Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Valerie Harper needs your help.

It looks like our Rhoda's long-running cancer battler is near the end. Her husband has launched a gofundme campaign to help pay for 24/7 care.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600July 16, 2020 2:33 PM

Didn't we hear this before?

by Anonymousreply 1July 12, 2019 11:20 PM

I am pretty sure she died ten years ago.

by Anonymousreply 2July 12, 2019 11:30 PM

Fuck! been sending it to Sandy Duncan the whole time.

by Anonymousreply 3July 12, 2019 11:41 PM

The healthcare system in the US is the worst.

by Anonymousreply 4July 12, 2019 11:42 PM

R3, shit I was sending it to Joey Heatherton.

by Anonymousreply 5July 12, 2019 11:46 PM

What happened to her tiger blood she was always carrying on about? Sure, it's sad that she's HIV+ but all those years of drugs and hookers were always going to catch up with her. You can't fuck a memory!

by Anonymousreply 6July 12, 2019 11:52 PM

Well at least she finally lost some weight.

by Anonymousreply 7July 12, 2019 11:58 PM

She doesn't have insurance? She's in the union!

by Anonymousreply 8July 13, 2019 12:11 AM

I'm going to out live you!!!!

by Anonymousreply 9July 13, 2019 12:23 AM

Medicare doesn’t cover home health care or nursing home care.

by Anonymousreply 10July 13, 2019 12:30 AM

Can't Julie Kavner shell out?

by Anonymousreply 11July 13, 2019 12:34 AM

I'm not sure how I feel or should feel about these 'Go Fund Me' campaigns. And I don't quite understand the finances of famous persons, so I don't know whether Valerie Harper has or should have enough money to weather this storm, so to speak.

Having said all that...there is a $100 donation listed from Lucie Arnaz. One Hundred Dolllars? From Lucie Arnaz? I mean, why bother? I could donate more than that without blinking.

And what really bugs my ass? I live in Provincetown and the tickets for Lucie Arnaz's show up here are $90. So maybe I'll skip the Lucie Arnaz show and donate the $90 fucking dollars to Valerie Harper on top of whatever else I can afford to donate.

I mean, really. Why did Arnaz bother? And why the fuck didn't she donate her measly $100 anonymously?

And why does this bother me so much?

by Anonymousreply 12July 13, 2019 1:13 AM

So often, health care costs exceed what a person's insurance or savings can handle. So Sad.

by Anonymousreply 13July 13, 2019 1:38 AM

I’m sure Lucie is not loaded.

by Anonymousreply 14July 13, 2019 1:41 AM

Really, r14? Didn't she inherit a boatload?

by Anonymousreply 15July 13, 2019 1:54 AM

Well damn.

by Anonymousreply 16July 13, 2019 2:12 AM

I'm not sending that bitch another dime!

by Anonymousreply 17July 13, 2019 2:16 AM

Shoot, I was sending it to the Harper Valley PTA.

by Anonymousreply 18July 13, 2019 2:20 AM

Maybe Susan Dey can donate something.

by Anonymousreply 19July 13, 2019 2:21 AM

GoFundMe's are kinda sad to me.

An old friend died a few weeks back and the family was trying to get her back to cremate her (they're on east coast and she was in TX) and they only raised a few dollars, way short of goal. It must make people feel even more awful than they would have anyway if people won't help you.

by Anonymousreply 20July 13, 2019 2:23 AM

With all her money she didn’t have nursing home/ long term care insurance? You get it while you’re relatively young, I mean in your 50’s and it’s cheap. Less than health Insureance.

by Anonymousreply 21July 13, 2019 2:31 AM

Maybe it was another Lucie Arnaz?

by Anonymousreply 22July 13, 2019 2:40 AM

The Lucie Arnaz show? in Provincetown?

Surely you jest.

Or...oh, I see. Some drag queen is DOING Lucie Arnaz.

Now it makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 23July 13, 2019 2:56 AM

R21, it's been common knowledge for a while now that LTC insurance companies have been going bankrupt. They've been paying out too much to stay profitable these days.

by Anonymousreply 24July 13, 2019 3:01 AM

R21, it's been common knowledge for a while now that LTC insurance companies have been going bankrupt. They've been paying out too much to stay profitable these days.

by Anonymousreply 25July 13, 2019 3:01 AM

If Val has no money she can sign up for Mediciad/Medicare. Then all her health care will be covered 100%.

Elderly who have assets have to spend down their money to pay for their health care. They get to keep their homes and cars and some other things. Then they qualify for Medi-Medi and no longer have to pay anything for care.

I smell something fishy with Val needing money for her healthcare. The only reason for this is that she does not want to use her assets to pay for her health care.

by Anonymousreply 26July 13, 2019 3:17 AM

R26 And this includes nursing home care. Medi Medi will cover Val's nursing home fees if she qualifies for that level of care.

by Anonymousreply 27July 13, 2019 3:19 AM

Oh, please! She and Larry Kramer will bury every one of us, until they're the last two people left on earth.

by Anonymousreply 28July 13, 2019 3:22 AM

Poor gal, I hope Wendy Schaal helps her out

by Anonymousreply 29July 13, 2019 3:32 AM

Rosie O'Donnell good help her.

by Anonymousreply 30July 13, 2019 3:34 AM

Valerie was wonderful in Li'l Abner. Be there for her now. Send money!

R14, who do you think inherited I LOVE LUCY?

by Anonymousreply 31July 13, 2019 3:38 AM

At least she no longer has to lose 10 pounds by 8:30.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 13, 2019 3:47 AM

At this point I'm suspecting she's been pulling a fast one. When was the last time she worked? I imagine she's in need of money...

by Anonymousreply 33July 13, 2019 3:49 AM

Lucie isn't rich. A few years ago she sold off a bunch of her memorabilia on eBay. I was this close to buying her Jazz Singer production jacket.

It went for less than $100, by the way.

The lengthy essay about how much Lucie Arnaz sucks reminds me of the meltdown someone had over whether Susan Dey would release a statement about David Cassidy or not.

by Anonymousreply 34July 13, 2019 3:57 AM

If only Ida were still alive.

Pity.

by Anonymousreply 35July 13, 2019 3:57 AM

This is sad. I wish her well. She was always one of my favorites.

by Anonymousreply 36July 13, 2019 3:59 AM

We had a huge thread about how little Lucie and Desi Jr apparently got from the estate:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 13, 2019 4:00 AM

If she's been fighting cancer all these years then yeah, she's probably broke. Harper clearly had excellent care.

But she'd qualify for Medicaid by now, surely? And have something from the union?

by Anonymousreply 38July 13, 2019 4:02 AM

R37, Lucy died 30 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 39July 13, 2019 4:09 AM

R38 Dawn Wells' friend had gofundme set up for her so she could get into that nursing home/assisted living place that is associated with SAG. IIRC, the friend said that Dawn need some kind of co-payment/down payment to get into the facility. I'm not surprised that Valerie Harper is having financial issues and unions can only do so much in certain situations.

by Anonymousreply 40July 13, 2019 4:13 AM

Gary Morton talked her out of leaving anything for her kids.

by Anonymousreply 41July 13, 2019 4:13 AM

Here's Valerie and Beth Howland in Li'l Abner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42July 13, 2019 4:15 AM

Lucy owned RKO studios and the I LOVE LUCY shows and her children control all that PLUS her likeness and memorabilia and own the shows and the syndication rights and Lucie Arnaz is worth hundreds of millions of dollars from Star Trek alone. Her husband, Todd Lookinland has gambled a lot of her fortune away. Raja Gemini plays Lucie Arnaz in Provincetown. His big number is Nobody Does it Like Me.

Good for her to donate 100 bucks to Valene.

by Anonymousreply 43July 13, 2019 4:15 AM

She's going to be 80 next month. Many people don't even make it to 80. She should consider herself lucky. Sometimes it's best to just let nature take it's course.

by Anonymousreply 44July 13, 2019 4:15 AM

Todd Lookinland?

Larry Luckinbill

by Anonymousreply 45July 13, 2019 4:18 AM

Is it too late for a "Rhoda" reboot?

by Anonymousreply 46July 13, 2019 4:19 AM

I think R40 is correct, plus I'm sure given that Valerie hasn't worked much these last few years, even if she had a few million in the bank at one point in her life, with high medical bills I'm sure all of that has likely been drained away. I also doubt she gets much if anything in the form of residuals from MTM and Rhoda since neither show is seen in reruns today anywhere near as much as they used to be years ago.

by Anonymousreply 47July 13, 2019 4:21 AM

[quote]Can't Julie Kavner shell out?

She didn't get along with Valerie. I doubt she'll donate anything despite being worth millions from The Simpsons.

On a related sidenote, I have noticed a lot of TV stars from past eras have ended up with major financial issues. Melissa Gilbert feuded with Valerie during the SAG elections years ago and she was having major financial issues a few years ago. I bet at this point after hearing about Valerie's struggles, Melissa is probably worrying about her old age years.

by Anonymousreply 48July 13, 2019 4:25 AM

Melissa Gilbert can sell her shitbra on eBay and pocket a small fortune.

by Anonymousreply 49July 13, 2019 4:31 AM

R47 I'm thinking the medical bills probably ate up a big chunk of the fortune she made. Actors have talked about decreases in income when TV show residuals reduce or when TV shows are taken out of syndication. Malcolm-Jamal Warner said he saw decrease in residuals after The Cosby Show was pulled from a couple of basic cable channels.

Christopher Reeve had financial issues after his accident. Robin Williams helped him out with medical bills. Selma Blair has stated in interviews that she worries about money due to her MS. A major accident or illness could fuck up the finances of upper middle class or wealthy people.

by Anonymousreply 50July 13, 2019 4:35 AM

R49, Isn't Sara Gilbert loaded?

by Anonymousreply 51July 13, 2019 4:42 AM

Didn't some stars of 70s shows get lousy syndication residual deals? I remember the cast of Happy Days had legal battles regarding residuals that lasted years. IIRC, the cast of The Waltons never received residuals.

by Anonymousreply 52July 13, 2019 4:42 AM

R52 Yes, but when she got fired from "Valerie's Family," she received $1.4 million and a percentage of the shows profits. So she did well in the 80's.

by Anonymousreply 53July 13, 2019 5:11 AM

Speaking of Guy Lombardo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 13, 2019 5:25 AM

[quote]i smell something fishy with Val needing money for her healthcare. The only reason for this is that she does not want to use her assets to pay for her health care.

Why does she need round the clock care from outsiders when she has a HUSBAND at home? He can do it.

by Anonymousreply 55July 13, 2019 5:38 AM

Is this even a legit gofundme or is someone just using Harper's picture and story? Has anyone close to her authenticated it? Who is Deanna B? She admits there are "questions" but then fails to answer anything. It looks like they pulled generic google images of Harper to promote it. It all looks shady to me.

by Anonymousreply 56July 13, 2019 7:16 AM

[quote]Lucy died 30 years ago.

I know, and I'm not sure why you told me that.

by Anonymousreply 57July 13, 2019 9:19 AM

R43, Lucille Ball sold DesiLu to Paramount back in the 1960s, so no, Lucie and Desi Jr don't get residuals from anything.

Harper didn't get residuals from MTM or Rhoda, no one did back then. Syndication wasn't seen as the gold mine that it was, and once production companies realized how lucrative it was, they were loath to share with actors and held out as long as they could.

by Anonymousreply 58July 13, 2019 9:24 AM

R57, Because any inheritance would have been spent by now.

by Anonymousreply 59July 13, 2019 11:28 AM

One thing is incorrect, almost all these cast members DID RECEIVE residuals. Even shows like Petticoat Junction and Gilligan's Island received residuals. They just did not get them for very long. In most cases they only received money for the first five run throughs or some other small amount.

When some actors say they don't get residuals what they mean is afterwards. Some shows, like Roseanne have a weird system of payment. The actor who played DJ said, he got residuals but they were added to his pay upfront. For example if he was supposed to get $20,000 / year plus a $5,000 in residuals for that year, he got paid out $25,000 right from the go.

So in cases like that you're getting paid but it's not obvious

by Anonymousreply 60July 13, 2019 11:53 AM

I'm not sure how reliable the net worth information is when you Google someone famous. What I found was that Lucy left an estate of $40 million when she died. The current net worth of Desi Jr. is $40 million and Lucy Jr. is $20 million. When is looked up Variarie Harper's net worth it showed she was worth $12 million.

For what its worth, both of my parents died at home after extended illnesses. Since their home was paid for, all it cost was to increase care staff as they needed it. They had insurance for the prescription drugs. Mom died of pancreatic cancer and Dad died of COPD.

by Anonymousreply 61July 13, 2019 11:54 AM

I've seen people like Dawn Wells say in interviews that the residuals for those few episodes were almost nothing. If I recall, when Nick At Nite began, the old TV show stars even said that their appearances at conventions and for interviews and specials after the renewed interest is where they got their money, not from reruns.

People like Dick Van Dyke, Carroll O'Connor and Andy Griffith got lucky with later shows that had a better residuals rate. Harper never got another show after the fiasco, did she?

by Anonymousreply 62July 13, 2019 11:59 AM

There is a difference to ‘residuals’ today as opposed to what actors would get over 30 years ago. In those days they get paid for re-runs on maybe the first few times, but after this they would receive no more money. A lot of the time the actors assumed the TV work would be archived and forgotten after the first year or so.

Things started to change with the advent of video as actors started to notice shows they appeared in were being sold on video cassette. There were a lot of instances where actors could legally stop the release of videos because their original contracts did not feature the term ‘home entertainment’. This meant that original contracts could be renegotiated and they got something. Therefore, DVD and streaming residuals got covered under those renegotiated video contracts. As did licensing. However, some went under the radar. For example, the Happy Days cast only recently settled their claim.

Today, the lead actors get a ‘producer’ credit which means they own a piece of the show. So they will always get paid. Valerie would have seen Mary Tyler Moore had this with MTM but never thought she could ask for a producer credit herself.

Also, the other issue with a lot of these actors is they spent all their money on their lifestyles. Many live in huge homes with staff and travel and have second and even third homes. When the big money stops rolling in, a decade or two goes by and then they discover their outgoings are huge compared to their incomings and they get into financial trouble.

Some were smart. Apparently Kristy McNichol lived a modest life when she was on TV and used her earnings to buy condominiums. By the time she choose to leave Empty Nest she had a healthy monthly income coming in from her properties and 25 years later still does. This is why she was able to leave the entertainment industry and try other things.

by Anonymousreply 63July 13, 2019 12:32 PM

R23

No, it's THE Lucie Arnaz. Not a drag queen.

Maybe someone famous with buckets of money will take care of Valerie Harper's medical bills.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64July 13, 2019 12:45 PM

The union should tax the super rich such as Adam Sandler and Jennifer Anniston. Furthermore, I don't believe Harper is penniless.

by Anonymousreply 65July 13, 2019 1:02 PM

[quote]Medicare doesn’t cover home health care or nursing home care.

