of years of basic legal experience. This country is crawling with lawyers who can be immigration judges.

by Anonymousreply 111July 24, 2019 3:08 AM

President Obama sent a lot of people back...he was not really popular amonge migrants but at least he did not torture children and call all the men rapist and drug dealers. God, I hate Trump, he needs to be in prison.

by Anonymousreply 112July 25, 2019 3:44 PM

Bump. Have any of your maids or landscapers gone missing recently?

by Anonymousreply 113July 30, 2019 8:50 AM

Obama enforced the laws while trying to be compassionate about Dreamers, and he didn't separate families and cage people much less children. He and the Dems tried repeatedly to get Immigration reform legislation passed but Ryan blocked them, and of course it was blocked in the Senate too. Obama administration deported more than 3 million people...over 8 years. But the Republicans lie about it and say "Democrats are for open borders..." I hate them all SO much. They always intended to use immigration as a wedge issue. They have been for years. But now we have Trump so they have no "guardrails" no restraints. Except a few judges and a handful of House Dems. It is so obvious that this crisis is manufactured by Trump and his gang of thugs.

by Anonymousreply 114July 30, 2019 10:04 AM

And they’re still happening.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115August 8, 2019 1:14 PM

Why don’t they penalize the businesses that hire undocumented workers? The workers wouldn’t be coming here if they weren’t being hired by exploitative chicken factories and so on.

by Anonymousreply 116August 8, 2019 2:04 PM

Yes! R116.

It is patently absurd to let the employers off scot-free. Fine the shit of 'em!

Oh wait, they must be GOP donors. Silly me.

by Anonymousreply 117August 8, 2019 2:12 PM

There is now evidence that the round up that took place was more than just to catch illegals. These workers were unionizing, and they won a suit that was filed against the a Koch brothers' owned company for sexual harassment and discrimination. So there's a lot going on beneath the surface, but you won't read about it because the fucking news media mainstream media, is busy reporting the latest tweets. I read this from a credible source, but I don't think it made CNN.

by Anonymousreply 118August 8, 2019 2:13 PM

R116, according to the article linked below:

[quote]The companies involved could be charged with knowingly hiring workers who are in the county [sic] illegally and will be scrutinized for tax, document and wage fraud, [ICE Acting Director Michael] Albence said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119August 8, 2019 2:15 PM

Yeah, r119 that "could" is the operative word.

Really means, "We will have to see how much $$$$$ they have donated to conservative causes before we let them off the hook months from now."

by Anonymousreply 120August 8, 2019 2:36 PM

Yeah, let's fine the Koch brothers? Who'll go first? Barr?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121August 8, 2019 2:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!