Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Lion King is ROTTEN!

I am starting another thread because the OP of the other one called it “Beyoncé’s Lion King” because he wanted to blame a black woman for the movie’s failure rather than the greedy white executives who plundered Disney’s heritage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37September 11, 2019 9:17 PM

LITERAL VIOLENCE!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1July 11, 2019 10:17 PM

Looks missable to me.

by Anonymousreply 2July 11, 2019 10:19 PM

It will still make tons of money, because most people are dumb and don't care about quality.

by Anonymousreply 3July 11, 2019 10:21 PM

Pee-Yoo-It-Sucks-uh

by Anonymousreply 4July 11, 2019 10:23 PM

Don't worry, the new black Ariel will make up for this disaster.

by Anonymousreply 5July 11, 2019 10:23 PM

It must be very different from the cartoon if the lead is now a middle aged woman?

by Anonymousreply 6July 11, 2019 10:27 PM

Mulan looks decent but will flop worse than Dumbo because it won't have the songs or Mushu. Instrumentals allegedly will be featured but that doesn't count. Disney wants Mulan to be Wonder Woman but I don't think America will bite.

by Anonymousreply 7July 11, 2019 10:29 PM

I saw a a couple clips and it looks stale and bland, with little character to it.

by Anonymousreply 8July 11, 2019 10:29 PM

I read somewhere about Mulan bowing to China's pressure on something and the film was therefore horrible.

by Anonymousreply 9July 11, 2019 10:30 PM

It looks like when schizophrenics say they hear animals talking

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 11, 2019 10:35 PM

Ugh, but Mulan looks to be a decent film... way above Lion King and Aladdin.

by Anonymousreply 11July 11, 2019 10:35 PM

Here's info on what they're doing to Mulan to appease China

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 11, 2019 10:42 PM

Mulan Rouge!

by Anonymousreply 13July 11, 2019 10:43 PM

While ripping on Beyonce is assuredly fun, nothing ever beats hating on old, straight, rich white men.

by Anonymousreply 14July 12, 2019 12:07 AM

For this version, they cut The Morning Report!

by Anonymousreply 15July 12, 2019 12:11 AM

R14 Yaaaaaaaawwwwwnnnnn. So tedious.

by Anonymousreply 16July 12, 2019 12:19 AM

Billy Eichner and Seth Rogan steal the show

by Anonymousreply 17July 21, 2019 1:53 PM

That clip at R10 was amusing, if you ask me.

by Anonymousreply 18July 21, 2019 2:06 PM

I can imagine the meetings! "Come on you guys we need to come up with something original and unique!" "I know! we can remake all of our classic animated movies as Live action or CGI movies we call Live Action!" "Terry... you are a fucking genius!"

by Anonymousreply 19July 21, 2019 2:15 PM

After watching R10, now I wanna go watch it. Probably take the nephews on discount Tuesdays.

by Anonymousreply 20July 21, 2019 2:19 PM

It doesn't even matter if it flops because the Mouse House now owns all the Marvel movies, Avatar, etc. They have something like 20 blockbusters lined up to go, all based on already proven properties too.

But people will keep going.

by Anonymousreply 21July 21, 2019 2:20 PM

One of the Hyenas is hilarious

by Anonymousreply 22July 21, 2019 2:33 PM

Saw it last night. It's terrible. A half faded copy. All the voices, speaking or singing, are inferior to the original. The music is half hearted and not nearly as lush as it should be. The visuals, despite being expensive, all take on an ordinary quality. Without the abstract beauty that animations brings, they just sit there on the screen. All that Disney magic evaporates. And because real animals don't emote in the way that humans do, they have these blank looks on their faces almost the whole time, making it difficult to empathize with them. And so boring. You just keep waiting for the next iconic scene to see if they can even get close and they miss every time.

by Anonymousreply 23July 21, 2019 5:14 PM

[quote] Don't worry, the new black Ariel will make up for this disaster.