Medicare does cover home health care depending on the person's health status and income. It rarely covers round the clock care. A couple of years ago, my cousin's wife started a gofundme to raise money for a second caregiver for my great aunt. At that point, my great aunt was dying. She had been receiving day home care for years through medicare. This great aunt was also verbally abusive to most people in her life and most of her kids either cut off contact or had limited relationships with her. A couple of cousins said she could never keep long term caregivers because she would verbally abuse them and caregivers would tell the agency to remove them from her case. The gofundme set up by the cousin's wife didn't raise anything and she took down after a few weeks.

by Anonymousreply 66July 13, 2019 1:34 PM

Some of you need to get over the idea that everyone who acted in the '70s became incredibly wealthy. It's not remotely true. Many of them who didn't leave the business and go into something more lucrative are struggling, and to answer somebody who asked, NO the celebrity net worth sites are not remotely accurate.

by Anonymousreply 67July 13, 2019 1:36 PM

Both Joyce DeWitt and David Cassidy said they spent all their money, but both also admit, they did not work at all after their shows ended (Cassidy did tour for awhile though, so I assume he meant act).

It depends on your lifestyle, before Sean Astin made "Lord of The Rings," he said he was a working actor who made about $300,000/year.

Obviously that's not chump change but depending on your lifestyle 300K could be nothing.

Sheena Easton invested heavily in Las Vegas real estate in the 80s, which is why she has money. Same thing for Fred MacMurray who owned a lot of Hollywood prime real estate. Both made much more from their investments than their careers.

by Anonymousreply 68July 13, 2019 1:42 PM

The first person to receive a TV residual was Audrey Meadows for "The Honeymooners." Her manager had it added to the contract. Producers assuming the series wouldn't last long, agreed to it, figuring they'd humor the manager.

by Anonymousreply 69July 13, 2019 1:56 PM

Lucie told Howard Stern years ago that her mother left an estate worth $22 million.

by Anonymousreply 70July 13, 2019 2:01 PM

Yes R63! I've never forgotten reading Parker Stevenon's application for spousal support from Kirstie Alley. The properties, the staff, the cars, the yachts, the planes, the horses - now she did pretty damn well for a few years, but still ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71July 13, 2019 2:03 PM

I read that Lucie said, her mother dispersed the bulk of her estate to Gary, Desi Jr and her, while she was still alive.

by Anonymousreply 72July 13, 2019 2:07 PM

[quote]I've seen people like Dawn Wells say in interviews that the residuals for those few episodes were almost nothing. If I recall, when Nick At Nite began, the old TV show stars even said that their appearances at conventions and for interviews and specials after the renewed interest is where they got their money, not from reruns.

I can't remember if it was Dawn or another Gilligan's Island cast member who said that Sherwood Schwartz screwed them over when it came to residuals.

by Anonymousreply 73July 13, 2019 2:17 PM

I think we should collect a group gift and have it listed as ‘Your Friends at the DL’.

She has been the subject of many threads here and I think a donation is fitting.

And then if she doesn’t die we can all get together and start a class action suit against Go Fund Me. This could literally be the gift that keeps on giving.

by Anonymousreply 74July 13, 2019 2:24 PM

I’ll contribute to that, but how do we do that?

by Anonymousreply 75July 13, 2019 2:34 PM

R63, Yes that’s exactly why most of them end up with serious money problems eventually.

With the Kristy McNichol example, she was probably making $50k an episode from Empty Nest. Taking home maybe $22k an episode after taxes and agents fees. If she was living a reasonably simple life and investing her earnings in property, she’s now likely earning a real good amount every month without needing to work.

But most sit com actors of that era used their earnings to finance huge homes for themselves and started living the lives of the super rich. That hits hard after the money stops coming in.

by Anonymousreply 76July 13, 2019 2:36 PM

Maybe, this year she'll make into the In Memoriam slideshow at the Emmys.

by Anonymousreply 77July 13, 2019 2:37 PM

[quote] I'm not sure how I feel or should feel about these 'Go Fund Me' campaigns. And I don't quite understand the finances of famous persons, so I don't know whether Valerie Harper has or should have enough money to weather this storm, so to speak.

As long as she's been battling cancer he resources could be completely depleted. She was i ultra-rich. Please dig deep and give to Rhoda.

by Anonymousreply 78July 13, 2019 2:39 PM

There are some actors in a recent years who have talked about living frugal lifestyles. Teri Hatcher said she wasn't into buying new cars every few years and that she saves up a lot of money. I can't remember which actress said that she coupons and that people think she is crazy for doing so. The actors who live modest lifestyles will be glad they lived modestly when health issues or old age hits.

by Anonymousreply 79July 13, 2019 2:50 PM

No one wants to end up like Lainie Kazan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80July 13, 2019 2:55 PM

I went to the Lucie Arnaz Show and it was DREADFUL. Believe it or not, she also included a segment in which she banged on drums allegedly as a homage to her Cuban heritage. W T F ? I certainly didn't expect nor want that. Tell us about your mean alcoholic mother and how you've been reduced to playing dinner theater. Untalented wench !!!

by Anonymousreply 81July 13, 2019 3:07 PM

Lots of actors think the $$$ will keep rolling in, but then their show ends or their movie career slows down and the gravy train just stops. Like others have said, the smart ones live at a more upper middle-class level instead of a wealthy level so they don't go broke.

by Anonymousreply 82July 13, 2019 3:23 PM

R71 I have no respect anymore for whiny Parker Stevenson and cash cow Kristie Alley.

by Anonymousreply 83July 13, 2019 3:58 PM

[quote]r74 I think we should collect a group gift and have it listed as ‘Your Friends at the DL’.

Wait . . . this would be [italic]above and beyond [/italic]our regular $1.50 a month memberships??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84July 13, 2019 4:03 PM

Cloris Leachman invested her Lassie money in Clorox Bleach, named after her and made a killing.

by Anonymousreply 85July 13, 2019 4:08 PM

r71 Thank you, that was a fantastic read.

by Anonymousreply 86July 13, 2019 4:08 PM

Desi Arnaz had a massive gambling addiction as well as a massive problem with alcohol and pissed through a ton of his money. It's likely that there wasn't much left for Lucie and Desi Jr. to inherit. When Desi died, he was living in a small house in Malibu.

by Anonymousreply 87July 13, 2019 4:13 PM

Lucy steeled all me pesos

by Anonymousreply 88July 13, 2019 4:14 PM

I don't have the cash right now, but the room I previously offered to Dawn Wells when she was almost homeless, is still available. I was thinking it might even be fun to decorate it like Rhoda's upstairs apartment on MTM.

by Anonymousreply 89July 13, 2019 4:15 PM

Desi died in Del Mar R87.

by Anonymousreply 90July 13, 2019 4:18 PM

Why hasn't Arlene Golonka donated?

by Anonymousreply 91July 13, 2019 4:27 PM

Can't Liz Torres, Valerie's co-star from the 1990 hit CBS series, CITY, help out a friend???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92July 13, 2019 4:35 PM

Somebody mentioned Kirstie Alley. She spent money like a drunken sailor during Cheers. I wonder what her finances are like today, she hasn't worked in ages.

by Anonymousreply 93July 13, 2019 4:37 PM

Only last week, Kirstie starred in an episode of To Tell The Truth! So there's that.

by Anonymousreply 94July 13, 2019 4:40 PM

I feel deeply for my dear friend Val and to help her out, I will auction off a head/shoulder-pivot birthday video for a fan and I will donate 50% of the proceeds (after expenses) to her GoFundMe.

People don't know the good I do.

by Anonymousreply 95July 13, 2019 4:42 PM

The Lucie Arnaz meltdown is one of the reasons I love the DL. She probably only donated $100 to be passive-aggressive.

by Anonymousreply 96July 13, 2019 4:44 PM

What could be shadier than Luice Arnaz low-balling Val Harper's around-the-clock home hospice care? That bitch is colder than Susan Dey's best wishes!

by Anonymousreply 97July 13, 2019 4:47 PM

Her mother was notoriously cheap too.

by Anonymousreply 98July 13, 2019 5:13 PM

[quote]Medicare doesn’t cover home health care or nursing home care.

The Actors Fund owns and runs two very well respected nursing home/assisted living facilities. One is in Woodland Hills CA, and the other in Englewood NJ. Valerie more than qualifies for care in either of those with her Medicare + SAG insurance (also under her Equity Health Plan) plus whatever extra she MIGHT have to chip in. I see no need why someone of means who has been a working professional for 60 years would require a GoFundMe campaign!

That being said....Poor Valerie!

by Anonymousreply 99July 13, 2019 5:13 PM

Didn't Lucie sell the rights to Star Trek and Indiana Jones soon after her mother died?

by Anonymousreply 100July 13, 2019 5:15 PM

God forbid some of these actors get a job a few years after their gravy train ends. I can see coasting for a few years but after that? Got to bring home the bacon like everyone else.

When Alberta Hunter's cabaret income dried up she went to nursing school and worked a few decades. Then she retired and started to sing again in the 80's in NY, to much notice, as everyone had forgotten her talent.

by Anonymousreply 101July 13, 2019 5:17 PM

R95 is why I LOVE the DataLounge! No one else in the world would get this.

[quote]I feel deeply for my dear friend Val and to help her out, I will auction off a head/shoulder-pivot birthday video for a fan and I will donate 50% of the proceeds (after expenses) to her GoFundMe.

[quote]People don't know the good I do.

[quote]—Barrie Youngfellow, vaguely dizzy

by Anonymousreply 102July 13, 2019 5:19 PM

[quote]Didn't Lucie sell the rights to Star Trek and Indiana Jones soon after her mother died?

Lucy and Desi gave up the rights to Star Trek when they sold Desilu to Paramount in '68. They never saw another dime from Star Trek, but of course no one could've known what an insane cash cow Star Trek would later become. They never had anything to do with Indiana Jones. That was Lucas and Spielberg.

by Anonymousreply 103July 13, 2019 5:22 PM

I got the Barrie Youngfellow reference, but who the fuck is Alberta Hunter?

by Anonymousreply 104July 13, 2019 5:24 PM

Hisssss!

by Anonymousreply 105July 13, 2019 5:26 PM

Lucie Arnaz may not be as well off as you'd think. A few years ago, she and her husband sold their spacious estate in Connecticut and moved into a condo in Palm Springs. I'm sure it is a nice condo, but still ...

by Anonymousreply 106July 13, 2019 5:29 PM

Alberta Hunter played Jackee on 227.

by Anonymousreply 107July 13, 2019 5:30 PM

Larry Luckinbill is 84 years old. If the kids don't want the estate, it's high to sell it and move into a nice condo.

by Anonymousreply 108July 13, 2019 5:32 PM

[quote]I can't remember if it was Dawn or another Gilligan's Island cast member who said that Sherwood Schwartz screwed them over when it came to residuals.

I read that Dawn was actually the ONLY cast member whose manager pre-negotiated a residuals deal. It wasn't for much, but it required that she be paid every time a "Gilligan" episode aired anywhere. The usual pittance used to end after a few reruns, but Dawn was said to have at least done better than ANY of her fellow castaways.

Sherwood Schwartz didn't "screw" anybody out of anything, it's just that the usage (residual) system today does offer actors more income then it did decades ago. Still, every time the contracts are renegotiated with producers the cut off year creeps up. Currently no tv shows made earlier than the mid 70s are responsible for paying residuals to actors, so almost all of Valerie's tv career generates no income any longer. She's been working for over sixty years!

by Anonymousreply 109July 13, 2019 5:32 PM

Send in your gay cards, Cro-Magnon DLers.

Here's just some of the things he does:

He shakes my ashes, greases my griddle,

Churns my butter, strokes my fiddle;

My man is such a handy man!

He threads my needle, creams my wheat,

Heats my heater, chops my meat;

My man is such a handy man!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110July 13, 2019 5:34 PM

[quote]Only last week, Kirstie starred in an episode of To Tell The Truth! So there's that.

She also did the final UK series of Celebrity Big Brother last summer. If they have another US CBB, I wouldn't be surprised to see her do that one too.

by Anonymousreply 111July 13, 2019 5:44 PM

Cross over, Valerie...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112July 13, 2019 5:44 PM

[quote]who has been a working professional for 60 years

[quote]She’s been working for over sixty years!

The bitch is an actress. That’s hardly “work.” Let’s talk to some people right here on DL who probably make 1/10th of what she made in their entire lifetime if she really “worked” for 60 years.

She wasn’t battling oil rig fires or saving the lives of indigents FFS.

by Anonymousreply 113July 13, 2019 5:46 PM

[quote]If they have another US CBB, I wouldn't be surprised to see her do that one too.

I would be.

by Anonymousreply 114July 13, 2019 5:46 PM

I was that little brain tumor, Mr. Biden.

by Anonymousreply 115July 13, 2019 5:48 PM

Oh, ok r113. Nobody whoisn't an EMT does any real work.

You sound deranged.

by Anonymousreply 116July 13, 2019 5:51 PM

I'm sure Lucie Arnaz inherited a shit load - but it's all in trust, she has just enough cash to live in the manner she's become accustomed.

What is with these people who have no home health aide insurance? A celebrity should, her union would advise it long before it's needed. My mother had 24/7 home heath aides the last two years of her life. Insurance paid half, her portion was approx $6K a month.

by Anonymousreply 117July 13, 2019 5:56 PM

I knew someone would have to go there, r116. Evidently you’ve never heard of a term called “examples for representation.”

I never said only EMTs work, (in fact, EMTs don’t fight oil rig fires, either). I’m referring to these rich assholes who never did a days work in their whole life, yet lived in the lap of luxury that people who really work (like me and, I’m presuming even you) can only dream about. Yet they go on the internet begging for money from, guess who. Other billionaires? No. Other millionaires? No. Hell, even other actors? Uh-uh. Working people, that’s who.

Idiots who probably can’t afford to send money, but do, because they “loved her character on that show,” or “she’s a great actress,” or some such bullshit. As if she would’ve given a red penny to help you with your medical bills.

by Anonymousreply 118July 13, 2019 6:04 PM

I'm sure she was paid a lot for the "Mary And Rhoda" reunion movie in 2000, right?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119July 13, 2019 6:08 PM

You're wrong about everthing you wrote, R118. You've got a big chip on your shoulder and you're wrong.

First, you obviously have no idea how much physical labor is involved in what Valerie Harper has done over the decades. It's not my job to explain it to you and I'm not going to try. The work is very physical and it can be exhausting. You go figure out how.

In the case of Valerie Harper, she is one of the most well liked people in the business. She is dead serious about her work and takes a personal interest in those with whom she works. Not just the co-stars, but the entire company. Within the business, she is famous for this. And there is no way to calculate all the time she has gifted to one worthy cause or another.

Your whole argument is lacking and you applied it to the wrong person.

by Anonymousreply 120July 13, 2019 6:12 PM

Hard to believe she doesn't have any funds left. If this happened to her, I would really be screwed.

by Anonymousreply 121July 13, 2019 6:15 PM

[quote]First, you obviously have no idea how much physical labor is involved in what Valerie Harper has done over the decades. It's not my job to explain it to you and I'm not going to try. The work is very physical and it can be exhausting.

Yeah, you’re right, it’s probably something I could never get used to. All that physical work.

by Anonymousreply 122July 13, 2019 6:21 PM

I believe she is in the very final stages of life and probably requires round the clock nursing. She might be in a morphine induced coma. Homecare can't provide that kind of support. Obviously after having survived for six years past her diagnosis, she and her husband want her to die at home.

A great deal of training, hard work and rejection goes into having a career like Harpers. She was a dancer and they don't do it for money. She struggled for years before the MTM show and didn't work that much after Valerie's Family. Why would anyone expect her to be rich more than 30 years later?

I'm not sure that GoFundMe is real though. It's very poorly presented. Why didn't her husband or agent do it instead?

by Anonymousreply 123July 13, 2019 6:25 PM

[quote]Why would anyone expect her to be rich more than 30 years later?

My guess is because she made more in one episode than most families made in a year, so the thinking is, “what did she do with all that money?”

by Anonymousreply 124July 13, 2019 6:28 PM

^ There's something wrong with you hon. Men are created equal, money is not. Why pick on Valerie Harper of all people?

by Anonymousreply 125July 13, 2019 6:31 PM

r124 as has been explained, tv actors didn't make the huge salaries back then. That didn't start happening until well into the 90s. Also, living in LA or NY ain't cheap and that costs a lot of money.

by Anonymousreply 126July 13, 2019 6:31 PM

Back in the 70's actors were not paid what they are today. On top of that you take out taxes and agents fees and they are lucky if they get 50%.

by Anonymousreply 127July 13, 2019 6:32 PM

Don’t forget all the blowjobs, r127 - those are opportunity costed for our example.

by Anonymousreply 128July 13, 2019 6:34 PM

Only on DL could a thread on Valerie Harper's health turn into a in depth discussion on the finances of Lucie Arnaz..

by Anonymousreply 129July 13, 2019 6:36 PM

r129 this is why I love DL. Thread can take the oddest turns.

Of course, Dlers can turn any thread into a discussion about Lucille Ball in one way or another.

by Anonymousreply 130July 13, 2019 6:39 PM

[quote] Elderly who have assets have to spend down their money to pay for their health care. They get to keep their homes and cars and some other things. Then they qualify for Medi-Medi and no longer have to pay anything for care. I smell something fishy with Val needing money for her healthcare. The only reason for this is that she does not want to use her assets to pay for her health care.

They most certainly do NOT get to keep their homes and cars. My mother was perilously close to having to go on Medicaid last year because she had to go into a nursing home and her Medicare and supplemental insurance only lasted a certain amount of days for the facility. We were being pushed into applying for Medicaid for her from the get go and were told we would have to put her house up for sale. The house was completely under water (which we could prove), but they said we still had to do it. I wouldn't have cared, but her partner was still living in it (and the house was in my mother's name). They also told us we would have to surrender any life insurance policies with cash value attached to them. And the law now is 5 years for transfer of assets, so we would not have been able to move the house over into someone else's name quickly.

She wound up going from nursing home to hospice care, and the hospice care her insurance covered was only a few weeks. Now I know the rules and laws vary between states because in California, you get six months of hospice care. She died about a week before her hospice care coverage was going to run out, but we were scrambling to figure out other alternatives. We were considering bringing her home and getting part time care and having her partner take care of her the rest of the time. Medicare would have only covered a very few hours per week of a home health aide.

Now I can't speak to why Valerie's insurance isn't covering hospice care if California gives you 6 months. It may be they cover the facility and not an individual, and Valerie wants to stay home. But if she were to go on Medicaid, and anything of value was in her name, she'd have to get rid of it. I don't know what the time frame in CA is for transfer of property, but you would think that after the first scare, she'd have taken care of all that and put the property into someone else's name. I really don't know, but what I do know is that there are ALWAYS complications and restrictions and unless you're a multi-millionaire, you're not going to be able to pay for long term care out of pocket.

by Anonymousreply 131July 13, 2019 6:45 PM

Since when do Julie and Valerie not get along?

Valerie went to the premiere of Julie's starring role movie in the 90's and they took pictures together on the red carpet. Harper guest appeared on The Simpsons.

by Anonymousreply 132July 13, 2019 6:49 PM

I've already got my own elderly relatives to help. If someone like Valerie Harper can't afford care I don't know how us plebs are supposed to do it.

by Anonymousreply 133July 13, 2019 6:49 PM

If Lucie Arnaz were really about that life, she'd donate one plump pillow.

by Anonymousreply 134July 13, 2019 6:53 PM

Toyah Willcox can stage a benefit concert for Valerie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135July 13, 2019 6:56 PM

You’re right, r127, but only in today’s dollars. When Rhoda kicked off in 1974, Harper was earning $25,000 per week and a percentage in the series, according to a People article from the time. Taking into account when they say “per week” they’re probably referring to per episode, we’ll say she earned $625,000 since there were 25 episodes in season 1. That’s the equivalent of $3.4M in today’s money.

By comparison, the average YEARLY income in 1974 was $12,000 to $13,000.

And people can’t wonder why she’s broke?

by Anonymousreply 136July 13, 2019 6:59 PM

Miller trust n NYS:

"Sometimes referred to as Qualifying Income Trusts, Qualified Income Trusts, or Miller Trusts (based upon a court case with the same name), they are used when a Medicaid applicant has too much income to qualify for Medicaid but not enough to pay for nursing home care or other long-term care costs."

by Anonymousreply 137July 13, 2019 7:00 PM

Valerie's husband should divorce her.

by Anonymousreply 138July 13, 2019 7:01 PM

[quote]If someone like Valerie Harper can't afford care I don't know how us plebs are supposed to do it.

Isn’t that some scary shit?

by Anonymousreply 139July 13, 2019 7:03 PM

I'm counting out coins from my penny jar using my one good eye. If I can help Valerie, so can you bitches.

by Anonymousreply 140July 13, 2019 7:15 PM

So last year around January, I saw about 10 scripts for the TV show Rhoda for sale on ebay. They were signed by Valerie and were her working scripts, with her notes in them. I'm a huge fan and I bought one. Turns out, her daughter was selling them on her behalf for medical costs. We had several email exchanges and she couldn't have been more lovely. I made a video thanking Valerie for all that she contributed to my life as a kid, Rhoda was a role model to me- anyway, I was shocked when I got a letter back from Valerie thanking me. They are really good people and I'm so sad for her, she's likely at home in a hospice setting.

by Anonymousreply 141July 13, 2019 7:19 PM

You are absolutely right, R130. But it should be noted that Lucy was unfairly maligned for her work in MAME. Sure, there were problems, but none with her work. After such grave injustice, it is to be expected that people would stand up for this comedic icon.

by Anonymousreply 142July 13, 2019 7:20 PM

The American Film Institute ranked MAME at #1 on their list of Greatest Horror Films.

by Anonymousreply 143July 13, 2019 7:22 PM

Warn a girl R3, now I have beer on my phone.

by Anonymousreply 144July 13, 2019 7:27 PM

Somebody should set up a GoFundMe parody account to get Sandy Duncan a new glass eye.

by Anonymousreply 145July 13, 2019 7:29 PM

Sandy Duncan doesn't have a glass eye.

by Anonymousreply 146July 13, 2019 7:37 PM

Great story, r141.

by Anonymousreply 147July 13, 2019 7:38 PM

Yes, Sandy Duncan's glass eye is long gone. In a yard sale.

by Anonymousreply 148July 13, 2019 7:41 PM

R141, how much were the scripts going for?

by Anonymousreply 149July 13, 2019 7:50 PM

My late mother was terrified of being bedridden and requiring constant care. She was adamantly DNR, would rather be dead than dependent on care and would rather see us get her money than some home health agency. Fortunately she died suddenly of a heart attack. No suffering, no slow drain of her funds.

That’s how I want to go, too. I’d rather be dead than see my family begging for funds to keep me vegetatively alive. Fuck that.

by Anonymousreply 150July 13, 2019 7:57 PM

Everybody wants that R150. But it's not what most people get.

by Anonymousreply 151July 13, 2019 8:00 PM

I actually pitched a show with her a few years back. It was sort of like what Cool Kids ended up being. She was lovely.

by Anonymousreply 152July 13, 2019 8:03 PM

Too bad Jason Bateman won't help her.

by Anonymousreply 153July 13, 2019 8:03 PM

Health is so precarious and health costs are criminal.

I'm sorry my silly comments about the Arnaz donation stole time and space from Valerie Harper.

by Anonymousreply 154July 13, 2019 8:04 PM

Desi was an in-demand producer and director after ILL!

He made a ton of money off of show's like new DL Fave, 'The Mothers=In-Law.'

Desi, Jr. looks so cute in this MIL clip from 1967.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155July 13, 2019 8:09 PM

Didn't The Kaye Ballard Programme only last for two seasons?

by Anonymousreply 156July 13, 2019 8:15 PM

Yes, but as Producer and the main Director, Desi made a lot of money off of Kaye and her cohorts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157July 13, 2019 8:19 PM

She can always do Dancing with the Stars again and win some money.

by Anonymousreply 158July 13, 2019 8:20 PM

[quote] Teri Hatcher said she wasn't into buying new cars every few years and that she saves up a lot of money.

Teri Hatcher was on the Wendy Williams Show. IIRC, WW said that TH had no agent and that when the WW Show called TH to book her, TH answered her own phone, had no agent, etc. That means she cuts out the middle man and doesn't have to pay a %age of money to an agent.

by Anonymousreply 159July 13, 2019 8:48 PM

I'm not sure how to respond to specific comments, but to the person who asked above, the ending bid was $150. It's really a cool piece of ephemera. I've watched the episode it went with and read along with the script. It's especially neat to see what she added to sound "more Rhoda". Also places where she crossed out certain movements she should make and changing them around. It was a great purchase for a fan like me.

by Anonymousreply 160July 13, 2019 8:52 PM

Were they autographed by any cast members?

Rue McClanahan had a ton of her scripts, even for shows she guest starred on. When they had that Rue restaurant in NYC, they were all on display. The guest star scripts all had messages and names on them. Nell Carter, Linda Lavin, Bob Newhart, even Faye Dunaway.

by Anonymousreply 161July 13, 2019 9:27 PM

[quote] He made a ton of money off of show's like new DL Fave, 'The Mothers=In-Law.'

He hardly made a ton of money off the MIL. NBC was very tight with a buck and in order for the show to come back for a 2nd season, as its ratings weren't all that great, the cast and crew all had to take some salary cuts.. Roger C. Carmel refused and wanted a raise. The rest of the cast came to him and begged him to go along but he refused, so Desi fired him and hired DL fave Richard Deacon to replace him. The show was canceled after Season 2.

by Anonymousreply 162July 13, 2019 9:32 PM

No, the scripts were just signed by her. Oh! I forgot, there were cute little drawings in it too!

by Anonymousreply 163July 13, 2019 9:36 PM

It doesn't look like they raised too much.

by Anonymousreply 164July 13, 2019 9:46 PM

Yeah, she needs to start a Chatubate account.

by Anonymousreply 165July 13, 2019 9:58 PM

When did Faye Dunaway guest on the Golden Girls?

by Anonymousreply 166July 13, 2019 11:06 PM

Betty White could easily kick in a couple hundred grand. What's she going to do with it?

by Anonymousreply 167July 13, 2019 11:29 PM

Isn't Betty one of those animal people? Her money is earmarked for Fido.

by Anonymousreply 168July 13, 2019 11:31 PM

Nobody likes Betty. She hasn't any friends in show business. Millions of fans don't know what a self centered fake ass cold woman she is. She plays the modesty game well. Cloris Leachman is a much more generous woman than Betty, even if she is nuts.

by Anonymousreply 169July 13, 2019 11:34 PM

I want a joint interview between Betty White & Quincy Jones before they both croak. We need more Golden Age outings!

by Anonymousreply 170July 13, 2019 11:39 PM

Oh please. Cloris is a hateful cunt.

by Anonymousreply 171July 13, 2019 11:54 PM

She should go on tour showing people how to tie head scarves correctly

by Anonymousreply 173July 13, 2019 11:59 PM

[quote]Harper guest appeared on The Simpsons.

But not as herself, just as bit players, how humiliating for her. Kavner obviously did that on purpose, throwing a dog a bone and making it grovel for it.

by Anonymousreply 174July 14, 2019 12:00 AM

^ That's how you keep up your SAG card and benefits, plus the guest star cash. Maintain some dignity and utilize your talent. It was a caring gesture, not a bone. Some pretty small minded people here on DL. SMH.

by Anonymousreply 175July 14, 2019 12:21 AM

r175

No, Kavner could've said, "give her a good part." But Kavner being the jerk she is said, "Make sure it's only a little part, so it'll be humiliating for her. It would be like giving Bette Davis the part as Natalie's grandmother on the "Facts of Life."

by Anonymousreply 176July 14, 2019 12:30 AM

Bette Davis lowered herself many, many - manymanymany - times over her career.

by Anonymousreply 177July 14, 2019 12:33 AM

Why are we shitting Shiva on Natalie's grandmother?

by Anonymousreply 178July 14, 2019 12:39 AM

But Parker has a big wiener.

by Anonymousreply 179July 14, 2019 12:55 AM

Right, R176. Give the sick woman a big part so she has to work her ass off before she gets paid.

The only thing bitches more than an actor without a job is an actor with a job. A nice pay check for an easy one-day gig is the absolute show business pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Lots of people have done cameos on The Simpsons. No shame there. Just read your lines and accept your pay. An actor's dream.

by Anonymousreply 180July 14, 2019 1:04 AM

This should be a bigger news story.

by Anonymousreply 181July 14, 2019 3:03 AM

R181 Maybe, next week we will see more news outlets reporting on this.

I wonder if some of her celeb friends have made donations directly to her husband instead of the gofundme route.

by Anonymousreply 182July 14, 2019 3:13 AM

I bet they have.

by Anonymousreply 183July 14, 2019 3:23 AM

I bet they have.

by Anonymousreply 184July 14, 2019 3:23 AM

R180

A cameo is when the actor plays themselves. Julie is just a mean bitch

by Anonymousreply 185July 14, 2019 3:52 AM

R177

Not that low, besides no part that Bette did was degrading, because if she did it, it was great, irregardless

by Anonymousreply 186July 14, 2019 3:54 AM

If somebody were to donate her $5,000, but left a message with it that said, "You should have been dead five years ago," would it be an act of kindness or cruelty?

by Anonymousreply 187July 14, 2019 3:58 AM

Bette Davis took shit parts because her useless daughter and son-in-law refused to work and Bette supported them lock, stock and barrel. If she'd told them both to fuck off and get jobs, she would've been much better off financially.

by Anonymousreply 188July 14, 2019 3:58 AM

Bette Davis could not give up the limelight. As harsh as it was to her.

by Anonymousreply 189July 14, 2019 4:00 AM

Shut up, R185. You are too dumb to be so bossy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190July 14, 2019 4:00 AM

My parents had good insurance. My father battled cancer for a long time. He went to chemo in the years near his retirement. He went into remission. It came back eventually and he was taking lots of toxic drugs. I was home to visit and he was going to the hospital for the final run to death. Hospital then hospice then death. When we got to the hospital we had a long wait as his room was not ready. He begged me to take him to the bridge nearby, a very high bridge, so he could jump into the river and and die. I figured he had a right to that. I said I understood and if it were he and I alone I would take him over there by my siblings and mom (his wife) would never understand nor would they forgive me, and it was probably criminal.