I for one cannot wait for the FTM Hercules in a wheelchair!

by Anonymousreply 24July 21, 2019 5:18 PM

There's only so many Disney remakes that could be made. I feel Disney is gonna begin remaking Pixar movies soon enough with real ppl. I could only imagine Ratatouille!

by Anonymousreply 25July 21, 2019 5:26 PM

What an awesome weekend for Disney. After pulling the veil off their awesome 2020 and 2021 theatrical and streaming slate for Marvel here at Comic-Con, and unseating Avatar as the highest grossing film of all-time with Avengers: Endgame (north of $2.7897 billion), their remake of The Lion King ripped up the July record for best domestic opening with an estimated $192M, easily defeating prior 2011 champ Harry and the Deathly Hallows Part 2‘s $169.1M. Saturday drew an estimated $61.6M, -21% from Friday’s $78.5M which included $23M Thursday night previews.

Disney is reporting $185M this morning for the weekend, but everyone else sees the Jon Favreau-directed pic higher. As we mentioned in the previous update, Lion King is Favreau’s highest opening ever; it’s also the highest opening for a Disney animation reboot after Beauty and the Beast‘s $174.7M. The international weekend for Lion King was $269.4M, global weekend was $454.4M. This puts the overseas running total at $346M, and global cume at $531M (all per Disney’s calculations).

by Anonymousreply 26July 21, 2019 7:58 PM

HUGE box office smash 📰

by Anonymousreply 27July 21, 2019 7:58 PM

Disney has always been about propaganda... it's heritage can rot in hell...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 22, 2019 2:56 AM

I have an idea: I can cut up photos of the original animated Lion King characters, paste them onto actors, and then do a live-action version that will also be cartoony at the same time. It would be sooooo awesome. No Russell you creep, it's MY fucking idea!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 22, 2019 3:05 AM

Disney's #TheLionKing edged out #Incredibles2 to score the ninth-biggest domestic opening of all time at the #boxoffice this weekend

by Anonymousreply 30July 22, 2019 3:10 AM

#thanksforlettingusknow #blessed

by Anonymousreply 31July 22, 2019 10:06 AM

Why doesn't Disney mine the wealth of children's stories and fables from around the world -- tens of thousands, I'm sure -- and find some gems that most of us don't know, instead of recycling these well-known tales?

The remake frenzy is depressing.

by Anonymousreply 32July 22, 2019 10:12 AM

Because of the huge opening, Beyoncé will now appear in a multitude of movies

by Anonymousreply 33July 22, 2019 10:30 AM

After Disney takes care of the nostalgia factor with 30 year old fraus and man- children they won't have much to offer. America get ready for Frozen and Toy Story 5 for the new generation. Oh God, this shit is not gonna end anytime soon! Bro. Take a risk with the story telling

by Anonymousreply 34July 23, 2019 3:02 AM

Audiences rated it very highly. Critics Again were snubbed by everyday audiences

by Anonymousreply 35July 23, 2019 4:56 AM

thank god i don't have to look at eichner

by Anonymousreply 36July 23, 2019 5:16 AM

However poor the remake is, it can't be worse than the LION GUARD tv shitshow they made for kids. Thanks to my niece's crotchfruit I'm now an expert on the new revised Lore so AMA.

Everything is retconned and changed in LG, and I mean everything. It's set just before the second animated moive takes place. Kiara has an older brother named Kion who runs a Pridelands police force of various incompatible animals such as a hyena, a cheetah & a honey badger; there are amicable miniature territories and kingdoms of lions all over the Pridelands who unquestionably obey Simba; Mufasa is on speed-dial to his grandson even though he's at peace in the Afterlife and won't talk to his own son unless he begs; Scar is partly still-alive as a Force-ghost (well, a talking lava-spirit in a volcano); and Savannah animals have superpowers. Even the new songs are fucking terrible and not in any way memorable. I feel sorry for kids raised on this.

The only plus points are the animation (which continues in the same style as the original movies) and that the dark 'Outlander' lions of the second movie like Zira & Vitani appear again with expanded storylines (see the clip at the link). Given the successful twenty year-run of the stage-show I don't know why D--ney haven't just commissioned a musical based on LK II, instead of CGI remakes and starting a dreadful kids' channel interquel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37September 11, 2019 9:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!