I hope if I get into one of these situations, I have the wits and strength to kill myself alone, with no help and without leaving much of a mess physically or administratively.

by Anonymousreply 191July 14, 2019 4:22 AM

We've segued to Bette Davis? You queens are so predictable! What's next? Debating whether or not Joan Crawford deserved her Oscar for Mildred Pierce? Whether or not Angela Lansbury should have replaced Lucy in Mame? Whether or not Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy were bearding for each other? Whether or not Bea Arthur really took a shit in Betty White's dressing room?

by Anonymousreply 192July 14, 2019 4:25 AM

I was molested.

by Anonymousreply 193July 14, 2019 4:26 AM

r192 please be patient. Those topics will come up soon.

by Anonymousreply 194July 14, 2019 5:04 AM

Valerie should move into a small cozy apartment, like this one:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195July 14, 2019 5:09 AM

Whoever thought Betty White would outlive almost everyone?

by Anonymousreply 196July 14, 2019 5:14 AM

For the Cloris Leachman posters. I waited on her TONS of times from 2000-2001. Her daughter regularly played music at the bar I worked at. Cloris was amazing!! A total weirdo in the best possible way. We all loved her.

by Anonymousreply 197July 14, 2019 5:34 AM

[quote]Sandy Duncan doesn't have a glass eye.

Damn straight. She lost in that god-damned wheat field.

by Anonymousreply 198July 14, 2019 5:46 AM

[quote]But not as herself, just as bit players, how humiliating for her. Kavner obviously did that on purpose, throwing a dog a bone and making it grovel for it.

Why are you SUCH a PSYCHO creating an IMAGINARY FEUD between Julie Kavner and Valerie??!

People with a crystal ball who KNOW for certain what people they've NEVER met are SECRETLY thinking are the creepiest brand of frau EVER!

I imagine we are all lucky this thread hasn't morphed into why Mamie Eisenhower wore bangs, or who really killed River Phoenix, but the night is young!

by Anonymousreply 199July 14, 2019 5:59 AM

Mamie Eisenhower wore bangs because she had a very high forehead. Seriously, that was the ugliest fucking hairstyle. It's odd that she never wigs instead. Some well-made wigs would've been an improvement over her real hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200July 14, 2019 6:02 AM

Whoever imagined that Julie Kavner would become fabulously wealthy?

by Anonymousreply 201July 14, 2019 6:28 AM

[quote]R142 it should be noted that Lucy was unfairly maligned for her work in MAME. Sure, there were problems, but none with her work.

????

Aside from the fact she SUCKED ASS in it??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202July 14, 2019 6:31 AM

I love this web series, MUSICAL HELL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203July 14, 2019 6:37 AM

The gofundme isn't doing well. I think a lot of people have a hinky feeling about it. I certainly do. Though if it wasn't legit, I highly doubt Roger Friedman would have publicized it in the first place, or at least would now be retracting his initial support. I don't see any signs that her husband is behind it as we were originally told. Maybe he's too busy taking care of her, and he doesn't even know this is going on. Whatever, it just doesn't pass the sniff test.

I want to believe that her friends and peers in the business are lending a hand, and doing so off of the radar.

As many have noted here, if this can happen to her...how fucked are we?

by Anonymousreply 204July 14, 2019 6:45 AM

Julie Kavner is a bitch. She won't do Marge, because she used to charge people to do it. The greedy bitch. Then someone pointed out that Marge sounds exactly like Julie in real life, so she quit doing it all together.

Julie isn't even grateful to Tracey Ullman, and she should be on her knees kissing Tracey's ass. She would be nothing without Tracey and more of a nothing without Valerie.

Giving Valerie a part on "the Simpsons" is not exhausting. Mel Blanc was in a major car accident that left him almost totally paralyzed. His insurance company refused to pay out at first, because they said, he could still work. Indeed there are lots of pictures of him totally immobile surrounded by the other cast members of the Flintstones doing the show. Even if Valerie is wiped out by the treatments she could do more than a token part.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205July 14, 2019 8:25 AM

Julie Kavner died almost 4 years ago. She doesn't "do" Marge anymore. She is dead. She could hardly be expected to get Valerie Harper a job on The Simpsons at any time. But now that Julie is dead, we can forgive her for not giving the almost dead Valerie a starring voice over role on The Simpsons. RIP Julie. Godspeed Valerie.

by Anonymousreply 206July 14, 2019 9:06 AM

R206, Julie is alive and well. She sends her love.

by Anonymousreply 207July 14, 2019 10:27 AM

Rhoda fan, can you send an email to Valerie's daughter and gently inquire as to whether the GoFundMe is legit?

by Anonymousreply 208July 14, 2019 10:48 AM

R202, be gone! The iiot boy in that inane video is an expert on nothing. He offers nothing but shallow, uninformed, personal opinion.

The problem with the movie MAME lies primarily with the producer who hired Paul Zindel to write the script. Lucy didn't get the same script that Roz Russell had or that Angela Lansbury had. Paul Zindel is a playwright with one success, "The Effrect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds." It is a small play with a small cast and it is a heavily dramatic piece. But his success came in the early 1970s when MAME was being made and the studio wanted an important writer for its big musical.

Sadly, Zindel didn't have a clue what to do with a musical. If Roz Russell or La Lansbury got the dialogue given to Lucy, they would have been as weighted down by it as she was. Why an experienced producer like Lucille Ball didn't throw the goddamned script back at the studio bosses, we will never know. She should have seen the problem and she had enough clout to get it fixed.

The idiot boy in the spurious video hasn't a clue. You should hang your head in shame for promoting that goddamned thing.

by Anonymousreply 209July 14, 2019 12:59 PM

[quote]I hope if I get into one of these situations, I have the wits and strength to kill myself alone,

We'll help you out with that, not to worry.

[quote]and without leaving much of a mess physically

This we cannot promise.

by Anonymousreply 210July 14, 2019 1:08 PM

[quote]at the bar I worked at.

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 211July 14, 2019 1:09 PM

[Quote] Why an experienced producer like Lucille Ball didn't throw the goddamned script back at the studio bosses, we will never know. She should have seen the problem and she had enough clout to get it fixed.

So it was Lucy's fault. Gotcha.

by Anonymousreply 212July 14, 2019 2:12 PM

Where is Marge Champion in all of this?

by Anonymousreply 213July 14, 2019 3:34 PM

Marge Champion will be 100 in September!

by Anonymousreply 214July 14, 2019 4:23 PM

What age would Helen Wood be in September?

by Anonymousreply 215July 14, 2019 4:26 PM

Very surprising that Helen Lawson has yet to donate to Val's GFMP.

by Anonymousreply 216July 14, 2019 4:31 PM

Actually, Zindel's script was the only one approved by Lucille.

by Anonymousreply 217July 14, 2019 4:32 PM

Have any of you watched "I Love Lucy" lately? It really does not hold up. It is not funny at all. Even "Rhoda" holds up better since it so vividly captures a 70s urban ambience.

by Anonymousreply 218July 14, 2019 6:28 PM

Looks ans sounds like she could star in The Walking Dead

by Anonymousreply 219July 14, 2019 6:37 PM

Djokovic wins.

I want to give him a tongue bath

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220July 14, 2019 6:44 PM

[quote]r209 The iiot [sic] boy in that inane video is an expert on nothing. He offers nothing but shallow, uninformed, personal opinion....You should hang your head in shame for promoting that goddamned thing.

He serves up clips citing where Ball can't sing, dance, or deliniate acting choices.

Yeah, he offers nothing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221July 14, 2019 6:51 PM

His comparisons of the Mrs. Lovetts of Lansbury, LuPone and Bonham Carter are interesting, too.

Though R202 probably thinks Lucille Ball should have played that part, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222July 14, 2019 6:56 PM

Recently Valerie has been doing some voice work on The Simpsons.

by Anonymousreply 223July 14, 2019 7:32 PM

Rather late, aren't you R223?

by Anonymousreply 224July 14, 2019 7:44 PM

Oh, yeah, and where the hell is Mary Tyler Moore's MD husband Robert Levine? He should be contributing a lot.

by Anonymousreply 225July 14, 2019 7:48 PM

[quote]He serves up clips citing where Ball can't sing, dance, or deliniate acting choices.

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 226July 14, 2019 7:53 PM

You’re cute, r223. A little slow, but cute.

by Anonymousreply 227July 14, 2019 7:54 PM

Re; the commenter above who asked if I could email Valerie's daughter about the go fund me- sadly no. I was very disappointed to see when I logged into eBay the other day, all of our exchanges were automatically deleted by eBay, as they don't keep them for more than 6 months. Also, she deactivated her account. I do have and plan to actually mail an inquiry because I kept the FedEx envelope with her daughters home address. I just hope that doesn't seem too intruding to them.

by Anonymousreply 228July 14, 2019 8:19 PM

r208 and r228, Valerie's daughter confirmed on her Twitter that this is a real campaign.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229July 14, 2019 10:24 PM

Valerie spent all her money on scarves

by Anonymousreply 230July 14, 2019 11:48 PM

I bet Valerie's "friends" are circling Tony Caccioti like hungry turkey vultures.

by Anonymousreply 231July 14, 2019 11:54 PM

Nah, sometimes we imagine celebrities have greater of more privileged lives. A regular person who needs cancer treatment or burial expenses can often raise 10 or 20 thousand dollars on GofundMe accounts. Valerie probably doesn't have a clue this is being done on her behalf. Why don't most here understand that her death is actually here - within weeks? Who knows the state of her finances or what Julie Kavner ALREADY did to help her? I don't feel extra sorry for Rhoda, I feel bad for Valerie's suffering and your shitty health care system and our culture that supports the conservative excuse that the "community" will rise to look after their own. If Val Harper is too broke for at home care, then it can happen to anyone. She hasn't a history of self pity or begging regarding her cancer. She had a curiosity about her disease and treatment and a big warm personality way of sharing the information. She's an actress. She also needed some money and hope. Same as ordinary folk. So she did Dancing With The Stars and some voiceovers. That's what she qualifies for. Well paid, no prestige. She said "Why not me?" when she was diagnosed with the brain cancer. She didn't think she was special and she expressed gratitude for her life. Has anyone seen a photo of her in the last 2 years? I enjoy sarcasm and sick jokes. But the level of cynicism and meanness on display here is not familiar to people who are truly loved. Godspeed Valerie.

by Anonymousreply 232July 15, 2019 12:25 AM

It was posted only a few comments above yours R232 that she knows about the gofundme.

by Anonymousreply 233July 15, 2019 12:28 AM

Thank you, Julie Kavner.

by Anonymousreply 234July 15, 2019 12:28 AM

r231 Why is he majorly hot or well connected? Sadly I think the end is very near for Valerie.

by Anonymousreply 235July 15, 2019 12:34 AM

I notice actor/writer Charles Busch gave $200 to Valerie's gofundme account. It is twice as much as Lucie, and you know drag queens his age don't make much money.

by Anonymousreply 236July 15, 2019 12:38 AM

Charles is obviously a good soul r236

by Anonymousreply 237July 15, 2019 12:41 AM

[quote]It was posted only a few comments above yours [R232] that she knows about the gofundme.

I guess you were incapable of understanding the larger spirit of my post R233? You are also incorrect.

by Anonymousreply 238July 15, 2019 12:43 AM

Read R229 R238.

by Anonymousreply 239July 15, 2019 1:10 AM

Because the GoFundMe campaign is real doesn't mean Val knows about it.

by Anonymousreply 240July 15, 2019 1:14 AM

David Groh didn't come through for her either. Obviously still very bitter.

by Anonymousreply 241July 15, 2019 1:53 AM

He blames Valerie for Kurt's death?

by Anonymousreply 242July 15, 2019 1:56 AM

Groh has been dead for a decade. Dumb cunts on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 243July 15, 2019 1:58 AM

R241, David Groh died in 2008.

by Anonymousreply 244July 15, 2019 1:58 AM

R237, They did a concert version of Auntie Mame for charity some years back. Charles was Mame and Val narrated.

by Anonymousreply 245July 15, 2019 2:00 AM

Val showed up for Lucy but she isn't returning the favor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246July 15, 2019 2:00 AM

Has Armand Linton donated?

by Anonymousreply 247July 15, 2019 2:02 AM

Georgia Engel should be ashamed of herself.

by Anonymousreply 248July 15, 2019 2:06 AM

R241, Just for the record, Richard Schaal is also deceased.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249July 15, 2019 2:06 AM

Lisa Gerritsen, she put you on the map!

by Anonymousreply 250July 15, 2019 2:10 AM

Ed, Betty, Cloris and Betty need to help Val. Ante up!

by Anonymousreply 251July 15, 2019 2:14 AM

Oops two Bettys.^^^

by Anonymousreply 252July 15, 2019 2:14 AM

James L Brooks. Seriously!!!

by Anonymousreply 253July 15, 2019 2:15 AM

Georgia Engel is dead R248. You should be ashamed of yourself desecrating sweet Georgia, a peach of a girl.

by Anonymousreply 254July 15, 2019 2:54 AM

Valerie really didn't have a chance after MTM died. She could turn the life support machine on with her smile.

by Anonymousreply 255July 15, 2019 2:57 AM

Maybe Jeffrey Epstein can buff up his image by swooping in with a big check?

by Anonymousreply 256July 15, 2019 2:57 AM

She needs to go on Hospice, which is covered by Medicare.

by Anonymousreply 257July 15, 2019 2:58 AM

I hope Ro makes 80 in August!

by Anonymousreply 258July 15, 2019 3:00 AM

Who inherited MTM's money?

by Anonymousreply 259July 15, 2019 3:03 AM

Valerie took over the leading role in the Broadway production of "The Tale of the Allergist's Wife" by Charles Busch. She kept his show running profitably when Linda Lavin departed. $200 is not excessive.

by Anonymousreply 260July 15, 2019 3:04 AM

Joyce Bulifant?

Not only played Murray's wife, she married Dick Schaal after Val.

by Anonymousreply 261July 15, 2019 3:22 AM

Too soon R261

by Anonymousreply 262July 15, 2019 3:27 AM

R259

There wasn't any. She spent it all on hats. She had a bad habit of wearing them once then tossing them out

by Anonymousreply 263July 15, 2019 3:31 AM

Joyce Bulifant is likely trying to hold onto whatever sad house in the valley she has. It's not like she is rolling in dough. She's probably still pissed that whore Florence Henderson STOLE the role of Carol Brady right out from under her.

by Anonymousreply 264July 15, 2019 3:33 AM

R259 her husband, surely? The doctor guy who ran off in a huff when Mary called the police that one time. He seemed like a jackass but I'm sure got all her money, or what was left of it.

by Anonymousreply 265July 15, 2019 3:35 AM

We need a better system for end-of-life care. I can see how it might become a slippery slope, but seriously.

I hope I follow family tradition and die of a massive coronary.

by Anonymousreply 266July 15, 2019 3:35 AM

[quote]Dumb cunts on this thread.

I think most of it is sarcasm and making fun of the first guy who honestly suggested a very dead former celebrity help her out.

by Anonymousreply 267July 15, 2019 3:36 AM

Thank you R229, I'm going to donate now that I know it's real.

by Anonymousreply 268July 15, 2019 3:37 AM

My mom had a stroke R266. It was obvious she was not going to recover. The hospital had a hospice wing and my mom was moved there. Within a week the hospital basically told me she wasn't dying fast enough and I should look at taking her home and having round the clock nurses. It is too long of a story to tell here, but I lost all respect for Drs after what I had deal with.

by Anonymousreply 269July 15, 2019 3:40 AM

Valerie and her lazy husband won millions from NBC in that 1988 lawsuit.

by Anonymousreply 270July 15, 2019 4:09 AM

She won $1.4M and got profit participation, which couldn't have been much for a low-rated show that rarely got syndicated. And it was 31 years ago.

You'd know that if you'd read the fucking thread.

by Anonymousreply 271July 15, 2019 4:12 AM

We had a great thread on Valerie's Family/The Hogan Family a while back.

by Anonymousreply 272July 15, 2019 4:44 AM

These gofundme campaigns for Dawn Wells or Valerie are really depressing. Don't get me wrong of how I feel about these actresses, but there are others that are worthy of a donation that will never get one because they are not famous. Instead of donating to a brief cause donate to something where your money will count.

by Anonymousreply 273July 15, 2019 5:16 AM

Even more depressing is that this one has raised a whopping $5,000.

by Anonymousreply 274July 15, 2019 5:23 AM

Medicare does cover skilled nursing care and hospice care. I was in skilled nursing 3 times for broken hips and THR and they cover around 21 days at no cost. Perks of old age.

by Anonymousreply 275July 15, 2019 5:26 AM

Okay, I'll kick in $105.

by Anonymousreply 276July 15, 2019 9:14 AM

Sally Struthers needs to help raise money for Val.

by Anonymousreply 277July 15, 2019 9:33 AM

I read an article recently that Val donated her money from the Hogan Family lawsuit to charity. This is according to her.

by Anonymousreply 278July 15, 2019 1:53 PM

Someone named Charles Levin gave $400,000,000 to her

by Anonymousreply 279July 15, 2019 3:13 PM

[quote] She's probably still pissed that whore Florence Henderson STOLE the role of Carol Brady right out from under her.

Bitch would know about stealing all right

by Anonymousreply 280July 15, 2019 3:14 PM

[quote]I read an article recently that Val donated her money from the Hogan Family lawsuit to charity. This is according to her.

Yes, it was called the "Fake illness / Make Money / Rekindle Your Career / Charity"

by Anonymousreply 281July 15, 2019 3:16 PM

Have Thelma, Buzz, Sonia, Eunice, Mary Ellen, and Naomi helped their kin yet?

by Anonymousreply 282July 15, 2019 3:17 PM

Valerie STOLE the part of Rhoda Morgenstern from ME, and I'm not coming back to fund her!

by Anonymousreply 283July 15, 2019 3:39 PM

Has Nancy Walker donated yet?

by Anonymousreply 284July 15, 2019 3:41 PM

Why don't they check on hospice?

by Anonymousreply 285July 15, 2019 3:43 PM

The family would probably like to keep her at home, for as long as they have a home before our medical system takes it from them.

The GFM drive could stave that off for a few weeks.

by Anonymousreply 286July 15, 2019 4:12 PM

So they want other people to pay for their wishes?

[quote]The family would probably like to keep her at home

I'd like to not go to work, so should I start a GoFundMe?

by Anonymousreply 287July 15, 2019 4:22 PM

Fuck you, R287. Fuck you and your bullshit right-wing Republican selfish view of the world. We have plenty of resources in this country to treat a dying people humanely and with dignity without bankrumpting their families, leaving them both grieving and broke.

The reason we don't have decent health care in this country is stupid selfish people like you.

by Anonymousreply 288July 15, 2019 4:34 PM

^ Bravo r288.

by Anonymousreply 289July 15, 2019 4:47 PM

If she makes it 5 weeks she'll be 80 !

by Anonymousreply 290July 15, 2019 5:06 PM

What would Rhoda at 80 look like?

by Anonymousreply 291July 15, 2019 6:18 PM

How much does she need? I don`t think she is beloved as much as Dawn Welles.

by Anonymousreply 292July 15, 2019 6:34 PM

R269, I’m very sorry.

A family friend died on her 50s when a car she was driving in went off a road in (I think it was) Spain or Italy. She had recently divorced and was on vacation with her new man, they had apparently had a few drinks at dinner and didn’t slow down enough to take the turn.

It was deemed “tragic”, but I think it was a good way to go. Before all the horrible health problems disable you, kids are adults and don’t need you, going out on a high note, quick and probably painless due to the drinks, didn’t hurt anyone else. Better than a long and painful demise.

by Anonymousreply 293July 15, 2019 6:52 PM

[quote]We have plenty of resources in this country to treat a dying people humanely and with dignity without bankrumpting their families, leaving them both grieving and broke.

And going to a hospice is ONE OF THOSE. But it was said, she doesn't want to do that, she wants to remain with her family.

SHE made the choice and wants us to pay for it.

You really are a total asshole, you don't even understand the simple concept of accept responsibility for your choices in life.

by Anonymousreply 294July 15, 2019 8:14 PM

r289

Again, read the fuckin' statement dumbass. She could go to a hospice, that is fine for 99.9% but NO SHE WANTS SOMETHING MORE.

AND SHE EXPECTS OTHERS TO PAY FOR HER OWN CHOICE

Should I tell the cat and have the cat explain it to you? 'Cause the cat's gonna understand.

You are a total dumbass, who probably goes out barebacking and then bitches when taxpayers won't pick up the bill for your social diseases.

by Anonymousreply 295July 15, 2019 8:16 PM

Nice that you have a cat R295. Being crazy and all - I'm sure it's good therapy for you.

by Anonymousreply 296July 15, 2019 8:19 PM

r295

So true, she could go somewhere that she has insurance for but is choosing not to. Reminds me of that Indiana couple who knew they were giving birth to a conjoined twin, they chose to have it. Then when it came it racked up a million dollars worth of medical bills and it died in a month.

Then they went around suing everyone for neglect.

by Anonymousreply 297July 15, 2019 8:19 PM

R294, you can be in hospice AT HOME. What Valerie needs are people to pick her up and put her on the toilet. Bath her, feed her, dress her. In other words, a home health aid. If she needs it 24/7, she's in very bad shape. My mother went through all of that in NYC with the help from aides. Family members could not perform those tasks; Medicare paid for her at home hospital bed, oxygen, RN visits.

by Anonymousreply 298July 15, 2019 8:22 PM

Are you people high? Hospice is still limited in terms of days covered by insurance. You're acting like she's being lazy and entitled.

Bunch of big mouth queens.

by Anonymousreply 299July 15, 2019 8:23 PM

90 days of hospice is covered at home. When you're that sick they expect you to die within three months. Most do.

by Anonymousreply 300July 15, 2019 8:25 PM

"You're acting like she's being lazy and entitled."

That's one poster spewing all that vitriol, r299.

by Anonymousreply 301July 15, 2019 8:59 PM

[quote] Can't Julie Kavner shell out?

She certainly can afford it, but Julie's an anti-social hermit. Despite Valerie giving Julie her big break, I doubt they've kept in contact hardly at all.

by Anonymousreply 302July 15, 2019 9:07 PM

[quote]Medicare does cover skilled nursing care and hospice care. I was in skilled nursing 3 times for broken hips and THR and they cover around 21 days at no cost. Perks of old age.

So your hips DO lie.

by Anonymousreply 303July 15, 2019 9:10 PM

Sally Struthers has donated $250 to Valerie's cancer fund. Perhaps the shaming she received on DL has something to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 304July 15, 2019 10:08 PM

Anything from Linda Lavin?

by Anonymousreply 305July 15, 2019 10:17 PM

E.T. Online, JustJared and Broadway World have all reported on the gofundme campaign for Valerie in just the last few hours. Hopefully the donations will pick up with increased awareness. I gave what I thought was right for me and I'm sure many others will too. I'd like to see it get to at least $75,000.

by Anonymousreply 306July 15, 2019 10:18 PM

Do you think the DataLounge had something to do with the word getting spread?

by Anonymousreply 307July 15, 2019 10:21 PM

Very sad news.

by Anonymousreply 308July 15, 2019 10:23 PM

Still nothing from Kavner.

by Anonymousreply 309July 15, 2019 10:24 PM

Susan Dey’s check is in the mail. Along with her tears.

by Anonymousreply 310July 15, 2019 11:11 PM

Who needs Susan Dey? Gloria is on it. Soon others will follow her example.

[quote]Sally Struthers donated $250 -Tony is an exceptional husband and a devoted caregiver. And my friend Valerie is an angel and a riot. Your battle has been courageous and I hugely admire your strength, courage and humor. I adore you, Valerie Harper. xox

by Anonymousreply 311July 15, 2019 11:15 PM

Some generous showbiz bigwig must have donated to the Cacciotti's privately at this point. Rosie O'Donnell, maybe???

by Anonymousreply 312July 15, 2019 11:51 PM

Not directing this at Val, but one thing this thread's made me think of is, modern medicine has allowed us to prolong life, but at what financial cost? In older times, a sick person would be put in bed, and their family would sit vigil with soup and cool compresses, and the person would eventually waste away. The end.

Now it seems the terminal phase of illnesses can go on a lot longer ... as the bills rack up and up and UP. If you're dying, you're dying. Why fight it?

by Anonymousreply 313July 15, 2019 11:53 PM

R313 I posted upthread about my mom having a stroke. Even with all her directives her lawyers and the hospital lawyers had to get together to honor her living will. The lawyers, the doctors and myself go into a room. There were two or three doctors and I asked them point blank, if it were you mother would you be doing this to her? They all said they would let their mother go. I'm not going to try to second guess their motives, but the emotional pain they put me and my moms friends for 3 weeks was almost unbearable and for what?

by Anonymousreply 314July 16, 2019 12:14 AM

WHERE IS STREISAND???? She's met Valerie, Valerie plugged her name numerous times on MTM...Valerie was our TV Jewish girl, while Barbra was the movies version. Pay up, Babs!

by Anonymousreply 315July 16, 2019 12:28 AM

Val MADE Babs!

by Anonymousreply 316July 16, 2019 12:37 AM

I thought Valerie was Italian.

by Anonymousreply 317July 16, 2019 12:40 AM

Rhoda went to Erasmus High in Brooklyn with Barbra. That was when she advised her not to get a nose job.

by Anonymousreply 318July 16, 2019 12:45 AM

^ her step mother was Italian, that's who she learned the New Yorkese from. In real life, Val is a garden variety WASP :(

by Anonymousreply 319July 16, 2019 12:45 AM

Can you believe that Valerie made a movie with ELLIOTT GOULD and Barbra Streisand didn't contribute??? Elliott's a deadbeat, but Babs?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 320July 16, 2019 12:55 AM

Barbra Streisand wouldn't pay for her own son's funeral. RIP Jason.

by Anonymousreply 321July 16, 2019 1:01 AM

Val has done 7 episodes of The Simpsons, six of them in the last two years. I think it's fair to say she's on okay terms with Julie Kavner, who, yes, is a notorious malcontent.

She's also done voice work on two eps of American Dad, the last of which just aired in April. No on camera work since 2016, if IMDB is correct.

by Anonymousreply 322July 16, 2019 1:03 AM

[Quote] Barbra Streisand wouldn't pay for her own son's funeral. RIP Jason.

Well, she's paid for everything else...

by Anonymousreply 323July 16, 2019 1:05 AM

Fun fact-Sally Struthers and Val tied for supporting actress comedy Emmy in the early 70s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324July 16, 2019 1:18 AM

Julie's not a malcontent, she's just shy and has gotten A LOT more so since the success of the Simpsons. But she's always been very appreciative to those who have worked with her and given her career a boost.

She thinks the work should speak for itself. She doesn't like answering silly questions from fans about Rhoda or The Simpsons. And she absolutely will not do the voice of Marge or any of the others in public, because she feels it shatters the enjoyment of the show.

But there's no bitterness between Kavner and anyone associated with Rhoda. In fact, she gave a rare interview to promote the first season DVD and spoke well of it:

[quote]Valerie Harper and Nancy Walker and Hal Gould and David Groh ... and (behind the scenes) David Davis and James L. Brooks and Lorenzo Music and Allan Burns ... I was the new one. It was my first paying job. But they couldn't have been nicer and more welcoming. It was always, always about the work ... none of that, you know, diva bulls---

No feud there. So stop pretending there is one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325July 16, 2019 1:21 AM

Home hospice is brutal on the family if they're the primary caregivers. It's very demanding in terms of time and effort. Sure dying at home is better for the patient, but it's worse on the family. So if Valerie wants this, I can understand her family wanting to be able to pay for other people to help with the work and share the time.

I'm my mom's primary caregiver, and even with a family member being paid to cover for me while I'm at work, it's hell. I have no life. She can't be left alone, so I can't go anywhere, not even for a few minutes, unless I've made arrangements in advance for someone to cover for me while I'm gone. I'm up at least half a dozen times each night with her. I'm a walking zombie from the sleep deprivation and no, I can't catch up on weekends because I can't be asleep when she's awake, and she wakes up early every day. I have to dress her, help her on and off the toilet, wipe her, and clean up when she has an accident. I have to get help getting her off the floor when she falls down. She even needs help eating. And she's not going through the dying process yet. When that time comes, for my own sanity she'll have to go into hospice. One of my aunts chose to die at home, and while it was nice and easy for her, it was hell on her husband and daughter.

by Anonymousreply 326July 16, 2019 1:23 AM

^Julie should really wear a wig or a scarf or something?

by Anonymousreply 327July 16, 2019 1:24 AM

R326, dripping the sweetness of human kindness, talking about how "nice and easy" it was for "one of" her aunts to die while creating hell for her family.

The selfish terminal case.

Personally, I've been too busy contributing to Joan Van Ark's "Bury Valene at Southfork Fund" for the last 23 years to even think about a drachma for Valerie.

It's not like she didn't see it coming, for fuck's sake.

by Anonymousreply 328July 16, 2019 1:29 AM

Streisand's son Jason died? Wtf?

by Anonymousreply 329July 16, 2019 1:45 AM

Hey, R328, it was easy for my aunt. She got to die at home, in her familiar space, with her family tending her. They naturally didn't tell her the toll it was taking on them. I was present the evening of her death, which was as peaceful as one could wish for.

But after having provided her home hospice care, her husband chose to go to a hospice when it was his time. He had learned from his wife's experience with home hospice, and understood and appreciated that they've got professionals providing most of the care and handling most of the details, lessening the burden and stress on the family.

I'm quite sure if my aunt had realized what home hospice entailed for her family, she would not have chosen it. She was a very generous and charitable woman, and would not have wanted to put her family through that. If they had had the means to hire additional caregivers, they would have done so. If you can't afford to do that, you've got a heavy load.

by Anonymousreply 330July 16, 2019 1:58 AM

[quote]r330 I'm quite sure if my aunt had realized what home hospice entailed for her family, she would not have chosen it. She was a very generous and charitable woman, and would not have wanted to put her family through that.

Val, on the other hand - -

by Anonymousreply 331July 16, 2019 2:05 AM

[quote]Anything from Linda Lavin?

Linda has offered to sing at the funeral and will waive her usual fee.

by Anonymousreply 332July 16, 2019 2:06 AM

Thank you sanctimonious, Julie, R325. You are NOT excused, regardless of you exhaustive lame effort.

by Anonymousreply 333July 16, 2019 2:10 AM

You... had possibilities?

by Anonymousreply 334July 16, 2019 2:10 AM

Any word from Jason Bateman?

by Anonymousreply 335July 16, 2019 5:05 AM

Carlton the doorman will be donating anonymously.

by Anonymousreply 336July 16, 2019 5:06 AM

I'm sorry to hear that Valerie Harper is fading, but then again, I hate spunk.

by Anonymousreply 337July 16, 2019 6:49 AM

Poor Valerie!

by Anonymousreply 338July 16, 2019 7:05 AM

Rhoda will be with Mare. That's some comfort.

by Anonymousreply 339July 16, 2019 7:27 AM

‘I don’t know why I’m drinking this Ensure. I might as well apply it directly to my hips!’

(Val, cracking up the hospice nurse.)

by Anonymousreply 340July 16, 2019 8:55 AM

Valerie's cancer fund is now over $15,000, thanks in part to several $1,000 contributions, including one from actress Frances Fisher.

by Anonymousreply 341July 16, 2019 10:51 AM

Julie Kavner has plenty of money and ample opportunity to share some with Valerie Harper quietly and discreetly, away from the public circus that is Go Fund Me. First it was obligatory RIP tweets, virtually required of everyone in public life when someone else in public life kicks the bucket. Now we have obligatory donations via Go Fund Me. Give too little and be pilloried as a cheap skate. Give too much and be called out as an attention grabbing opportunist.

The whole thing sucks.

by Anonymousreply 342July 16, 2019 1:18 PM

I’ll bet r326 doesn’t have a GoFundMe. And I’ll bet even more his family member didn’t earn anything close to what Valerie earned for the Simpson’s alone.

It’s a shame that by virtue of name recognition only, people are contributing when there’s people that no one has ever heard of in a much worse situation.

by Anonymousreply 343July 16, 2019 1:21 PM

[quote]I don`t think she is beloved as much as Dawn Welles.

So beloved we don’t even spell her name correctly!

[quote]BUSTED THIS GUY TO THE POINT OF EMBARRASMENT

I’d be more embarrassed at your own spelling.

by Anonymousreply 344July 16, 2019 1:22 PM

[quote]Bath her, feed her, dress her.

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 345July 16, 2019 1:23 PM

[quote] Valerie's cancer fund is now over $15,000, thanks in part to several $1,000 contributions, including one from actress Frances Fisher.

Sally Struthers donated a few hundred dollars, as well.

by Anonymousreply 346July 16, 2019 1:24 PM

We know, r346.

by Anonymousreply 347July 16, 2019 1:37 PM

How is Dawn WellEs doing ? Did everything work out ?

by Anonymousreply 348July 16, 2019 1:44 PM

Dawn made over 200 K

by Anonymousreply 349July 16, 2019 1:53 PM

If Bonnie Franklin were alive, she'd make a healthy donation.

by Anonymousreply 350July 16, 2019 2:06 PM

You see, that's the problem with Go Fund Me. It's a pyramid scam. To get any money, you have to be the first to die, while there are still people alive who can donate. If you're the last to die, like Valerie, then you've given all yours away to people who are now dead and there's no one living to give their money to you.

by Anonymousreply 351July 16, 2019 2:10 PM

"I have to get help getting her off the floor when she falls down..."

R326, falls can be deadly for the elderly, why doesn't she have a walker? Rolator walkers are really snazzy - wheels, hand brakes, a seat, a pouch for supplies, they are absolutely fab!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352July 16, 2019 2:25 PM

We know she wouldn’t be donating any bras, r350.

by Anonymousreply 353July 16, 2019 3:06 PM

I hate to donate to GoFundMe, but I LOVE to TAP!

by Anonymousreply 354July 16, 2019 3:42 PM

[quote]r350 If Bonnie Franklin were alive, she'd make a healthy donation.

If it were just online, fine. But I wouldn't want 'Slaps' Romano anywhere near a sick person.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355July 16, 2019 4:40 PM

So Valerie wasn't Italian and Bonnie wasn't Irish...

by Anonymousreply 356July 16, 2019 4:45 PM

I don't think it's coincidence that a Go Fund Me just went up to help pay for Sandy Duncan's new glass eye

by Anonymousreply 357July 16, 2019 5:14 PM

R342= Susan Dey

by Anonymousreply 358July 16, 2019 5:24 PM

What she is asking for, to die at home, is what most people would want.

by Anonymousreply 359July 16, 2019 5:44 PM

Precisely r359

by Anonymousreply 360July 16, 2019 5:50 PM

Already been done, r357.

Starting WAY the fuck back at r145.

by Anonymousreply 361July 16, 2019 5:51 PM

Meredith Vieira should donate. She did a couple specials with her about her cancer battles.

by Anonymousreply 362July 16, 2019 6:26 PM

HOW ABOUT OPRAH???? She loved Mary, can't she support Mary's best friend?

by Anonymousreply 363July 16, 2019 7:33 PM

R356, it's called acting, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 364July 16, 2019 7:37 PM

Gaga hasn't made this all about her yet?

by Anonymousreply 365July 16, 2019 7:56 PM

Val's GFM page is almost at $32K.

by Anonymousreply 366July 17, 2019 2:19 AM

R326/R330 is immune to herself.

How nice for her.

Too bad about others.

by Anonymousreply 367July 17, 2019 2:59 AM

The diseased mind of the miss warwick poster is not welcome here. Shoo.

by Anonymousreply 368July 17, 2019 3:01 AM

I don't have time to read 360 posts in this thread but I read the beginning.

If no one else has given a definitive answer then I will - if she kept up her SAG/AFTRA union membership she should have insurance coverage out the wazoo. We had 24/7 care for my father through his SAG/AFTRA plans and six different kinds of cancer. It was 100% covered.

by Anonymousreply 369July 17, 2019 3:10 AM

You're right, r363. Oprah absolutely ADORED Mary Tyler Moore. Let's hope Oprah can help Mary Richards' best friend Rhoda Morgenstern!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 370July 17, 2019 4:36 AM

A "Go Fund Me" page?

Bitch has some colossal balls. Maybe she should contact Ripley's and put those big cujoñes on display. $25 to see them, $50 to touch them, and $100 to sit on them like Santa's lap, and have your picture taken.

I know poverty. She doesn't have a clue.

by Anonymousreply 371July 17, 2019 4:59 AM

A "Go Fund Me" page?

Bitch has some colossal balls. Maybe she should contact Ripley's and put those big cujoñes on display. $25 to see them, $50 to touch them, and $100 to sit on them like Santa's lap, and have your picture taken.

I know poverty. She doesn't have a clue.

by Anonymousreply 372July 17, 2019 4:59 AM

How much to fuck you Darfur? Stick, ball, Pac-Man and snacks provided.

by Anonymousreply 373July 17, 2019 5:05 AM

Everything in the MSM indicates her husband started this GoFundMe.

So what's to assume he doesn't want to pay while she could. Maybe he wants to keep her money for himself.

by Anonymousreply 374July 17, 2019 6:05 AM

^^ he's the next g-damn Chris Watts, is what he is.

by Anonymousreply 375July 17, 2019 7:55 AM

Except his wife already has one foot in the grave, so why bother?

by Anonymousreply 376July 17, 2019 11:30 AM

It’s the perfect crime, r376!

by Anonymousreply 377July 17, 2019 11:58 AM

Has she sold her "ect sign?" I bet she could get millions for that.

by Anonymousreply 378July 17, 2019 12:59 PM

R369, you forgot Equity. Valerie should have union coverage - 3 - up the wazoo

by Anonymousreply 379July 17, 2019 1:01 PM

Not up the wazoo. That coverage doesn't last forever. You have to work a qualifying amount to get that coverage.

She's almost 80. She's on Medicare, anyway. This is all playing out in the bizarre and treacherous world of Medicare supplemental plans. Good luck figuring any of that out on your own.

by Anonymousreply 380July 17, 2019 1:03 PM

Correct, R374. Val's HUSBAND put this together, don't blame her.

They seem to have had a long happy marriage. Tony Cacciotti was a personal trainer. Not long after he became involved with Valerie, he became an actor, producer, and her personal manager. He may be a nice and sincere guy, but he was dependent on her and her money and lord knows how he was spending.

I read an article once where Valerie credited Mary Tyler Moore in helping her leave her first marriage. Valarie seems needy and passive in her marriages. I'm not saying that Tony Cacciotti is a crook, I'm saying that perhaps she should have been keeping an eye on him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 381July 17, 2019 1:16 PM

[quote] read an article once where Valerie credited Mary Tyler Moore in helping her leave her first marriage. Valarie seems needy and passive in her marriages.

I never got that impression. I recall a 1978 interview and she said Dick Schaal were very friendly but they decided there was no reason to stay married at that point, and it was a mutual decision. I've never seen any interview where Valerie seems to bear any animosity toward him. Now she is an actress so maybe she covered that up?

by Anonymousreply 382July 17, 2019 1:29 PM

Here she talks about her divorce, with an unfortunate unflattering 70s perm

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 383July 17, 2019 1:31 PM

I’m pulling for Valerie even though it doesn’t look good at this point. Horrible how she’s worked 50 years plus in the entertainment industry and has to rely on go fund me at this point.

by Anonymousreply 384July 17, 2019 1:39 PM

r384

Is it any less horrible for a person to work 50 years at Sears and have to rely on a GoFundMe?

Everyone has good and bad things happen in life. She's more fortunate than 99% of us, that at least she had something good happen rather than a string on bad thing or no things at all.

by Anonymousreply 385July 17, 2019 1:43 PM

“She taught me to divorce,” Harper says with a mischievous smile, recalling the day Moore pulled her aside during a rehearsal of Rhoda and whispered that she was separating from her second husband.

R382, Valerie Harper never said anything bad about Richard Schaal or anyone I can think of. She could have been in a dead-end marriage and needed a push to get out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 386July 17, 2019 1:46 PM

They had matching mouths in that pic. 😁😁

by Anonymousreply 387July 17, 2019 1:57 PM

[quote]Has she sold her "ect sign?" I bet she could get millions for that.

Her WHAT sign?

by Anonymousreply 388July 17, 2019 2:07 PM

An anonymous person just donated $5,000.

by Anonymousreply 389July 17, 2019 3:13 PM

I bet it was Murray.

by Anonymousreply 390July 17, 2019 3:32 PM

R389, It was Desi Jr. making up for his sister’s public display of cheapness.

by Anonymousreply 391July 17, 2019 3:59 PM

R385 calm the fuck down. It’s horrible for ANYONE who get sick and can’t pay for treatment.

by Anonymousreply 392July 17, 2019 8:24 PM

Thanks, r388, I was wondering that too! What is r378 talking about? "ect sign?"

by Anonymousreply 393July 17, 2019 8:44 PM

Her "etc" sign that hung in her attic apartment on the MTM show, akin to Mary's "M".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 394July 17, 2019 9:08 PM

The $5000 came from Carlton, her doorman.

by Anonymousreply 395July 17, 2019 9:09 PM

Is r378 dyslexic?

by Anonymousreply 396July 17, 2019 9:12 PM

Yes, R396, Mary was very dyslexic.

by Anonymousreply 397July 17, 2019 10:32 PM

DYSLEXICS UNTIE!

by Anonymousreply 398July 17, 2019 10:47 PM

In the clip that R383 dug up (and agree about the unfortunate perm), it seems like Valerie and Richard Schaal had an conscious uncoupling DECADES before Goop and Chris Martin did.

by Anonymousreply 399July 17, 2019 11:39 PM

Has Cloris chipped in?

by Anonymousreply 400July 18, 2019 12:52 AM

HOW ABOUT LOU GRANT??? They dated for a while...

by Anonymousreply 401July 18, 2019 1:12 AM

Kim Novak just gave 10 bucks. Cheapskate.

by Anonymousreply 402July 18, 2019 1:25 AM

I gave to a go fund me once. It was for a person I kinda knew. Anyway, you can use any name you want to associate with your gift, unless they changed the rules since then.

by Anonymousreply 403July 18, 2019 2:07 AM

So I could donate 25 cents and call myself Mrs. Armand Linton?

by Anonymousreply 404July 18, 2019 2:25 AM

Somebody give 25c in Julie Kavner's name!

by Anonymousreply 405July 18, 2019 2:45 AM

If that's not the real Kim Novak, she should be furious.

by Anonymousreply 406July 18, 2019 3:18 AM

Do Jimmy and Roslyn Carter have any spare cash? Would it kill them to make even the tiniest donation? Ro was kind of a Carter era phenom.

by Anonymousreply 407July 18, 2019 5:09 AM

Jimmy's extra money goes to tracking down killer water rabbits.

by Anonymousreply 408July 18, 2019 5:45 AM

r400

No, I'm sure you'll be able to tell when she does because it'll say "Special Guest Donator, Cloris Leachman"

by Anonymousreply 409July 18, 2019 5:47 AM

R109 So, Danny Bonaduce doesn't get any more Partridge Family money?

by Anonymousreply 410July 18, 2019 5:58 AM

You have to be careful with these GoFundMe deals. My niece is going blind, and a scumbag "friend" of hers set up a GFM account and stole the money. We're in the process of trying to get it back, but...just sayin'.

by Anonymousreply 411July 18, 2019 6:00 AM

8 time Emmy Winner and Academy Award winning Actress Cloris Leachman sends her love. There is nothing more valuable. Val's up to almost $50,000 + Cloris's love.

by Anonymousreply 412July 18, 2019 6:04 AM

Sick!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 413July 18, 2019 12:18 PM

Yikes!

This GFM stuff can go horribly, horribly wrong. But how come the boyfriend didn't face any charges?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 414July 18, 2019 12:27 PM

R414 I think the boyfriend did get charged later on. The homeless guy that was in on the scam was put on a probation and had to go to drug rehab.

by Anonymousreply 415July 18, 2019 2:27 PM

GoFundMe takes a chunk as well

by Anonymousreply 416July 18, 2019 2:55 PM

Actually, GoFundMe doesn't take any money from the donations, but they do ask for a tip.

by Anonymousreply 417July 18, 2019 8:52 PM

This needed be so complicated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 418July 18, 2019 9:43 PM

[quote]So I could donate 25 cents and call myself Mrs. Armand Linton?

Yes, so everyone could know that you're a sad loser and an unhappy troll. Who has never given a donation to any organization or cause, ever.

by Anonymousreply 419July 18, 2019 10:26 PM

Even on their site it is confusing R417. The processing fee, if memory serves me, is taken out of the donation. So your $100 donation is actually 97.40.

by Anonymousreply 420July 18, 2019 10:55 PM

Jeff Probst gave 500

by Anonymousreply 421July 19, 2019 1:54 AM

[quote]Teri Hatcher said she wasn't into buying new cars every few years and that she saves up a lot of money.

Teri Hatcher's house was in foreclosure when Desperate Housewives came along and saved her ass. As of last year she's been renting it out for $25,000 to $30,000 a month. Likewise Virginia Madsen was about to lose her house when she got her Oscar nomination for Sideways. It was Harrison Ford who bailed her out by demanding she be cast as his wife in Firewall.

I was friends with a famous B movie actor who those stupid celebrity worth websites claim has $10 million but he almost got foreclosed on too, only keeping his home by getting involved with some shady people who bought it from him and let him stay there though he has to pay it back at a certain time which he never will because he simply doesn't make enough money from his many low budget movies where he typically only works for a day or two in order to give the filmmakers a "name" to get the movie into obscure festivals or on Amazon Prime thus will one day end up with both legs broken or worse.

People seem to forget that these celebrities aren't just supporting themselves. They're also spending a lot of money on supporting their various family members - ex wives/husbands, kids (including buying or renting a house or apartment for each one), deadbeat siblings, aged parents. Not to mention their agents, managers, lawyers, housekeepers, assistants, landscapers etc.

By the way, is there any proof yet that this Go Fund Me account is actually connected to Valerie?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 422July 19, 2019 2:41 AM

Every major publication has reported on Valerie's Go Fund Me at this point, with some biographical information on her career and illness. The Go Fund Me listing is pretty poorly written but some one must have fact checked that it was legitimate. I gave 50 bucks a few days ago. The donations are coming in much faster now. It's a bit cynical to say that Valerie Harper is begging for money. Her husband (who is also her agent) didn't do it and it all started with a simple twitter post. Tony is 78 and Valerie is 79. I don't think they would be asking for help if they had anything left but a home.

Lots of people don't have a home, that's true. Money and sympathy were not created equally.

by Anonymousreply 423July 19, 2019 3:03 AM

How do we see who donated what?

by Anonymousreply 424July 19, 2019 3:06 AM

Why R424? It's just dollar amounts and maybe a sentence or good will. Have you never given to anyone before?

by Anonymousreply 425July 19, 2019 3:16 AM

[quote]People seem to forget that these celebrities aren't just supporting themselves. They're also spending a lot of money on supporting their various family members - ex wives/husbands, kids (including buying or renting a house or apartment for each one), deadbeat siblings, aged parents. Not to mention their agents, managers, lawyers, housekeepers, assistants, landscapers etc.

Yeah, many celebs have ended up with financial issues to due to family members. There was a thread about Cate Blanchett's disabled brother who is living in poverty in Australia. Some DLers suspected that he's a deadbeat and Cate refuses to support him. If it's true I don't blame her for refusing to support him.

by Anonymousreply 426July 19, 2019 3:28 AM

I'd much rather help a celebrity than a nobody.

by Anonymousreply 427July 19, 2019 3:40 AM

I'd much rather help a celebrity than a nobody.

by Anonymousreply 428July 19, 2019 3:40 AM

Maybe when an actor first makes some real money, he shouldn't buy a mansion he can't afford in the long run when the shine wears off the star.

by Anonymousreply 429July 19, 2019 3:47 AM

I hope Valerie has set up her SAG, AFTRA, and Equity pensions with survivorship benefits for her husband Tony. You take less every month if you choose that option I believe if it's like my parents' teachers' pensions.

by Anonymousreply 430July 19, 2019 3:48 AM

I don't know or even like Valerie Harper's work that much. Is she anything other than Rhoda? The Brooklynese was not put on unless she did it forever? I doubt she lived a glamorous entitled life. She was so open about her diagnosis that people are distrustful of her now. Who cares? Her husband was her "personal trainer" except her really was. They are like 35 years in and he's her manager and caregiver and one of her reasons to live. It's possible they did some early publicity and DWTS for cash. So, don't give her a cent. She said she was ready to go when she was first diagnosed but if you've lived awhile, you know that the desire to live is surprisingly strong, even in the most unhappy and sick people.

I don't give to mothers whose children drown and can't afford to bury them. Or Chris Reeves trying to walk again. But I work with Covenant House and give what I can to no kill animal shelters. I give money to some people outside liquor stores. I ain't hastening the wind of their death - I'm moving their day forward. Do what you want or not want. But when you give to the major charities, be aware that you're donating to a lot of executives. I don't care if Val spends my measly $50 on crack. That's how old I am. Can't find real crack anymore or the ingredients to cook it. Godspeed VH. Pain is real and then it ENDS.

by Anonymousreply 431July 19, 2019 4:05 AM

[quote]r422 By the way, is there any proof yet that this Go Fund Me account is actually connected to Valerie?

That bitch Teri Hatcher is behind it, grifting away...

by Anonymousreply 432July 19, 2019 4:06 AM

They should have a special Tijuana whorehouse for dying celebs. They'd get food and a bed in exchange for a few hours work every day.

It could be a hot tourist stop. You could just take selfies with them naked if you didn't want to go all the way.

by Anonymousreply 433July 19, 2019 4:12 AM

Or a reality show, Dying with the Stars, where we can all eat popcorn while watching them gradually or sharply decline every week.

by Anonymousreply 434July 19, 2019 4:17 AM

[italic]Dying with the Stars ! ![/italic]

OMG!

by Anonymousreply 435July 19, 2019 4:19 AM

Lucie wanted to donate more than $100 but Larry talked her out of it.

by Anonymousreply 436July 19, 2019 4:54 AM

I keep waiting for someone to donate as Helen Lawson.

by Anonymousreply 437July 19, 2019 6:30 AM

Did Valerie do Dancing With The Stars ?

by Anonymousreply 438July 19, 2019 8:39 AM

[quote]This needed be so complicated.

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 439July 19, 2019 11:45 AM

[quote]I was friends with a famous B movie actor who those stupid celebrity worth websites claim has $10 million but he almost got foreclosed on too, only keeping his home by getting involved with some shady people who bought it from him and let him stay there though he has to pay it back at a certain time which he never will because he simply doesn't make enough money from his many low budget movies where he typically only works for a day or two in order to give the filmmakers a "name" to get the movie into obscure festivals or on Amazon Prime thus will one day end up with both legs broken or worse.

Holy fucking run on sentence! And not even a comma to be found!

by Anonymousreply 440July 19, 2019 11:47 AM

[quote]Did Valerie do Dancing With The Stars ?

Yes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 441July 19, 2019 12:51 PM

The real issue is Valerie is getting, treatment which is, cutting edge, AKA, experimental.

This means insurance is not going to pay, unless the treatment is proven.

And from that point it makes sense. It like in the old AIDS days when people would try thinks like, blood heating to get rid of the virus.

If you want non standard treatment you pay for it.

This is where the debate lies, not on getting help, bit getting specialized help.

by Anonymousreply 442July 19, 2019 1:06 PM

Didn’t Nancy Walker leave her the motherload? Or did more homely Bren get it out of pity??

by Anonymousreply 443July 19, 2019 1:57 PM

[Quote] Holy fucking run on sentence! And not even a comma to be found!

[Quote] too,

by Anonymousreply 444July 19, 2019 4:08 PM

What about Jason Bateman? He definitely has some $$$ to give. Valerie's sitcom was his big break.

by Anonymousreply 445July 19, 2019 4:22 PM

Bless you, r444. I probably didn’t see it from being so out of breath reading that thing without a pause.

by Anonymousreply 446July 19, 2019 4:40 PM

This isn't for "cutting edge treatment," this is for 24/7 home heath aides - you know, the kind that watches the client, bathes them, medicates them, feeds, them, puts them on the toilet. Valerie is on the way out and her family cannot handle it. Home health aides cost $20-30 an HOUR.

by Anonymousreply 447July 19, 2019 5:07 PM

She's only got a few weeks left.

by Anonymousreply 448July 19, 2019 5:13 PM

[quote]What about Jason Bateman? He definitely has some $$$ to give. Valerie's sitcom was his big break.

IIRC, Valerie Harper didn't stay on good terms with anyone from that show. On a related note, I wonder if Jason financially helps out his sister Justine. She sort of helped his career get started.

by Anonymousreply 449July 19, 2019 5:38 PM

^ Is she, too, in hospice care?

by Anonymousreply 450July 19, 2019 5:43 PM

Justin broke his sis into the biz actually.

by Anonymousreply 451July 19, 2019 5:49 PM

Justine is writing and directing a movie starring Luke Bracey, Olivia Munn and Justin Theroux. It sounds awful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 452July 19, 2019 5:53 PM

Anyone know if Valerie has siblings, nephews, nieces, cousins, etc.?

by Anonymousreply 453July 19, 2019 6:10 PM

From Wikipedia:

[quote]Harper was born in Suffern, New York, the daughter of Iva Mildred (née McConnell; February 8, 1910—Oct 7, 1988)[3] and Howard Donald Harper (January 10, 1907- September, 1981). Her father was a lighting salesman, and her mother was born in Canada and trained as a nurse. She is the middle child of three siblings. She has an older sister, Leah; a younger brother, Merrill (who later took the name "Don") and a half-sister, Virginia, from her father's second marriage

by Anonymousreply 454July 19, 2019 6:13 PM

[quote] Yes, so everyone could know that you're a sad loser and an unhappy troll. Who has never given a donation to any organization or cause, ever.

You're clearly not an MTM fan if you didn't understand the joke.

by Anonymousreply 455July 19, 2019 6:52 PM

I won cookie!

by Anonymousreply 456July 19, 2019 8:00 PM

I wonder if her funeral will be anything like Chuckles the Clown's?

by Anonymousreply 457July 19, 2019 10:22 PM

They tried to recapture that chuckles the clown shit in MTM anniversary episodes and recollection specials. It was NEVER funny!

by Anonymousreply 458July 19, 2019 10:38 PM

Yes, R458, the Chuckles the Clown death episode was a one joke disaster. The ONLY reason it is remembered as "one of the best" is because it's a male show - no Phyllis, no Sue Ann, no Rhoda - they had all (almost) left, and now the boys could dictate which episodes were best.

by Anonymousreply 459July 20, 2019 2:45 AM

^^ Bullshit! Sue Ann, Georgette and Mary all had good lines in the episode. It is one of Mary's best performances on the sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 460July 20, 2019 4:24 AM

[quote]I don't know or even like Valerie Harper's work that much. Is she anything other than Rhoda?

Valerie started on Broadway in the cast of "L'il Abner" when she was nineteen and can also be seen in the film version. Whether on Broadway, television, or film, Valerie Harper has worked pretty consistently for sixty years.

Most people STILL know and love her as Rhoda Morgenstern, a character she began playing in 1970, practically fifty years ago! She's had an enviable career.

by Anonymousreply 461July 20, 2019 5:38 AM

Did Lee "Fay" Grant contribute anything? See says yes to everything - no? Or is she still processing her years on the blacklist?

by Anonymousreply 462July 20, 2019 6:36 AM

Lee Grant died in 2013.

by Anonymousreply 463July 20, 2019 6:40 AM

Lee Grant will be very surprised to learn that she's deceased.

by Anonymousreply 464July 20, 2019 7:22 AM

The GFMP is nearing $62K.

Should Valerie die within the next two weeks, what's to stop Tony from using the money for whatever he wants?

by Anonymousreply 465July 20, 2019 7:26 AM

She certainly won't be able to register that emotion in her face.

by Anonymousreply 466July 20, 2019 7:27 AM

The money raised so far R465 won't even cover two weeks of care.

by Anonymousreply 467July 20, 2019 2:00 PM

Uh-oh. Barneys is circling the drain, too.

Another Go Fund Me page in the offing?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 468July 20, 2019 4:34 PM

Did Rhoda ever do Barney's windows?

by Anonymousreply 469July 20, 2019 4:45 PM

Barney's should do a "Windows by Rhoda" display in honor of Valerie! It would be great publicity!

by Anonymousreply 470July 20, 2019 4:52 PM

Who doesn't love a good tie-in between a beloved dying celebrity and a dying department store?

by Anonymousreply 471July 20, 2019 7:27 PM

Short of cash at the moment - - but I could send an old dildo (or two) to help ease her final days (?)

by Anonymousreply 472July 20, 2019 7:33 PM

Valerie had a decent movie career in the 70's, earning Golden Globe nominations for Freebie and the Bean and Chapter two.

She must have remained on good terms with some of the Hogan Family cast members. She cast the one kid's sister on her sitcom The City.

by Anonymousreply 473July 20, 2019 7:42 PM

[quote]r473 Valerie had a decent movie career in the 70s

[italic]NIGHT TERROR (Made-for-TV) A housewife is stalked by a psychopathic killer after she sees him shoot down a highway patrolman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 474July 20, 2019 9:03 PM

R473, Val also co-starred in the last movie Natalie Wood lived to complete, "The Last Married Couple in America".

by Anonymousreply 475July 20, 2019 9:54 PM

Has Robert Wagner donated to Val? Or he is broke from paying off people to keep quiet about what really happened the night Natalie died?

by Anonymousreply 476July 21, 2019 1:18 AM

Valerie is amazing.

She has deified the odds for such a long time! It seems like forever.

Whaddawoman!

by Anonymousreply 477July 21, 2019 1:19 AM

Don't Go to Sleep is merely fabulous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 478July 21, 2019 1:24 AM

I loved Val in Chapter Two and Last Married Couple. She deserved a bigger movie career.

by Anonymousreply 479July 21, 2019 1:40 AM

This TV movie was bad-good, and features DL Fave Brenda Vaccaro, as well as Harper & Gould.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 480July 21, 2019 1:51 AM

[quote]they were giving birth to a conjoined twin

Just the one, Dear?

by Anonymousreply 481July 21, 2019 11:29 PM

Poor Valerie had to act with that dead beat asshole lump of a no-talent, Elliott Gould :( I didn't know that.

by Anonymousreply 482July 22, 2019 12:24 AM

r482=Barbra Brolin

by Anonymousreply 483July 22, 2019 4:02 AM

I loved when the MTM ladies did an episode of "Hot in Cleveland" in 2013.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 484July 22, 2019 5:32 AM

Is she dead yet?

I'm fuckin' sick of this topic.

#GoVal

by Anonymousreply 485July 22, 2019 5:52 AM

What about all those kids who sang "La la la la la..." in the second year?

I hope they are giving.

by Anonymousreply 486July 22, 2019 5:53 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 487July 22, 2019 6:03 AM

The go fund me is only at 65K after 10 days. That is peanuts in terms of medical costs. Why are her fans being so stingy?

by Anonymousreply 488July 22, 2019 6:54 AM

R494, I would have liked that show much better had they played their original MTM characters. It was ghoulish in that everyone could see and tell that Mary was blind.

by Anonymousreply 489July 22, 2019 3:39 PM

Val's GFMP is no longer accepting donations. Her husband posted a message stating that two unnamed "angels" have come forward to provide Val with all future needs.

So, who are they? Oprah and Rosie?

by Anonymousreply 490July 23, 2019 11:06 PM

I'll donate to her care when she's dead. Once burned...

by Anonymousreply 491July 23, 2019 11:08 PM

Her husband left a bit of a blind item (I guess only fun/useful if the people he mentions are famous). I wonder if said ANGELS will refund the donations? A lot of the donations were small, and those are usually from people who need that money the most.

"There are two special ANGELS on this planet masquerading as humans who live and work together, that have made it possible to have all of Val’s needs taken care of."

by Anonymousreply 492July 23, 2019 11:31 PM

NPH & What's-His-Name?????

Elton & David????

by Anonymousreply 493July 23, 2019 11:33 PM

Jaclyn Smith and Cheryl Ladd?

by Anonymousreply 494July 23, 2019 11:33 PM

Rosie

by Anonymousreply 495July 23, 2019 11:33 PM

Glad they had someone help them so generously.

by Anonymousreply 496July 23, 2019 11:35 PM

Two loaded people who live AND work together.

Also angels may be a clue or just in caps for emphasis.

by Anonymousreply 497July 23, 2019 11:35 PM

Nate and Jeremiah

by Anonymousreply 498July 23, 2019 11:36 PM

Nate and Jeremiah

by Anonymousreply 499July 23, 2019 11:36 PM

Bill and Hillary

by Anonymousreply 500July 23, 2019 11:40 PM

Any chance I could get my $100 back?

by Anonymousreply 501July 23, 2019 11:41 PM

Bill and Melinda Gates

by Anonymousreply 502July 23, 2019 11:44 PM

Bill and Melinda Gates

by Anonymousreply 503July 23, 2019 11:44 PM

What about my ten bucks?

by Anonymousreply 504July 23, 2019 11:46 PM

Mark Burnett and Roma Downey - ANGELS

I'm gonna go with it. I just googled Valerie Harper and Roma Downey and they were at least friends.

by Anonymousreply 505July 23, 2019 11:52 PM

That's a great guess r505!

by Anonymousreply 506July 24, 2019 12:01 AM

Why in the world would Elton John care about Valerie Harper, r493? He's British.

by Anonymousreply 507July 24, 2019 12:56 AM

Rhoda crossed all racial, age, class, and geographic barriers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 508July 24, 2019 12:59 AM

It's going to happen tonight or tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 509July 24, 2019 3:17 AM

I think R505's guess is the best one.

by Anonymousreply 510July 24, 2019 3:22 AM

Betty White is going to outlive everyone.

by Anonymousreply 511July 24, 2019 3:26 AM

R511 No, she wont. I will.

by Anonymousreply 512July 24, 2019 3:30 AM

Or Cloris Leachman R511.

by Anonymousreply 513July 24, 2019 3:41 AM

Shelley Hack and Tanya Roberts?

by Anonymousreply 514July 24, 2019 4:38 AM

Fuck Cloris Leachman.

Oh, wait. Maybe I have.

by Anonymousreply 515July 24, 2019 4:38 AM

I think it was Oprah and Gayle.

by Anonymousreply 516July 24, 2019 4:42 AM

Sandy Duncan and Don Correia?

by Anonymousreply 517July 24, 2019 4:46 AM

Ellen and Portia?

by Anonymousreply 518July 24, 2019 5:03 AM

Val no longer needs your non help. I'm glad to hear it. Rosie is a generous woman but lord jesus she hasn't had a good paying job in 15 years and she's got 5 kids, 1 grandbaby, many therapists and 4 ex wives to support. She was close to being a mogul but she gave away money like she was.

Oprah and Ellen are billionaires, more or less.

Sandry Bullock. Some ancient gays? People love Rhoda? It's only a couple hundred thousand to someone. I'm not being flip. It's so much better this way. GoFundMe's are humiliating except in times of tragedy for people who never had much to begin with. Any kind of benefactor is a good one. Though a standard universal healthcare system like most other civilizations have would probably have prevented a need to beg. Other countries support and pay for people to die at home or hospice care. It's cheaper and more humane. Some paperwork and organization of care is involved. The socialized systems that amuricans fear work quite beautifully for so many people.

Go ON old Rhoda! Someone financially comfortable cares about you. Pass in peace. But really leave this time, alright.

by Anonymousreply 519July 24, 2019 5:23 AM

...seriously, though, could I get my $100 back...

by Anonymousreply 520July 24, 2019 7:03 AM

Dammit Lucie! I tried and tried to talk you out of giving that c-note but would you listen? NO!

Some shit about just because my name starts with an "L" and not a "G"... well I hope this will teach you a lesson!

by Anonymousreply 521July 24, 2019 7:11 AM

Lucie really needs that hundred bucks back. The I Love Lucy royalties ain't what they used to be.

by Anonymousreply 522July 24, 2019 7:17 AM

Why don't you come on over, Valerie.

by Anonymousreply 523July 24, 2019 7:21 AM

Stop making a fool out of me. Valerie. I loved you for a hundred.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 524July 24, 2019 8:11 AM

Valerie just booked Love Island.

by Anonymousreply 525July 24, 2019 6:54 PM

[quote]Though a standard universal healthcare system like most other civilizations have would probably have prevented a need to beg. Other countries support and pay for people to die at home or hospice care. It's cheaper and more humane

You are not understanding this. Valerie Harper is not getting standard approved healthcare. She is using experimental treatments. NO INSURANCE ANYWHERE covers this. Not even in Europe would it be covered.

If Valerie was using standard approved healthcare she'd be covered.

by Anonymousreply 526July 24, 2019 10:25 PM

At this point R526 it looks more like end of life.

by Anonymousreply 527July 24, 2019 10:26 PM

Why is it Jason Bateman helping her? He's loaded. Weren't they on a show together.

by Anonymousreply 528July 24, 2019 10:59 PM

Why is it Jason Bateman helping her? He's loaded. Weren't they on a show together.

by Anonymousreply 529July 24, 2019 10:59 PM

MTM and Valerie both die at 80.

by Anonymousreply 530July 24, 2019 11:07 PM

As old as the MTM Show is, it's surprising so many cast members are still alive! It premiered 50 years ago next year, and so far has only lost two major cast members. And none of them were kids when the show began!

by Anonymousreply 531July 25, 2019 1:37 PM

It actually is pretty amazing when you think about it like that, r531.

by Anonymousreply 532July 25, 2019 1:40 PM

They should do a reboot!

by Anonymousreply 533July 25, 2019 1:42 PM

It is amazing. Betty White, Ed Asner and Cloris Leachman were already middle-aged when the show began. And they're still kicking 50 years later.

by Anonymousreply 534July 25, 2019 1:43 PM

Mary Saves!

by Anonymousreply 535July 25, 2019 1:49 PM

It could be Rosie. She frequently and nonchalantly humblebrags that she's rich. If she has money managers who invested her money well, she probably still has a pile of cash in the bank.

She was raised by her TV set, and the characters on it were her friends. She was a teen in the 70s, and Rhoda was a character with dark hair who sounded like Rosie and always wanted to lose weight. I think it was the View (during her first stint) when Rosie talked about having taking acting classes when she was younger. The instructor would always get on to her to tone down her accent and would tell her, "We're not casting the role of Rhoda Morganstern."

by Anonymousreply 536July 25, 2019 2:01 PM

It said two people that live and work together so that eliminates Rosie R536.

by Anonymousreply 537July 25, 2019 2:33 PM

[quote] so far has only lost two major cast members.

What am I -- chopped liver?

by Anonymousreply 538July 25, 2019 2:33 PM

Until Rose Marie and Ann Morgan Guilbert passed away recently, there were still a lot of Dick Van Dyke Show alumni alive, including Dick himself and Carl Reiner.

by Anonymousreply 539July 25, 2019 2:35 PM

".She frequently and nonchalantly humblebrags that she's rich. If she has money managers who invested her money well, she probably still has a pile of cash in the bank."

That's an oxymoron, R536. If Rosie's heavily invested, which she should be, her "cash pile" is in stocks and bonds. The story you relate about her being called Rhoda is an oft told story from her HS years, not acting class.

by Anonymousreply 540July 25, 2019 2:40 PM

If it was Rosie, she wouldn’t shut up about it. We’d know.

by Anonymousreply 541July 25, 2019 4:11 PM

Whoops...sorry, Georgette! My bad.

by Anonymousreply 542July 25, 2019 5:01 PM

I could see Rosie donating as a joint thing with her wife of the month. Thought the money would really be Rosie's, of course.

by Anonymousreply 543July 25, 2019 7:04 PM

*Though

by Anonymousreply 544July 25, 2019 7:04 PM

Rosie O reunites Rhoda and Mary......again.

by Anonymousreply 545July 25, 2019 7:11 PM

What's wrong with the links?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 546July 25, 2019 7:13 PM

It was Marla Gibbs and Jackee.

by Anonymousreply 547July 25, 2019 8:54 PM

Lenny and Squiggy?

Pat and Vanna?

Len Goodman and Bruno Tonioli?

by Anonymousreply 548July 25, 2019 11:03 PM

World, this is your last chance!

by Anonymousreply 549July 25, 2019 11:25 PM

Any chance that ‘Rhoda’ and ‘Valerie’ will pop up next year in the ‘Popular New Girl Baby Names’ lists?

Would be a sweet legacy.

by Anonymousreply 550July 25, 2019 11:46 PM

Rosie has said that when she auditioned for a role in a college play or theatre calss, the director/professor said "The part of Rhoda Morganstern has already been cast." I think besides her love for TV, this bonded her with Valerie. My bet is on Rosie.

I think people are reading a little too far into Tony's statement about angles who live together.

by Anonymousreply 551July 26, 2019 12:12 AM

Tommy and Gio?

by Anonymousreply 552July 26, 2019 12:27 AM

Zander and Troy?

by Anonymousreply 553July 26, 2019 12:29 AM

=====

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 554July 26, 2019 3:34 AM

Myrna Morgenstein?

by Anonymousreply 555July 26, 2019 3:45 AM

Salé and Pelletier. Where do I begin...

by Anonymousreply 556July 26, 2019 4:47 AM

Miller and Boyett?

by Anonymousreply 557July 26, 2019 5:11 AM

The Captain and Tennille!

by Anonymousreply 558July 26, 2019 1:37 PM

The Captain's dead R558

by Anonymousreply 559July 26, 2019 4:15 PM

Right, r559! It looks like Tony may be free soon! I like the sound of Tony and Toni

by Anonymousreply 560July 27, 2019 12:28 AM

New articles have come out detailing Valerie's condition. One really upset me. It was an interview with her daughter, who hasn't seen her since February.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 561August 2, 2019 2:28 AM

At least she's avoiding going out in the humiliating blaze of ass cancer, like Farrah.

by Anonymousreply 562August 2, 2019 2:49 AM

Yes. It's terrible. And it's August and her daughter hasn't seen her dying mother since February.

So what's the story THERE?

by Anonymousreply 563August 2, 2019 4:06 AM

R563, She's adopted.

by Anonymousreply 564August 2, 2019 5:52 AM

Really R563. I would be by my mom's bedside. As a matter of fact I was after she had a stroke.

by Anonymousreply 565August 2, 2019 12:56 PM

Maybe Valerie doesn't want anyone by her bedside.

A lot of people don't like to be bothered when they're sick.

by Anonymousreply 566August 2, 2019 1:56 PM

I would have been Krazy Glued to her bedside despite her wishes.

by Anonymousreply 567August 2, 2019 2:33 PM

The daughter was adopted at age 5. It's interesting that a celeb back in the 80s didn't adopt an infant or a toddler like most celebs did back then and still do today.

by Anonymousreply 568August 2, 2019 2:42 PM

R566, the answer is TONY TONY TONY

by Anonymousreply 569August 2, 2019 3:11 PM

[quote]I would have been Krazy Glued to her bedside despite her wishes.

Because that’s exactly what dying people want, deserve, and need, their last wishes ignored.

It’s not always all about you.

by Anonymousreply 570August 2, 2019 3:13 PM

Both Patti and Ron stopped visiting President Reagan for quite a while when he no longer knew who they were. They only resumed their visits near the end.

by Anonymousreply 571August 2, 2019 3:57 PM

R570, I was writing as how I would have imagined benevolently yet pushy Ida Morgenstern would have reacted . Please reread my post.

Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 572August 2, 2019 7:07 PM

Sad.😥

by Anonymousreply 573August 2, 2019 10:51 PM

R571, Patty and Ron Reagan disliked their father.

by Anonymousreply 574August 3, 2019 2:48 PM

Short, but great article about Valerie Harper.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 575August 4, 2019 9:34 PM

She is good people.

by Anonymousreply 576August 4, 2019 9:39 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 577August 17, 2019 6:14 PM

Did her step daughter help her with all the American Dad money?

by Anonymousreply 578August 20, 2019 4:20 PM

Still hangin' in there, Val?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 579August 27, 2019 7:09 PM

Happy 80th birthday Valerie!

by Anonymousreply 580August 28, 2019 2:43 AM

It's sure been a long drawn-out process, her dying. Can't they speed things up a little?

by Anonymousreply 581August 28, 2019 3:19 AM

She’s still alive??

by Anonymousreply 582August 28, 2019 3:21 AM

Not any more.

by Anonymousreply 583August 30, 2019 10:53 PM

Beloved sitcom star Valerie Harper has died after a long battle with brain cancer, according to multiple reports on Friday. She was 80.

Best known for her role as Rhoda Morgenstern on “The Mary Tyler Moore Show” and its spinoff “Rhoda” in the 1970s, Harper was diagnosed with leptomeningeal carcinomatosis, a rare and incurable form of brain cancer, in January 2013.

by Anonymousreply 584August 30, 2019 11:05 PM

We’ll need a “part 2”.

by Anonymousreply 585August 30, 2019 11:06 PM

Valerie has died, per the Hollywood Reporter.

by Anonymousreply 586August 30, 2019 11:23 PM

She doesn't need our help any longer.

by Anonymousreply 587August 31, 2019 12:05 AM

Somebody’s got to carry that casket, R587!

by Anonymousreply 588August 31, 2019 1:27 AM

Who do I contact for a refund? I donated $100 and now she’s dead.

by Anonymousreply 589August 31, 2019 1:33 AM

Can I have her scarves?

by Anonymousreply 590August 31, 2019 2:41 AM

"Valerie has died, per the Hollywood Reporter."

Thank you, R586. I soooooo much prefer the stark truth over "she 'passed away' on little wings."

by Anonymousreply 591August 31, 2019 2:45 AM

R589, Lucie, is that you?

by Anonymousreply 592August 31, 2019 3:01 AM

She doesn't anymore.

by Anonymousreply 593October 31, 2019 3:50 PM

Was that really necessary, R593?

by Anonymousreply 594October 31, 2019 5:37 PM

Yes, R594, it was quite useful.

I looked at the thread title and wasn't sure whether she was dead yet or not. I went to the end of the thread to find out.

Many thanks, R593.

by Anonymousreply 595October 31, 2019 5:40 PM

Was she buried in Minneapolis where it's cold and she'll keep better?

by Anonymousreply 596October 31, 2019 6:59 PM

Now that she's dead half the fun of this site is gone. Still we don't really know WHAT killed her do we? I never saw no death certificate. For all we know she could've got run over by a bus.

by Anonymousreply 597October 31, 2019 10:41 PM

Hmm. Maybe the mystery will keep this thread alive.

by Anonymousreply 598November 1, 2019 5:02 AM

Is Val Harper still alive? I thought she was dead?

by Anonymousreply 599July 16, 2020 2:33 PM

I heard the Rona got er.

by Anonymousreply 600July 16, 2020 2:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!